• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#61 GlassAgate

GlassAgate

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:38 AM

Reading comprehension for the loss. :roll:

I was just trying to have some fun, which I guess didn't work.
I wasn't trying to be mean to the person.

NeoGutsman, I'm sorry for being an ass.

#62 NeoGutsman

NeoGutsman

CAG Backlogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:53 AM

^ Thank you, and no worries. ;)

#63 seether254

seether254

For the Hive

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:09 AM

you could all just treat yourselves and buy the collectors edition of Starcraft 2 which comes with starcraft and starcraft: brood war pre-loaded on the "Jim Raynor" dogtag usb drive!

#64 bigwightdog

bigwightdog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:00 PM

you could all just treat yourselves and buy the collectors edition of Starcraft 2 which comes with starcraft and starcraft: brood war pre-loaded on the "Jim Raynor" dogtag usb drive!

That would be awesome, but I'm low on $s right now...and that doesn't qualify on cheap.

#65 Temidien

Temidien

CAG Lantern Corp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:14 PM

Went crazy searching the house this weekend for my old SC battlechest and couldn't find it. Glad I didn't impulsively pick it up at BB for $20 yesterday as I'll just be picking it up on Prime now.

In short, thanks OP :D

For those considering not picking up the battlechest, it comes with two *excellent* player guides for the campaigns that are worth owning if you get in a tricky spot. Even in the days of online guides, nothing beats having one of these handy for quickly looking something up or for when your internet is down.

Posted Image

#66 fatez

fatez

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:41 PM

is there anyway to change the resolution for starcraft?

#67 bigwoof

bigwoof

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:01 PM

no. there is a "hack" that can change the resolution but you cannot be logged into battle net or you will get banned

#68 GlassAgate

GlassAgate

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:58 PM

Those were the days when RTS had a fixed resolution.

#69 TurboPascal

TurboPascal

No Guts No Glory!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:38 AM

For those with Vista 32 and who have color issue with Starcraft boots

Try the following

Open up Windows Explorer

navigate to the folder where starcraft is installed

Double click directly on the exe and do not use the shortcut

For whatever wierd reason, this works for me

#70 V4Oldboy

V4Oldboy

Vengeance 4 Oldboy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:44 AM

picked this up along with a new mousepad. They threw it in my goldbox so I had to get it.

I saw this yesterday and couldn't find my old starcraft case or the piece of paper I had all my old cd keys on. Counter-strike, Diablo 2, all the hits. I did find my warcraft 3 key.

"You WROTE it, you can't UN-WRITE it!" - Maurice LaMarche

[if you need help funding a PSN gameshare (US) I'm happy to help out fellow CAGs (PM me) as long as you are patient.]

#71 Temidien

Temidien

CAG Lantern Corp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:15 PM

For anyone having color issues playing Starcraft on Windows 7, I tested this (very) easy fix and it definitely works: http://gaming.icront...ree-easy-steps/

Posted Image

#72 z3razerviper

z3razerviper

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:34 PM

Temidien that does not work on x64 win 7 try this method. Note I created an x64 reg script at the begining . for x32 you will have to follow the instructons and modify it. Also note the process has to be done for every new patch it seems.

Current starcraft

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\StarCraft]
"Flags"=hex:00,08,00,00
"Name"="Starcraft.exe"
"ID"=hex:ca,89,65,49

Instructions below for C&C modify as needed.

Color fix for C&C95 on Windows 7

This is an actual fix for the color issue, rather than the workarounds we've been forced to deal with so far. It's based on an identical fix for StarCraft by warlord_7. You need to be using Nyerguds's 1.06b r2 patch for this, if you're not, you'll need to update the ID field on your own. Open Notepad and paste whichever one of these corresponds to the version of Windows 7 you're running:

32-bit:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\Command & Conquer Gold 1.06b r2]
"Name"="C&C95.exe"
"ID"=hex:d5,83,dd,32

64-bit:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\Command & Conquer Gold 1.06b r2]
"Name"="C&C95.exe"
"ID"=hex:d5,83,dd,32

File -> Save, choose All Files from the save as type pulldown menu, and save it with the extension .reg. Double click on it, confirm that you want to add the key, and give C&C a try. The Westwood intro video may still have the wrong colors (this seems random, sometimes it's fine, usually it's not), but the game and the rest of the videos will be fine. If you have your wallpaper set to slideshow, you'll still get messed up colors when your wallpaper changes. This will last until the end of any video that was playing, but will only cause a brief flicker in the actual game.

If you need to update the ID for whatever reason (new version of the C&C95 patch, fix for Red Alert or another game), run the game and then check this registry key:

32-bit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw\MostRecentApplication

64-bit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw\MostRecentApplication

The ID in that key is four bytes. Reverse their order, and place them between commas like in the keys above. 32dd83d5 becomes d5,83,dd,32. Use that in place of the ID in the keys I posted, change the filename to the correct one for whatever game you are trying to run, and give the key a unique name.

(And for the record, no, I have no idea what that flag actually does or what others are available. I only got it from the StarCraft fix, which itself seems to have been based on existing SC fixes already in the registry. I've searched, but I can't find any information on these flags.) This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 3/24/10 10:23:44 AM

#73 hustletron

hustletron

the struggle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:03 PM

I'm so pissed I can't find my starcraft 1 CD.

EDIT: Just broke down and bought the anthology for 8 bucks on Amazon, uhhhhgggggg Prime shipping you make everything so tempting, I guess it's better than buying a $100 CE when I spent $8 then $60 for SC2.

Edited by hustletron, 28 July 2010 - 06:48 PM.

#74 Jaysonguy

Jaysonguy

Mr. Wonderful

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:21 AM

ok, this is confusing

If I grab Starcraft will I be able to play it on a Windows 7 system without doing registry edits and all that?

#75 agentghost

agentghost

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:32 AM

ok, this is confusing

If I grab Starcraft will I be able to play it on a Windows 7 system without doing registry edits and all that?

from reading the thread.. NO. but I wish there is a noobie patch/program that let u do that though. I don't play online anyway

#76 TurboPascal

TurboPascal

No Guts No Glory!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:48 AM

ok, this is confusing

The answer is ... it depends (I have one system where it runs and another where I needed the above posted registry entry). You need to try and find out. however, as you can see from the above posts, the edits are very minor.

#77 NeoGutsman

NeoGutsman

CAG Backlogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:34 AM

Thanks, OP! I registered my copies of Diablo II and Diablo II Lord of Destruction just fine. Can't wait to download and install them on my new laptop (whenever the frakk it's supposed to arrive; it's somehow stuck at a UPS New Jersey facility due to "adverse weather" :P)

#78 DJ_Tet

DJ_Tet

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:14 AM

Just for the record I grabbed the Starcrat Battlechest from this thread and run it just fine on Win 7 64 bit. I have to run it as an admin but it works. Radeon 4850 HD card here.

#79 z3razerviper

z3razerviper

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:12 AM

I run nvidia cards and have had to do reg edits. Maybe ATI handles the old direct draw games better.

#80 Brenex

Brenex

Cobra Commander

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:12 AM

I installed Starcraft+Broodwar from bnet and have no problems playing it in Windows 7 x64 using the following launcher:

taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
"C:\Program Files (x86)\StarCraft\Starcraft.exe"
start explorer.exe

put that in a txt file and change the extension to .bat (for example mine i windows7.bat.) What it does is close explorer while starcraft is running and then restarts it when starcraft closes. No color issues and battlenet works through it. I tried the other things suggested like going in to properties and changing compatibility, resolution, color depth and none of that worked consistently. This works every time.

#81 z3razerviper

z3razerviper

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:15 AM

The reg edit makes it so you dont have to kill explorer. Personally I dont like killing explorer unless I absolutely have to.

#82 Brenex

Brenex

Cobra Commander

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:42 AM

Editing the registry and/or having to install extra patches can have the potential to be much more harmful than killing explorer. Personally, I don't like having to edit the registry unless I have to. Found this to be the easiest solution, thought I'd share it.

#83 clockworkgreen

clockworkgreen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:35 PM

I know this is beating a dead horse a bit.....

I have Windows 7 Pro, build 7600, 32-bit, and I just downloaded the SC installer from Battle.net. Fired up the game for the first time and didn't do any editing/hacking/registry fixes, etc. Seemed to load fine and saw no color issues.

Are the issues going to pop up immediately or where would I start actually running into trouble if I don't see them in the first 5 minutes?

#84 z3razerviper

z3razerviper

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:48 PM

Color problem would pop up right when you launch the game.

#85 MrDarkstorm

MrDarkstorm

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:18 PM

That was not necessary true for me. I have had times where color issues come and go. Freezing after a 1-2 hours though was a given.

#86 hustletron

hustletron

the struggle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:04 PM

I installed Starcraft+Broodwar from bnet and have no problems playing it in Windows 7 x64 using the following launcher:

taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
"C:\Program Files (x86)\StarCraft\Starcraft.exe"
start explorer.exe

put that in a txt file and change the extension to .bat (for example mine i windows7.bat.) What it does is close explorer while starcraft is running and then restarts it when starcraft closes. No color issues and battlenet works through it. I tried the other things suggested like going in to properties and changing compatibility, resolution, color depth and none of that worked consistently. This works every time.

Batch files FTW :applause:

#87 GlassAgate

GlassAgate

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:38 AM

Okay, I've been playing Starcraft for the last couple of weeks. Win 7, 32 bit, on a 32
bit processor, and the only compatibility setting that I set was "Run in 256 Colors".
I am not running in any sort of compatibility mode. I have not tinkered with the registry.

Note: the "Run in 256 Colors" also works with "Warcraft 2 Battle.net Edition".

#88 GlassAgate

GlassAgate

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:17 PM

Kind of old, but does anyone know if entering in the
key from Warcraft III will activate the game, like
with Starcraft I?

#89 Capaneus

Capaneus

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:21 PM

Yup, works the same way as SC. Redeem it on Battle.net with the CD key, and download the latest version that way.
sml_gallery_46393_8193_8746.png

#90 mtincher

mtincher

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:49 PM

This thread got me hoping I could pick up Starcraft Battlechest for $10. Disappointed this is 9 months old.