Dead Rising 2 Collector's Edition revealed (Steelbook, Art Book, and more) - $79.99

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Capcom releeased officaily details about Dead Rising 2's Collector's Edition. It comes with a steelbook, an art book, and a few other things listed below for $79.99. The 360 version gets an exclusive 84 minute movie called “Zombrex Dead Rising Sun”

Pre-order shipping September 28th:

PS3 Version
360 Version

2fa209a7d73a692189f8879c38cfbc12.jpg

Available for both the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360, there are some variations between the two editions. For the full list of content, see below:

PS3 Dead Rising 2 – Zombrex Edition
- Exclusive Two-Disc Steelbook case includes:
- Dead Rising 2 game disc
- Blu-Ray Disc featuring a High-Definition 24 minute “Making of” featurette
- Complete box contents include:
- Steelbook case (described above)
- Zombrex “Syringe” pen
- Zombrex “Prescription” notepad (25 pages)
- Zombrex “Safety” card
- Zombrex “Prospectus” Sales Brochure (16 pages).
- Dead Rising 2 Hardback Artbook (48 pages)
- Voucher for XMB Dynamic Theme

X360 Dead Rising 2 – Zombrex Edition
- Exclusive Two-Disc Steelbook case includes:
- Dead Rising 2 game disc
- High-Definition game disc with 83 Minute “Zombrex Dead Rising Sun” motion picture and 24 minute “Making of” featurette
- Complete box contents include:
- Steelbook case (described above)
- Zombrex “Syringe” pen
- Zombrex “Prescription” notepad (25 pages)
- Zombrex “Safety” card
- Zombrex “Prospectus” Sales Brochure (16 pages).
- Dead Rising 2 Hardback Artbook (48 pages)

It doesn't seem that bad for an extra $20 over retail, particularly the 360 version which comes with the movie. I'm a steelbook collector of sorts too so that's always a nice plus.

I'll stick with regular version, that steelbook case doesnt look good :(

Also whats up with Europe always getting collectors editions(better ones!) now? Woulda loved to had the Bayonetta one!

Damnit, they break out the one thing that always gets me to pony up for a CE, a steelbook. :bomb:

I hope it's not another case of the "faux" steelbook like EA did with Dragon Age Origins.

[quote name='shrike4242']

I hope it's not another case of the "faux" steelbook like EA did with Dragon Age Origins.[/QUOTE]

The spine looks right.

pre-ordered

loving this edition, don't care for the figure one, ill snag the figure on ebay down the road.

Judging from the SFIV CE and RE5 CE runs, Capcom would probably print a shitload of this CE again. More than enough for us to find it dirt cheap a year later.

I was at Gamestop a few days ago, and they were permitted to take pre-orders for the CE. I was confused, because only a couple days before Joystiq had an article about how the U.S. WOULDN'T be receiving a C.E., showing the UK version in the picture. So I put in a pre-order for giggles to see what would come of it. Personally, I think this is an improvement over the UK version with a figure I'll stand up somewhere and forget about.

looks cool, but will wait to see if this game is basically co-op only like they did with lost planet 2, or if it can actually be played single player

I've got a drawer full of pens that look similar to these. The pharmaceutical reps pass these out at work like halloween candy.

[quote name='eau']Judging from the SFIV CE and RE5 CE runs, Capcom would probably print a shitload of this CE again. More than enough for us to find it dirt cheap a year later.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say the SF IV CE had a large print run. I remember specifically the PS3 version becoming VERY hard to find within the first week or so. The only one I saw on shelves after the first couple of weeks was the 360 version as people wanted the Blu-Ray movie that came on PS3.

Have to wonder if the 360 CE of DR 2 will be the same thing as I would think they would sell more copies of it since the first one was 360 exclusive and it has the feature-length movie while the PS3 version does not.

[quote name='MSUHitman']I wouldn't say the SF IV CE had a large print run. I remember specifically the PS3 version becoming VERY hard to find within the first week or so. The only one I saw on shelves after the first couple of weeks was the 360 version as people wanted the Blu-Ray movie that came on PS3.

Have to wonder if the 360 CE of DR 2 will be the same thing as I would think they would sell more copies of it since the first one was 360 exclusive and it has the feature-length movie while the PS3 version does not.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure I read that the PS3 version has the movie too ... I kinda doubt they used a Blu-ray disc for a 20 minute HD making of video and nothing else. I could be wrong, but I think the articles on either Kotaku or Joystiq were sort of poorly worded about the PS3 bluray but someone in the comments section clarified that they would both have the feature film on the special 3rd disc.

Edit: Actually, I take that back ... it appears the 360 does exclusively get the "movie" which appears to be similar to what MS did for Alan Wake prior to its release. Anyone expecting an actually fully developed film though will probably be disappointed. Here's just a taste -

zombrex2009-10-27.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When I read about this an hour ago I was thinking the same thing etcrane was... it seems strange that Capcom would devote an entire blu-ray just for a 24 minute documentary, I'm thinking there was a screw-up in the press release.

I also think it'll be cheaper down the line.

I think that pen is pretty awesome. I learned to stay away from collectors editions though. This one is going to drop faster than the bioshock 2 one.

[quote name='animalspinners']Pass... I was really hoping we would have got the UK version -
That figure is seriously bad ass, and a lot better than some stupid pen imo.[/QUOTE]

Hell yea .. dude, I mean Capcom .. WTF?!

in for 1. Love Dead Rising. The steelbook is pretty clever, looking like a pill case. The movie also intrigues me too... Look at Dead Space movie. It was pretty effin awesome. I bought that on blu ray. I won't get my hopes up, but I think there's some chance it could at least be decent.

[quote name='etcrane']OMG ... syringe pen is soooo amazing and unique ... sure to be worth millions ... oh ... wait ...
[/QUOTE]

Just to let you know (and to refute your statement to a certain degree), I got a couple of the Zombrex syringe pens at GDC (the exact ones from this CE) and I was able to sell all three for $120 each. So as stupid as this may sound to you, some people actually think that pen is pretty cool. I also got those posters and bandaids as well and sold them for a pretty penny ($80 and $30, respectively). Zombrex stuff single handedly paid for my trip to the conference.

I for one, don't need a bunch of stupid action figures from CEs. I like my pack-ins to be a bit classier, so I prefer the US CE over the PAL one. This thread is actually reminding me a lot of the Bioshock 2 CE thread where people bitched about not having an action figure.

[quote name='Doomstink']Just to let you know (and to refute your statement to a certain degree), I got a couple of the Zombrex syringe pens at GDC (the exact ones from this CE) and I was able to sell all three for $120 each. So as stupid as this may sound to you, some people actually think that pen is pretty cool. I also got those posters and bandaids as well and sold them for a pretty penny ($80 and $30, respectively). Zombrex stuff single handedly paid for my trip to the conference.

I for one, don't need a bunch of stupid action figures from CEs. I like my pack-ins to be a bit classier, so I prefer the US CE over the PAL one. This thread is actually reminding me a lot of the Bioshock 2 CE thread where people bitched about not having an action figure.[/QUOTE]

So your point is that a small percentage of uneducated people will pay lots of money for overpriced crap? I don't really think that's anything new. Not to mention, the value you found in those items came purely from lack of availability, not actual value ... so when this CE is released those pens that you may have sold for $120 each when they were impossible to find will be worth far less, and in the real world are about as valuable as a $1.25 pen from Office Depot because it's the same type of pen.

At least the zombie figure in the EU edition is somewhat rare and has a higher real world value in its production than the pen, bandaid and pad of paper included with this set. This particular set isn't classy ... it's cheap. The bioshock 2 CE at least had some items that were indeed classy, but a full artbook and record are quite different than a pen, mini artbook and a few other items, just my opinion.

[quote name='etcrane']So your point is that a small percentage of uneducated people will pay lots of money for overpriced crap? I don't really think that's anything new. Not to mention, the value you found in those items came purely from lack of availability, not actual value ... so when this CE is released those pens that you may have sold for $120 each when they were impossible to find will be worth far less, and in the real world are about as valuable as a $1.25 pen from Office Depot because it's the same type of pen.
[/QUOTE]

I understand that the value came from it being unavailable anywhere else, but the point was that the pen isn't as stupid to some people as it may be to you. I guess "classy" wasn't really the best way to describe this particular CE, I like how it "fits" with the game, I guess, just like the vinyl fit with Bioshock 2. The CE is cohesive with the games design and I like that. In my opinion it is better than the standard edition game, a cardboard box, and some ugly bloody zombie figure.

I'm really looking forward to Dead Rising 2, but I think I'll be passing on the collectors edition.

Ps. Does anyone know if they changed the controller layout for DR2? I hated the controller layout for the first game.

[quote name='Doomstink']I understand that the value came from it being unavailable anywhere else, but the point was that the pen isn't as stupid to some people as it may be to you. I guess "classy" wasn't really the best way to describe this particular CE, I like how it "fits" with the game, I guess, just like the vinyl fit with Bioshock 2. The CE is cohesive with the games design and I like that. In my opinion it is better than the standard edition game, a cardboard box, and some ugly bloody zombie figure.[/QUOTE]

But, having seen the pen up close, it is exactly the same level of quality as those that are mass produced as novelty item, correct? My point is simply that it doesn't have the same level of uniqueness or value. Now if it were something like the Bioshock 2 syringe pen ... now that would be something to get excited about, for me at least.

pen.jpg

[quote name='animalspinners']Pass... I was really hoping we would have got the UK version -

OutbreakEdition_%282%29_720x673.jpg

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/...reak-Edition--Rises-from-a-Plastic-Grave.html

That figure is seriously bad ass, and a lot better than some stupid pen imo.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like Capcom must have known that Americans would rather have a fake drug pen & steelbook over an action figure of Jim Sterling wearing clown shoes during his weekly visit to McDonald's to order his usual "burger with 100 packets of ketchup".

[quote name='mivan83']looks cool, but will wait to see if this game is basically co-op only like they did with lost planet 2, or if it can actually be played single player[/QUOTE]

The games main story mode can be played in Single player or Co-op. There can only be 2 players at a time unlike LP2 where there were 4. And the only Playable character is Chuck Greene. The story progression will follow the Host player, but all of your current progress in your single player will carry over to the host game. So, if you have a Chainsaw-flamethrower-shovel in your single player, you can carry that into the game with the host. Also, anything you earn in the host game you can take back with you in your single player. So, if the host has a weapon you don't have- he can drop it and you can take it with you out of the game back to your single player. The Co-Op is just an add-on and NOT a near necessity like in Lost Planet 2.

[quote name='Kerig']Sounds like Capcom must have known that Americans would rather have a fake drug pen & steelbook over an action figure of Jim Sterling wearing clown shoes during his weekly visit to McDonald's to order his usual "burger with 100 packets of ketchup".[/QUOTE]

I don't know, personally I found it somewhat appealing due to the whole Weekend At Bernies type vibe I was getting from it ;)

[quote name='etcrane']I'm pretty sure I read that the PS3 version has the movie too ... I kinda doubt they used a Blu-ray disc for a 20 minute HD making of video and nothing else. I could be wrong, but I think the articles on either Kotaku or Joystiq were sort of poorly worded about the PS3 bluray but someone in the comments section clarified that they would both have the feature film on the special 3rd disc.

Edit: Actually, I take that back ... it appears the 360 does exclusively get the "movie" which appears to be similar to what MS did for Alan Wake prior to its release. Anyone expecting an actually fully developed film though will probably be disappointed. Here's just a taste -

zombrex2009-10-27.jpg
[/QUOTE]

The zombies look like nerds. And, I need a syringe pen!

[quote name='thegreek']The zombies look like nerds. And, I need a syringe pen![/QUOTE]

Speaking of which, can anyone name a really good Japanese zombie movie, because I don't think it's a genre that Japan has really mastered. And I don't really consider Versus a zombie movie, even though it had zombies in it ... but yeah, I dunno, it's a big leap of faith to think this new MS backed movie is going to break the mold when it comes to Japanese zombie movies ...

I want this game and am a sucker for CEs but this one isn't doing anything for me. I will pass on this CE.

[quote name='etcrane']Speaking of which, can anyone name a really good Japanese zombie movie, because I don't think it's a genre that Japan has really mastered. And I don't really consider Versus a zombie movie, even though it had zombies in it ... but yeah, I dunno, it's a big leap of faith to think this new MS backed movie is going to break the mold when it comes to Japanese zombie movies ...[/QUOTE]

I don't think I liked any japanese zombie movies. But I did watch some zombie anime that was really nice. It's called high school of the dead and theres only 2 episodes out. Check it out if your into anime.

I'll take a pass on this one as well. If it also had an exclusive costume/skill set like the other CE has, then maybe. But nothing I can actually make use of IRL and In-game, no thanks.

Now to only find out what's in that elusive Dead Rising 2 Collector's Edition Guide...still says TBD everywhere I look. :(

Ugh, not even close to getting my cash. The game YES, but not this pathetic attempt at another $20, they should be ashamed of this after seeing the U.K edition.

I'll be sticking with my pre-order of the reg. edition, thanks. $20 for a pen & artbook = not a good deal. Aren't the other "artbook" LE games only $10 more than the reg. edition? Maybe I'll pick up the LE when it is $30 or something.

Is anyone else confused by the wordage?

XBox has, in my opinoin, the better package with a 84 minute video and 24 minute video (I like making of videos)... But it's "High-Definition game disc" Versus "Blu-Ray", does that mean HD-DVD, or just On the disc itself (only playable on xboxes)

/confused.

[quote name='viisual']Is anyone else confused by the wordage?

XBox has, in my opinoin, the better package with a 84 minute video and 24 minute video (I like making of videos)... But it's "High-Definition game disc" Versus "Blu-Ray", does that mean HD-DVD, or just On the disc itself (only playable on xboxes)

/confused.[/QUOTE]

Definitely means it will most likely be a 720p digital video on the 360 DVD disc, not an HD-DVD. Sony's disc will most likely also be 720 p, even though it's on a Bluray and could be 1080p.

Remember that Sony likes to throw out the Blu-ray aspect of their extras, where as MS doesn't have any true Hi-Def disc based format at the moment, so they have to remind you it will be high definition on a game disc which sounds like it may end up being a 720 p digital video that plays off a 360 disc, not a DVD per se that would be playable in any DVD player.

bread's done
Back