• Please log in to reply
2446 replies to this topic

#1171 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:25 AM

http://finance.yahoo...9.html?x=0&.v=8

Something I read today. Netflix reported they lost 600,000 subscribers over the price hikes.

They really flubbed this. They should have at least offered a bundle deal for both streaming and discs - take a few bucks off, people like bundle deals.

#1172 schuerm26

schuerm26

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:11 AM

I've left netflix for Hulu+. And wow. I'm having a much better experience. But I know I'm in the minority...and only because Hulu+ has an extensive Criterion selection I have a hard on for....

I went to Hulu+ for a bit but the one thing I absolutely hate is that a lot of the shows I wanted to watch had to be watched through an internet browser. I wanted to just stream them over the 360 and they were web only.

I have actually just gone back to blockbuster. They literally give you a free .99 cent rental every time you go in the store and make a transaction. I got a deal on the mail service for 3 months at no cost. Everytime I switch a movie out, I get a free .99 cent rental. Since DISH got a hold of them, they have actually started to really turn things around for the customer. Maybe it is because I am in there so often and know the workers but, the free coupons work on the $1.99 movies on Sunday also since they are only 99 cents.

#1173 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 16 September 2011 - 02:00 PM

They really flubbed this. They should have at least offered a bundle deal for both streaming and discs - take a few bucks off, people like bundle deals.

Yep. At the least offer the deal to existing customers even if new members get the current prices.

Oh well, still not a big deal to me. I'm keeping both while finishing up some TV shows. When those are done I may just go disc only as I mainly watch newer movies that aren't on streaming.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#1174 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:15 PM

Netflix just deleted the "Instant Saved Queue" feature completely. If you had saved movies in your instant queue, they are now gone completely (with the small possibility of being re-added to your instant queue if they stream again).

Please for the love of fuck call and complain. I just did and got a canned response but with some prodding the broad started being more honest. They will at the very least get your feedback on the issue and if enough people raise hell they might change it back.

If you want it back, use FeedFliks.com for now. Once you link it to your account it will still have your expired instant queue (It exists on Netflix's servers, they just won't let you look at it).

Edited by SneakyPenguin, 17 September 2011 - 08:32 PM.

By four o'clock I've discounted suicide in favor of killing everyone else in the entire world instead.

#1175 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:41 PM

Can you explain what that feature is? I just got Netflix (streaming only, via PS3 so far) last week.

#1176 pitfallharry219

pitfallharry219

It's go time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:52 PM

If you had something in your Instant Queue and it expired before you watched it, it would be moved to your Saved Queue. Now, the whole saved list is gone.

#1177 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:59 PM

If you had something in your Instant Queue and it expired before you watched it, it would be moved to your Saved Queue. Now, the whole saved list is gone.

The best part is that they would be added back to your queue if they became available again for streaming.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

#1178 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:15 AM

The best part is that they would be added back to your queue if they became available again for streaming.

Yup.. hello iCarly - nice to see you again!

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#1179 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:43 AM

just became streaming only today! :( This is gonna really suck in a few months when all the starz movies go bye bye.

I think the next couple of months is going to be bad for Netflix.

#1180 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:33 AM

Netflix CEO Reed Hastings has split up Netflix. The streaming portion will still be known as Netflix. The DVD portion will be known as Qwikster. The site is up at www.qwikster.com.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#1181 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:46 AM

The potential for disaster regarding a split seems quite large.

Plus, Qwikster is a such a stupid name (especially spelled like that).

Now playing (& watching):
:ps3:-Binary Domain
:br:-Game of Thrones season 1
My tradelist:http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=116943
35bb9lx.gif

#1182 Owen

Owen

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:51 AM

They probably split it so they can kill off the DVD side of it by the end of 2012.

#1183 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:53 AM

I'm interested to see how the stock fares tomorrow. Reed Hastings has been selling shares of his stock like it's going out of style.

Posted Image

#1184 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:59 AM

Watch the video I posted in the OP. The guy in charge of Qwikster promises to FINALLY bring in games!

Posted Image

#1185 vic_x51

vic_x51

World Warrior

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:33 AM

Watch the video I posted in the OP. The guy in charge of Qwikster promises to FINALLY bring in games!

damn, i was hoping streaming and game rentals.

#1186 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:36 AM

I'm interested to see how the stock fares tomorrow. Reed Hastings has been selling shares of his stock like it's going out of style.

In this case, that's not just a cliche.

5K shares a week, every week for 5 weeks straight. I'm guessing 5K is a cap of some kind, otherwise he'd be jumping ship even faster.

Now playing (& watching):
:ps3:-Binary Domain
:br:-Game of Thrones season 1
My tradelist:http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=116943
35bb9lx.gif

#1187 turls

turls

Clouds: no, Sunshine: yes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:39 PM

Starz streaming sucked anyway, only good in a pinch. No 5.1 or HD on those titles. Sad that is even on people's radar in this mess.

And if they were going to be this late to the game on game rentals, they could have at least tried to be a complete replacement for GameFly, but it doesn't sound like they will carry DS games, or for that matter Xbox or GameCube. Its like they don't want GF to fail.

#1188 cdeener

cdeener

Love Those Price Drops!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:57 PM

I like when you click the the link for qwikster it has a pic of a table with popcorn, some of the envelopes, and a Xbox 360 controller.

I don't actually mind the split as long as the service still gets me the movies in the same timely fashion and they improve the streaming service. I wonder how they plan to charge for games?

#1189 mrx001

mrx001

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:59 PM

That explains the stupid name.Really interested in a game rental service that is not horrible,though.I hope this is somehow successful.

#1190 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:19 PM

Netflix's stock price has taken a huge dive in the last 3 months.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#1191 powercreep

powercreep

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:05 PM

Originally I was going to cancel the streaming portion, but now I'm thinking the opposite. I know there's some concerns about the future of the service, but if/when that happens I'll just cancel it too. After looking into Redbox I think that's the way my family and I will go.

I do like DVD by mail for its simplicity, but occasionally it's hard to find the time during the week for a movie and this way we won't sort of be "forced" into a movie if we don't want it. By forced I mean keeping price/movie as low as possible by watching as much as possible. The addition of games is tempting, but again more cost involved and I can still nab those from Redbox as well.

Today is the day I will cancel the dvd portion of my service. Redbox will give me what I want (BD, games) when I want them. I don't mind gas cost, as Redboxes are pentiful and always on my way to something or another.

The fact that the CEO is touting how great the splitting of the services will be and is selling off his stock shares like crazy is just a bit eye-opening. Also, the lack of a combined queue or rather, if I place a dvd in my queue and it's available for streaming, it'll no longer show in my instant queue. Do not like the split or the price increase. Just glad there are other options out there.

Edit: On second thought, screw'em. The CEO selling all those shares, splitting into two different services without a combined queue, and the price increase have just really been eating on me this morning. I'm done with Netflix altogether. I've got an Amazon app on my tv and already use prime so I'll just use that for streaming and Redbox for current releases. I realize that together these services aren't as great as the whole Netflix experience, but I'll make do and for a lot less money too.

Edited by powercreep, 19 September 2011 - 03:07 PM.
Changed my mind...

#1192 Scorch

Scorch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:30 PM

Starz streaming sucked anyway, only good in a pinch. No 5.1 or HD on those titles. Sad that is even on people's radar in this mess.

The Starz steaming titles had both of those things, I think. The new releases from Starz definitely stream in HD.

Posted Image

#1193 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:15 PM

They probably split it so they can kill off the DVD side of it by the end of 2012.

More likely so they have the possibility of selling that portion of the company down the road.

I can't see it getting killed off by 2012 as streaming isn't viable until they can offer all new releases etc.

I'll want discs by mail until that point as I'm not willing to hassle with red box or local rental stores as it adds errands to my already hectic schedule with having to find time to pick up and return movies rather than just getting them in the mail.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#1194 AshesofWake

AshesofWake

chum is fum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:23 PM

netflix was always too good to be true. From that $8 a month unlimited streaming of all that content plus 1 dvd at a time. To even how much it costs now.

#1195 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:39 PM

Well, I'm looking forward to the addition of games. Of course it depends on what they are going to charge. Hopefully it's more reasonable than Gamefly which is too expensive IMHO. Either way I'll be keeping both streaming and discs. It's a great service and is still a ton cheaper than paying for cable, which we don't do.

#1196 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:39 PM

netflix was always too good to be true. From that $8 a month unlimited streaming of all that content plus 1 dvd at a time. To even how much it costs now.

I agree. It's amazing that most people look down on the service and how everyone jumped ship when pricing went up. I've been a netflix subscriber for at least ten years i think, and even back when they first introduced streaming my roommate at the time told me Netflix "sucked because it had nothing good to stream" The streaming was always a bonus, especially at that stage, the company was always a mail service first and foremost.

Splitting into two companies is the most logical thing. He probably should have split them first, before changing the pricing.

Destro1.gif            DestroVega.jpg

#1197 WeaponX2099

WeaponX2099

Random Access Memories

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:04 PM

I agree. It's amazing that most people look down on the service and how everyone jumped ship when pricing went up. I've been a netflix subscriber for at least ten years i think, and even back when they first introduced streaming my roommate at the time told me Netflix "sucked because it had nothing good to stream" The streaming was always a bonus, especially at that stage, the company was always a mail service first and foremost.

Splitting into two companies is the most logical thing. He probably should have split them first, before changing the pricing.

Or said both at the same time.

#1198 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:42 PM

Well, if Netflix goes under, at least Amazon will swoop in and pick up all their streaming contracts at a discount. Doubt they'll go under though. Do appreciate that the guy actually sent out an honest e-mail. Not just a form letter. Him selling his own stock is kinda shady. Maybe he's out the door.

Don't see the need for a name change. Just keep it Netflix, say "subscription costs went up", and follow that up with "tough shit, pay it or cancel." Like they always did when they increased costs.

At the end of the day, I'm more pissed that I now have to use two different websites to manage one packaged service I pay for.

#1199 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:45 PM

at the end of the day, i'm more pissed that i now have to use two different websites to manage one packaged service i pay for.

qft

#1200 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:57 PM

what's next? Up charge for the HD content , up charge for TV show seasons?

I am really thinking next year is going to be bad for netflix.