Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Netflix Streaming Thread 2.0

• Please log in to reply
2446 replies to this topic

#931 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:04 AM

There's really no point in continuing to argue about this.

Everyone has their own budgets and their own level of interest in tv/movies (and in the types of tv/movies on Netflix streaming) and that will determine whether one thinks the disc + streaming combo is worth it or not at the new price.

For me, with the amount of movies I watch a month and the current streaming content not being all that aligned with the types of things I watch, it's not worth it. I'll go to disc only, and maybe switch to blockbuster to avoid the 28 day delays etc. if the turn around time is the same and the selection of discs ok for my interests.

For others who stream a ton, and don't watch many discs, they can go streaming only. For those who use both a ton, it's still a good deal and and most will keep it.

It's really as simple as that. No sense arguing over it, and I regret wasting time contributing to the argument earlier. It really doesn't matter the reasons for the increase etc. All that matters is whether you think any of the new plans are personally a good value based on how much you use the service, your budget etc.

Edited by dmaul1114, 15 July 2011 - 02:10 PM.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#932 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:31 AM

why are you guys arguing?

Netflix' cost are DEFINITELY going up for streaming content, hence the price hike.

it's not rocket science.

Destro1.gif            DestroVega.jpg

#933 StarKnightX

StarKnightX

will hook you up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:49 AM

Question , if I change my plan to streaming only does my dvd queue get erased or will I just not receive anything from them? If it does get erased would it be restored if I were to add dvds back to my plan , or would I have to re-add everything I wanted to see back on my list?

#934 thrustbucket

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:29 PM

And again, I'll re-iterate that I'd very much like an ala carte streaming plan where I could just pay $1-2 per movie I want to stream in addition to my disc rentals.

That would be a good value for me vs. paying a month fee for unlimited, and a way for them to make money from me and others who cancel unlimited streaming.

Do you use Zune Video Marketplace?
Their HD is quite superior to Netflix, almost indistinguishable from bluray.

#935 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:37 PM

Question , if I change my plan to streaming only does my dvd queue get erased or will I just not receive anything from them? If it does get erased would it be restored if I were to add dvds back to my plan , or would I have to re-add everything I wanted to see back on my list?

When I have cancelled in the past and come back, my queue was the same as I left it. If that is any indication, they would still be there and just not send them.

#936 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:39 PM

why are you guys arguing?

Netflix' cost are DEFINITELY going up for streaming content, hence the price hike.

it's not rocket science.

I wish they had come out and said this.

I see this whole debacle as a huge marketing fail for Netflix. The a la carte pricing is going to work out better for some, but for many it amounts to a price hike.

I'm wondering if the asshole studios put a condition in the contracts that silences Netflix from talking about the licensing. I have to give those greedy asshole studios credit for knowing how to stay out of the spotlight and have others do their dirty work.

#937 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:10 PM

I wish they had come out and said this.

I see this whole debacle as a huge marketing fail for Netflix. The a la carte pricing is going to work out better for some, but for many it amounts to a price hike.

It's definitely bad marking. The price hike would get a lot less backlash if they'd came out and put the blame on the studios AND made some clear statements about how they'd be improving the service going forward.

Otherwise, as you note, for those who use both streaming and disc rentals it does just feel like a price hike since they haven't done any of that.

Do you use Zune Video Marketplace?
Their HD is quite superior to Netflix, almost indistinguishable from bluray.

I haven't really looked into it as I figured it was like other pay per movie services and thus probably $3-5 per movie which is more than I'm willing to pay.

How's selection? I'm not much interested in paying per movie for new releases etc. as I'd rather just get discs from Netflix for those. I'd just be interested in paying a buck or two here and there to watch a documentary or something between discs rather than "wasting" a disc rental on those as I like to save those mainly for new releases etc.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#938 thrustbucket

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:45 PM

I haven't really looked into it as I figured it was like other pay per movie services and thus probably $3-5 per movie which is more than I'm willing to pay.

How's selection? I'm not much interested in paying per movie for new releases etc. as I'd rather just get discs from Netflix for those. I'd just be interested in paying a buck or two here and there to watch a documentary or something between discs rather than "wasting" a disc rental on those as I like to save those mainly for new releases etc.

The selection is decent. But yes it is 3-5 dollars per movie, normally. Older movies can be found for $2ish and if you watch sales they often can be had for cheap.

There is a rumor floating that MS is working on a subscription plan for Zune Video Marketplace which would be REALLY cool.

#939 Cry Havoc

Cry Havoc

Breaker Breaker

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:00 PM

Sorry, that's a 10 mile round trip, not a 20 mile round trip. You really passed College math buddy. Typically when I go out for something I try to combine as many things into one trip/area when I go out.

Q: A man goes to rent a dvd that is five miles from his home. He does not wish to keep the movie forever, so he will need to return it when he is done watching it. The closest spot he can return it is the same location 5 miles from his home. How many total miles must he travel to rent and return this DVD?

I'll let you do the college math on this one. Let me know if you need help.

#940 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:10 PM

Hiccup,

1) 5 miles to dvd store
2) 5 miles back home
3) watch movie
4) 5 miles back to dvd store
5) 5 miles back home
----------
grand total: 20 miles for a dvd rental.

#941 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:11 PM

It's definitely bad marking. The price hike would get a lot less backlash if they'd came out and put the blame on the studios AND made some clear statements about how they'd be improving the service going forward.

Exactly. One of the main reasons people are upset because they will be paying 60% more for the exact same service they are getting now, with virtually no explanation.

For other people, like me, its just a value thing. i have an extra $6.50 each month, the money isn't a problem. but for a service i under utilize as it is, it's a big increase. It's almost an $80 a year increase (or 60 Guinness). If I just cancel the whole thing I have an extra $150 in my pocket for the year (based on current price) or $225 (based on new prices). Hell with that much money I can just buy 15-20 blurays throughout the year.

Edited by RAMSTORIA, 15 July 2011 - 05:24 PM.

Posted Image

#942 nasum

nasum

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:12 PM

OMFG WTFBBQ!!!!?!?!11!>?

I need to spend an extra $5 a month to have movies show up like magic on my tv whenever I want them and to also have 2 sent to me by mail that I can also watch at my leisure. That's it, time to murder!

Seriously people. It's only going up by a large amount if you're on the 1 DVD out at a time plan. Ask yourself how much that one DVD meant if you don't want to spend the money. Ask yourself how much streaming you watch if you don't want to spend the money. If $15 a month isn't worth the access to that content, then leave and please make sure to bitch as much as possible on the way out because it makes you feel better.
3DS Buddy Code 2767-0055-5245 send a pm with your code if you add and I will return the favor
XBL - Nasum2

#943 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:20 PM

I don't think anyone is really blowing up like some of you make it out to be though.

It's just that for some people the extra $5-6 on their plan makes it no longer worth it to them for the amount they use it, so they have to either down grade to disc or streaming only or cancel. For some it was worth $9.99 for streaming and DVD, but they don't find it worth $15.99 and don't find either the streaming or DVDs alone worth $7.99. Everyone has different budgets and priorities etc.

And of course people aren't happy when prices go up like this. No one is ever happy when a bill goes up. Especially when it's a luxury bill like Netflix and there's no promised improvement in service for the extra money. Who likes to pay more for the same service they got before? Especially on a site like this which caters to people who always want teh best deal possible!

I agree it's not worth ranting and raving about, but I haven't seen much of that. Most of the ranting and raving is from people who think the service is still worth it at the new price in response to people who've mostly just simply said they're going to cancel as it's not worth it to them anymore.

For me, as I've said I'll keep the 1 DVD plan and drop streaming as I mainly just watched the DVDs/BRs anyway as I prefer newer releases as I've seen most of the older films I care to watch and don't have time to invest in TV series. So I'm ok with it as it will save me $2 a month from what I was paying before by dropping the streaming I seldom used anway. I don't have anything in my streaming queue that I can get by disc from Netflix anyway.

Edited by dmaul1114, 15 July 2011 - 05:40 PM.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#944 dohdough

dohdough

Sum Dum Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:23 PM

Exactly. One of the main reasons people are upset because they will be paying 60% more for the exact same service they are getting now, with virtually no explanation.

For other people, like me, its just a value thing. i have an extra $6.50 each month, the money isn't a problem. but for a service i under utilize at is, it's a big increase. It's almost an $80 a year increase (or 60 Guinness). If I just cancel the whole thing I have an extra $150 in my pocket for the year (based on current price) or $225 (based on new prices). Hell with that much money I can just buy 15-20 blurays throughout the year.

Or forget the blurays and get 150 Guinness instead.:lol:

#945 KingDox

KingDox

Scream My Name

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:42 PM

Yeah, pretty much everyone I knew who has netflix went, "dang netflix price is going up" and then moved on with their life. Its kinda funny to see all the rage in here over this.

#946 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:08 PM

Albino Alligator was just added. I never heard of it but it sounds interesting and it has a great cast. Here's the description from Netflix ..

Kevin Spacey made his directing debut with this edgy crime drama about a trio of small-time hoods (Matt Dillon, Gary Sinise and William Fichtner) fleeing after a bungled robbery in New Orleans. They hole up in a basement bar, taking five people hostage while trying to determine their next move as the feds and a Special Weapons and Tactics team swarm outside. The great cast includes Faye Dunaway, Joe Mantegna and Viggo Mortensen.

Posted Image

#947 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:25 PM

Albino Alligator was just added. I never heard of it but it sounds interesting and it has a great cast. Here's the description from Netflix ..

Kevin Spacey made his directing debut with this edgy crime drama about a trio of small-time hoods (Matt Dillon, Gary Sinise and William Fichtner) fleeing after a bungled robbery in New Orleans. They hole up in a basement bar, taking five people hostage while trying to determine their next move as the feds and a Special Weapons and Tactics team swarm outside. The great cast includes Faye Dunaway, Joe Mantegna and Viggo Mortensen.

I've never heard of it, either. It does sound interesting, and Sinise and Fichtner are two of my favorite actors. Thanks for the post. I'll definitely check it out.

#948 nasum

nasum

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:47 PM

absolutely awesome movie, you'll get your money's worth on that one.
3DS Buddy Code 2767-0055-5245 send a pm with your code if you add and I will return the favor
XBL - Nasum2

#949 willardhaven

willardhaven

Thief of Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:13 PM

It's Netflix people, either pay up or forget about it. Some of you guys sound like entitled brats.

PaulManda.png

#950 BattleChicken

BattleChicken

IM IN UR THRED!!1

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:35 PM

While I'm disappointed in a price increase, I understand the costs associated with the licenses Netflix has to obtain to retain their current content library.

Most of the studios wish Netflix was dead - they view it as a reason (possibly reason #2 after piracy...?) that their profits are falling - even if that isn't actually true. I'm more upset with the studios for reaming Netflix in negotiations than I am with Netflix for trying to stay in the red.

I've felt like Netflix was an insane deal since the first day I subscribed to it and started streaming. A price increase has been due for a long time, considering the value of the service.. it's shame they didn't follow more of a cable company model and do a slight costs increase every year instead, though...

In any event, if we pretended that the studios were to successfully kill Netflix's subscriber base it isn't going to net them any more money, it'll just lead to more piracy.
Pretend something awesome is written here.

#951 silentevil

silentevil

Most evil man ever!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:44 PM

I saw today Netflix is on 3DS. I'm thinking about buying one anyone know if it's on the DSi also?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#952 62t

62t

Zune Duck!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:48 PM

Not on DSi

My trade list: http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=42397

3DS FC 0731-4770-3312

#953 silentevil

silentevil

Most evil man ever!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:14 PM

Not on DSi

You know if it's any good on 3DS, I read Netflix was going to start offering 3D content for ti
Posted ImagePosted Image

#954 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:58 PM

Yeah, pretty much everyone I knew who has netflix went, "dang netflix price is going up" and then moved on with their life. Its kinda funny to see all the rage in here over this.

Yeah, I've talked to 2 people about it. 1 is doing the same as me and just going to disc only, the other is undecided but leaning toward the same.

All are like me and just watch 1-2 movies a week so we all agree $15.98/17.98 is too much and lean toward discs since we can get a disc for anything we'd want to stream pretty much, the the reverse isn't true.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#955 Ringo5

Ringo5

Posted 16 July 2011 - 08:40 AM

A few cents increase could have been tolerable for a while, but their price hike this time is a little too much for entertainment. I decided it's better to go for streaming alone, it works for me good enough at 7.99. Better if they improve their streaming library and service with all the additional revenue they're getting, but I'm not putting my hopes too high. I can't deny that they still have some value compared to other brands offering similar services but meh, I have a lot other options if I want to have some movie fix.

I came across some article discussing the best choice among the plans offered by Netflix by details, so for those who wants to earn good value with their services it's a pretty good read: Surviving the Netflix price increase.

#956 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2011 - 12:33 PM

Home Movies is on instant streaming now. :whee:

Posted Image

#957 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:53 PM

OMFG WTFBBQ!!!!?!?!11!>?

I need to spend an extra $5 a month to have movies show up like magic on my tv whenever I want them and to also have 2 sent to me by mail that I can also watch at my leisure. That's it, time to murder!

Seriously people. It's only going up by a large amount if you're on the 1 DVD out at a time plan. Ask yourself how much that one DVD meant if you don't want to spend the money. Ask yourself how much streaming you watch if you don't want to spend the money. If $15 a month isn't worth the access to that content, then leave and please make sure to bitch as much as possible on the way out because it makes you feel better.

I can let this one slide, however if another increase comes within a year I'm going to start looking around.

#958 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2011 - 03:12 PM

FYI - The Last Airbender (M Night Shamalamadingdong movie) just went up today. I remember it looking kind of cool from the commercials.

Posted Image

#959 Soodmeg

Soodmeg

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:17 PM

Home Movies is on instant streaming now. :whee:

ARHGAHGAHA!!!! :applause::applause::applause:

If that isnt worth 5 bucks I dont know what is. Now if only Breaking Bad would show up.

So just a quick recap because I find the complete 180 in this thread to be fall-out-of-chair hilarious. 2 days ago everyone was ready to punch a netflix baby in the face because of the price gouging.

Now we know exactly why they needed to and its a perfectly fine and understandable reason. With the raising cost of bringing content to their customers they have to match it with a rise with higher rates. (Note I never said dvd, I thought it was more for streaming but the point was cost is cost)

So what? Piss in the corner and walk out like nothing happened. Then which I think is the best part it seems like no one actually cancelled netflix. They all choose the very options that netflix custom made for people who thought the price point was too high for both.

I do very much agree with this though...Netflix biggest mistake was in PR and not treating us all like Soodmeg. A young and naive idiotic college grad who doesnt know that 5+5+5+5=10.

But now that we are over that lets get back to the content...big ups to Mak who continued the updates during the course of Netflix cold war.

#960 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:43 PM

No, there's been several people who have canceled (or at least said they have) in this thread, the thread in the Blu Ray deals forum and on some other forums I post on. Many have posted canceling and switching to the Blockbuster trial, or just going with Hulu+ and Redbox for movies etc.

It does seem like more have done like me and just downgraded to either DVD or Streaming only though, rather than canceling. So Netflix probably won't lose any profit over this in the long run. So you're right about that.

I've still got to see a lot better content for my interest on streaming before I'll ever pay for it though. Until it starts getting new releases, it's not worth anything to me since I can just use discs for the few docs and tv shows I streamed occasionally before.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection