Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

• Please log in to reply
3077 replies to this topic

#811 Kuroi Kaze

Kuroi Kaze

Yes, I toss douches.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:07 PM

Regardless of what you think of my style of commenting on the show is like, everything I said is pretty much accurate. Obviously, the pancake thing was me just fucking around, but I didn't make this shit up. The tl;dr version for people who connect the dots using crayons and help from their parents:

So I didn't read the spoilers since I'm not as far as you. Once I do I'm up for discussing the issues with the show as i don't have an easily melted girly heart.

I mean FB as a good show? You've got to be kidding me. There's not even a interesting plotline with any real antagonist . Just a string of "look at this guy you don't know" and "boy these two fight a lot" jokes. Then they cram a quick story in the end which has a character going, "I don't get it." anime isn't supposed to be advertisement to go buy the manga, it's supposed to be a full standalone product. FB doesn't meet this criteria at all. even my girl hated it. again, do not recommend.

sig.gif
Sekai wa hiroi yo!

#812 Kirin Lemon

Kirin Lemon

世界を革命する者

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:02 PM

I mean FB as a good show? You've got to be kidding me. There's not even a interesting plotline with any real antagonist . Just a string of "look at this guy you don't know" and "boy these two fight a lot" jokes. Then they cram a quick story in the end which has a character going, "I don't get it." anime isn't supposed to be advertisement to go buy the manga, it's supposed to be a full standalone product. FB doesn't meet this criteria at all. even my girl hated it. again, do not recommend.

If you want to disagree with just about everybody else in the world about Fruits Basket, that's fine, you're entitled to your opinion. I hate Trigun and Gurren Lagann, even though most everybody else seems to love them. But we're in the minority with our respective opinions, like it or not.

And again, Fruits Basket functions fine as a standalone series, even if the ending does leave things open for a sequel or more of an ongoing manga. Nana does the same thing. Berserk does the same thing. Your precious long-running shonen action shows sometimes do this, too. Don't act like this is the first time it's happened, or that it somehow devalues the series as a whole.
Posted Image

#813 XxFuRy2Xx

XxFuRy2Xx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:23 PM

I'm fairly certain Moribito wasn't produced in HD.

Thank goodness. I thought I was going to have to double dip on it.

Please check out my channel: Alan Bytes Back!

MyAnimeList

#814 Kuroi Kaze

Kuroi Kaze

Yes, I toss douches.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:15 AM

If you want to disagree with just about everybody else in the world about Fruits Basket, that's fine

Nana does the same thing. Berserk does the same thing. Your precious long-running shonen action shows sometimes do this, too. Don't act like this is the first time it's happened, or that it somehow devalues the series as a whole.

like i said...a house party with 35 people in it were hating on FB. i don't feel i'm that unique here.

man..berserk. probably one of the biggest disappointments in anime history for me. i really, really wish i had just watched 2-the last good part and quit.

i will totally agree something like hunter x hunter deserves a massive fail for never finishing the main serious plotline. i hate this habit of anime and television series and would never recommend starting something with no real end.

sig.gif
Sekai wa hiroi yo!

#815 Kirin Lemon

Kirin Lemon

世界を革命する者

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:15 AM

like i said...a house party with 35 people in it were hating on FB. i don't feel i'm that unique here.

The fact that you would willingly attend a house party with 35 anime nerds calls into question your judgment and the judgment of everyone else in attendance. ;)
Posted Image

#816 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:57 AM

the water 7 arc and the part after it are true greatness in the shonen genre

I just finished the Skypiea arc and I was a little disappointed. It felt like a giant filler. No bad but it didn't really advance the overall plot. Anyways I'm a few episodes away from this Water 7 arc. Looking forward to it.

#817 crystalklear64

crystalklear64

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:02 AM

I just finished the Skypiea arc and I was a little disappointed. It felt like a giant filler. No bad but it didn't really advance the overall plot. Anyways I'm a few episodes away from this Water 7 arc. Looking forward to it.

i felt the exact opposite. i thought skypiea and the lead up to it was awesome and that water 7 just dragged on and on and wasn't very interesting. the villains in particular are some of the most boring in the series imo. water 7 does introduce one of the best characters in the show however so at least it had that.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#818 ChibiJosh

ChibiJosh

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:17 AM

The fact that you would willingly attend a house party with 35 anime nerds calls into question your judgment and the judgment of everyone else in attendance. ;)

Because obviously hobbies are best partaken of alone?
Posted Image
Games Completed '08 (32) - '09 (43) - '10 (48) - '11 (43) -'12 (15)
PS3 Trophy card:
Spoiler

#819 coolsteel

coolsteel

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:01 AM

I felt the same way about it really. Entirely too many drawn out moments or weapons that are supposed to crush bones being used 20 times anyway. Oh and my favorite lightning managing to kill just about no one one even old people. Ended up almost quitting the show but I just took a break then came back to the much more enjoyable Water 7 arc.

#820 Kuroi Kaze

Kuroi Kaze

Yes, I toss douches.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:37 PM

yeah i can't imagine any reason why water 7/what comes next loses out to skypiea. water 7 has far more character development (well as much as you get in a shonen).

sig.gif
Sekai wa hiroi yo!

#821 Ced

Ced

Monster Hustler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:47 PM

Been sitting through fandubs of Kuragehime with my GF the past two weeks. To summarize: Jellyfish obsessed ugly/pretty girl living in a house full of otaku shut-ins forms a friendship with a crossdressing trap; shenanigans ensue.

Nothing groundbreaking and the last episode left me with a "really, that's it?" feeling (probably going to be another season since the manga's ongoing), but I think it's a fun little romance-comedy. It's totally josei-geared, but the humor is pretty universal.
Posted Image

#822 XxFuRy2Xx

XxFuRy2Xx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:50 PM

Just like Razzuel, I also finished up High School of the Dead. Although, unlike Razzuel, the big bouncing breasts didn't bother me. They fit in perfectly since it's a pretty absurd show. I'll most likely be picking up the blu-ray release (if there is one) so I can see it in all of it's uncensored glory.

MyAnimeList

#823 bluedotlounge

bluedotlounge

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:21 PM

Just got my press screener of Durarara! though it only features the first 5 episodes. One episode in and it looks like a Tokyo tourism video for young adults. I'm digging it, especially the Baccano! connection.

#824 Amblix

Amblix

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:58 PM

On the manga side, Bleach should have ended with Aizen arc, getting pretty stale.

Naruto is getting good now. :D

#825 coolsteel

coolsteel

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:10 PM

i don't think Bleach is really getting stale but after some hundred chapters of nothing but fighting taking a step back to tell the story again is kinda jarring. Rumor is Bleach only has this arc and one more before it's over anyway so no point bailing now.

Some of these recent issues of Naruto have been good with Madara stepping it up in his role as evil super ninja (bonus points for coughing up two people) but at other times I want to bang my head against the wall reading this stuff. Naruto himself comes off dumber then ever and it seems everyone in the war not from Konoha is borderline incompetent .

#826 Amblix

Amblix

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:22 PM

i don't think Bleach is really getting stale but after some hundred chapters of nothing but fighting taking a step back to tell the story again is kinda jarring. Rumor is Bleach only has this arc and one more before it's over anyway so no point bailing now.

Some of these recent issues of Naruto have been good with Madara stepping it up in his role as evil super ninja (bonus points for coughing up two people) but at other times I want to bang my head against the wall reading this stuff. Naruto himself comes off dumber then ever and it seems everyone in the war not from Konoha is borderline incompetent .

Naruto could do with out Naruto, haha. Great battles going on at least.

Anywho, just finish Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood Part 3 Blu ray and.

HOLY Fuck.

That's all I'll say. Can't wait for the new movie that's supposed to come out this year.

Edit: Oh and the opening is soooo good.

Edited by Amblix, 05 January 2011 - 08:33 PM.

#827 ChibiJosh

ChibiJosh

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:07 PM

Just like Razzuel, I also finished up High School of the Dead. Although, unlike Razzuel, the big bouncing breasts didn't bother me. They fit in perfectly since it's a pretty absurd show. I'll most likely be picking up the blu-ray release (if there is one) so I can see it in all of it's uncensored glory.

Yeah, I wasn't really bothered by them either. The only thing that kinda annoyed me was that the school nurse's breasts were often accompanied by "boing" noises.
I already have the first graphic novel pre-ordered at rightstuf.
Posted Image
PS3 Trophy card:
Spoiler

#828 Razzuel

Razzuel

People are idiots.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:11 AM

can anyone explain the final episode of toradora to me? it was impressively shitty. otherwise the series was fantastic.

Spoiler

Sorry, I'm a little late in asking, but can you re-elaborate because I'm not sure what you are asking and why you didn't like the ending?

Yeah, I wasn't really bothered by them either. The only thing that kinda annoyed me was that the school nurse's breasts were often accompanied by "boing" noises.

No one else thought this was utterly stupid?

Spoiler

#829 ChibiJosh

ChibiJosh

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:22 AM

Spoiler

Best Matrix homage ever.
Posted Image
PS3 Trophy card:
Spoiler

#830 lilman

lilman

Only the ordinary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:42 PM

Finished Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto (Someday's Dreamers). It was alright. The story progresses very slowly but I enjoyed that aspect. My main gripe was
Spoiler
Otherwise I thought the series did a good job portraying the message it sought to. It was interesting to see a realistic take on what could happen if mages existed in modern society.

Next up I'll give Fruits Basket a try. I really want to start Ranma 1/2 but I'll use that to replace Law of Ueki (on episode 35 of 51).

Anywho, just finish Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood Part 3 Blu ray and.

HOLY Fuck.

That's all I'll say. Can't wait for the new movie that's supposed to come out this year.

*anticipation building*
I have the first 3 parts sitting here but I'm waiting for the last part to be released at the end of March before starting the series.

#831 Indecisive Rattle

Indecisive Rattle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:43 PM

*anticipation building*
I have the first 3 parts sitting here but I'm waiting for the last part to be released at the end of March before starting the series.

Part 4 comes out at the end of March. Part 5 is the last part, and I don't even know if it has a release date yet.

#832 lilman

lilman

Only the ordinary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:58 PM

Part 4 comes out at the end of March. Part 5 is the last part, and I don't even know if it has a release date yet.

Oh noes, I thought part 4 would be the last. I've kept myself from watching any of the series (even on AS), I didn't realize the series has 64 episodes. I feel bad for getting the first three sets so early... I doubt I'll be able to hold off watching till the 5th part is released (probably end of June if they keep releasing every three months or so).

#833 XxFuRy2Xx

XxFuRy2Xx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:17 PM

Spoiler

This was actually pretty awesome. :applause:

MyAnimeList

#834 Kirin Lemon

Kirin Lemon

世界を革命する者

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:47 AM

Spoiler

I did, I did! And don't forget the jiggling and sex moans when what's-his-face was firing that big gun. Among other scenes I've tried to so hard not to remember. The show would have been so much better if not for the *ridiculous* amounts of T&A that were so inappropriately shoehorned in there.
Posted Image

#835 thirdrose

thirdrose

MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:59 AM

On the manga side, Bleach should have ended with Aizen arc, getting pretty stale.

Naruto is getting good now. :D

I stepped away from Bleach for like a year and a half. I'm actually glad I was spoiled by this post; story progression/resolution means i have a reason to start watching it again.

#836 Amblix

Amblix

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:54 PM

*anticipation building*

I've decided just to watch the rest of the subs of the series that my friend has, can't wait that long to finish it. :(

Anyway!

Is there a difference between Full Metal Panis - The Complete Series and Full Metal Panis FUMOFFU The Complete series? The blu-rays are both marked down by quite a bit on amazon, didn't know if there was a difference in them so I don't know which to buy. :D

OH! And Evangelion 2.22 BR is available for pre-order at 23.99!

http://www.amazon.co...4419485&sr=1-10

I ordered 2.22 from Japan when it came out for ALOT more then that haha. I'll probably do the same for 3.33 and 4.44. :D

#837 lilman

lilman

Only the ordinary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:08 PM

Is there a difference between Full Metal Panis - The Complete Series and Full Metal Panis FUMOFFU The Complete series? The blu-rays are both marked down by quite a bit on amazon, didn't know if there was a difference in them so I don't know which to buy. :D

Full Metal Panic! The Complete Series is the first season of the series. It has a semi-serious tone (with humor thrown in) and follows a single storyline. Fumoffu is based on the same FMP characters but doesn't follow a storyline... each episode is broken into two parts that are usually meant to be taken as individual entities. Fumoffu is absolutely hilarious and completely non-serious; it is best watched after the first season since you will have a better feel for the characters. Some consider Fumoffu to be the second season of the series, but from what I've read of the manga its events occur in-between those of season one (so season one is like the beginning of the manga but with some of the more humorous events plucked out and lined up in Fumoffu). Lastly there is Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid. It's a new storyline from the first season, but timeline wise it occurs shortly after the events of the first season.

So in summary, watch: FMP The Complete Series -> Fumoffu -> FMP The Second Raid

*ordered* Thanks for the heads up :)

#838 Amblix

Amblix

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:30 PM

Guess I'll order all 3 FMP blu rays. :)

Thanks for the help!

#839 Kuroi Kaze

Kuroi Kaze

Yes, I toss douches.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:53 PM

Finished Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto (Someday's Dreamers). It was alright.

Next up I'll give Fruits Basket a try. I really want to start Ranma 1/2 but I'll use that to replace Law of Ueki (on episode 35 of 51).

You just reminded me that Maho Tsukai Tai exists and I remember it pretty fondly from back in the day. I know it's unrelated but I figured I'd mention it.

Fruits is pretty much a letdown...steel thyself.

Ranma 1/2 was one of my very first anime and I'll say that I liked it but unfortunately it (like most Rumiko series) just goes on and on without the characters learning or developing. In a world with FMA and DeathNote I don't know if Ranma still has an audience.

Law of Ueki was an aight lil' shonen that was fun to breeze through.

sig.gif
Sekai wa hiroi yo!

#840 bluedotlounge

bluedotlounge

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:57 PM

http://www.amazon.co...4419485&sr=1-10

I ordered 2.22 from Japan when it came out for ALOT more then that haha. I'll probably do the same for 3.33 and 4.44. :D

Nice, I was in touch with Evangelion 2.0's North American film distributor (I was requesting a DVD/Blu-ray screener) and they said they're not bothering with an English dub this time around, at least with the film version.