Photo
* * * * * 7 votes

Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

• Please log in to reply
3188 replies to this topic

#1921 the_punisher

the_punisher

Dare enter the metro.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:28 AM

Rented the Mass Effect anime on PSN, wow that was terrible. Also really distracting that one of the main characters is the same voice as Edward Elric but still very bad.

Finished Brotherhood and the movie, main series was incredible. Movie was surprisingly good considering how the TV series ends.

Also got the Haruhi movie in the mail, not sure what to expect on that. First season was really great, second was decent, and now a movie? Hmm. Still waiting on a season 3 announcement too, considering how big the series is in Japan I'm surprised nothing's been announced yet.

Money comes and goes, but deals don't last forever ;)

If anime was mainstream, would it be as satisfying?

#1922 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

Also got the Haruhi movie in the mail, not sure what to expect on that. First season was really great, second was decent, and now a movie? Hmm. Still waiting on a season 3 announcement too, considering how big the series is in Japan I'm surprised nothing's been announced yet.

Movie is pretty good, but the part with only Kyon and Nagato drags on for a while. Probably could be a little shorter though.

#1923 Blade

Blade

Butt Blamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:38 AM

I've just started watching Higurashi no Naku Kori ni. I'm on episode three right now, but I have to know if this show is worth watching. I mean, does Keiichi develop a set of balls? He's not being completely passive about everyone trying to kill him and his friends watching everything he does with their demon eyes, but come on, it's submissive to not confront them. I know there's a twist in here (finished watching Another a few months ago) but is it worth it? Do they stagnate through the whole series with this questionable character growth? :(

Spoiler

Earn $10 instantly with Groupon!

We as a community feel that it would be best if you didn't trade on here anymore. Despite your 350 positive transactions, I'm deactivating your account on 99Gamers because you offend me. I'm unrelatable, give poor customer service, and am now taking away your invested time and money because I don't like you.

Best,
Brandon, Owner of 99Gamers.com

#1924 SolidSnake86

SolidSnake86

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:11 AM

Also got the Haruhi movie in the mail, not sure what to expect on that.

I really enjoyed the Haruhi movie, it made up for that 8-parter in season 2.

Just got finished watching Angel Beats. Wow. That was some show.

#1925 PancakesAreLove

PancakesAreLove

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:22 AM

Movie is pretty good, but the part with only Kyon and Nagato drags on for a while. Probably could be a little shorter though.

A little shorter? That movie was fucking long. Not that it's bad or anything.

New Years backlog completed: 14/100

EIPsyCongroo.png

#1926 Hente

Hente

Honk honk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

Just picked up Oyasumi Punpun and man do I regret not picking it up earlier. Really makes me feel like shit sometimes.

I really enjoyed the Haruhi movie, it made up for that 8-parter in season 2.

Definitely, I don't know how Kyoani thought it was acceptable to make 8 episodes that were virtually the same. I've heard that the E8 arc in the light novel didn't even last that long either.

#1927 guinaevere

guinaevere

plays well with others

• Super Moderators

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

FLCL didn't register at all in Japan, but in the US it was one of the first "batshit insane" anime to appear. Remember, this was before shows like Excel Saga and Bobobo.

I saw and had the box set of excel saga years before I'd even heard of flcl. that doesn't mean everything I know, but I tend to think excel saga was over here way before flcl.

I found flcl massively over-rated. mostly by those who liked the subject matter and/or wanted to sound pretentious by saying, 'you just don't get it.' I got it. I wasn't afraid to say it was crap even though I was (may still be) ostracized for saying it.
gwensigol8.png

#1928 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

OK, Excel Saga's first DVD was released 3 months before FLCL's first DVD, but Excel Saga never aired on TV, so not as many anime fans watched it.

#1929 guinaevere

guinaevere

plays well with others

• Super Moderators

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

I had no idea.
gwensigol8.png

#1930 E Nice

E Nice

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:23 AM

I've just started watching Higurashi no Naku Kori ni. I'm on episode three right now, but I have to know if this show is worth watching. I mean, does Keiichi develop a set of balls? He's not being completely passive about everyone trying to kill him and his friends watching everything he does with their demon eyes, but come on, it's submissive to not confront them. I know there's a twist in here (finished watching Another a few months ago) but is it worth it? Do they stagnate through the whole series with this questionable character growth? :(

Spoiler

Yes, there's a twist to it. The show is being presented to you like viewing all of a visual novel's multiple endings, except each route provides more information for solving the overall mystery. You're not watching the whole deal with one story arc or even one season. I'm not sure Higurashi is that strong in character growth, as it is in story development, but you do learn a lot about each of them as it goes on. I think it's a great show but if the mystery and runaway paranoia isn't hooking you then this show may not be for you.
Murk: We will bring you Bob Barker. We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker! - BTVS

#1931 Magiblaze

Magiblaze

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

Hay friends.I'm thinking about getting the Hellsing Ultimate OVA series on blu-ray with the latest price drop to about 30$.I'm curious though and was hoping you guys could inform me here.Does the OVA series end at Episode 8 or is there more to come?

Edit : Nvm lol.Went and looked it up and theres at least two more episodes that haven't came to the states yet.

#1932 PimpLimp

PimpLimp

Pimpin Aint Easy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:12 AM

Deadman Wonderland has started back up again and the new chapter is out if anyone's interested.

And then there's going to be a 1-hour Toriko/One Piece/DBZ anime special in Japan to promote the upcoming Project Versus J game. The casts of each anime involved have also been released.

#1933 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:46 AM

I would be more interested if it was another OP/DBZ only crossover.

#1934 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:52 AM

I would be more interested if it was another OP/DBZ only crossover.

This, please. The manga One Piece/DBZ crossover was awesome. Zoro and Piccolo all day, every day.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#1935 themaster20000

themaster20000

You sleeping yet?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:22 AM

Black Lagoon has recently returned after being on hiatus for 2 years.

#1936 PimpLimp

PimpLimp

Pimpin Aint Easy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:10 AM

Digimon Tamers is coming to NA on DVD.

#1937 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:42 AM

Finally watching through Katekyo Hitman Reborn fully. I absolutely loving it, finishing through episodes pretty fast. Hoping to have my Tsuna cosplay ready for Katsucon this weekend (I'm currently trying to style the wig w/ spikes).

I finally saw and finished Serial Experiments Lain on Sunday (marathon it). Very interesting....
Posted Image

#1938 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:50 AM

I was just in Target and Nintendo is apparently repackaging the Japanese Pokemon figures again instead of making their own. Considering they have gone up in price, these new packs are kind of nice.

#1939 PimpLimp

PimpLimp

Pimpin Aint Easy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:31 AM

I was really excited to hear this news: the new Hunter x Hunter anime will continue to air through the Chimera Ant Arc.

Here you can see Kite and sketches of other characters:
https://pbs.twimg.co...AvoEE.jpg:large

#1940 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

New trailer for Pokemon Movie 16. A squad of Genesect terrorize the land and are about to kill Ash & company until Mewtwo shows up all pissed-off. Best part? Ash recognizes him, meaning it is, in fact, the same Mewtwo from 15 years ago.

Oh, and Team Rocket appear and once again act like their old selves instead of the fake-badass selves in the series.

#1941 3GSid

3GSid

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

Just finished up Fate Stay Night, and am about to finish Samurai 7.

The ending of Fate Stay Night left a bit of bitterness in my mind
Spoiler
. But after it sat for a bit, I generally did enjoy it nonetheless. Certainly got me intrigued in the series. Enough so where I am now even playing through the PSP game and eventually going to watch Fate Zero!

My Completed Anime List

http://myanimelist.n...tatus=2&order=4                      

My Tradelist

http://www.cheapassg...ion-animemanga/

#1942 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

Reading School Rumble #1 and watching Persona 4 The Animation. Really liking both so far:bouncy:

Hey, you look like you have a lot of money; how about donating some of it to my Extra Life drive?

#1943 PimpLimp

PimpLimp

Pimpin Aint Easy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

Wow! Media Blasters no longer has rights to Bakuman, Rurouni Kenshin, and Berserk animes.

Other undisclosed titles have also expired. And even though they have the rights to Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei and Moyashimon, they have no intentions of releasing them and may license them out to other companies.

#1944 E Nice

E Nice

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:51 PM

Just finished up Fate Stay Night, and am about to finish Samurai 7.

The ending of Fate Stay Night left a bit of bitterness in my mind

Spoiler
. But after it sat for a bit, I generally did enjoy it nonetheless. Certainly got me intrigued in the series. Enough so where I am now even playing through the PSP game and eventually going to watch Fate Zero!

Check out the F/SN movie Unlimited Bladeworks. You may not understand what the heck is going on, unless you read up on it to have it explained, but if you couldn't stand Shirou in the tv series he'll be redeemed here.
Murk: We will bring you Bob Barker. We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker! - BTVS

#1945 themaster20000

themaster20000

You sleeping yet?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:27 AM

Wow! Media Blasters no longer has rights to Bakuman, Rurouni Kenshin, and Berserk animes.

Other undisclosed titles have also expired. And even though they have the rights to Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei and Moyashimon, they have no intentions of releasing them and may license them out to other companies.

Not really a surprise considering all the problems Media Blasters has had of late.

Now it is surprising that their going to focus mainly on the Kitty Media stuff.

Edited by themaster20000, 09 March 2013 - 12:39 AM.

#1946 tangytangerine

tangytangerine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:58 AM

They've also confirmed that they let the licenses for Midori Days & Grenadier expire. So those are 2 new titles to add to Media Blasters' OOP list.

#1947 PimpLimp

PimpLimp

Pimpin Aint Easy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

Neon Genesis Evangelion 1.11 will air on Adult Swim on March 17th as part of the "Toonami Birthday Party" lineup.

And I don't actually care about this but I thought I should share anyways, One Piece will be added to the Toonami programming block.

And here's what the new TOM looks like if anybody cares:

#1948 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:03 PM

Yay, I will actually be able to watch One Piece again!

New TOM looks pretty cool too.

#1949 Kylearan

Kylearan

Hell Drifter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:27 PM

Just finished watching Steins;Gate. Damn, that was good.

#1950 tangytangerine

tangytangerine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:29 AM

I wonder if One Piece is what will be replacing Tenchi Muyo GXP once it finishes up(has about 8 episodes left).