Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:37 PM

epic pwnage
Posted Image

#32 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:48 PM

I throughly enjoyed this event or podcast.

p.s. Wombat. Embargo's are a RESULT of competition.

Edited by usickenme, 23 July 2010 - 06:09 PM.

#33 mrnivek

mrnivek

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:01 PM

Enjoyed Limbo even at $15 but agree with Shipwreck that $10 would have been better. We will problably see these titles half price next year right befor the next years summer of arcade if you don't mind the wait. Anyway great show as always, even better if I can score a beta code for my friend. Already got mine with the Gamestop pre-order.

Posted Image

#34 AceOfBam

AceOfBam

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:01 PM

Another great show, always look forward to them. Side notes F kinect and bring on the beta! Keep up the good work guys!

#35 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:19 PM

Shippy, of all the reviews you've done, some guy called you out on a PSP mini? So weird. You're doing fine work, don't worry about it.

Btw, Limbo is awesome. Some puzzles are so tricky!
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#36 Walt Jay

Walt Jay

Gamerscore Whore

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:27 PM

Nice show guys. I totally forgot that the Alan Wake DLC is coming out soon. I better power through the rest of the game!
Posted Image

#37 supersizerice

supersizerice

Rick my barrs

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:29 PM

Every time I hear about Limbo, I can't help but remember Limbo of the Lost and that catchy end credits song. Also, I'd like a beta code!

#38 apathylad

apathylad

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:31 PM

I'm pretty disappointed that Ultimate Spider-Man's gimmick in Shattered Dimensions is the symbiote costume.

Anyway, I agree with the sentiment that $15 for Limbo is too expensive, and I'm annoyed because $10 used to be the standard for XBLA games. This is what stopped me from buying the two $15 Modern Warfare 2 map packs as well, and I'm concerned that 1200 points will be the new standard for DLC in the future. From all the summer XBLA games, Castlevania is the only one that interests me at the moment.

Good show. And I enjoyed Inception as well, although it is definitely a film you need to pay attention to understand.

#39 LV_NightOwl

LV_NightOwl

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:53 PM

Awesome Cagcast guys keep up the great work. And kazooo

#40 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:18 PM

I had to look over at Gamefaqs after Shipwreck mentioned he wrote a couple of FAQs. His DOA FAQ is an item-related FAQ while his Chase FAQ is the only game walkthrough.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#41 collipop

collipop

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:33 PM

And you know that's his sister how exactly?

I had heard it on other podcasts and read it in the description.

If you hadn't had that knowledge I can see the game being not as good.

Spoiler

#42 Xeno G

Xeno G

Stubborn Monkey

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:44 PM

Great show guys, I've got to sit on a riding mower for 7 hours a week and this always helps pass the time.
BUY MY GAMES! [~ Twitter - 360 ~] Currently Playing: Halo 4 & Borderlands 2 (360), Skyrim & FTL (PC)

#43 encendido5

encendido5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:51 PM

Wombat, I'm surprised you didn't call out the Sly Cooper collection for being too expensive. You can probably buy these games for the PS2 for $5 or less a piece. Granted you can't play them on the newer PS3's, but still.
Posted Image

#44 ObiBen

ObiBen

Form Titan!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:58 PM

Another great show guys, and thanks for answering my question. I'll decide whether or not Limbo gets my 1200 spacebucks after playing the trial.

#45 oxidative

oxidative

last chance to evacuate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:12 PM

Thanks for a great start to the weekend. Still loving Wombat's musical accompaniment during the commercials.

I agree with Shipwreck & Wombat that we shouldn't be supporting $15 3 hour games. I just think Limbo would have easily sold at least 33% more at $10...but what do I know :D

#46 x3ar

x3ar

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:13 PM

great show again, my friend says medal of honor beta is awesome and very different from bad company 2 but i don't believe him, hes a big fan boy, besides the multiplayer is being made by dice so it must be the same. Please consider me for winning one of the MOH beta codes, and keep up the great work!

#47 Kuromimi

Kuromimi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:14 PM

Awesome show guys! I was also disappointed on how they change the ewok song at the end. I'm glad that you put the original song at the end of this show. :)
Posted Image

#48 radjago

radjago

Long-time CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:19 PM

To me, bargain bin games are the 1 dollar McDonald hamburgers of gaming. Either I've already played the games or they're the games no one would ever want to play anyway.

Or how about this - why watch Inception when you can probably rent Batman Begins, Prestige and the Dark Knight for the same price? You can watch three Nolan movies for the price of one.

Or why buy a 360 when you can buy a PS2 and probably 10-20 games for the same price? Why buy a new 50" TV when you can get several 20" TVs for the same price? Where do you draw the line on these kinds of comparisons?

If you are comparing a new game to another new game in terms of "price", then maybe I would accept that argument, even if I think arguing based on price is rather silly - Limbo is 1/4 the price of Singularity, so is Limbo 1/4 as "good" as Singularity? - at least that argument is more apples to apples.

I mean, I look for bargains just like everyone else who posts on CAG, but Wombat's price comparisons don't make any sense to me.

I'm not sure I'm understanding your argument here. I agree with every point you've made, but I come to a different conclusion. I hardly ever buy new games and never pay full price. The only time I ever buy new releases is for multiplayer games to play with my friends on a level playing field or single player games in a series where I want to experience the next part of the story. Otherwise, Bioshock will be the same if I buy it day 1 at $60 or years later at less than $20. Nearly every game will drop in price eventually, but outside of mutliplayer populations drying up, it will never drop in value.

#49 ded134

ded134

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:26 PM

Put me in for a MoH beta code! I can't wait to see it freeze....then die..

#50 TheAggroCraig

TheAggroCraig

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:27 PM

I really can't see myself spending $15 on Limbo, at $10 I'd probably bite, just not feeling it completely from the trial...

Posted Image

(Ex: Buy/Half/DeepDiscount/Gamestop.com/etc)

#51 Facesnook

Facesnook

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:29 PM

Would love an MoH beta key if any are left. Great show.

#52 kn1ghtl0rd

kn1ghtl0rd

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:53 PM

Good job guys (as usual). Throw me in the running for that beta code.

Posted Image

#53 DrMunkee

DrMunkee

Logical AND dreamy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:10 PM

Were people really that critical about Shipwreck's review of "Limbo"?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it and thought that it was a $15 well spent, but it seems like anytime someone slightly criticizes a game that could be used as a frontrunner in the "Games as Art" debate and doesn't hail it as a perfect specimen, they get shunned and thrown under the bus.

Which, let me be one to say, is a stupid debate in the first place. People are so focused on getting other people to accept their hobby as art that they forget to actually have fun. Who the hell really cares what other people think?

That's my opinion, anyway. You know, kind of like a review of something. Something you shouldn't be allowed to criticize someone for.

"The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke."

#54 kapkorn

kapkorn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:28 PM

Good show so far.. gimme a code!

#55 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:11 PM

Wombat, I'm surprised you didn't call out the Sly Cooper collection for being too expensive. You can probably buy these games for the PS2 for $5 or less a piece. Granted you can't play them on the newer PS3's, but still.

It's the same price as the GoW collection, expect you get 3 games instead of 2.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#56 Broken Cage

Broken Cage

Don't Start Trouble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:21 PM

To me, bargain bin games are the 1 dollar McDonald hamburgers of gaming. Either I've already played the games or they're the games no one would ever want to play anyway.

Or how about this - why watch Inception when you can probably rent Batman Begins, Prestige and the Dark Knight for the same price? You can watch three Nolan movies for the price of one.

Or why buy a 360 when you can buy a PS2 and probably 10-20 games for the same price? Why buy a new 50" TV when you can get several 20" TVs for the same price? Where do you draw the line on these kinds of comparisons?

If you are comparing a new game to another new game in terms of "price", then maybe I would accept that argument, even if I think arguing based on price is rather silly - Limbo is 1/4 the price of Singularity, so is Limbo 1/4 as "good" as Singularity? - at least that argument is more apples to apples.

I mean, I look for bargains just like everyone else who posts on CAG, but Wombat's price comparisons don't make any sense to me.

That's a whole seperate issue, I feel. I disagree with the $60.00 price point as a standard. So I also disagree with XBLA price points being the same.

Take this example, DeathSpank is 1GB, Limbo is 300+MBs, yet both are $15.00. DeathSpank has a run time of 5-6 hours, Limbo has a run time of 3-4. So the question isn't why go see Inception over the Dark Knight, the question is, would you pay the same price to watch a 30 minute program as you would for a 90 minute one?

Wombat's argument that he could find and play ten games for the price of Limbo is exaggerated, but you could buy two or three games for that price. Right now, on Amazon, I could pick up PGR4 and Skate for a dollar less than Limbo. Maybe you've beaten them, but I haven't, so why pay for a three hour experience when I can play other full retail games for the same price?

In the end, however, it's about personal preference. If Limbo is worth $15.00 to you, cool. It's your money. To me, it isn't, and that's my choice.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I blog about playing video games: www.heavyattack.com

#57 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:27 PM

I just listened to the part about Limbo. And there actually is a story to it, he's looking for his sister. And while that may not be very deep, I think a plumber looking for a princess that got taken by turtles isn't very deep either.

http://marketplace.x...00-0000584109d1

It says so in the game description

Took the words right out of my fingers. You have to read CheapyD!

So, basically what you are saying is..the game has a "story", it's just not in the game. I'm pretty sure that doesn't count.

#58 Broken Cage

Broken Cage

Don't Start Trouble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:29 PM

So, basically what you are saying is..the game has a "story", it's just not in the game. I'm pretty sure that doesn't count.

Not to play Devil's Advocate, but in the Atari/NES/Genesis era, you had to read the manual for the story. I'm pretty sure it counts.

Edit: Of course, to jump back into my previous discussion. That begs the question, why does Limbo need to be $15.00. DeathSpank has more art assets, voice actors, dialogue writers, music, etc. Limbo has no dialogue, no voice acting, black on white art, and minimal music. How can one's development cost be low enough that $15.00 can turn a profit and the other have less expenses, and still need to charge $15.00.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I blog about playing video games: www.heavyattack.com

#59 Gamer SDP

Gamer SDP

not much of a gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:29 PM

another nice time killer show.

I'm guessing you guys don't ebay or trade in games (other other items for that mater). I'm sure a bunch of CAGs would like to buy up some old games that you might consider crap. maybe even run a CAG charity event or something and you guys can sign games that sell (or just a piece of paper since some don't like writing on games). same goes for accessories and other stuff (example Wombat mentioning 5 xbox 360 controllers)

like previous shows, I found it annoying how much cheapy brings up Apple. I'm sure you could get in contact with Steve Jobs, though there might be a blow job wait list.

it would be interesting if shipwreck ever decides to post some spreadsheets/charts/etc for games.

and a question when you write reviews, do you have to run it by the publisher (or whatever company handles the marketing)?

#60 Wazzaplinola

Wazzaplinola

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:54 PM

Good show. Moh code?