Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

• Please log in to reply
3014 replies to this topic

#1861 E Nice

E Nice

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:38 AM

So... tried neon genesis evangelion the other day... and I frickin love it!! Can't believe I skipped over it all these years. I have vol. 7 left of the platinum collection and then the movie.

Can anyone recommend something like it via PM? I heard Macross and spaceship Yamato(sp?) are good. Gantz and Ergo Proxy and Black Butler look interesting too. I'm a fan of Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Paranoia Agent, Gundam Wing and such. Any recommendation is appreciated.

As for similar, RahXephon and it's compressed movie version. Save the movie for last, as it would spoil it all, but it is a bit different and helps fill in some stuff the series didn't show.

Ergo Proxy is good, great cast, and Pino is adorable. If you liked the mystery of Paranoia Agent you should see When They Cry.
Murk: We will bring you Bob Barker. We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker! - BTVS

#1862 PimpLimp

PimpLimp

Pimpin Aint Easy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:54 AM

Here's the first 6 and a half minutes of Evangelion 3.0 in HD if anyone wants to watch:

#1863 PimpLimp

PimpLimp

Pimpin Aint Easy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:48 AM

New One Piece Film Z trailer:

#1864 moon_knight

moon_knight

Gotta Have Blue Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:03 AM

Another one piece movie? I am surprised.

#1865 PimpLimp

PimpLimp

Pimpin Aint Easy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:17 AM

Another one piece movie? I am surprised.

Yup, it's ONLY film #12. It's the first set in the New World and it has Avril Lavigne covering a Nickelback song. What more could you want?

#1866 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:19 AM

You think luffy can extend other parts of his body besides his arms and legs?

Like his ears?

#1867 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:21 AM

Didn't garp leave the marines? I'm guessing this movie is set before Ace dies? As if timelines matter in shounen side movies.

#1868 coolsteel

coolsteel

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:27 AM

Damn Eva 3 is going to be a long wait now

#1869 PimpLimp

PimpLimp

Pimpin Aint Easy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:45 AM

Didn't garp leave the marines? I'm guessing this movie is set before Ace dies? As if timelines matter in shounen side movies.

Where did you get that Garp is still in the marines in that trailer? The villain in the new movie is a former navy admiral and was most likely friends with Garp while both were in the navy. Luffy also has the X-shaped scar on his chest, clearly showing that this is after the events of Marineford.

#1870 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:51 AM

Where did you get that Garp is still in the marines in that trailer? The villain in the new movie is a former navy admiral and was most likely friends with Garp while both were in the navy. Luffy also has the X-shaped scar on his chest, clearly showing that this is after the events of Marineford.

Oh I didn't see that I was just skipping through it and saw what looked like garp in front of a bunch of fire.

I guess the dude at 1:11 isn't garp? my bads yo

#1871 Angie7F

Angie7F

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

Eva 3 will be released outside of Japan already,right?

#1872 PimpLimp

PimpLimp

Pimpin Aint Easy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

Eva 3 will be released outside of Japan already,right?

It will....in time. Who knows if it will see a limited theatrical release in the states like the last two movies did, but don't expect to see it hit DVD outside of Japan for another year and a half to two years.

EDIT: And Evangelion 3.0 just earned Japan's highest weekend box office of 2012 this past weekend. This doesn't mean much but it does bode well for the movie getting localized here that much faster.

Edited by PimpLimp, 20 November 2012 - 04:53 PM.

#1873 PimpLimp

PimpLimp

Pimpin Aint Easy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:29 AM

Berserk: The Golden Age - The Egg of the King CE:
Posted Image

It comes out on December 24th. Can't find it on the Amazon US site, but it's available for pre-order in the UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008X70QE2

Edited by PimpLimp, 27 November 2012 - 04:01 PM.

#1874 Rogueleader17

Rogueleader17

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:46 AM

Almost done with RahXephon, as much as it is a shameless rip off of evangelion I do like it.

tachikoma_02.gif"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes."

#1875 coolsteel

coolsteel

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:12 AM

When the heck did Ranma 1/2 go out of print?

#1876 tangytangerine

tangytangerine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:09 PM

When the heck did Ranma 1/2 go out of print?

It's been OOP for a couple years now. Last batches Viz printed was back in 2009. It just took awhile for that inventory to sell and then people realized that Viz hasn't printed anymore since.

Berserk: The Golden Age - The Egg of the King CE:

It comes out on December 24th. Can't find it on the Amazon US site, but it's available for pre-order in the UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008X70QE2

It looks like the U.S. is only getting the regular edition: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008UE8ICK

But at least you'll be able to watch it a month before the UK edition, since it comes out tomorrow.

#1877 Gden

Gden

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

Is world god only knows worth picking up? It's on sale for the 12 days of anime.
I'm not changing my signature until Busou Renkin, and Trizenon get licensed.
FC: Pokemon Pearl - 1160-6253-4611
Posted Image

#1878 lilman

lilman

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

Is world god only knows worth picking up? It's on sale for the 12 days of anime.

Yes! I love the manga, and the anime is a great adaptation. $49 for both seasons is a steal. They are usually like $40 a piece at the lowest.

Looks like they are also selling the individual seasons for $25.

Edited by lilman, 27 November 2012 - 04:34 PM.

#1879 Rogueleader17

Rogueleader17

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

Didn't care for that one myself.

tachikoma_02.gif"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes."

#1880 roger watersmelon

roger watersmelon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:39 AM

I got my Lain blu ray box set in the mail from Right Stuf a couple of days ago. Boy am I glad I picked that up. The series looks great, and the book and everything is really well put together. Honestly, it doesn't seem like a Funimation release (no offense intended funi). There's some minor dings and imperfections on my copy (the disc cases don't come out easily) but nothing visible while it's on the shelf.

If any of you are debating about getting it, I encourage you to do so.

#1881 Razzuel

Razzuel

People are idiots.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:50 AM

I got my Lain blu ray box set in the mail from Right Stuf a couple of days ago. Boy am I glad I picked that up. The series looks great, and the book and everything is really well put together. Honestly, it doesn't seem like a Funimation release (no offense intended funi). There's some minor dings and imperfections on my copy (the disc cases don't come out easily) but nothing visible while it's on the shelf.

If any of you are debating about getting it, I encourage you to do so.

I hate to rain on your parade here, but it looks noticeably worse than the Japanese release. I don't know what Funimation did, but whatever it was, they introduced some really bad banding into the show and messed with the brightness. I think it's laughable that this is supposed to be one of their most special releases, but then they ultimately Fuck it up.

It probably would have helped if they spread the whole show across two BD-50s, not a BD-50 and a BD-25. I mean, why does Heaven's Lost Property get better treatment (it's on two BD-50s) than Lain, something they tout as incredibly special.

So for anyone out there considering buying the Lain Blu-ray, know that you're not getting the best possible release.

Examples: http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?11343-Serial-Experiments-Lain/page10&p=148526#post148526

#1882 PancakesAreLove

PancakesAreLove

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:51 AM

Just watch the first episode. Personally I didn't like it very much.

New Years backlog completed: 14/100

EIPsyCongroo.png

#1883 the_punisher

the_punisher

Dare enter the metro.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:41 AM

No 6 at $25 isn't too bad, any impressions?

Also anyone seen the Berserk movie? Looks like a sweet CE but I loved the original anime, ended shitty but movie still looks interesting.

Money comes and goes, but deals don't last forever ;)

If anime was mainstream, would it be as satisfying?

#1884 roger watersmelon

roger watersmelon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

I hate to rain on your parade here, but it looks noticeably worse than the Japanese release. I don't know what Funimation did, but whatever it was, they introduced some really bad banding into the show and messed with the brightness. I think it's laughable that this is supposed to be one of their most special releases, but then they ultimately Fuck it up.

It probably would have helped if they spread the whole show across two BD-50s, not a BD-50 and a BD-25. I mean, why does Heaven's Lost Property get better treatment (it's on two BD-50s) than Lain, something they tout as incredibly special.

So for anyone out there considering buying the Lain Blu-ray, know that you're not getting the best possible release.

Examples: http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?11343-Serial-Experiments-Lain/page10&p=148526#post148526

Well, that makes me feel better actually, it certainly IS a Funimation release then. :D Admittedly I just grabbed a random episode and watched it, and was copmparing it to the old Pioneer releases (which I think it would look better than those even if I closed my eyes). After reading through that link, it sounds like I dodged a huge bullet by only having the physical packaging be slightly damaged. That's a big problem when you're trying to sell your release as a special, limited edition set.

Although that image comparison is disappointing, I paid $48, and got $30 in Amazon credit for the old pioneer ones (God bless the fact that the old boxsets were just the individual cases inside of an outer sleeve ;)) I can't exactly expect the same quality as a $300 Japanese set.

#1885 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

Yea, I traded in my DVDs too. Now I'm not sure I want the blurays.

#1886 themaster20000

themaster20000

You sleeping yet?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

Sucks that it's not as good Japanese release,but it's still huge upgrade over the original release which is good enough for me

#1887 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

Also anyone seen the Berserk movie? Looks like a sweet CE but I loved the original anime, ended shitty but movie still looks interesting.

So far it has just been a recap of the series that was already put on DVD, but at a much faster pace only touching on key plot points. Only recommended for hardcore fans honestly.

#1888 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

http://anime.mikomi....a OVA 2011.html

So it just came to my attention that Aa! Megamisama put out a 2 part OVA in 2011, my mind is blown. Any chance of this and maybe the 2007 Angel Eater OVA coming out on DVD for US? I don't want the dub, just a R1 DVD.

#1889 tangytangerine

tangytangerine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:42 AM

http://anime.mikomi....a OVA 2011.html

So it just came to my attention that Aa! Megamisama put out a 2 part OVA in 2011, my mind is blown. Any chance of this and maybe the 2007 Angel Eater OVA coming out on DVD for US? I don't want the dub, just a R1 DVD.

Ask Funimation, judging from the latest ANNCast, they're always looking for suggestions for stuff to pick up. Just don't expect Media Blasters to pick it up. Because that company sounds like they're on their death bed and actually lost the license to the 1st season.

BTW, there is another Ah! My Goddess OVA coming out next summer.

#1890 themaster20000

themaster20000

You sleeping yet?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

Am honestly surprised Media Blasters hasn't gone under yet considering they could never hold a release date to save their lives.