CAGcast #206: The Star Wars of Your Generation

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#91 thwak

thwak

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:36 AM

So, basically what you are saying is..the game has a "story", it's just not in the game. I'm pretty sure that doesn't count.

Would the story have been better if the kid was a pervert and he was looking for a malaysian child prostitute?

I mean, you could technically write any description for the game based on what people have said.

#92 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:50 AM

Learning a single fatality is one thing, but if you want to be able to see every character's fatality, you'd have to learn all of them. And there's still a difference between doing a move in Street Fighter and doing a fatality in Mortal Kombat. In Street Fighter, the moves help you win whereas Mortal Kombat the fatalities do absolutely nothing to help you.

And I'm not even going to try to defend Cheapy and his play style.

like i said he can just learn one person thats what i do. and as far as seeing the fatalities nowdays you can just search youtube and find videos on games but before that in a number of mk games there was something you could do that showed every fatality in the game.

#93 Greencapt

Greencapt

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:33 AM

New listener here. I've caught up on the last few episodes and have to say I'm enjoying the show. Thanks for the new ear-candy!

#94 DietCokeJunkey

DietCokeJunkey

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:08 AM

like i said he can just learn one person thats what i do. and as far as seeing the fatalities nowdays you can just search youtube and find videos on games but before that in a number of mk games there was something you could do that showed every fatality in the game.

I'm well aware of that. I just don't see how it would hurt the game if they made fatalities easier to pull off. The match is over, you've already won. It's not like they're suggesting that fatalities become completely automatic to where it does for you if you win.

DarkZion9.pngWjwtTLD.gif?1

so I decided to see what I could do with it and I got to the end but there's no way I can finish him off. 

#95 darkwood78

darkwood78

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:17 AM

I felt the same way about deathspank. I want to grow with a weapon or a piece of armor but, not here. Alas, no other issues there good downloadable game.

P.S. - *RAISES HAND* Pick me for a MoH beta code *wink*

#96 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:44 AM

I'm well aware of that. I just don't see how it would hurt the game if they made fatalities easier to pull off. The match is over, you've already won. It's not like they're suggesting that fatalities become completely automatic to where it does for you if you win.

heres a link to a list of fatalities and how to do them for the first mk game. are you telling me all of these are hard to do ?

http://www.mksecrets...pecialmoves.php

#97 Greencapt

Greencapt

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:13 AM

Oh and I wouldn't turn down a MoH beta code either. ;)

#98 DietCokeJunkey

DietCokeJunkey

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:36 AM

heres a link to a list of fatalities and how to do them for the first mk game. are you telling me all of these are hard to do ?

http://www.mksecrets...pecialmoves.php

No but for people like me, it's hard to remember them. My memory sucks.

DarkZion9.pngWjwtTLD.gif?1

so I decided to see what I could do with it and I got to the end but there's no way I can finish him off. 

#99 Fjordson

Fjordson

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:15 AM

Great episode as usual. Loved that intro music. Sounded awesome.

This whole Call of Duty being the "Star Wars of our generation" is so funny. CoD isn't even the best console shooter of this generation, let alone some cultural phenomenon.

(Star Trek > Star Wars for life, though)

Something to note: I see people bashing Bobby Kotick for the comment. He wasn't the one who said it. It was Activision's publishing CEO whose name escapes me at the moment.

#100 Davestation

Davestation

Dont Cross The Streams

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:12 PM

Why are people complaining to Shipwreck about the buy price for Limbo. Do they not read the website's address of cheap ass gamer? This is not Pimp Ass Gamer, its cheap ass gamer and shipwreck is appealing to his audience. This website sum's it all up in its name.

One day I was driving around Phoenix looking for something to eat. I saw a sign that said "Long Wong's" and I said to myself "I could go for chinese food". So I pulled my 1991 Ford Tempo into the lot and got out of my car and walked into the restaurant. When I opened the door I was greeted by a nice hispanic gentleman. I looked on the walls witch where decorated with sombrero's and other hispanic cultural decorations. I looked around and I seemed confused until I heard the hispanic greeter ask me if I would like a menu. I told my self that I could go for Mexican food now, so I told the waiter as I made my new decision that I would like a menu. I accepted the menu from the kind sir and opened it up to see there three main specialties: Burgers, Pizza, and Wings. There was no sign of Chinese or Mexican food anywhere on the menu. I than got so confused I vomited all over the counter and they kicked me out.

The moral of the story is that restraunt came across as something else and left the consumer assuming what it was. A place like Long Wong's I and many others would consider a Chinese food place. A website like cheapassgamer says it loud and clear that people are looking for cheap stuff and or get a discount. If Shipwreck ever encounters any of these people that question him at E3 or anywhere else he just needs to vomit on them and yell "Why did you make me do that" as he faints right afterwards. I guarantee you they would not Fuck with the Ship again, or they just might beat the shit out of him, but I guarantee that one of those two things will happen. Oh by the way, if you are in the Phoenix area and want to encounter this confusion, Long Wong's is located at 75th Ave and Thomas.
[IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Users/Davestation%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://pid.us.playstation.com/user/Davestation.jpg%22%20width=%22235%22%20height=%22149%22%20border=%220%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E[/IMG][IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Users/Davestation%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://pid.us.playstation.com/user/Davestation.jpg%22%20width=%22235%22%20height=%22149%22%20border=%220%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E[/IMG]

#101 Fjordson

Fjordson

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:25 PM

Stuff.

Posted Image

#102 FairyLeviathan

FairyLeviathan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:10 PM

Dear Shipwreck,

As a fellow reviewer, but not one who has a ton of time, I'd like to know some of the 1 star and 5 star games that have truly left an impression on you since you've began, the ones you would go back to again or the ones you'd set fire to.

And cheers to Wombat, Cheapy, and you as well for giving a bit of my life happiness every week, you three are true knights in shining armor.

Love, Fairy.
Posted Image

You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane, FFIX

#103 nosoup4you0814

nosoup4you0814

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:45 PM

Great show as usual. Bought Singularity at K-Mart on your recommendation and love it. Also was able to get prototype for free. Def a great deal. Two games for 35 bucks. Thanks again!
"You future hasn't been written yet, no ones has. You future is whatever you make, so make it a good one, both of you!"
-Doc Brown (BTTF 3)

#104 Z_meista

Z_meista

The Paragon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:53 PM

Wombat's comparison of games you can get for $15 doesn't add up. You should at least compare it to other downloadable games. Still listening to the show.

#105 SilverPR

SilverPR

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:15 AM

Just to let you know guys, for some reason the RSS feed in the PSP is not updating episode 206. Thanks.

#106 reddjoey

reddjoey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:05 AM

Why are people complaining to Shipwreck about the buy price for Limbo. Do they not read the website's address of cheap ass gamer? This is not Pimp Ass Gamer, its cheap ass gamer and shipwreck is appealing to his audience. This website sum's it all up in its name.

One day I was driving around Phoenix looking for something to eat. I saw a sign that said "Long Wong's" and I said to myself "I could go for chinese food". So I pulled my 1991 Ford Tempo into the lot and got out of my car and walked into the restaurant. When I opened the door I was greeted by a nice hispanic gentleman. I looked on the walls witch where decorated with sombrero's and other hispanic cultural decorations. I looked around and I seemed confused until I heard the hispanic greeter ask me if I would like a menu. I told my self that I could go for Mexican food now, so I told the waiter as I made my new decision that I would like a menu. I accepted the menu from the kind sir and opened it up to see there three main specialties: Burgers, Pizza, and Wings. There was no sign of Chinese or Mexican food anywhere on the menu. I than got so confused I vomited all over the counter and they kicked me out.

The moral of the story is that restraunt came across as something else and left the consumer assuming what it was. A place like Long Wong's I and many others would consider a Chinese food place. A website like cheapassgamer says it loud and clear that people are looking for cheap stuff and or get a discount. If Shipwreck ever encounters any of these people that question him at E3 or anywhere else he just needs to vomit on them and yell "Why did you make me do that" as he faints right afterwards. I guarantee you they would not Fuck with the Ship again, or they just might beat the shit out of him, but I guarantee that one of those two things will happen. Oh by the way, if you are in the Phoenix area and want to encounter this confusion, Long Wong's is located at 75th Ave and Thomas.

So I looked it up....

7124 E Thomas
Scottsdale
480-941-9805

Their sign says:
"Famous Wings....
Burgers - Dogs - More"

Posted Image

Maybe they learned their lesson after your visit.:lol:
Posted Image
Feel free to add me: Just send a msg saying you are from CAG after the FR
| Xbox Deal of the Week |

#107 Kingfalcon

Kingfalcon

Look at what you did!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:18 AM

Just to let you know guys, for some reason the RSS feed in the PSP is not updating episode 206. Thanks.

I use an RSS podcast downloading client and it isn't updated either.

#108 Velo214

Velo214

Baby Lili is Here!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:26 AM

Hey great show! i love listening to cag at work! wootwoot, i want a code too! toke toke Yow!

#109 Cheska19

Cheska19

Fang Banger.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:40 AM

Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks so much for mentioning me on the air =) Here's to hoping Sony picks me :D
Posted ImagePosted Image

#110 Blackout

Blackout

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:48 AM

Good show guys.

Limbo is probably going to become one of those untouchable games (if it isn't already) that hardcore gamers get their panties in a bunch if you don't completely love it, "get" the art side of it, consider it worth full price, or whatever else will irritate them to no end. When it comes to Limbo, Shipwreck's apparently already felt their wrath.

As for the pricing, the blame rests solely in the hands of gamers. The same morons who paid 10 bucks for a Halo map pack are now the same morons paying 15 bucks for the Modern Warfare 2 map packs.They raise the prices on the XBLA games and DLC because they know gamers will still bend over and give away their money without hesitation.

Personally, I can't be blowing money on every new weekly downloadable game that comes out just to experience them at the same time as everyone else or simply to support the "arts", the developer, etc, etc. That's great if you have money to waste, but for me I'm pretty selective when it comes to downloadable games. Especially when we're talking about $15 downloads. At least with retail games I can eventually sell or trade them. I can't do jack squat with XBLA or PSN games.

I wouldn't doubt if $20 soon becomes the standard for downloadable games in the next few years. People will still buy the games though.

Shipwreck, the 2008 Prince of Persia is the one that killed the series. That game sucked some huge sandy balls. It was so boring.

Cheapy, I agree with you on Kinect. There's really nothing to play on it. There's no meat to Kinect, but Microsoft is right. Hardcore gamers will still buy it because it's new, and it gives them something to bitch about on message boards even though they knew before hand there were no games for the thing.

I'm with you on the Mortal Kombat deal too. Although with fatalities, it's not such a big deal because the fight's already over. That's my personal issue with fighting games. I don't really want to learn all the moves and dedicate hundreds of hours on one game just to get really good at it and perfect my craft. There's nothing wrong with that if you do, but personally it's not my sort of thing. I'll play the new MK because I'm a big fan, but I won't be hardcore about it.

Edited by Blackout, 26 July 2010 - 11:49 PM.

#111 Davestation

Davestation

Dont Cross The Streams

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:53 PM

So I looked it up....

7124 E Thomas
Scottsdale
480-941-9805

Their sign says:
"Famous Wings....
Burgers - Dogs - More"

Posted Image

Maybe they learned their lesson after your visit.:lol:

No, no, no, thats not it. That is in Scottsdale where rich people like Cheapy D live. If you read my story I said I pulled into the parking lot in my 1991 Ford Tempo. They do not let cars like that in Scottsdale and the East Side. That restraunt is on 73rd Street, on the east side. The one I got confused at was at 75th Avenue. I tried to find a picture but my A.D.D. kicked in and I watched Ace Ventura Pet Detective instead, sorry about that gotta get the poison out!!
[IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Users/Davestation%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://pid.us.playstation.com/user/Davestation.jpg%22%20width=%22235%22%20height=%22149%22%20border=%220%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E[/IMG][IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Users/Davestation%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://pid.us.playstation.com/user/Davestation.jpg%22%20width=%22235%22%20height=%22149%22%20border=%220%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E[/IMG]

#112 Conboy

Conboy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:06 PM

Great show guys. I won a code for Limbo from IGN, and have really enjoyed the game. I would have bought it for $15 if I didn't get it for free. These types of games should be supported by the Xbox community as they are far and few between.

We get tagged as the shooter community only, and while that is true, good oddball games that push the boundaries of what is typical fair on the XBLA marketplace should be rewarded for a good effort.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#113 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:20 PM

No, no, no, thats not it. That is in Scottsdale where rich people like Cheapy D live. If you read my story I said I pulled into the parking lot in my 1991 Ford Tempo. They do not let cars like that in Scottsdale and the East Side. That restraunt is on 73rd Street, on the east side. The one I got confused at was at 75th Avenue. I tried to find a picture but my A.D.D. kicked in and I watched Ace Ventura Pet Detective instead, sorry about that gotta get the poison out!!

I prefer Long Duck Dong's. Also he has a sexy girlfriend.

#114 reddjoey

reddjoey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:39 PM

Posted Image

If this is the right one these guys added a sign too, looks like word got around. :lol:
Posted Image
Feel free to add me: Just send a msg saying you are from CAG after the FR
| Xbox Deal of the Week |

#115 CaptNink

CaptNink

Building consensus.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:26 PM

For those complaining that Limbo doesn't have a story: http://www.destructo...79561.phtml#ext
Posted Image]

#116 jkanownik

jkanownik

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:33 PM

For those complaining that Limbo doesn't have a story: http://www.destructo...79561.phtml#ext

Oh god. I'm having Heavy Rain defense force flashbacks.
Posted Image

AC: 4682-1344-1734 (Leenie - Home)

#117 lowgear26

lowgear26

Marriage Kills

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:10 PM

just imagine if Limbo were a PSN game.......the hate would be overwhelming for these opinions.
You Can't handle the Truth.

#118 canestim

canestim

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:55 AM

Good show guys.

I am conflicted about MOH, was looking forward to it. Tried Battlefield and preferred MW2 gameplay. So MOH being made by two different developers makes me wonder if I will only like the single player since the multi player is made by Dice (BF:BC2).

#119 Salmonday

Salmonday

Cranky Old Man

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:04 PM

Just a couple comments on Limbo -- I bought it, I enjoyed it, I played through it several times and will again. However, I still think the price of $15 is too high. I'm sorry.

Now first, allow me to defuse the "you pay that much to see a movie in the theater that's only two hours" crowd with NO I DON'T. I do not go the the theater more than once or twice a year BECAUSE of that price that you are arguing people are willing to pay. For most movies, I am not. I will wait for them to come out on Netflix and watch them at home. There are very few movies that are worth that cost to me BECAUSE of the entertainment versus cost ratio.

The thing that Limbo was closest to in my mind was really more like a board game, almost a Chutes and Ladders type thing -- going up, going down, going up, going down. That made me think that a lot of those puzzle units could have been interchangeable or random. I think an interesting add might have been to have a pool of puzzle segments that could be linked together in different orders for later playthroughs. On one occasion you slide down the hill and have to jump over a bear trap and the next you find a button that launches the buzzsaw -- something to keep you on your toes.

As it is, at least half the people who play this game will only play it once, because other than picking up the achievements or stopping to admire the monochrome roses, there is no replay value. In that sense, you are paying $5/hr of fun. That ratio is too high for my cheapassness. Maybe not for some, but it is for me. $10 would have been more in the park and $7.50 would have been probably about right for me. As it is, I actually plan on letting a friend and my brother both play the game over here so that the $15 is more easily spread out across three persons' experience, which makes me wonder how akin that is to them "stealing" or "duping" the game, since a one-time playthrough experience is what most of us bought, and what I would be sharing.

#120 JadedJedi

JadedJedi

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:59 PM

Thanks for developing a mobile version of the website instead of an iphone app. Not everybody owns an iphone, especially people who are on other networks. Apple, Apple, Apple, it all you guys talk about when it comes to computers. I remember working at Software Etc. when we stopping carrying Mac products because nobody was buying them. People who owned a Mac get laughed at. Ahh, the good ol' days. :)
Posted Image Posted Image