[Dead] Telltale Sale: Full Season of Strong Bad $5, Sam & Max $10

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 cheapo72

cheapo72

Run, you pigeons!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:04 AM

No disc checks and/or no need to get NoDVD cracks to avoid having to have the disc. Don't have to worry about losing the disc. Basically, not having to worry about the disc.
I'm so bored of seeing DRM used as a kneejerk complaint. It's here, it's not onerous, get over it! I swear, if I could kill with my mind every idiot who posts "What's the DRM? If it has DRM, no sale!!!" about EVERYTHING, there'd be a lot less people on the Information Superhighway.

He was commenting on a post regarding SBCG4AP from Telltale's site vs. Steam. In this case, both distributors allow unlimited downloads: one (Telltale) without the negatives of Steam, and one (Steam) without the implementation of its unique features (Achievements, Cloud, etc.)

Didn't see any posts in this thread resembling the "knee-jerk" "idiots" you decry.

#32 Justme8800

Justme8800

Not like the other 8799

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:48 AM

No disc checks and/or no need to get NoDVD cracks to avoid having to have the disc. Don't have to worry about losing the disc. Basically, not having to worry about the disc.

I'm so bored of seeing DRM used as a kneejerk complaint. It's here, it's not onerous, get over it! I swear, if I could kill with my mind every idiot who posts "What's the DRM? If it has DRM, no sale!!!" about EVERYTHING, there'd be a lot less people on the Information Superhighway.

Gonna bite on Strong Bad. (That sounds terrible, doesn't it?)

The irony of you complaining about knee-jerk reactions is not lost on me. :D Thanks for taking the time to respond, at least.

For the record, all Telltale games (including the Steam versions) have SecuROM DRM. If anyone is boycotting DRM, move along.

He was commenting on a post regarding SBCG4AP from Telltale's site vs. Steam. In this case, both distributors allow unlimited downloads: one (Telltale) without the negatives of Steam, and one (Steam) without the implementation of its unique features (Achievements, Cloud, etc.)

Didn't see any posts in this thread resembling the "knee-jerk" "idiots" you decry.

So wait, does the Steam version come with achievements or something? Is that what I'm missing?

#33 DirkBelig

DirkBelig

The Belligerent One

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:11 AM

No Achievements that I can see. Played the tutorial and started a game and already have half of my money's worth from laughs in the writing. Great stuff.

133994.png DirkBelig.png5fbfd2ddbe4d9137.png DirkBelig.png

#34 TestType

TestType

model fetishist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:26 AM

Actually, all Telltale releases sold and delivered through the Telltale website have DRM, and it is more bothersome than Steam. Once downloaded and installed, you have to activate your copy through an online check before you can run it. On Steam, Telltale games do not require a check and have no listed 3rd party DRMs. So I'm not sure what Steam "negatives" you are referring to here.

The irony of you complaining about knee-jerk reactions is not lost on me. :D Thanks for taking the time to respond, at least.

For the record, all Telltale games (including the Steam versions) have SecuROM DRM. If anyone is boycotting DRM, move along.

Steam copy has SecuROM? Source of this?
Not listed in the pretty comprehensive list of games with DRM on Steam compiled on their forum.
http://forums.steamp...ad.php?t=966005
Posted Image

#35 Doomstink

Doomstink

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:04 AM

Just ordered the DVD versions of both Strong Bad and Sam & Max Season 2 for $14.90 shipped. That's a pretty killer deal.

#36 GreatDoink

GreatDoink

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:39 AM

I prefer Steam over many of the sites just because its centralized, has good organization, and I know it will be around for awhile because of its popularity.

That being said, a deal is a deal and there are many other great sites/services out there, like gog.com or Impulse.

On topic, is Strong Bad worth the $5? I used to love the site, but haven't been there in a while. For what it's worth, I also love the Tales of Monkey Island.

sig.gif 

#37 cheapo72

cheapo72

Run, you pigeons!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:06 PM

So wait, does the Steam version come with achievements or something? Is that what I'm missing?

...and one (Steam) without the implementation of its unique features (Achievements, Cloud, etc.)

So I'm not sure what Steam "negatives" you are referring to here.

I was just comparing the activation-then-play-offline of Telltale to Steam's wonky offline mode for one, IMO.

On topic, is Strong Bad worth the $5? I used to love the site, but haven't been there in a while. For what it's worth, I also love the Tales of Monkey Island.

YES!
:bouncy:

#38 Justme8800

Justme8800

Not like the other 8799

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:25 AM

Steam copy has SecuROM? Source of this?
Not listed in the pretty comprehensive list of games with DRM on Steam compiled on their forum.
http://forums.steamp...ad.php?t=966005

Hey, you're right! I could have sworn I read somewhere that the securom was in all versions. This answers my original question, thank you.

Let's see if I can rephrase that other statement I made... "For the record, all Telltale games have DRM, period." That was my point, anyways. :roll:

Let it ALSO be said that for the record I don't like DRM. Even Telltale's "super nice" DRM. I went on a 3-day train ride with my Sam & Max games on my laptop; little did I know, activating one episode doesn't automatically activate all episodes like it seems; the other episodes just do their online checks without notifying you at first boot. Needless to say, I didn't end up playing much Sam & Max on that trip. :wall:

This has gotten way off-topic, lol.