Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

• Please log in to reply
3060 replies to this topic

#1561 creid

creid

Dead For The Summer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:03 AM

Fate/Zero is really damn good, but it's not a good jumping point at all if you don't want major parts of Fate/stay night spoiled for you.

Also, there's no guarantee that Fate/Zero is going to sell out and become out of print; it's not advertised as a limited edition like The Garden of Sinners, nor has it already had a home media release like The Garden of Sinners did. Right Stuf's allotment may sell out, but you should still be able to import it long after it's released. However, if you want it and don't want to risk missing out, then buy it.

I would think that since the price is so high, they don't expect to sell many, which means they won't print many. Kinda want to hold off on F/sn until I can get a hold of the VN, which I assume is superior to the anime?

#1562 Razzuel

Razzuel

People are idiots.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:00 AM

I would think that since the price is so high, they don't expect to sell many, which means they won't print many. Kinda want to hold off on F/sn until I can get a hold of the VN, which I assume is superior to the anime?

Huh? These are gonna sell like crazy. It's been in the top 100 selling DVDs on Amazon Japan for weeks now; it's currently the 25th best selling DVD/Blu-ray and it's the 8th best selling anime DVD/Blu-ray.

The Garden of Sinners Blu-ray box set sold 25,000 units, which was exactly how many were made, and it cost about $400. If you didn't already know, this price is normal for anime in Japan, which is why it's so expensive.

As for Fate/stay night, I'd say watch the show first and then play the visual novel, if you plan on playing the visual novel at all. The show is pretty much the first storyline with a handful of changes, which is only 1/3 of the whole story, so you're missing out on a lot if you don't play it. If you want to read my thoughts on the visual novel (it's spoiler free), you can go back a couple pages and read it here.

The easiest place to order it from is probably JList. If you want voices, you're also going to need to buy the PS2 version, which you can buy at PlayAsia. Also, you must install the Realta Nua enhancements as well; it changes some of the music, story, and CGs to those used in the PS2 game, and they are absolutely worth it.

#1563 creid

creid

Dead For The Summer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:51 PM

Huh? These are gonna sell like crazy. It's been in the top 100 selling DVDs on Amazon Japan for weeks now; it's currently the 25th best selling DVD/Blu-ray and it's the 8th best selling anime DVD/Blu-ray.

The Garden of Sinners Blu-ray box set sold 25,000 units, which was exactly how many were made, and it cost about $400. If you didn't already know, this price is normal for anime in Japan, which is why it's so expensive.

As for Fate/stay night, I'd say watch the show first and then play the visual novel, if you plan on playing the visual novel at all. The show is pretty much the first storyline with a handful of changes, which is only 1/3 of the whole story, so you're missing out on a lot if you don't play it. If you want to read my thoughts on the visual novel (it's spoiler free), you can go back a couple pages and read it here.

The easiest place to order it from is probably JList. If you want voices, you're also going to need to buy the PS2 version, which you can buy at PlayAsia. Also, you must install the Realta Nua enhancements as well; it changes some of the music, story, and CGs to those used in the PS2 game, and they are absolutely worth it.

I would understand it selling well in Japan, where these prices are normal, but I guess I underestimated how interested Americans would be in paying Japanese prices (especially for such little content.)

Thanks for the link to the PC game, though that price stings. Looks like the English patch and Realta Nua patches are separate? Is there a good guide to getting this all set up somewhere?

#1564 Razzuel

Razzuel

People are idiots.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:02 PM

I would understand it selling well in Japan, where these prices are normal, but I guess I underestimated how interested Americans would be in paying Japanese prices (especially for such little content.)

Sorry, I referring to its total sales, not just the sales from being imported to the US, since there's only one release, the Japanese release. Also, related to that, those Garden of Sinners sales numbers were its total sales, including domestic and international purchases.

I'm not really sure how well Fate/Zero will sell on Right Stuf. If I had to guess, Right Stuf probably only has about as many allocations as they did for The Garden of Sinners, since its the only other release like this.

Thanks for the link to the PC game, though that price stings. Looks like the English patch and Realta Nua patches are separate? Is there a good guide to getting this all set up somewhere?

Hmm, you might be able to save some money if you buy it from Amazon Japan for about $84, but since it's PC software, you'll have to use a forwarding service like Tenso (which is actually affordable and really easy). Tenso has a fee calculator if you want to see if you'll be saving any money if you buy it from Amazon Japan instead of JList.

Yes, the English patch and the Realta Nua patch are separate patches. As for a installation guide, I can provide that, haha. If you do buy it, and if you still have trouble getting everything set up after using this little guide I wrote, just let me know and I'll lend you a hand.

Fate/stay night installation guide:

Spoiler

#1565 creid

creid

Dead For The Summer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:05 PM

Thanks. I've forgotten about Tenso, I had been meaning to try it out. Looks like it would be about $20 to have them re-ship it, so I might just go with J-List just so I know I can actually contact customer service if I have a problem. Are voices really worth an extra $40?

#1566 Razzuel

Razzuel

People are idiots.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:29 PM

Thanks. I've forgotten about Tenso, I had been meaning to try it out. Looks like it would be about $20 to have them re-ship it, so I might just go with J-List just so I know I can actually contact customer service if I have a problem. Are voices really worth an extra $40?

I think the voices added a lot of personality to the characters, and it made the whole experience much richer; the voice acting is really well done, and all of the characters' voices are memorable. I didn't regret my purchase at all; I couldn't imagine playing through all 80 hours of the game without any voices.

#1567 XxFuRy2Xx

XxFuRy2Xx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:15 PM

I saw the last episode of Durarara on adult swim last night, and I have to say that it wasn't quite what I had hoped for. Although, it was definitely a Durarara kind of ending.

Please check out my channel: Alan Bytes Back!

MyAnimeList

#1568 Gden

Gden

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:37 PM

My local store that used to rent anime has been liquidating their former rentals, and I picked up a few dvds from there.
(all of these are complete in original dvd box with no damage to discs)
Omishi Magical Theater Risky Safety
Niea under 7
Geobreeders (both dvds)
Read or Die tv series (original pioneer dvds)
Total I paid: $48.
I'm not changing my signature until Busou Renkin, and Trizenon get licensed.
FC: Pokemon Pearl - 1160-6253-4611
Posted Image

#1569 Kuroi Kaze

Kuroi Kaze

Yes, I toss douches.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:03 AM

I absolutely loved it, and I'm pretty disappointed that it's over. It's been such a great journey.

Also, Kurapica's struggle with the Spiders was unbelievable; one of the best parts of the show.

So yeah I liked the show but honestly Greed Island is pretty disappointing and unnecessary feeling. I just wanted the whole Spiders thing resolved as it is the best part of the series and instead it just gets postponed. I guess the writer is the most inconsistent and non-working writer ever as he releases at a snails pace and puts the manga on hold all the time. Worse is the part in manga following it isn't about the Spiders or anything and just gets sort of stupid with human/insect Chimera Ants attacking or whatever.

It's a great show that is horribly mismanaged by the talent that created it.

I guess the ant arc is over now and maybe things will finally get back on track.

sig.gif
Sekai wa hiroi yo!

#1570 ChibiJosh

ChibiJosh

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:04 AM

My local store that used to rent anime has been liquidating their former rentals, and I picked up a few dvds from there.
(all of these are complete in original dvd box with no damage to discs)
Omishi Magical Theater Risky Safety
Niea under 7
Geobreeders (both dvds)
Read or Die tv series (original pioneer dvds)
Total I paid: $48.

Risky Safety is a great show. I still have it on VHS fansubs (I have the DVDs too).
Posted Image
Games Completed '08 (32) - '09 (43) - '10 (48) - '11 (43) -'12 (15)
PS3 Trophy card:
Spoiler

#1571 creid

creid

Dead For The Summer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:50 PM

I think the voices added a lot of personality to the characters, and it made the whole experience much richer; the voice acting is really well done, and all of the characters' voices are memorable. I didn't regret my purchase at all; I couldn't imagine playing through all 80 hours of the game without any voices.

Hah, now it turns out they're doing a PC port of Realta Nua. Figures. Guess I'll be waiting.

#1572 Razzuel

Razzuel

People are idiots.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:07 PM

Hah, now it turns out they're doing a PC port of Realta Nua. Figures. Guess I'll be waiting.

Yeah, I saw that too, but there's no guarantee that someone's going to create a translation patch for it, so you might end up waiting in vain.

#1573 creid

creid

Dead For The Summer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:09 AM

Yeah, I saw that too, but there's no guarantee that someone's going to create a translation patch for it, so you might end up waiting in vain.

I would think a translation patch is inevitable, but I guess I might be waiting a long time. Probably will go ahead after all.

#1574 lilman

lilman

Only the ordinary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:53 PM

Finished watching Planetes, and it blew me away! I don't remember any buzz about this series, even when it came out 6 yrs ago, but it's the best I've watched this year (beating out Spice and Wolf). Planetes is categorized as sci-fi but portrays a very rational future (no giant robots, monsters, or aliens). The story and characters are terribly engrossing, the music and art match well with the realistic tone, the English dub is superb, and all of the story elements are pulled together by the end of the series.

So yeah, go watch Planetes :3

#1575 SensualCurl

SensualCurl

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:26 PM

I'm halfway through planetes atm :D

#1576 moon_knight

moon_knight

Gotta Have Blue Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:42 PM

Finally got around to finishing Gungrave, really liked it.

#1577 Razzuel

Razzuel

People are idiots.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:43 PM

I recently finished True Tears and Professor Layton and The Eternal Diva.

True Tears was pretty good. It's another realistic, competent drama/romance like Rumbling Hearts, and like Rumbling Hearts, I really hated the ending, since I didn't like that
Spoiler
. Besides the great drama, I really enjoyed Noe, since she's such an interesting and unique character — I can't really think of very many characters like her. Also, the facial expressions are fantastic; they show a lot of emotion and mood, which helps with the drama and comedy.

Professor Layton and The Eternal Diva was awesome. It's everything that I wanted out of a Professor Layton movie. Sure, I like the puzzles in the Professor Layton games, but the things that I really enjoy are the characters, the world, and the story of the games most of all. The movie has a handful of puzzles (that are also good) but the movie is mostly about a new mystery for Professor Layton and his apprentice Luke to solve, and it's executed excellently. It's a shame that Viz only decided to release it on DVD here because I imported the Bluray from the UK, and the movie looks fantastic; P.A. Works (the animation studio) completely captures the world of Professor Layton, and there are some confrontations in the movie that are animated very well.

#1578 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:13 PM

This news sucks so hard about Bandai Entertainment.

Bandai Entertainment, the subsidiary of Namco Bandai Holdings (USA) that handles anime and manga in North America, will stop offering new DVD, Blu-ray Disc, and manga releases next month. It will continue to distribute in its existing catalog lineup, but it will no longer produce and distribute new releases as of this February.

Instead, Bandai Entertainment will focus on licensing rights to other companies, particularly in digital distribution, broadcast, and merchandising. The company will be restructured as a result, and most of its contractors and three of its five fulltime staff members will be laid off. ANN will publish an interview with Bandai Entertainment President and CEO Ken Iyadomi on Tuesday.

The following releases have been cancelled:
Anime DVD/Blu-ray Disc

Gosick
Nichijō
Turn A Gundam
Manga

Code Geass: Renya (Code Geass: Shikkoku no Renya)
Gurren Lagann volume 7
Kannagi volumes 4-6
Lucky Star Boo Boo Kagaboo (spinoff by Eretto)
Mobile Suit Gundam 00I
Tales of the Abyss: Jade's Secret Memories volumes 1 and 2

Releases in Bandai Entertainment's current catalog will still be available after February, and Bandai Entertainment plans to produce new stock on these existing releases, if needed, until their respective licenses expire.

Bandai Entertainment closed its own online store in December, but other retailers can still order and carry Bandai Entertainment's current releases as before.

http://www.animenews...-dvds-bds-manga

Turn A Gundam being canceled makes me VERY sad. :(

Bandai meant a lot to me, since most of my favorite anime was licensed by them.
Posted Image

#1579 coolsteel

coolsteel

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:15 PM

Who the hell does this leave again out of the major players ? Funimation and Viz?

#1580 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:18 PM

Who the hell does this leave again out of the major players ? Funimation and Viz?

It's mostly FUNimation, Viz, Sentai, NIS America, Aniplex America, and Media Blasters. I might be missing one.
Posted Image

#1581 XxFuRy2Xx

XxFuRy2Xx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:44 AM

They'll still be licensing stuff to other companies. So it's not like we'll never see any more Bandai anime in the US. Hopefully Funi and Sentai pick up lots of licenses.

Please check out my channel: Alan Bytes Back!

MyAnimeList

#1582 tangytangerine

tangytangerine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:05 AM

The story isn't really clear on what will happen to the stuff that they're currently releasing & won't wrap up before the end of February.

ANN has already mentioned that the blu-ray of Gundam Unicorn will continue, as that's being released by Bandai Visual. But the DVD will more than likely stop being released, as that version was being released by Bandai Entertainment.

There's supposed to be a follow-up story posted sometime tuesday that will clear up some of the details of Bandai doing this.

#1583 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:53 AM

Finally watched Akira, easily some of the best animation I've ever seen -- though the movie itself was pretty poor.

UjCoyFa.png

#1584 Sol_Blade

Sol_Blade

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:20 AM

Finally watched Akira, easily some of the best animation I've ever seen -- though the movie itself was pretty poor.

They had to trim a lot of stuff in order to make it a movie. Although personally, I thought the movie version was still pretty good.

#1585 coolsteel

coolsteel

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:06 AM

I've always felt that way about it

#1586 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:09 AM

Can't wait for the American live action version.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#1587 coolsteel

coolsteel

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:16 AM

Can't wait for the American live action version.

http://www.hollywood...ner-bros-278729

#1588 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:32 AM

Hope they figure it out.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#1589 lilman

lilman

Only the ordinary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:42 PM

Finished watching The Sacred Blacksmith. It was pretty average with nice art, animation, and English dub. The story starts to build but doesn't go anywhere. The ending resolves little (or maybe nothing) and leaves the series open for a second season. What is currently available is an alright time waster if you can rent or stream it but not worth a buy.

#1590 coolsteel

coolsteel

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:50 PM

Hated that show with a passion after that ending, worry more about setting up a real story for season one before fishing for a second series.