Amazon Gaming Credit Question

agreenlife3

CAG Veteran
Hi, I had $10 video game credit on Amazon and I preordered Halo: Reach with this, making Reach $50 and free Super Saver shipping. I have another account with a free trial of Prime going (I already used the free trial on my main account). I was wondering if there was any way to transfer that video game credit over to my second account with Prime (so I can get free release day delivery). Or maybe to start another free trial somehow on my main account. Also: if I cancel my preorder will my GC be refunded to me?

No, then yes.

Credits are tied to one account and not transferable.

Canceling the preorder should return the credit to the account.

No you won't get the credit back. Trust me, I know from experience. They liken the credit to a coupon - if you return the item, you don't generally get the coupon back. I have been able to get them to give me the credit back but only because they have good customer service. You'll have to contact them directly for it. Again, I'm speaking from experience.

You will get the credit back, as long as the credit would still be valid in the timeframe you're doing from the return.

If the $10 credit you used would still be valid today and you did the return today, the $10 would go back into your account. If the $10 credit wouldn't be valid today and you did the return today, then you wouldn't get it back.

I also speak from experience on that one.

[quote name='shrike4242']You will get the credit back, as long as the credit would still be valid in the timeframe you're doing from the return.

If the $10 credit you used would still be valid today and you did the return today, the $10 would go back into your account. If the $10 credit wouldn't be valid today and you did the return today, then you wouldn't get it back.

I also speak from experience on that one.[/QUOTE]
I think it depends on where the credit comes from. If it's a promotional credit, you won't get it back. Here's the text of the email they sent to me when I had a return on an item that I used my promotional credit on:
[quote name='Amazon CR email to torifile']
I've checked your account and see that we received your return and refunded the amount originally charged to your credit card, $xx.xx.

Any promotional funds used toward your purchase are not refunded. Promotional funds work much like coupons in a physical store--if you return the item, you're refunded for the amount you paid out of pocket, and not for the amount of the coupon.

I'm sorry for any misunderstanding. I've included some additional information below in case it's helpful.

Regarding the order #[order number] :

I checked the item "Mass Effect 2", and see that this item doesn't have any promotional offers listed on our website. So, we couldn't honor you the promotion.

Restrictions for promotional offers vary, but the details for specific promotions are available on our website.

I hope you'll be able to take advantage of future promotions. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
[/quote]
Where was the credit from/how did you get it? In my case, it was a promotional credit for pre-ordering MW2 that I used on another game. I returned the game but didn't automatically get the promo credit back. I had to email them specifically about it.

On a pre-order, the promo credit will be reapplied to your account IF it would not yet have expired. If the promo credit would have expired already, you will lose it if you cancel the pre-order. As for non-preorders, once the item ships out, you will not get the credit back if you return the item for a refund.

[quote name='torifile']I think it depends on where the credit comes from. If it's a promotional credit, you won't get it back. Here's the text of the email they sent to me when I had a return on an item that I used my promotional credit on:

Where was the credit from/how did you get it? In my case, it was a promotional credit for pre-ordering MW2 that I used on another game. I returned the game but didn't automatically get the promo credit back. I had to email them specifically about it.[/QUOTE]The times it's gone back into my account, it was the same type of credit, a promotional video game credit for the purchase of a video game-related item.

I've canceled / changed multiple orders made with them and as long as the credit would still be valid at the time the change / cancellation happens, the credit went back into my account and was usable on another purchase.

Tell them you are considering to stop buying from there and that you demand that credit back. (Of course, tell them politely. How you are a good customer, etc etc.)

It has worked for me many times :) Customer Service sometimes needs a little... "push."

This is also how I would always get the $5 mp3 credit they have sometimes. I wouldn't even use the credit, I would just tell them to refund those $5 back to my credit card. At most it took me 3 e-mails. So in a way, the game comes out to be $5 cheaper.

[quote name='torifile']I think it depends on where the credit comes from. If it's a promotional credit, you won't get it back. Here's the text of the email they sent to me when I had a return on an item that I used my promotional credit on:

Where was the credit from/how did you get it? In my case, it was a promotional credit for pre-ordering MW2 that I used on another game. I returned the game but didn't automatically get the promo credit back. I had to email them specifically about it.[/QUOTE]
So you can CANCEL and still get your Promotional Credit back.

But if you RETURN the item, bye-bye Promotional Credit?

:cold:

bread's done
Back