NFL 2010-2011 Season Discussion Thread

JaxMoney

CAGiversary!
nfl_logos.gif

Kick-off is around the corner, any NFL fans here? Let's talk... rumors, off-season, playoffs, Madden, etc. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hehe thanks for pointing that out. Yeah, I came across that too... but I thought we'd start fresh (and stay on topic). :)

The NFL needs to start cleaning up... there's been so many off the field issues this past year, it's not even funny.

[quote name='SLeeK719']I'm curious to hear some superbowl predictions. My bias tells me Ravens vs Cowboys.[/QUOTE]

Interesting prediction... I would contribute, but it's kind of hard to predict. Ravens for the AFC sounds pretty good to me... then again you're from Maryland =P. NFC can be a bit of a toss-up.

I just want the damn season to begin already lol... I hate the wait...

Bumping this up now that the pre-season has started.

As a Pats fan it's an interesting feeling not to have them as the "favorites" for the first time in years. The Jets have assembled a stacked roster and put a lot of pressure on themselves to win, let's see if they can back up all the talk.

as much as id love to say my 49ers will be in the superbowl, my preseason prediction is this...

Super Bowl XLV
Green Bay Packers vs New England Patriots

Super Bowl XLV
Miami Dolphins vs. Dallas Cowboys

I don't give a shit who the NFC representative is, but I've got really high hopes for my Dolphins this year. It's been awhile since we've had a legitimate receiver and just an overall awesome team.

Also, I fucking HATE the Jets, but I'll be damned if Rex Ryan isn't one of the coolest dudes ever. Makes Hard Knocks worth watching this year.

In my eyes, the Dolphins are still the 3rd best team in that division, though there's no doubt they've improved. Really, the AFC East is just stacked. Well, except for the Bills.

There's no way I'd put them behind the aging Pats. Jets have a strong case for being number one, but I think the Dolphins have that number two spot.

The AFC East is a really tough division, but I think the AFC as a whole is stacked when compared to the NFC. The NFC has like two or three teams that are obvious picks to go to the title game whereas the AFC has like seven or eight teams that could easily go all the way.

[quote name='SEH']There's no way I'd put them behind the aging Pats. Jets have a strong case for being number one, but I think the Dolphins have that number two spot.
[/QUOTE]

Well you're a Dolphins fan, so obviously you wouldn't. You'd be very wise not to sleep on the Patriots, who have won the most games in the division (or tied) for 9 consecutive years now. Until they actually take a step back, you can't objectively rank them as third in the division. As long as they have unquestionably the best QB in the division, they're going to be a factor.

[quote name='gregthomas77']Superbowl - Redskins v. Colts[/QUOTE]

thats either a homer pick for the redskins or youre a gambling man.

I'm gonna say Saints vs. Colts. Neither of those teams to me appears to have gotten any worse, so I see no reason not to predict a repeat.

[quote name='bvharris']Well you're a Dolphins fan, so obviously you wouldn't. You'd be very wise not to sleep on the Patriots, who have won the most games in the division (or tied) for 9 consecutive years now. Until they actually take a step back, you can't objectively rank them as third in the division. As long as they have unquestionably the best QB in the division, they're going to be a factor.[/QUOTE]

While true, somebody in that division has to be third. It's going to be a wild ride in the AFC East this year, no doubt about it.

[quote name='bvharris']Well you're a Dolphins fan, so obviously you wouldn't. You'd be very wise not to sleep on the Patriots, who have won the most games in the division (or tied) for 9 consecutive years now. Until they actually take a step back, you can't objectively rank them as third in the division. As long as they have unquestionably the best QB in the division, they're going to be a factor.[/QUOTE]

I'm not a Dolphins fan and I have to say I think they finish better then the Patriots this year. We'll see how the Jets turn out, I still think Sanchez has some growing to do.

[quote name='docvinh']I'm not a Dolphins fan and I have to say I think they finish better then the Patriots this year. We'll see how the Jets turn out, I still think Sanchez has some growing to do.[/QUOTE]

I'm perfectly content with everyone sleeping on the Patriots. That mistake has been made before.

Niners 2009 3rd round pick Glen Coffee retired on Friday.

Niners 2008 1st round pick Kentwan Balmer looks like he is about to get cut (multiple unexcused absences).

Balmer is a bust in the 3-4 system but Coffee was supposed to take a bigger roll in the running game and take over once Gore was done. Niners got a RB in the 6th this year, Anthony Dixon, so now he has to speed up his learning of the game, specifically the pass blocking.

Also both linemen picked in this years 1st round draft have already been named starters.

Looking forward to seeing how they play in tomorrow's preseason game against the Colts.

The Packers and Browns had a good first half on offense, minus Ryan Grant's fumble in their first drive. Colt McCoy's taken over at QB, so it'll probably slow down a bit for them.

[quote name='DT778']Niners 2009 3rd round pick Glen Coffee retired on Friday.
[/QUOTE]

That sucks. I remember having him for a few weeks in a fantasy league last year and unless my memory sucks, he was pretty decent.

Yeah, Dawson's 59 yard kick to tie it was pretty impressive. Sucks to see the Packers lose on 2 field goals in the last minute and a half.

The offense looked really good. Aaron Rodgers was nearly perfect. Ryan Grant should be okay after his injury. The special teams looked like shit, though.

Regardless, it's great to see my team back in action.

The Pats were looking great in their game against the Saints, nice plays from the young guys on the team. But then the shit hit the fan when they lost Ty Warren for the entire season, may lose kaczur, and have Mankins sitting at home.

Yet another loss for the Pats, Torry Holt on season-ending injured reserve Sunday, and he will have knee surgery this week, agent Kennard McGuire told ESPN.com.

[quote name='J7.']Yet another loss for the Pats, Torry Holt on season-ending injured reserve Sunday, and he will have knee surgery this week, agent Kennard McGuire told ESPN.com.[/QUOTE]

My read was that Holt wasn't likely to make the team anyway.

Any picks for the AFC North title? It may be more evenly stacked than the AFC East this year (minus the Browns). I think the Steelers, Ravens, and Bengals could all win it. I'm rooting for my Steelers, but I think this will be an exciting AFC North season either way.

Super Bowl prediction: Packers v. Jets (I wanna put Steelers :))

Wha, an NFL thread!! Sight for sore eyes. :applause:

SAN DIEGO........CHARGERS!!!!!!!!!!

This is our year.........ok, ive been saying that for the past 5 years.:cry: The regular season isn't the problem....it's just that we keep laying huge eggs in the playoffs. ARGH!!!

But the team sounds rejuvenated and ready to go. Stay healthy and we should be on top of the AFC west once again.

I just need some sport that is not baseball in my life, cant fucken wait for football. :bomb:

[quote name='rusty']Any picks for the AFC North title? It may be more evenly stacked than the AFC East this year (minus the Browns). I think the Steelers, Ravens, and Bengals could all win it. I'm rooting for my Steelers, but I think this will be an exciting AFC North season either way.

Super Bowl prediction: Packers v. Jets (I wanna put Steelers :))[/QUOTE]

Ravens
Bengals
Steelers
Browns

The middle two could be interchangeable, but being without their QB for a long stretch could put the Steelers in a hole. I'd never count them out though.

[quote name='bvharris']I would imagine that's not too rare an occurrence in Southern California, no?[/QUOTE]

It is not that rare, but the default is still mainly to be a RAIDERS fan....but I WHOLE HEARTEDLY HATE THE fuckEN RAIDERS.

Seriously, when i was about 13 years old my cousin took me to some Raider games at the L.A Coliseum when they where still in L.A.

It was the most "Ghetto'est" experience of my life. Fights everywhere. Raider fans vandalizing, starting small fires, trying to steal stadium speakers. W.T.F.

Once they left, with never really adopting a NFL team of my own to begin with, i followed the 49ers and Chargers. Saw the Steve Young era go against the cowboys and packers, cheered for another Cali team to win. Sadly the 49ers have now been dormant for like the past decade.

Now Chargers have been making noise, once again another Cali team that i root for.

Bandwagon fan you say? No. My allegiance will always be to the City of Los Angeles. (born and raised). Until we have our own Football team, i am not 100% devoted to any NFL franchise.

As long as that L.A team is not the Raiders again, LMAO.:twoguns:

[quote name='Viol8tor']It is not that rare, but the default is still mainly to be a RAIDERS fan....but I WHOLE HEARTEDLY HATE THE fuckEN RAIDERS.

Seriously, when i was about 13 years old my cousin took me to some Raider games at the L.A Coliseum when they where still in L.A.

It was the most "Ghetto'est" experience of my life. Fights everywhere. Raider fans vandalizing, starting small fires, trying to steal stadium speakers. W.T.F.

Once they left, with never really adopting a NFL team of my own to begin with, i followed the 49ers and Chargers. Saw the Steve Young era go against the cowboys and packers, cheered for another Cali team to win. Sadly the 49ers have now been dormant for like the past decade.

Now Chargers have been making noise, once again another Cali team that i root for.

Bandwagon fan you say? No. My allegiance will always be to the City of Los Angeles. (born and raised). Until we have our own Football team, i am not 100% devoted to any NFL franchise.

As long as that L.A team is not the Raiders again, LMAO.:twoguns:[/QUOTE]

You and me both buddy, I'm glad I created this thread. GO BOLTS! Preaseason game #1 was awesome... Ryan Mathews #24 FTW! Let's it get this thing going baby!

And yes, I hate the Raiders. :bomb:

Eli Manning got messed up!

[quote name='bvharris']My read was that Holt wasn't likely to make the team anyway.[/QUOTE]

Maybe not. I still wish he could contribute to the team. They love his presence.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']looks like the 49ers signed brian westbrook. 1 year deal. most likely in response to coffee retiring. should be decent if he can stay healthy, i wouldnt worry about him starting over gore, but it does raise concerns for gores fantasy value. maybe we will see more 2 back sets in the 49ers backfield.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5468991[/QUOTE]

They want to keep Gore healthy and fresh. Makes sense, why tire one of the Top 5 RB's in the league?

Nonetheless, we aren't going anywhere with Smith as QB.

Denver did as well as I could've expected, which was to see the starters do well while the backups flounder since there is very little quality depth on the team. I hope the injuries are few and far between without anything severe or else they'll fall fast.

It sucks that Dave Zastudil is out for the season, as Reggie Hodges now has the punter job for the Browns and he's not that good.

[quote name='ph33r m3']They want to keep Gore healthy and fresh. Makes sense, why tire one of the Top 5 RB's in the league?

Nonetheless, we aren't going anywhere with Smith as QB.[/QUOTE]

I been saying this since year one of the Smith era.

[quote name='ph33r m3']They want to keep Gore healthy and fresh. Makes sense, why tire one of the Top 5 RB's in the league?

Nonetheless, we aren't going anywhere with Smith as QB.[/QUOTE]

A couple things to remember: Gore's usage was expected to drop this season - obvious reason is his injuries the past two years portend a bleak future if it continues - with Dixon getting opportunities (thought to take some playtime from Coffee anyway) and even more goalline love to Vernon. Picking up Westbrook makes a lot sense if Gore gets hurt again, this year, and misses 3 to 4 games. Westbrook still has it if he's healthy - something he's been only a few games the past two years.

Also, what makes you think Smith is starting QB? They didn't sign Carr to be a back-up and if he outplays Smith like he did during the Colts game, Smith is back on that bench.

Just like Westbrook, Carr was signed as a backup and would not compete for the starting job. Of course if shit happens he can become the started down the road but right now there is no battle for the starting QB position.

Smith might take us to the playoffs but no way we win a championship with him.

And while we are on Niner's QBs, OC Jimmy Raye said that he wants to put in Nate Davis earlier in the next two games to get a better feel of what he has to offer.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back