The Saboteur (PC) $9.99 @ gamestop.com

deadtrees

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Link

This is YMMV in-store, though I've confirmed that it's $9.99 at one B&M location.

Fair warning: Check the EA forums thoroughly before buying, especially if you have an ATI card. QC for this game was abysmal, and it doesn't look like there will be any more patches from EA.

IMPORTANT: Windows 7, Vista and XP users with ATI 3K, 4K and 5K series graphics cards may temporarily experience compatibility issues. Thank you for you patience while this issue is resolved.

Lol, I can't ever recall any retailer actually listing a warning label to this degree before. Looks like $10 is the new price point, but since I have a 5870 I'll just stay away.

[quote name='hordak']Moral of the story: ALWAYS buy an nVidia! ;)[/QUOTE]
Except when they fall behind a generation and then ask twice the price for marginal performance increase.

My excitement went away when I saw "PC" in the title. Would definitely jump on this if it was for the PS3. Oh well!

I own this game and it runs fine on my 4870.

[quote name='nflsonic']My excitement went away when I saw "PC" in the title. Would definitely jump on this if it was for the PS3. Oh well![/QUOTE]
Humorously enough, I myself am drifting further and further towards near-exclusive PC game playing. (Thanks Valve.) The thought of inFAMOUS 2 (2011!) is the only thing keeping my PS3 in the house. (Till 2011!)

This sounds tempting, but my question is simple: Is the game worth it? (In 2010!)

I've played this game on my 4870 and it ran fine, they've patched the game. I can't guarantee good performance on all models though.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Humorously enough, I myself am drifting further and further towards near-exclusive PC game playing. (Thanks Valve.) The thought of inFAMOUS 2 (2011!) is the only thing keeping my PS3 in the house. (Till 2011!)

This sounds tempting, but my question is simple: Is the game worth it? (In 2010!)[/QUOTE]

Totally. I bought it when it first dropped to $20 and was completely blown away by how underrated the game was. It is an open world game, but instead of making you do boring side missions like bowling and playing darts, your constantly just blowing up Nazi installations and assassinating Nazi leaders. The black and white/color scheme is pretty much beautiful too.

$10 is instabuy for me for this! I just double checked, and this does NOT have activation according to PC Gamer. Just a disc check!

Got it in my cart along with Darksiders...just need to play around with what makes the best deal...

[quote name='GilmooDaddy']Totally. I bought it when it first dropped to $20 and was completely blown away by how underrated the game was. It is an open world game, but instead of making you do boring side missions like bowling and playing darts, your constantly just blowing up Nazi installations and assassinating Nazi leaders. The black and white/color scheme is pretty much beautiful too.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've heard it's better than Mercs 2, and while Mercs 2 gets inexplicably slammed (my only problem was it got too hard) IMO it's 100x the game GTA is. I like this developer's games WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than Rock Star's, which I swear still have broken controls, boring extra junk you're forced to do, and unlikeable scenarios...

Most place the PC version of The Saboteur costs around $10 more, so this is even more awesome :whistle2:D

[quote name='Wolfpup']Yeah, I've heard it's better than Mercs 2, and while Mercs 2 gets inexplicably slammed (my only problem was it got too hard) IMO it's 100x the game GTA is. I like this developer's games WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than Rock Star's, which I swear still have broken controls, boring extra junk you're forced to do, and unlikeable scenarios...[/QUOTE]
I don't like to bash too much, but I agree that RockStar has taken some bad turns with the GTA series. From the masterpiece of GTAIII, they started to lose their way. The clever writing vanished in the most aggressive way, and the focus shifted to easier, dumber missions. (How they came to the "driving-on-ice" physics in GTAIV is a mystery to me.)

This game, though, looks interesting. I may end up giving it a try.

Regarding the driving, the one thing I thought controlled right in earlier GTAs was the cars...and then they broke that too. I don't know, I've got no issue if people like those, but I just don't get them.

My favorite to date was Liberty City Stories on the PSP, partially since they marginally improved the control, and partially since it was just awesome to be playing a full blown open world game on a PORTABLE (still kind of blows my mind...) Still was too clunky though and got gross.

This is a very underrated game and an unfortunate last title from a great developer.

For $10 I'd say this a steal, even with a few of its minor flaws.

[quote name='geohouse']Hopefully 360 and ps3 drop to $10 soon.[/QUOTE]

It's like $12 at TRU (clearance in-store only).

Thanks OP! Will try for deal in store. :whistle2:D

I can't agree with you more dude. ...coming from a guy running a CrossfireX2 4890 H20 cooled and OC'd.

Yeah, I mean I'm very impressed with ATi's tech too, it's good stuff, but I just always have driver issues with SOMETHING, and never have since '98 with Nvidia. For me I'll pick it even if it's at a tech disadvantage, and I mean I honestly don't feel it's a fanboy thing, I just have good luck, and I do honestly get impressed by ATi's hardware too from a tech perspective.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Yeah, I mean I'm very impressed with ATi's tech too, it's good stuff, but I just always have driver issues with SOMETHING, and never have since '98 with Nvidia. For me I'll pick it even if it's at a tech disadvantage, and I mean I honestly don't feel it's a fanboy thing, I just have good luck, and I do honestly get impressed by ATi's hardware too from a tech perspective.[/QUOTE]
I agree. From what I've heard over the years, ATi's usually perform better than nVidia cards. However, there's a lot of little things, like driver issues, that nVidia users don't deal with; The "ATi users may experience issues" phrase has shown up enough times for me that I'm willing to stick with nVidia.

I have no hate for my ATi brothers, for they, too, play games. It's great to be among the sensible-minded here at CAG; I know there are forums where innocent discussion degrades quickly to needless barking.

I've always followed each generation by who can provide the best FPS:$ ratio. Nvidia has fallen behind now, so I'm back to ATI for the first time since the days of the X800 PRO. ATI has the worse drivers, but Nvidia has the worse hardware reliability. Over the past four years, I've had to replace three Nvidia cards but it's not so bad since EVGA is amazing for their lifetime RMA.

It's a toss-up, so don't buy into any BS from people who are exclusive fans.

I've never had *any* graphics hardware fail...actually I take that back, there was a DOA RIVA TNT in a work system that had to be RMAed.

I Fold on mine too...actually a lot of people I know Fold on their GPUs, so if they were going to fail... :whistle2:D

Okay, I take it back a second time, my last Xbox's GPU failed, if you count that :lol:

This game is amazing and it makes me sad that it didn't get better treatment.It seems like while they were finishing the game they also had to pack up their office as they closed up shop :cry: The PS3 version at least in my experience tends to freeze 3-4 times during a play through (random and no its not my ps3). Stuff like that I would of thought would of been caught in the polish phase but they had to rush it out the door so they could finish packing up :bomb:

With all of that said it was still an amazing game and well worth playing. Even the music is great! The "soundtrack" is just a single with the theme music on amazon and itunes but I just had to go out and snatch up some of the single tracks and make my own playlist.

This game is way underrated, once you get past the first few boring missions, the story picks up and is basically GTA in the 40s. I have played
this on the PS3 and a X4 with 8600 sli and runs smooth. When in doubt update drivers and driver sweep. Definite buy for

All these recommendations do make the game horribly tempting for me. Even on Metacritic, the user scores are much higher than the critical ones, which means there must be something to see here.

I'll see if I can grab the game in-store to avoid those damn shipping charges.

If you can get it up to $25 with another game or something the shipping's free (although I doubt I can get to Gamestop for $3 anyway). I got it with Darksiders! (Finally!)

I have an ATI card in my HTPC. But for gaming I use Nvidia cards. Yes, I read the reviews and see that ATI gpus are consistently much better than Nvidia cards in the same price point. But the thing that I find worrisome is that while ATI has roughly 1/3rd of the video card business, the majority of driver complaints involve ATI cards. The fact that you usually see the Nvidia trademark in the beginning of most games tells me that Nvidia is working with game developers. Now this might be pure bribery on Nvidia's part but games do tend to work better with their cards.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Humorously enough, I myself am drifting further and further towards near-exclusive PC game playing. (Thanks Valve.) The thought of inFAMOUS 2 (2011!) is the only thing keeping my PS3 in the house. (Till 2011!)

This sounds tempting, but my question is simple: Is the game worth it? (In 2010!)[/QUOTE]

In the PS3's defense, mine doesn't just gather dust because I watch blu-rays on it. But I agree on Infamous II. I want to play 3D Dot Game Heroes and Infamous II. Those are the only 2 PS3 games that interest me in the next year. I will happily play multiplatform games on my PC or 360 instead.

I started playing the Saboteur recently. For $10 bucks I would say its a recommend. Pretty fun little game at that price. There is enough stuff to blow up in that game it almost feels like Crackdowns orbs.

bread's done
Back