Got a Gamecube - No Games =(

praxus07

CAGiversary!
Feedback
-1 (0%)
OK, so I have a perfectly good Gamecube sitting here for a while now, but no games, and no memory card.

What games are simply must haves for this system? Avoid mentioning anything Zelda or Metroid. I played both when the GC first came out and hated them.

I was thinking of starting on the Resident Evil series, with RE:0, and maybe trying out the Star Wars games, but is there anything else worth searching out?

What other kinds of games do you like/dislike? RPG-wise, if you haven't played Skies of Arcadia on the Dreamcast (and even if you have), Skies of Arcadia Legends is a damn good port-with-extras.

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door is another excellent RPG.

You know, I was playing Eternal Darkness a couple weeks ago and it just hasn't aged very well IMO... if you can find it cheap you can at least give it a try since you're looking for RE type games, but I can't really vouch for paying the current price (about $15-20). RE0 isn't a bad choice, although I didn't take much to the character swapping, even though it was pretty clever, I still really enjoy playing the remake of the first game though. RE4 is a must-try if you haven't played it yet (and if you haven't, where the hell have you been!?)

I also enjoyed Mario Sunshine for what it's worth,

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
Baten Kaitos Origins
Chibi Robo
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Killer 7
Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition
Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, The
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Mario Power Tennis
Mega Man Anniversary Collection
Mega Man X Collection
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Pikmin
Pikmin 2
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil: Code: Veronica X
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Tales of Symphonia
Viewtiful Joe
Viewtiful Joe 2

Baten Kaitos (especially Origins), Phantasy Star Online 1&2 +, Viewtiful Joe are all great. It's completely beyond me how someone could like Resident Evil but not Metroid Prime, but that's your call of course.

Grab whatever you can, you can't go wrong with Gamecube. I've been collecting them for a while now. Most games can be had for really dirt cheap.

[quote name='praxus07']OK, so I have a perfectly good Gamecube sitting here for a while now, but no games, and no memory card.

What games are simply must haves for this system? Avoid mentioning anything Zelda or Metroid. I played both when the GC first came out and hated them.

I was thinking of starting on the Resident Evil series, with RE:0, and maybe trying out the Star Wars games, but is there anything else worth searching out?[/QUOTE]

Hmmm -- no Zelda or Metroid? Really, you should try those again :)

I agree w/ eastshore4 about Eternal Darkness -- good game but it's ugly. It wasn't a pretty game when it came out, either, and now it looks like a slightly better N64 game. I'd pass on it.

If you never played Metal Gear Solid for he PSOne, then check out Twin Snakes. If you've already played MGS, then Twin Snakes may bore you to tears (since the extended cutscenes are really where it's at).

You can't go wrong with either RE1 or RE0 -- both are still amazing experiences.

I'd also try out Star Wars Rogue Leader 2 or 3. 3 actually has some of the old arcade games -- the ground missions are terrible, though. Really shows why Factor 5 could never get it right with Lair, either. Still, minus KOTOR and Unleashed 2, these probably are the best Star Wars games around.

I'd check out Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2 if you never played them on the PS2. Also, Wario World is an excellent stomp and romp game. As for a sports title, check out Beach Spikers by AM2 -- IMHO, the best women's beach volleyball game made to date.

[quote name='celegus']Baten Kaitos (especially Origins), Phantasy Star Online 1&2 +, Viewtiful Joe are all great. It's completely beyond me how someone could like Resident Evil but not Metroid Prime, but that's your call of course.[/QUOTE]

I dunno, I just couldn't stand the controls in Metroid Prime, and hated when you had to turn into a ball and roll around. Just not a fan at all of the game. And Zelda, I "tried" playing it on the n64, hated it. I couldn't stand the cartoony look of wind walker back when it originally came out, and I even tried it on the wii when I had one. Again, hated it. It's just not my cuppa tea.

As for RPG suggestions I like the Final Fantasy types, also FF tactics types, nothing too cartoony though. Again, I remember trying FF crystal chronicles and not enjoying it all.

I'm not really a Mario fan, so I try to stay away from those games as well. They seem to give me a nasty headache when I play them. Skies of Arcadia I'd try, but I did play it on the Dreamcast, and still have it somewhere here.

I did order RE:0, so it's on it's way. Now to find a cheap memory card....

[quote name='praxus07']I dunno, I just couldn't stand the controls in Metroid Prime, and hated when you had to turn into a ball and roll around. Just not a fan at all of the game. And Zelda, I "tried" playing it on the n64, hated it. I couldn't stand the cartoony look of wind walker back when it originally came out, and I even tried it on the wii when I had one. Again, hated it. It's just not my cuppa tea.

As for RPG suggestions I like the Final Fantasy types, also FF tactics types, nothing too cartoony though. Again, I remember trying FF crystal chronicles and not enjoying it all.

I'm not really a Mario fan, so I try to stay away from those games as well. They seem to give me a nasty headache when I play them. Skies of Arcadia I'd try, but I did play it on the Dreamcast, and still have it somewhere here.

I did order RE:0, so it's on it's way. Now to find a cheap memory card....[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you like M rated games ;-) which unfortunately you won't find too much of on the Gamecube (outside 3rd party ports).

Have you tried GUN by Activision? That's a gritty game that I think was released on the Gamecube. You might also want to try the Prince of Persia games.

Lastly, you may also want to get Rare's last GCN game, Star Fox Adventures. It's Zelda but with a realistic game engine (well, about as realistic as talking foxes go). But it's the opposite of Wind Waker in presentation.

Based on the games you like, though, get a PS2.

Super Monkey Ball! Seriously, the first game is almost perfect in terms of control, level design and challenge. All other versions of the game have been god-awful.

A Few games that I've tried before giving up my gamecube. That I think you might enjoy.

The single player games I had a great time on.
Beyond Good & Evil
Prince of Persia The Sand of Time
Prince of Persia The Warrior Within
Prince of Persia The Two Thrones
James Bond 007: Everything or Nothing

Here's some great Multiplayer
:Conflict: Desert Storm:
:Hunter: The Reckoning:
:Super Smash Bros Melee:
:The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Didn't had the chance to play "Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem"
but hope I could give it a shot since I've just found a gamecube in great shape. Works like brand new.

[quote name='MasterSun1']
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
[/QUOTE]
as good as they were then. listing them on gamecube.. thats just silly

Chibi-robo is a gem. It looks like a terrible kids game, but its a fantastic game that was partly developed first party. Paper Mairo and the Thousand Year Door is also very good choice and has a fair amount of gameplay. Pikmin is also a really unique game you should definitely give a shot, tho the 2nd one is a bit rarer and on the more expensive side.

Some of these have been mentioned already, but I'll add my little list of GameCube titles for mature audiences anyway.

Metal Arms: Glitch in the System -- Totally under-appreciated gem. 1Up's review comment:
"...think Ratchet & Clank fused with Halo." Check out some reviews online for details, but I recommend a blind buy because it's cheaper and more fun than your last girlfriend.

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes -- Improves greatly on the original in graphics and controls, although some of the cut-scenes went over the top with action. Purists don't agree but I think this suits the ridiculous nature of MGS perfectly. Clearly the best way to replay the original MGS at this point.

Killer 7 - Unique style, weird anime-influenced storyline, mature themes unlike anything else on the system. Boils down to a branching, on-rails shooter with advanced controls. Definitely a "love it or hate it" type game but worth playing either way.

Fire Emblem: Paths of Radiance - Strategy RPG game with deep story and a lengthy campaign. Very good, very tough. If you like strategy games at all then it's a must own.

Star Wars Rogue Leader/Rebel Strike -- Two of the best Star Wars games ever made, although Rogue Leader is probably the better choice because it doesn't have the lame ground missions. (However, Rebel Strike includes a co-op version of the entire Rogue Leader game on disc... so it's hard to get down on it too much.)

Tales of Symphonia -- Not many RPGs on Wii, but luckily this is a solid one. Tales RPGs are slightly different than what you listed as preferred games, so keep that in mind if tracking this down. Cell-shaded graphics might turn some people off... but that's their problem and not a shortcoming of the game.

Beyond Good and Evil -- Recommend getting on PS2 instead if that's an option, because the soundtrack is cut short on GameCube. Still an excellent game on either console though, and ends up being more than the sum of it's parts.

Soul Calibur 2 -- Brilliant fighting game, and I think this one is more balanced than either 3 or 4. Having Link as a special character is a bit odd though...

F-Zero GX -- Speed. Incredible, blazing speed. Tough as nails tracks that will frustrate you to no end. Vicious AI. If that sounds like a futuristic racer that you would enjoy, and you have a masochistic streak, then pick up this beautiful game.

Eternal Darkness -- This was originally supposed to be a N64 game and it clearly shows. Graphics and controls haven't aged well, but the story, special effects, and game structure are all very good. Still worth playing if you don't mind retro games, especially if you haven't had the game effects spoiled already through reviews and comments.

Hulk: Ultimate Destruction -- Super-hero game that gets it right. The controls are spot on, and you have a ton of moves and special actions available to you as the Hulk. Playing makes you feel empowered and entertained. Story is pretty solid too.

Resident Evil series -- Beautiful remake of the first game, and RE0 is pretty good too. Others aren't great ports but just having them all (except 5) available on a single console is very convenient. RE4 is much better on Wii, so I recommend it there over the GameCube version.

Some people didn't like it because it was kind of a short game, but I loved Luigi's Mansion. Also, any of the Mario Party games are great when you play with other people.

Soul Calibur and Capcom Vs. SNK EO.

I'll vouch for Eternal Darkness as well, and Ikaruga. My favorite game on the Gamecube had to have been Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes I almost fell over and died when I played the original, playing the remake was soooo clutch.

bread's done
Back