Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

• Please log in to reply
3014 replies to this topic

#2101 tangytangerine

tangytangerine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:07 AM

Looks like Anime Expo started yesterday.  Aniplex announced that we'll be getting a DVD/BR release of Fate/Zero with an english dub.  Hopefully it'll be like Sword Art Online's prices and be a decent price.

Just looking at Sentai's announcements makes me wonder wtf is going on with them and maybe they ran out of money for new titles.  Their new announcements for acquired titles mentioned new re-releases for Divergence Eve & Yumeria(apparently the licenses went from ADV to Sentai).  Also that they got the rights to 11 Tatsunoko titles, although Gatchaman & Casshan were the only ones mentioned.  So apparently they're not spending that much money on new releases.

Although they didn't got into detail, but it seems like they like wasting materials for DVD/BRs.  Because they have Highschool of the Dead's OVA listed for a November release.  At this point it looks like they're going to waste DVD/BR materials on a release for a 15 minute OVA ....wtf?

#2102 DNukem170

DNukem170

Dance like you want to win, Gundam!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

It's not as though they have another season to package it with and unlike FUNimation, they don't repackage their sets every 6 months.

#2103 tangytangerine

tangytangerine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

It's not as though they have another season to package it with and unlike FUNimation, they don't repackage their sets every 6 months.

Yeah, I know Sentai doesn't do that.  But I figured when I saw the headline about it, that they'd do what is happening with Elfen Lied next month(bundling the OVA in with the rest of the show).  So I figured they were going to re-release the first season of HOTD with the OVA included(it'd be a way to milk more money out for that 1st season dub).  Then I saw they're going to release it on DVD/BR on it's own.  Just seems like a waste of money to print a disc for a 15 OVA, even if it's really cheap.

#2104 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:53 PM

Bandai released Gundam SEED Destiny Final Plus by itself and that was an even bigger waste.

#2105 Gden

Gden

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:28 PM

Just out of curiousity, how is $113 decent for 7 episodes?  That's ridicculous even by 1995 standards when you paid $25 for 2 episodes on a VHS.
Edit:  $452 for 25 episodes?  Where do I NOT sign up?
Edit again:  I saw the dvd prices which aren't nearly as bad, in fact $50 for 7 episodes isn't that bad, but over twice that for a blu-ray?  SERIOUSLY?

I'm not changing my signature until Busou Renkin, and Trizenon get licensed.
FC: Pokemon Pearl - 1160-6253-4611
Posted Image

#2106 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:51 PM

I am assuming this is an Aniplex release. If so, this is what happens when you let Japanese companies control pricing.

#2107 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:45 PM

RightStuf announced that they are acquiring Cat's Eye (about time somebody licensed it), Princess Nine, Sengoku Collection, Blessings of the Campenella, Hetalia Manga Volumes 4 and 5, and officially announced Gundam Unicorn.

#2108 Gden

Gden

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:49 PM

Yeah, it's an aniplex release.  Same geniuses that released a show over 14 years old for $200 for the complete set.  And also the same people who brough out Gurren Lagann as a complete set for $900.  I stand corrected ROD is 10 years old.  I stand corrected they lowered the price of GL down to only $670. 

Posted Image

#2109 lilman

lilman

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

Finished watching Penguindrum. It was very interesting, though I think they went a little overboard with symbolism and left some things completely unexplainable. Some good analysis:

http://animeyume.com...ru-penguindrum/

http://nopybot.com/2...to-the-madness/

I think (major plot spoilers):

Spoiler

#2110 GuilewasNK

GuilewasNK

No gimmicks necessary.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:46 AM

Decided to take advatange of the FYE 25% off coupon.   Bought...

Shuffle

Clannad

xxxHolic

Akikan

Strawberry Panic

Princess Jellyfish

Haruhi season 2

Suzuka

Also got Magic Knight Ray Earth 1 and 2 and Clannad After Story from another store.

Posted Image

It is illegal to assault the internet. - Xi Yanchun

click for my list ---> Posted Image RPGS added!

#2111 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

Picked up the Black Butler Season 2 set in a lot a few weeks ago and decided to give it a try before re-selling it. I knew it was for yaoi fan girls but I figured I'd give it a shot.

10 minutes into Episode 1 and I am confused. The dick of a main character gouges out the maid's eye for no real reason and then three identical butlers tap dance while preparing the dinner table.

Did I mention the blonde kid is a dick?

#2112 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:13 PM

TV sucks now so I hooked up Hulu Plus and noticed a shit ton of anime, 90% I have no clue about. So I'm looking for suggestions from my trusty animeCAG. I dont mind watching older stuff or anything dubbed. My only preference is I'd like to watch something short and sweet that both my wife and myself can enjoy. I'm not really up for the task of watching an epic 200+ episode series.

I've always been intrested in Kimba but I was curious if it's aged well. Also I noticed Tenchi Muyo on there and I remember enjoying it back in the Toonami days and from the OVAs I had as a kid.

#2113 themaster20000

themaster20000

You sleeping yet?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:35 PM

Gankutsuou(a scifi take on The Count of Monte Cristo) 24 eps

Cross Game(a slice of life anime based around baseball)  50eps

The Slayers (a fantasy parody)

Kino's Journey 13eps

Baccano(About mobsters in 1920's New York,and told in a pulp fiction style of the story being told out of order) 16eps

Toradora(A very well done romantic comedy)  25eps

#2114 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:50 PM

The only one I recognized was Slayers, the rest I had never heard of. Thanks for the recomendations. I'll look into them.

#2115 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:25 PM

What anime was on the list? Do you prefer action, drama, comedy? How much perviness is acceptable?

Most anime series nowadays rarely go past 26 episodes. The only long-runners here in the US are Pokemon, Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Case Closed/Detective Conan, DBZ, Inuyasha, and YuYu Hakusho.

#2116 Gden

Gden

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:40 AM

I second Slayers, but I will warn you that if you watch the whole series, it's 104 episodes.  Generally, Funimation has good dubs, so you shouldn't have a problem watching their stuff.  If you want an action-y show, I suggest buso renkin, it has pretty epic action, and it clocks in at only 26 episodes, so it's not terribly long.  The dub, though far from bad, did a terrible job of casting the female lead, though everyone else is decent to just fine.  You may or may not like Soul Eater.  To make your girlfriend happy, watch Fruits Basket.  It's very likely that you'll like it, as well, so don't worry.  I've shown the show to over 300 people including people who only like watching rated R movies, people who only like dragon ball z, and of course shoujo fans, and general anime fans, and only one person out of all of them did not like the show.  Kenichi is a pretty awesome show as well.  Another show she may like is His and Her Circumstances (I'd hope you'd like this, too, unless you have no soul, same with Fruits basket).  If you want something violent, High school of the dead is pretty good, but there's a LOT of fanservice.  Oh, yeah, Full Metal Panic.  No, it's not related to Full Metal Alchemist.  I also suggest Ah my goddess, but you may or may not like it.  It's one of my all time favorite animes, though.  (ah my goddess is kind of like Tenchi in a not really at all sort of way)  Chobits is also a very funny anime, it's pseudo-pervy (it's manga was written by a group of female artists famous for only drawing shoujo (girl) mangas, then writing their first shounen manga (chobits).  Alright, my last one is Princess Tutu, and don't let the super cute art fool you (like fruits basket), it's a very dark story.

Posted Image

#2117 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:14 AM

What anime was on the list? Do you prefer action, drama, comedy? How much perviness is acceptable?

Most anime series nowadays rarely go past 26 episodes. The only long-runners here in the US are Pokemon, Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Case Closed/Detective Conan, DBZ, Inuyasha, and YuYu Hakusho.

There's alot, I can't list it all. It could be close to 200 diffrent series. Not a lot of movies, mainly TV shows. I guess I'd be drawn more torwards the action/drama stuff. As for boobies & butts a little is fine but if it's the main focus I probably wouldn't be intrested.

I think most of the shows have trailers so I'll run through all your suggestions. If there's anymore you guys could think of that'd be peachy too.

Gden - I don't mind girly stuff, but I did watch a little bit of Chobits back in college and it wasn't for me. I remember all my friends loving it but I just couldn't get into it. I'm familiar with Ah My Goddess too.

Funny thing is I start watching My Little Pony with my daughter, and it's really not that bad. Much more enjoyable than the mind-numbing drool of Dora and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Still, I wouldn't watch it on my own.

#2118 themaster20000

themaster20000

You sleeping yet?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:29 AM

Another to add would be Black Lagoon,which has over the top action,and a crime drama. Do watch it dubbed if you check it out,since it's miles better than the sub version.

#2119 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:37 AM

Heaven's Lost Property and Sekirei are really awesome anime, but heavy on the ecchi, especial the former. HLP is probably the most unabashedly perverted series ever and it's one of the reasons why it's so awesome.

Out of recently released stuff, Shakugan no Shana is pretty good, though it is 3 26-episode seasons. Fate/Stay Night is quite popular. Baka and Test is pretty funny. Sengoku Basara is pure hotblooded awesomeness. Steins:Gate is one of the best dramas ever. Last Exile and Samurai 7 are Gonzo's best shows. Soul Eater is crazy awesome. Clannad is pure drama. Yamada's First Time is basically American Pie with a female protagonist. Tower of Druaga is a good action show that plays with RPG tropes.

Full Metal Panic and Fullmetal Alchemist are both decently long (former has 1 26-episode season and 2 13-episode seasons, the latter has two different 50-episode anime) but massively popular. Sands of Destruction and Gungrave are two video game anime better than their source material. Case Closed and Sgt. Frog are episodic series that are good in short bursts. Tenchi Muyo is the Trope Codifier for most harem anime for a reason. Death Note is the most epic mental chess game ever. Highschool of the Dead is Walking Dead with more teenage schoolgirls (and associated fanservice). Heaven's Memo Pad, while not Death Note-level, is still quite good. Gunslinger Girl is has a depressing premise but still engaging. The Evangelion movies are required watching. School Rumble is a hilarious and goofy comedy. Aquarion is extremely cheesy with metric tons of sexual innuendo (such as the pilots having an orgasm whenever the combine mechs) but is still awesome.

#2120 moon_knight

moon_knight

Gotta Have Blue Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:24 AM

Highschool of the Dead was so bad, sengoku basara was great the first few episdoes and Samurai 7 was uninteresting.

#2121 thenexus6

thenexus6

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:36 AM

Wondering is the Persona 4 anime worth watching? I've never played any of the games or anything, but they seem good to me.

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

PSN the-nexus6 | Xbox Live Ken the Wizard
https://twitter.com/saunderscowie

#2122 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:01 PM

Wondering is the Persona 4 anime worth watching? I've never played any of the games or anything, but they seem good to me.

I've been watching it and really enjoy it. I haven't played 4 either, but it does a great job IMO of combining the different aspects of the game (from my understanding of them at least, I've only played some of 3) into a cohesive show that doesn't feel like someone just cut the cutscenes into a full anime. I'd recommend it, so far it has been really good (I'm about a 8 episodes in) :D

Let me tell you two useful pieces of information...

#2123 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:51 PM

I watched Persona 4 when I picked up Persona 4 Arena last year because I didn't know shit about any of the characters. I was pleasantly surprised by the show.

Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#2124 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:48 AM

I have been watching Shakugan no Shana and while the first two seasons were decent, they weren't the super-awesome series everyone said.

Season 3 though? DAY-UM.

#2125 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:12 AM

I have been watching Shakugan no Shana and while the first two seasons were decent, they weren't the super-awesome series everyone said.

Season 3 though? DAY-UM.

While I like Shana, I always found the romance in it really sappy. Shana-tan though...

#2126 lilman

lilman

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:33 PM

Season 3 though? DAY-UM.

I thought S1 was the best, S2 was ok, OVA was fun, and then S3 was meh. I may need to watch S3 again. It felt like too much going on and I couldn't always understand the motives. Shana is a cool character.

#2127 Gden

Gden

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:22 AM

I'm kind of tempted to get the first season of Shakugan no shana with it being on sale on amazon right now.  I'm somewhat mad that I didn't get it from best buy while it was on sale for $25 though.

Posted Image

#2128 DNukem170

DNukem170

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:02 PM

So, I decided to check out an Internet Radio station dedicated to anime, since I was getting a little tired of listening to the FM Sports Talk station.

I had no idea there was a Japanese version of the "Kiss Me" song.

Just how many Japanese covers of American artists are there?

#2129 JimmyJim

JimmyJim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:55 PM

Been keeping up with recent Animes lately and watching dubs inbetween

I find it easier to keep up with animes this way.

The ones i enjoyed and am currently following are; Blood lad, gatchaman crowds and watamote.

Saw the first 2 eps of Uchoten kazoku(The eccentric family) but i dont know if i like it. Hopefully it progresses

also watched the first ep of  Dangan Ronpa. Whimpy/anime version of battle royale

I've smash'd insects more evil!

#2130 thenexus6

thenexus6

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:25 PM

Finished Flowers of Evil. Enjoyed it looking forward to second season.

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

PSN the-nexus6 | Xbox Live Ken the Wizard
https://twitter.com/saunderscowie