Toy Story 3 Xbox 360/PS3 $33.79 at Costco B&M, other platforms also reduced thru 7/31

splintercell

CAGiversary!
Costco stores have a $10 instant rebate through 7/31 on the Xbox 360/PS3 versions of Toy Story 3, bringing down the price to $33.79. The other platforms also had reduced prices, but I don't recall the exact amounts.

Additionally, at least the Xbox 360 version contains a bonus audio CD with 4 Toy Story songs and some sort of 15-minute narrated story. I didn't notice the same sticker indicating this on the outside of the PS3 version.

I played this game a bit with my nephews, and it reminds me of Chex Quest.
For those who don't recall that game, it was basically a kid-friendly version
of Doom to push a kid's cereal. It was corny, but fun.

From what I played of it, I felt that they needed an adult to play with them,
because some of the parts had more trickier character controls. Also, they should have
had voice recordings to go along with the various pop-up text windows,
as well as an option to repeat that recording.

I guess that they left those out, and just labeled it "Fun for the whole family",
meaning that they wanted the whole family involved.

I played this game a bit with my nephews, and it reminds me of Chex Quest.
Holy crap, you remember Chex Quest!? Haha that brings back memories.

Note that it will also probably have a $7.50 voucher to use to see the Toy Story 3 movie. The PS3 copy I got from GS a few weeks ago had that, in any case.

I don't remember any popup text - it has lots of voice work, actually. I think to go through the entire Toy Box mode you would have to read since it requires you do tons of little things to complete, but for the main story mode I definitely remember voice overs. In fact, they are unskippable in a few places which is really annoying when you are replaying the level to collect something.

I had a lot of trouble with this game on the Wii, 3 copies all would lock up on my launch unit console. DIS couldn't really help me except first level troubleshooting BS..the PS3 seems to be the way to go w/ future Move support and the ability to play as Zurg.

[quote name='token2k6']I had a lot of trouble with this game on the Wii, 3 copies all would lock up on my launch unit console. DIS couldn't really help me except first level troubleshooting BS..the PS3 seems to be the way to go w/ future Move support and the ability to play as Zurg.[/QUOTE]

They are adding Move support to it? I can't see where that would fit in or help. And is playing as Zurg exclusive to that one? I did that in the toy box mode and it is kind of neat, though nothing overwhelming. There are a few missions to do as Zurg.

I will say it has been relatively glitch free though I think it did lock up once or twice on my kids. And in splitscreen the frame rate drops to crappy levels quite often - more than you'd expect given the graphics are not out of this world. However, as a rare split-screen coop game for the PS3, it was well worth it. It kept my two boys happily busy together for hours and they rarely ever get along that long without fighting ;).

[quote name='io']They are adding Move support to it? I can't see where that would fit in or help. And is playing as Zurg exclusive to that one? I did that in the toy box mode and it is kind of neat, though nothing overwhelming. There are a few missions to do as Zurg.[/QUOTE]

oh yeah I've seen Move support confirmed in almost all publications mentioning the game/peripherals, plus it was on the list at E3. However, I'm leaning towards 'this may be the case' by about 60% If Move doesn't have a 'firm' release date, I wonder if the developers will get in gear to release the patch (maybe it's even ready to go?) but with the game coming out so long before Move, maybe everyone will feign interest and just say, 'well I hope nobody notices we didn't update this game..' But you're right io, I really don't know how Move will help a 3rd person sometimes linear, sometimes sandbox game..

And yes Zurg is exclusive only to the PS3 version..

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='io']Note that it will also probably have a $7.50 voucher to use to see the Toy Story 3 movie. The PS3 copy I got from GS a few weeks ago had that, in any case.[/QUOTE]
I think that was the case with at least the GameStop and Best Buy copies, but I'm pretty sure the Costco versions didn't have the movie money.

[quote name='splintercell']I think that was the case with at least the GameStop and Best Buy copies, but I'm pretty sure the Costco versions didn't have the movie money.[/QUOTE]

Not even all the Gamestop copies had the movie money. I picked up a new sealed copy about a week after release date and didn't get the movie money.

Anyway, I have to say that I really enjoy this game for the most part. Lots of missions in Toy Box mode...I think I'm only about 60% done and I've already played it for hours and hours.

Saw this today and still couldn't pull the trigger. The cheap a$$ in me wants to pay no more than $20. LOL

Seems like this game is getting discounted fairly quickly, so maybe it will happen sooner rather than later.

I might pick this up. My girlfriend is super preggo and it has given me an excuse to ease her into video games since she doesn't have the energy to do much else.

[quote name='DeadKevin666']Saw this today and still couldn't pull the trigger. The cheap a$$ in me wants to pay no more than $20. LOL

Seems like this game is getting discounted fairly quickly, so maybe it will happen sooner rather than later.[/QUOTE]

Possibly, but this is one of those titles that will most likely not ever go too low. Sub-$20 maybe, but not $5-$10 like a lot of other games. It sort of has a built-in price support being a Pixar related thing. Look how well Toy Story Mania has held up (the fluke $14.99 used pricing + B1G1 at Blockbuster being the exception).

Having said that, I only bought it because I had one of those "welcome back" $20 coupons from Gamestop on a secondary account and didn't want it to go to waste so I bought this right around when the movie came out for $50 minus the $20 coupon using GS credit online. So paying $30 in GS credit for a new copy (that did have the $7.50 movie cash which I finally used just last week) was a no-brainer. I'm glad it turned out to be as good as it is. Sure, it has issues like I said before (frame rate in split screen most notably) but it is fun. I'm playing through it too, twinton, when taking breaks from other games. The nice thing is my kids will help me with the missions since they've been through most of it already. And the two players can knock out different missions at the same time which is nice - and team up to help beat some of the harder ones (especially the timed collection ones).

The only thing that I see being a real pain is getting the trophy for finishing the jailbreak episode without getting caught by the spotlights. I'm sure it is doable, but it was a pretty boring level to begin with and having to replay it over and over with a non-skippable cutscene at the beginning might just verge on torture ;).

I bought this game for my son and he really enjoys it and I've actually played a lot with him.. it has some cool co-op missions too

Where can I find the rebate coupon? Is the $10 off only available for in store purchases as I did not see it discounted through its website? I will look through my costco coupon booklet when I get home.

[quote name='Donowprod']Where can I find the rebate coupon? Is the $10 off only available for in store purchases as I did not see it discounted through its website? I will look through my costco coupon booklet when I get home.[/QUOTE]

It isn't a coupon, it is an instant rebate that automatically deducts the amount at POP (point of purchase, not prince of persia).

I did actually buy a used copy from Gamestop and the game didn't come with the original box or manual. I was bummed to say the least, as I like having all the original materials just in case I want to trade it in later on.
I now have to find a local Gamestop that has a used copy in and ask for the case and manual. For the meantime I went here and DL the cover artwork. Hope this helps anyone that goes this same route. For a few dollars more I would rather have known earlier and gone to costco an bought it for $33.79. Maybe I can go tomorrow and return this other one.

http://www.covergalaxy.com/forum/microsoft-xbox-360/9773-toy-story-3-ntsc-cover.html

bread's done
Back