Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

• Please log in to reply
3128 replies to this topic

#1621 ChibiJosh

ChibiJosh

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:14 PM

Reborn's finally made me pretty excited for the first time in years. Tsuna's fighting and he has just gone back to his roots with using the zero point break through.
I think the think that's hurt the manga so much is the constant introducing of new weapons and such.
Posted Image
Games Completed '08 (32) - '09 (43) - '10 (48) - '11 (43) -'12 (15)
PS3 Trophy card:
Spoiler

#1622 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:25 PM

Reborn's finally made me pretty excited for the first time in years. Tsuna's fighting and he has just gone back to his roots with using the zero point break through.
I think the think that's hurt the manga so much is the constant introducing of new weapons and such.

Seeing Reborn for the first time (in his adult form) was probably the best moment of the series for me. And the fact that Tsuna was completely oblvious to it made it all the more entertaining. Can't wait to see his showdown with Iemitsu.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#1623 Kuroi Kaze

Kuroi Kaze

Yes, I toss douches.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:54 PM

I watched all the Reborn anime and like it well enough but after the rings, and then the boxes, I didn't really want to see a new gimmick.

sig.gif
Sekai wa hiroi yo!

#1624 Razzuel

Razzuel

People are idiots.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:58 AM

Seeing Reborn for the first time (in his adult form) was probably the best moment of the series for me. And the fact that Tsuna was completely oblvious to it made it all the more entertaining. Can't wait to see his showdown with Iemitsu.

Oh God, I've only watched the anime. I don't want to hear about what happens afterward in the manga. I can't hear you. La la la la la.

#1625 ChibiJosh

ChibiJosh

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:53 PM

I watched all the Reborn anime and like it well enough but after the rings, and then the boxes, I didn't really want to see a new gimmick.

That's what I'm saying. Things went down hill with the future arc with the boxes and the special vongola animal boxes that turn into weapons too. And then the next arc which all of a sudden introduced 8 new types of flames that apparently only one family can use.

Seeing Tsuna use the zero point break through at this point gave me a bit of a boner, if he freezes someone's flames, I'll probably jizz in my pants.
Posted Image
Games Completed '08 (32) - '09 (43) - '10 (48) - '11 (43) -'12 (15)
PS3 Trophy card:
Spoiler

#1626 lilman

lilman

Only the ordinary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:03 PM

Finished both seasons of Rosario + Vampire Funimation dub. I had heard it was fanservice, but I didn't expect it to be as overdone as it was. It's a shame cause the underlying story and characters had potential for something more than just panty shots. I have to hand it to them on the second op though:
Spoiler

Rewatched Dragon Ball (the original five seasons, not Z). The end of the last season turns into Z-style drawn out muscle displays, but the rest of the series is a great fighting-oriented adventure with an enjoyable story and good amount of humor. Next up is rewatching Yu Yu Hakusho.

Watched the first two seasons of Shin Chan through Netflix streaming. Hadn't seen this series since it aired on Adult Swim (or maybe it was Toonami) years ago. I need to pick up the DVDs some day, such a funny series.

Started watching the first season of The World God Only Knows Sentai dub. Luci Christian as Elsie = epic win! Chris Patton seems to be a good fit for Keima. I'm loving the art style, and at least for the one episode I've seen so far, they seem to have captured the feeling of the manga. The op is stuck in my head :3

Edited by lilman, 07 February 2012 - 12:00 AM.

#1627 themaster20000

themaster20000

You sleeping yet?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:36 PM

Finished both seasons of Rosario + Vampire Funimation dub. I had heard it was fanservice, but I didn't expect it to be as overdone as it was. It's a shame cause the underlying story and characters had potential for something more than just panty shots. I have to hand it to them on the second op though:

Spoiler

Rewatched Dragon Ball (the original five seasons, not Z). The end of the last season turns into Z-style drawn out muscle displays, but the rest of the series is a great fighting-oriented adventure with an enjoyable story and good amount of humor. Next up is rewatching Yu Yu Hakusho.

Started watching the first season of The World God Only Knows Sentai dub. Luci Christian as Elsie = epic win! Chris Patton seems to be a good fit for Keima. I'm loving the art style, and at least for the one episode I've seen so far, they seem to have captured the feeling of the manga. The op is stuck in my head :3

The manga of Rosario+Vampire was way better than that trash show.The show destroyed the characters,had shitty jokes,and way too much fan service,hell the manga doesn't even have any fan service.

#1628 lilman

lilman

Only the ordinary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:46 PM

The manga of Rosario+Vampire was way better than that trash show.The show destroyed the characters,had shitty jokes,and way too much fan service,hell the manga doesn't even have any fan service.

O rly? In that case I'll check out the manga since I liked the premise and characters.

#1629 tangytangerine

tangytangerine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:26 AM

O rly? In that case I'll check out the manga since I liked the premise and characters.

Yeah, the anime really screwed everything. The main thing that was messed with was the story. Read the manga if you want a more serious & different story, with bits of jokes shown once & awhile like
Spoiler

Since you've seen the anime, parts of the manga might seem familiar(although they're a bit altered in the anime). But it pays off in the story if you were tired of the overload of fan service. And it still being published, as there's a 10-volume set that's finished(basically season 1) and still ongoing Season 2(yeah, the manga put that in the title).

Edited by tangytangerine, 07 February 2012 - 07:26 AM.

#1630 Razzuel

Razzuel

People are idiots.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:35 AM

I bought Redline on Blu-ray when it came out last month, and I immediately watched it thereafter. It's pretty damn amazing. It's one of the most visually impressive animated movies I've ever seen, if not the most impressive. The story isn't particularly unique, but the characters like JP, Sonoshee, and Frisbee make it something special. Also, Redline is just a ton of fun; I couldn't help but have a stupid grin on my face throughout most of the movie.

#1631 roger watersmelon

roger watersmelon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:18 PM

The news is about a month old now, but I stumbled upon this the other day. Sentai Filmworks picked up the rights to Familiar of Zero F (the 4th season) and they plan on having a physical release later on this year. I haven't heard anything about seasons 2 or 3.

http://www.sentai-fi...eases&Itemid=64

#1632 Panda Wizardry

Panda Wizardry

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

Watched the first two seasons of Shin Chan through Netflix streaming. Hadn't seen this series since it aired on Adult Swim (or maybe it was Toonami) years ago. I need to pick up the DVDs some day, such a funny series.

I agree with both of these sentiments. I loved Shin Chan when it aired on adult swim and have purchased the first two seasons of dvd and will eventually pick up the third, too. I also enjoyed the first episode The World God Only Knows, and can't wait to see the rest.

Oh yeah, free VOD FTW!

Please check out my channel: Alan Bytes Back!

MyAnimeList

#1633 thenexus6

thenexus6

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:50 PM

Recently rewatched Summer Wars and the Girl who Leapt Through Time. Both super movies, went and downloaded both soundtracks after too which are good too.

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee.
https://twitter.com/saunderscowie

#1634 RomieYO

RomieYO

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:34 AM

I know this is a pretty crap thing to ask, but can you guys suggest some animes along the lines of Evangelion, FLCL or Akira? I'm more of a movie guy myself, but I like psychological, adult anime. I prefer shorter anime that I don't have to commit 30+ episodes to as well as having some sort of substance to it, where it could possibly make somebody think in a different way (which 1% of anime I've seen has done). Also, not to be a drag, but does anybody else get sick of the coming of age story of a male protagonist in middle school who is too shy or introverted to go out and do things, but is pushed by strong females to do so? The only good ones I've seen are Eva and FLCL.
It's like the people making these have degrees in marketing and are making fun of us as viewers (as being awkward, virgin boys in middle school with absolutely no drive).

#1635 thelonepig

thelonepig

Greasy Pork Pirates!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:41 AM

Gankutsuou.

#1636 RomieYO

RomieYO

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:49 AM

Gankutsuou.

It looks pretty innovative. I'll check that one out. Thanks. From the synopsis it seems like he has a decent drive so that's always a nice change of pace.

#1637 Kirin Lemon

Kirin Lemon

世界を革命する者

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:28 AM

I know this is a pretty crap thing to ask, but can you guys suggest some animes along the lines of Evangelion, FLCL or Akira? I'm more of a movie guy myself, but I like psychological, adult anime. I prefer shorter anime that I don't have to commit 30+ episodes to as well as having some sort of substance to it, where it could possibly make somebody think in a different way (which 1% of anime I've seen has done). Also, not to be a drag, but does anybody else get sick of the coming of age story of a male protagonist in middle school who is too shy or introverted to go out and do things, but is pushed by strong females to do so? The only good ones I've seen are Eva and FLCL.
It's like the people making these have degrees in marketing and are making fun of us as viewers (as being awkward, virgin boys in middle school with absolutely no drive).

Mawaru Penguindrum and (even though it's longer than 30 episodes - 39, to be exact) Revolutionary Girl Utena. Oh, and as long as I already broke that episodes rule, Monster.
Posted Image

#1638 Kuroi Kaze

Kuroi Kaze

Yes, I toss douches.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:45 PM

Gankutsuou is brilliant. Monster is brilliant (but i find the anime be too slow compared to the manga). Utena is alright but it gets really weird and sketchy later on in the show and is sort of overtly homosexual which may or may not be your thing.

sig.gif
Sekai wa hiroi yo!

#1639 Gden

Gden

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:46 AM

Don't crucify me for saying this but if you have netflix give Fruits basket a try, RomieYO, you can also watch it on Hulu, I think. It's an anime that makes you think, and it is psychological, though not quite in hte way like stuff like paranoia agent, or Technolyze, but it is still psychological, don't be fooled by the shoujo looks, it's a great show. Another good one is Fushigi yugi, which, btw seems to have been license rescued, because rightstuf is selling the first season. I recommend that show to everyone.
I'm not changing my signature until Busou Renkin, and Trizenon get licensed.
FC: Pokemon Pearl - 1160-6253-4611
Posted Image

#1640 Kirin Lemon

Kirin Lemon

世界を革命する者

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:23 AM

Utena is alright but it gets really creative and amazing later on in the show and is sort of overtly brilliant which may or may not be your thing.

Fixed! :D

But seriously, Utena is one of those shows that offers something new for its audience upon every viewing, with tons of depth and plenty to ponder about. It's exactly what RomieYO is looking for.
Posted Image

#1641 Rogueleader17

Rogueleader17

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:26 AM

So anyone got any new recomendations? I have alot on my "to watch list" and I am having a hard time figuring out where to start. http://myanimelist.n...t/Rogueleader17

tachikoma_02.gif"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes."

#1642 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:46 AM

cant believe theyre finally going to end the bleach manga series. wonder how long till naruto ends?

#1643 coolsteel

coolsteel

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:58 AM

cant believe theyre finally going to end the bleach manga series. wonder how long till naruto ends?

It has been said this is going to be longer then the Arrancar arc...... that arc was a year and a half . So what Bleach is ending in 3 years oh noes! I don't see Naruto ending just yet he is just an overpowered kid there could be another ten years of him as an adult easy.

#1644 Panda Wizardry

Panda Wizardry

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:27 PM

So anyone got any new recomendations? I have alot on my "to watch list" and I am having a hard time figuring out where to start. http://myanimelist.n...t/Rogueleader17

Haibane Renmei and the girl who leapt through time. Do it!

Please check out my channel: Alan Bytes Back!

MyAnimeList

#1645 panzerfaust

panzerfaust

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

^ Haibane Renmei, Steins;Gate, or Bakemonogatari

#1646 Kuroi Kaze

Kuroi Kaze

Yes, I toss douches.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:30 PM

Haibane Renmei was alright but I felt it was too vague and I would have like more disclosure of the secrets of the universe to really enjoy it. You can be mysterious but at some point you need to throw back the curtain and explain yourself as an author and it bugs me when that isn't done. It's an extremely mellow and melancholy sort of show if that's your thing.

sig.gif
Sekai wa hiroi yo!

#1647 Broseph

Broseph

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:03 PM

Any recommendations for me?

All time favorites:

El Hazard (the original 1996'ish series)
Golden Boy (I'm not even joking)
Escaflowne
Gurren Lagann
FLCL
Hajime no Ippo

Manga I like:
20th Century Boys
One Piece (can't believe I've been reading this for TEN years!)

I've tried watching a few shows over the last few years but I rarely get beyond the first episode or two. Nothing really hooks me. I did watch 10 eps of Bakuman though. I suppose I could get back into that. I watched about 5 eps of Deadman Wonderland - which I liked - but it was so deadly serious.

I like my anime and manga to be fun but not entirely brainless yet, I hate pseudo-spiritual psychobabble depressing stuff. You know the stuff I'm talking about.

I know this is a tall order and my tastes are kinda confusing - so thanks in advance!

#1648 roger watersmelon

roger watersmelon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:27 PM

So, we're getting very close to the release of the limited edition version of Puella Magi Madoka Magica vol 1. Although I really, really want to pick them up, I just don't think I can bring myself to spend $225 on a 12 episode series :-(

#1649 Magiblaze

Magiblaze

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:31 AM

About time! lol. Seems like the last arc could have been completely filler and I don't think people would notice at all if it wasn't for having actual seen the manga of the arc.Seemed like a better ending would've been the arrancar arc,but can't complain too much since I still enjoyed seeing it out towards the end.

#1650 themaster20000

themaster20000

You sleeping yet?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:42 AM

Any recommendations for me?

All time favorites:

El Hazard (the original 1996'ish series)
Golden Boy (I'm not even joking)
Escaflowne
Gurren Lagann
FLCL
Hajime no Ippo

Manga I like:
20th Century Boys
One Piece (can't believe I've been reading this for TEN years!)

I've tried watching a few shows over the last few years but I rarely get beyond the first episode or two. Nothing really hooks me. I did watch 10 eps of Bakuman though. I suppose I could get back into that. I watched about 5 eps of Deadman Wonderland - which I liked - but it was so deadly serious.

I like my anime and manga to be fun but not entirely brainless yet, I hate pseudo-spiritual psychobabble depressing stuff. You know the stuff I'm talking about.

I know this is a tall order and my tastes are kinda confusing - so thanks in advance!

For manga's check out these

Eden:It's an Endless World
Gunsmith Cats
Aqua
Aria
Iron Wok Jan
Love Hina
xxxholic
Hellsing
Berserk
Cross Game
Cromartie High School