Amazon: Far Cry 2 $17.76 (360)

[quote name='Dissolve']I love this game.[/QUOTE]

I had mistaken this game for Just Cause 2. Have you played both? If so which is better?

FC2 isn't bad, but I definitely can't recommend it at that price. It's kinda niche-worthy, as several of the elements were poorly thought up or executed and you must have patience to actually enjoy the game.

I ended up trading my copy to Amazon for $9ish because they still never fixed the multiplayer level/experience system. Basically every other level or so me or my friend would lose one or two levels for no apparent reason. Apparently its a glitch thats been going on since the game was released and they never fixed it. I would probably give Farcry 3 a try if they fixed it because the MP was unique and fun in It's own way.

[quote name='Rhett']FC2 isn't bad, but I definitely can't recommend it at that price. It's kinda niche-worthy, as several of the elements were poorly thought up or executed and you must have patience to actually enjoy the game.[/QUOTE]

What's a good price for the game, because this is the cheapest i've found?

[quote name='jewsdidwtc']This will be the worst $17.76 you've ever spent. Fair warning.[/QUOTE]

OK thanks i'll try and cancel my order then. :bouncy:

I got it for free from a GS glitch, and the game has its moments. The environment is cool, the atmosphere is great, the buddy system is cool (save for the favors you do for them), and the gunplay is solid. However, the stealth is non-existent, traveling to your next location just sucks ass, it gives the illusion of choice when there is absolutely none, and the missions were predictable as all get-out. If you want an open-world FPS, give this one a shot, but remember it is not perfect. If traveling great distances to your next objective is a game-killer for you, then pass.

[quote name='jewsdidwtc']This will be the worst $17.76 you've ever spent. Fair warning.[/QUOTE]

Could not agree more, Farcry 2 was one of the most frustrating games I have played in my life. You have to spend 30 minutes ever mission just to drive across the map, while constantly being attacked by respawning enemy roadblocks......very frustrating and tedious game avoid like the plague. Unless you like pain....in which case there are better ways than this ....not that I know anything about that.

$10 at target awhile back. Hate it. Everything is drive forever and enemies continually respawn. Never feels like real progress. It's like the game tries to be Oblivion and falls on it's face.

[quote name='emperordahc']$10 at target awhile back. Hate it. Everything is drive forever and enemies continually respawn. Never feels like real progress. It's like the game tries to be Oblivion and falls on it's face.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. The respawning enemies are horrible. I would literally clear out an area of enemies, drive like 30 seconds come back and they respawned again. Having to drive everywhere is also a hassle since there is no fast travel/warp system.

Very good game. I wasn't sure about it after the first hour or so, but I stuck with it, and am glad I did.

Yes, it is very different from other FPSs. You have freedom to explore where you want, the gameplay area is huge, weapons are solid, graphics are great, and you have to actually travel and explore the world, and have random encounters when getting from place to place.

And the roadblocks are easy enough to avoid, it you care to avoid them. Even if you don't, most you can just drive right through; you'll get hit by a couple bullets, but not enough to really hurt you.

And the roadblocks are easy enough to avoid, it you care to avoid them. Even if you don't, most you can just drive right through; you'll get hit by a couple bullets, but not enough to really hurt you.

This just isn't true. You're only about 2 hours into the game if you really believe this. It gets to a point where your ride will get literally trashed in 15 seconds flat if you don't stop and kill the enemies attacking/chasing you. There is absolutely no out-running or avoiding the enemy roadblocks after the half-way point or so.

I like the malaria feature in this game.Went for a swim; contracted malaria and drowned.Yes,I would recommend this game at said price.

I beat the game. It was fantastic. I loved all of it.
You get to drive around lush environments and shoot lots of bad guys who know how to fight back.
It takes some skill to play this game, so a lot of casuals complain about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bagwelljeff']All you need to do is take the bus and you can get close to any place you want in no time[/QUOTE]

This is half-true. There are 5 bus stops in the whole fucking map, and they are all in the corners with one in the middle. Traveling to a bus stop is frequently - I do mean more than half of the time - just as far as actually just driving to your destination, which again takes like 20 minutes sometimes. The complaints leveled against this game are legitimate, through and through. However, that which it does well - video-game realism, atmosphere, FPS with open world tendencies, actual combat - it does quite well. It's just that what it does poorly it does super poorly.

[quote name='aihuman']I like the malaria feature in this game.Went for a swim; contracted malaria and drowned.Yes,I would recommend this game at said price.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you understand how the malaria thing works. You have malaria at the start of the game, you must have been swimming when it "struck", as it does ever few hours. You eventually take missions to re-up on pills which lower your malaria level, increasing your sprint distance and decreasing the frequency of the malaria attacks.

Not such a good deal but it is an amazing game. I bought this from either gamefly or familyvideo or gohastings for $10 shipped plus tax. The game was used but like new. I recommend the game it is really good.

I had fun with the game, but I never played the multiplayer so I won't comment on that.

I liked the gameplay, and hunting down all the diamonds to get upgrades was fun and rewarding (except for the ones you can only get from hang gliding - what a pain). Vehicles are plentiful, and it's a good idea to travel in one with a gun mount for the roadblocks. You can try driving through the roadblocks, but they'll chase you down and blow you up.

I didn't like the ending, but the trip there was an experience.

I also didn't like how faction soldiers wouldn't be friendly to you while you're on a mission for their faction. It was reiterated time and again in the mission descriptions, but it just felt like developer laziness to me.

[quote name='jewsdidwtc']This just isn't true. You're only about 2 hours into the game if you really believe this. It gets to a point where your ride will get literally trashed in 15 seconds flat if you don't stop and kill the enemies attacking/chasing you. There is absolutely no out-running or avoiding the enemy roadblocks after the half-way point or so.[/QUOTE]

I'm well past 2 hours, thanks.

I usually just drive up to ~75 yard or so from a roadblock, hop into the back of my truck with the gun, quickly kill the first one or two guys you see, shoot barrels/ammo piles, then finish off the third with a sniper rifle. You may find it repetitive or annoying, but it really isn't that hard. Even if your truck takes damage, there is almost always a brand new one at each guard post, or spend the 5 seconds fixing yours.

And yes, if you really want to avoid the roadblocks altogether, you can avoid many of them, but it does mean more driving.

It's interesting to read everyone's opinion on this game. I myself enjoyed this game thoroughly and would recommend it to any FPS fan than gets a thrill out of a more realistic game. The malaria, buying your weapons at the gun store, even the patrolling enemies all contributed to a better experience. Traveling doesn't take as long as some people are making it out to be. Getting a vehicle is easy enough. Just sneak into an outpost, plant an explosive as a diversion, then get in the truck and high-tail it out of there. Good memories. Well worth the $50 I spent. I went through the game on normal, but will definitely like to go through it again on a harder difficulty. It's definitely not a game for everyone. I'd say it's more Stalker, less Halo, if that helps anyone.

[quote name='jewsdidwtc']"More driving" really sucks when it takes 15 minutes to drive to a mission.[/QUOTE]

Well, you could always walk ;)

bread's done
Back