XBLA - Scott Pilgrim vs the World - 800 points - Online Multiplayer DLC coming soon!

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
[youtube]Kpg9ndc0dpo[/youtube]

Scott Pilgrim vs the World, based on the popular indie comic series, is coming out on August 25. It will cost 800 points ($10). It's a River City Random-style brawler with four-player offline co-op. Scott and his friends must team up to defeat Ramon's Seven Evil Ex-boyfriends. Each character can gain experience, level up and learn new moves, and purchase food and accessories at stores to boost stats.

Playable characters:
  • Scott Pilgrim: Ontario's best fighter, a slacker, and bass player of Sex Bob-Omb
  • Ramon Flowers: Scott's American girlfriend. She's a delivery girl for Amazon.ca and can travel through sub-space highways.
  • Stephen Stills: Lead singer and guitarist of Sex Bomb-Omb
  • Kim Pine: Drummer of Sex Bob-Omb and one-time girlfriend of Scott
  • Nega Scott Scott's dark side (unlockable)
  • Knives Chau DLC character. Knives' mom is her Striker character.

Striker characters (Summon strikers for assistance.)
  • Knives Chau: The 17-year old Scott dated before meeting Ramon Flowers
  • Mr. Chau (unlockable)
  • Mrs. Chau (unlockable after defeating Mr. Chau)

Credits

Achievements
  • New Challenger (10):
    Defeat Matthew Patel without losing a life.
  • Twin Dragons (10):
    Defeat the Twins simultaneously.
  • Dirty Trick (10):
    Defeat an enemy by throwing an object at him while he’s already down.
  • Invulnerable (10):
    Play through a World and reach the boss without getting hit.
  • Get The Girl (10):
    Clear the game once with Scott.
  • The Power Of Friendship (20):
    In a multiplayer game, reanimate another player at least 25 times.
  • Gourmet (20):
    Eat every food items.
  • Vigilante (20):
    Defeat all enemies in a World, excluding the boss.
  • One Man Army (20):
    Clear the game in single player on the “Supreme Master” difficulty setting.
  • Shopaholic (20):
    Buy all the items of a shop.
  • Armed And Dangerous (20):
    Defeat at least 200 enemies using interactive objects.
  • “Chaudown” (30):
    Unlock and call all strikers.

Reviews

IGN
Kotaku

Game previews

scott-pilgrim-vs-the-world-the-game-20101001024845672_640w.jpg

DLC preview

IGN
1up.com
Joystiq interview with producer Marc-Andre Boivin

Bonus! Movie trailer

[youtube]qoFqatfEFrw[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe this is a PS3 exclusive for 2 weeks. Kind of laughable, but outside of the hype machine for the movie, this looks pretty neat.

Wow, the PSN version will certainly be doing a lot of business thanks to that discount ($9 with coupon) and releasing 2 weeks earlier. I was only going to get the XBLA game, but now I'm getting both. :)

Achievements:
  • New Challenger (10):
    Defeat Matthew Patel without losing a life.
  • Twin Dragons (10):
    Defeat the Twins simultaneously.
  • Dirty Trick (10):
    Defeat an enemy by throwing an object at him while he’s already down.
  • Invulnerable (10):
    Play through a World and reach the boss without getting hit.
  • Get The Girl (10):
    Clear the game once with Scott.
  • The Power Of Friendship (20):
    In a multiplayer game, reanimate another player at least 25 times.
  • Gourmet (20):
    Eat every food items.
  • Vigilante (20):
    Defeat all enemies in a World, excluding the boss.
  • One Man Army (20):
    Clear the game in single player on the “Supreme Master” difficulty setting.
  • Shopaholic (20):
    Buy all the items of a shop.
  • Armed And Dangerous (20):
    Defeat at least 200 enemies using interactive objects.
  • “Chaudown” (30):
    Unlock and call all strikers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really hoping there's avatar awards for this game, namely the shirt that they're giving away on the Ubisoft site for Home.

Smart move making the game a beat em up, as those are the most successful on XBL.

I'm definitely getting it when it comes out.

[quote name='HotShotX']Why anyone would make an offline multiplayer game on XBL or PSN is beyond me.

~HotShotX[/QUOTE]

QFT

but i have no friends or life so it's cool

[quote name='HotShotX']Why anyone would make an offline multiplayer game on XBL or PSN is beyond me.

~HotShotX[/QUOTE]

Why not, gives it an old school feel to it where you had to bring friends over if you want to play with them. I just don't have 4 controllers =/.

Besides, they can always patch it with online play in the future.

1200 points. As much as I like this type of game and the property, I'll wait for a sale. 1200 should NOT be the standard and I'll never buy at 1200 again to prove my point.

~HotShotX[/QUOTE]

I can say the same exact thing about games that are online co-op only. Really terrible that most games don't do anything local these days and it limits what I can do with company over.

Anyhow, it wasn't added because of "time constraints" which was probably Ubi being dicks. Wouldof been nice to have online as well and hopefully it gets patched in at some time, but until they do I'm sticking to getting this for $9 on PSN because of a better D-Pad and I can share it with friends, thus splitting the cost.

I don't mind the offline addition as it's great being able to play games locally BUT it's also nice to be able to play them online as well especially at a 1200 MSP price tag...

Can't wait for this, lots of great stuff coming out on XBLA over the next month anyways so having to wait two extra weeks for this isn't that big of a deal.

I'm not at all familiar with the source material, but the game looks pretty cool. I'm looking forward to it, but this will be a wait-for-a-sale game for me. (Like most 1200 point games)

~HotShotX[/QUOTE]I personally prefer the multiplayer to be local for a game like this, since I'll play it with my kids, but I agree- a game like this seems to be made for online co-op, and I would assume that's how the majority of people would want to play it. I never understand when a game doesn't come with both local and online multiplayer options. Maybe it's a logistical nightmare for developers for reasons I'd have no clue about.

Online multiplayer does require extra money, time, and testing to implement, whereas local multiplayer is pretty simple. Sadly the game's budget didn't allow for online play. Still, local multiplayer is great and I wish more games had both options.

Amazon has all 6 Scott Pilgrim books on sale right now and I encourage anyone who's never read them to at least get the first book.

~HotShotX[/QUOTE]
Because people like to have friends come over to play games together.

super pumped after realizing this is just an updated version of River City Ransom with a new Scott Pilgrim face on it. love love loved that game.

sad it's only offline co-op and XBLA has to wait a couple weeks extra though.

The game is out now! I'll be playing the XBLA version a lot more than the PS3 version due to its better handling of multiple player profiles. On the PS3 game you can sign in multiple players to multiple PSN profiles, but if you make a mistake, you have to completely exit the game to sign in again.

actually no grinding is required to build up your characters strengths. here is a money trick that works on the psn: select player 2 with a character that has a money, then player 1 who has no money. go to a store, have player 2 give all their money to player 1, then return to map, then exit game. when you go back into the game, player 2 will still have all the original money and now player 1 will have their money as well. you can also speed up the process by inputing a code to select the same character, so youll be doubling your money each time.

there are also more than 4 playable characters in this game. there is also a zombie mode in the game as well.

[quote name='HydroX']Eh, this game is alright.[/QUOTE]

That's being generous. The demo made me feel like this game plain out sucks. The fighting was stiff and clunky. Totally killed the game.

I'm enjoying the hell out of the game. Though I think it still has some issues, specifically randomly freezing (about 2-3 times so far after playing two hours) and when escaping from Todd and smashing through walls I had to redestroy one after I smashed through it, but that's only happened once.

I beat it yesterday and it also froze on me two times. Sucks because I was going for the achievement where you eat all types of food and I don't remember which store it froze on.

I Know I got the beat the twins at the same time achievement by accident. Since they used their duo attack on me and knocked my body dead on my last life and somehow it knocked into them as well and I got the KO. Though still didn't beat the level...

I had a weird KO glitch too on the Lucas Lee fight, I threw an item while he was on the ground and the KO screen popped up but Lucas still got up. I could move but couldn't hit Lucas anymore. I left to map and the stage wasn't beat so I had to play it over from the beginning.

Oh and don't forget the zombie code, on the "press start screen" press Up, Right, Down, Up, Right, Down, Up, Right, Right, Right. You should hear a noise to confirm it worked and it'll be avaliable in Extra Game Modes.

game is awesome, can't believe i am saying that but it is...if you were alive when river city ransom was out on NES you will love this...love the variety in the gameplay, its got it all in my book, 9outta10. I am a big xbla gamer, basically have played most everything and this goes in my top 10 ever on xbla.

[quote name='lordopus99']That's being generous. The demo made me feel like this game plain out sucks. The fighting was stiff and clunky. Totally killed the game.[/QUOTE]

I can see why you'd think that, but it's mostly untrue. You gain moves as you level up (16 levels) and buying items from stores increases your speed, health, attack, etc. So you just have to build up for a little while and then the game really comes to life.

[quote name='eastx']I can see why you'd think that, but it's mostly untrue. You gain moves as you level up (16 levels) and buying items from stores increases your speed, health, attack, etc. So you just have to build up for a little while and then the game really comes to life.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, like most games. Ive played a ton of beat em ups and I think this is a contender for the best.

The game is surprisingly in depth, and has mucho replayability, the only real downfall is what people have mentioned, online co-op play. You can understand what they were going for, trying to get the classic feel. all for a ridiculous 9.99 steal of a price. Best PSN buy for me so far.

There was no online for SNES or Sega! Get some friends over, even your girlfriend would work! play the game. Go see the movie its simply awesome.

You could get this game and go see a matinee of the movie for the same price as that hunk of shit that is Shank. I suggest everyone do so.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']You could get this game and go see a matinee of the movie for the same price as that hunk of shit that is Shank. I suggest everyone do so.[/QUOTE]
I Take it you weren't pleased with your purchase at all somehow...

Will wait for a sale and for the freezing to be patched I guess. Lack of online co-op is absolutely a dealbreaker - none of my nearby friends are going to give a shit about this game.

I really liked the game once I started leveling up my character in the demo but no online co-op kills this for me. I'm not going to invite my friends over to my house to play this in my tiny studio apartment (hey guys, wanna sit on my bed and play Scott Pilgrim?!)

Maybe they'll patch it in sometime in the future but even then, who will be playing? The drop-off on games like this is pretty quick after launch.

Yes its both versions that are glitchy and freeze. I saw on a couple game journalists twitters last week how they hope the XBLA version doesn't freeze, but it does also. Just google "Scott Pilgrim freezes" and you'll see all the complains across video game forums.

Also the food achievement is glitched and so is the one where you have to reach a boss without getting hit.

[quote name='8bitArtist']no[/QUOTE]
Bullshit! Even the CAGCast has claimed freezing issues and so have other outlets on PS3. As for slowdown, don't know about that...

Eitherway ALL CONSOLES SUFFER TOGETHER NO MATTER HOW LONG THE EXCLUSIVE!

I've personally had 3 freezes and twice were from walking out of a store. Maybe the game has a problem when you level up multiple times in a store via items, since the new move window doesn't pop up until after you walk out.

[quote name='bardockkun']Bullshit! Even the CAGCast has claimed freezing issues and so have other outlets on PS3. As for slowdown, don't know about that...

Eitherway ALL CONSOLES SUFFER TOGETHER NO MATTER HOW LONG THE EXCLUSIVE![/QUOTE]

I've got it on PS3 and I never noticed any slowdown or freezing. I think the freezing was occurring when people were downloading stuff in the background.

Mine happened just randomly. It was basically after a fight and it just froze on me. I Think was replaying the first level at the time and the other was against Todd.

[quote name='n4styn4t3']I've got it on PS3 and I never noticed any slowdown or freezing. I think the freezing was occurring when people were downloading stuff in the background.[/QUOTE]

Dammit! I Typed in caps! That should've been the end of that. I Know my friend while playing the demo on PS3 had freezing issues on that as well and had nothing else going on with his PS3. I Dare say it may vary based on newer or older model systems perhaps?

[quote name='n4styn4t3']I've got it on PS3 and I never noticed any slowdown or freezing. I think the freezing was occurring when people were downloading stuff in the background.[/QUOTE]

No, it definitely locked up randomly. Happened to me and I saw mention of it on several forums. The PS3 and 360 versions have the same problems.

bread's done
Back