Netflix Streaming Thread 2.0

• Please log in to reply
2446 replies to this topic

#1201 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:36 AM

I'll believe that this split lets them focus on improving the streaming service when I see it. They have a lot of things to fix/improve that should've been tackled once they offered a streaming-only sub.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#1202 slidecage

slidecage

Nothing to say

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:46 AM

Well, if Netflix goes under, at least Amazon will swoop in and pick up all their streaming contracts at a discount. Doubt they'll go under though. Do appreciate that the guy actually sent out an honest e-mail. Not just a form letter. Him selling his own stock is kinda shady. Maybe he's out the door.

Don't see the need for a name change. Just keep it Netflix, say "subscription costs went up", and follow that up with "tough shit, pay it or cancel." Like they always did when they increased costs.

At the end of the day, I'm more pissed that I now have to use two different websites to manage one packaged service I pay for.

Why wouldnt he sell look how much it was UP In the past year...
WOOOO I STINK

#1203 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:54 AM

I'll believe that this split lets them focus on improving the streaming service when I see it. They have a lot of things to fix/improve that should've been tackled once they offered a streaming-only sub.

Like what?

#1204 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:41 AM

what's next? Up charge for the HD content , up charge for TV show seasons?

No, Hastings subtly admitted in his "apology" e-mail that he's well aware of how pissed people were with the price increases. Looks like games will just have the same kind of premium charge Blu-Rays do, nothing more.

They're in the mode now where they have to please consumers (hence the need for the CEO to personally e-mail all subscribers), so I don't think they'll be nickel and diming anybody for quite some time.

I'm guessing it's more of a way for each service type to get the money they earned rather than share it. Like streaming getting probably the most cash from subscribers but having the profits from that going towards supporting the DVD-by-mail end. Or vice versa, if that's the case.

#1205 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:23 AM

Like what?

its not horrible but they definelty have issues with streaming. my biggest issues with it are video quality especially with some foreign films its can be very bad and theres the occasional movie/ show that doesnt work.

theres a series i was watching i had to wait a few weeks until they got the last 2 bits back up and when they did they had the orders reversed.

thumbs up america on netflix has the same issue the first season is missing the final episode and the second season has 2 of the same episode in diff episode spots.

i also dont like the fact that alot of the anime/froeign movies are dubbed and not subbed itd be nice if you had the option to choose which you wanted but thats more of a personal issues with the service.

the service is awesome for the price but it can easily be so much better.

#1206 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:20 PM

Why wouldnt he sell look how much it was UP In the past year...

When the CEO of a company starts selling off stock that's generally considered a bad sign.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#1207 nasum

nasum

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:58 PM

http://money.cnn.com..._cash/index.htm

Compared to other streaming providers, Netflix can't afford to get into a bidding war because they simply don't have the cash on hand. It's an interesting article, though pitting Netflix against Apple isn't really the right way to look at it. Apple (through iTunes) provides a marketplace to purchase streaming content while Netflix is a subscription to watch whatever you want. They're completely different. Netflix vs. Amazon is still pretty vague too.
3DS Buddy Code 2767-0055-5245 send a pm with your code if you add and I will return the favor
XBL - Nasum2

#1208 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:11 PM

I didn't know hulu was for sale, that's interesting.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#1209 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:37 PM

Netflix streaming is quite good. I'm happy with it. But I wouldn't just have streaming due to lots of things being missing. Still, there's a ton of great stuff on there. There's always something good to watch. Just watched This is England the other night. Looked fantastic and it's a great movie. If you're into arthouse cinema, Netflix streaming is fantastic. If you want the blockbusters it's a different story. I like both, myself, though mostly arthouse stuff.

Crunchewy.png

#1210 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:43 PM

I just have streaming, and there's soooooooooooo many movies I haven't watched that it's enough for now. Hopefully with this split they'll focus on getting more stuff into streaming more quickly.

Last week I watched (for the first time):
- The Machinist
- Gangs of New York
- Iron Man 2
- The Boondock Saints
- Ponyo (with my 4 year old)

#1211 Soodmeg

Soodmeg

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:07 PM

The problem with netflix is they made the same mistake rookie frelancers make. They under charged for their service for far to long now their client have become used to paying pennies for service. This happens all the time in my field. Then the very second you try to change it to get close to what it really should cost people fucking fall apart. I meet clients all the time who expect 5k worth of service for a couple hundred bucks because they had some fresh out of school guy just trying to make a buck (which is fine I am just speaking on the condition factor) Seriously people you were paying 10 dollars for unlimited dvds to be sent to your house and unlimited streaming on virtually every device that exist. It was a great deal for the better part of a decade and its not like they went from 10 to 50 it was 10 to 15. Can people be more whiny and bitchy.

#1212 nasum

nasum

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:29 PM

Indeed. I've got streaming and 2DVDs out at a time with the BR option as well. My total price increase was all of $4 or something and I still pay less than $25 per month. I usually watch two or three movies by mail which would cost at least $30 per month to buy the movies. Streaming is just icing on the cake as I get to see stuff on my TV right away THROUGH MAGIC as well as watch an episode of Kids in the Hall or something on my phone during my lunch break at work. Yeah, that's not worth $8...

If the new split means I can get a game as one of those 2 DVDs and the price doesn't go up by more than $4 per month I'm gonna be happy as all get out. I got rid of cable TV (about $80 per month or so) so as long as I can stay <$30 I'm winning.
3DS Buddy Code 2767-0055-5245 send a pm with your code if you add and I will return the favor
XBL - Nasum2

#1213 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:42 PM

yep, it's still a good deal for me.

I watch 1-2 movies by mail per week, and usually 1-2 movies or a few TV episodes on streaming. Can't complain about that for $17.98 plus tax (1 out out at a time plus blu ray and streaming).

Sure it, was an even more unbelievable deal at $11.99 plus tax before. But it's still a good deal and much more convenient than hassling with the local store (of which there isn't one very convenient since the closest Blockbuster closed down) or Redbox. I hate having to worry about due dates/time, find time in the day to drive to the store or machine and return the disc etc.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#1214 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:30 PM

I have a feeling the game rentals are going to add more then $4. I'm guessing at least $10, maybe more. I'll be pleased as punch if it's less, though.

Crunchewy.png

#1215 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2011 - 09:10 PM

Like what?

Stable servers, getting rid of the fluid categories that are different every time I use the app, list New Arrivals by what is actually newest, more content with subtitles, and an auto-sort option for the queue to name a few.

#1216 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:12 AM

Stable servers, getting rid of the fluid categories that are different every time I use the app, list New Arrivals by what is actually newest, more content with subtitles, and an auto-sort option for the queue to name a few.

Along the lines of the "fluid categories", half the time when I log in I see my "Recently Viewed" category show up and half the time it's not there. This happens on both 360 and PS3. Its kind of annoying when you have a TV show you're watching and it's buried in the middle of your queue and you have to go searching for it when it should be showing up in the "Recently Viewed" category.

#1217 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:54 AM

I don't know what it is but Conan O'Brien Can't Stop was added to streaming.

Posted Image

#1218 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2011 - 01:16 AM

Along the lines of the "fluid categories", half the time when I log in I see my "Recently Viewed" category show up and half the time it's not there. This happens on both 360 and PS3. Its kind of annoying when you have a TV show you're watching and it's buried in the middle of your queue and you have to go searching for it when it should be showing up in the "Recently Viewed" category.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. The original PS3 HUD that I had was basically a static set of categories that was great, but then Netflix decided that it was too good for PS3 users to have and changed it to a Xbox 360-style list of categories.

I have a few shows I'm going through that Recently Viewed is perfect for, but when it's not there every other time, it's annoying as Fuck. It takes away functionality because it randomly disappears for no reason besides bad UI design.

I don't know what it is but Conan O'Brien Can't Stop was added to streaming.

It's a documentary about the tour he was on during his time off after the NBC debacle.

#1219 hiccupleftovers

hiccupleftovers

Worst Poster on CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:17 AM

Just signed up to BB Total access. Glad, I, and others, sent a message to Netflix and went through with our promise of canceling our sub. I know quite a few people personally that I turned on to Netflix or recommended it to that also canceled their subscription. So far I'm not minding it, nor BB Total Access, and am looking forward to my first two DVDs in the mail and the ability to switch them at the store by me. I'll let this trial go into action and then decide at the end of the month what I think. Supposedly BB might be doing some surprise thing on Friday that might, or might not, include an announcement about streaming or something. Looking forward to getting games in the mail as well, as all the local rental stores by me finally went kaput and I can only rent games through Redbox (which I've only done once).

Las Vegas Limousine - The coolest limos in town!

Los Angeles Limousine

#1220 thrustbucket

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:14 PM

I was on BB's plan where I paid $21 a month for one of anything out at at time. I canceled it because they don't get most of the new movies I wanted to see - just the mainstream stuff I already saw in theaters.

I am bummed to find out that Sons of Anarchy only has the first two seasons on netflix. Off to torrent land I go....

#1221 camoor

camoor

Jams on foot fires

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:12 PM

Yeah I'll agree with you there - that new PS3 interface is horrendus.

#1222 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:36 AM

for you fans of cheesy zombie horror the video dead is on netflix.

#1223 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:46 AM

This isn't the best place for it but since everyone here enjoys the streaming I thought I'd post that Amazon has Super and Priest for $1.99 today.

Posted Image

#1224 BattleChicken

BattleChicken

IM IN UR THRED!!1

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:42 PM

I'm just going to toss this out here; In the last few days, has anyone else had a lot of random disconnects in their streaming?

I've noticed it since the most recent PS3 update (the timing is about the same).
Pretend something awesome is written here.

#1225 Pookymeister

Pookymeister

I like almonds

• Super Moderators

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:50 PM

yea, ive noticed it - wasn't sure if it was my wireless connection or not, but seemed to be happening alot in last week or so

#1226 XxFuRy2Xx

XxFuRy2Xx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:36 PM

Yup, I've been getting those disconnects as well.

Please check out my channel: Alan Bytes Back!

MyAnimeList

#1227 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:03 PM

One positive I've noticed lately is I've been getting Bluray new releases right away (Thor etc.) where as before they were usually 2-4 weeks sitting on "long wait" in my queue before.

So I guess that's one plus of a lot of people canceling!

Haven't watched any streaming since last week, so can't comment on disconnects.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#1228 BattleChicken

BattleChicken

IM IN UR THRED!!1

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:55 PM

Huh! so other people ARE having the issue? Does it impact other devices in your home at the same time as Netflix stops working as well, or just the active streaming session?

#1229 thrustbucket

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:08 PM

I haven't had any problems on Xbox.

#1230 BattleChicken

BattleChicken

IM IN UR THRED!!1

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:29 PM

I haven't had any problems on Xbox.

After trying a second router, taking my PS3 out of my active network devices is the next thing I plan to try - It's good to know the Xbox seems to be working well, since it's what I'd be streaming to next.

If I keep getting the issues, one more thing is ruled out.