Photo
- - - - -

Wedding gift ideas for my sister and brother in-law?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
49 replies to this topic

#1 ananag112

ananag112

CAGS FOR COCO!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:53 PM

So my sister is getting married, and I need to buy a wedding gift for her and my future brother in law. What should I get them? It will be a really lavish wedding and I don't want to appear cheap, so I need to get something pretty nice. I was thinking around the $1000 range for each gift. For my brother in law, I was thinking of getting him a wrist watch. Maybe something like this?

http://www.amazon.co...ef=cm_lmf_tit_2

Anyone have any other ideas on watches or anything else?

I am still not sure what I want to get my sister though. Any suggestions?
Posted Image

#2 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:16 PM

Fuck that. You feel obligated to buy an expensive gift because it's an expensive wedding? My sister got married 4 months ago. She got a hug. You know why? I'm poor and she understands.

#3 ananag112

ananag112

CAGS FOR COCO!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:20 PM

Fuck that. You feel obligated to buy an expensive gift because it's an expensive wedding? My sister got married 4 months ago. She got a hug. You know why? I'm poor and she understands.

Yeah, I am making a decent amount of money now though so I feel like I should stop being a cheapass for at least one day. Also, his side of the family is loaded so I don't want to give a bad impression or something.
Posted Image

#4 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:27 PM

Wow. You sound super shallow.

#5 erehwon

erehwon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:28 PM

What do they like? I usually like to give gifts that they'll really like or get a lot of use out of. Don't they have some kind of gift registry or list?

#6 Brownjohn

Brownjohn

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:29 PM

I just got married, so let me give you some advice. They probably have registries setup at different stores. If you want to get them something that you know they'll want/need, follow the registry. If you want to spend more than anything on there, feel free to buy a bunch of stuff. Secondly, money/gift cards are always welcome. If they have money, then this may not be as important, but if they're both working and supporting themselves, money and gift cards are awesome.

If you don't want to go that route, then think about them personally. Is your future brother-in-law into tech/gadgets? You could get him a nice TV, a/v equipment, PC, iPad, laptop, video games, etc... If he's into his car, you could get him some nice upgrades.

What does your sister enjoy? Think of something she wants. Also, you can't go wrong with Diamonds. Chicks love diamonds. A nice bracelet, necklace, or set of earrings will always go over well.
To each his own.

#7 jbroush99

jbroush99

Old Tickle Feathers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:30 PM

Anal beads.

#8 ananag112

ananag112

CAGS FOR COCO!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:31 PM

No gift registry because the wedding is taking place in another country because most of our family and their family is there.
Posted Image

#9 craven_fiend

craven_fiend

It Gives You Wings

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:44 PM

Are they planning on opening the gifts in front of everyone and making snide remarks about each? If not, then don't feel obligated to get them such a lavish gift. Hell, if they're going on a honeymoon, give them cash and a gift. Something for now and something for later.
Posted Image

#10 LonelyController

LonelyController

lonelycontroller.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:06 PM

Anal beads.

and lube.

#11 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:23 PM

Wait, you're buying two $1K gifts so you don't appear cheap to HIS side of the family? Fuck those snobs. Get something nice for them to share. Like a Logitech Harmony touchscreen remote (hells yeah!)

#12 ananag112

ananag112

CAGS FOR COCO!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:24 PM

Wait, you're buying two $1K gifts so you don't appear cheap to HIS side of the family? Fuck those snobs. Get something nice for them to share. Like a Logitech Harmony touchscreen remote (hells yeah!)

Well, my sister is a snob as well and doesn't care about technology.
Posted Image

#13 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:29 PM

I just got married and there is no better gift than money. Trust me. No one wants a fucking watch, or 90% of the shit on their registry.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#14 Gears24

Gears24

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:33 PM

Yeah i think you should get gift cards to there favorite stores so you don't have to worry about buying something they don't like as they can just buy something they want and you dont have to worry about what to buy them!

#15 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:33 PM

If you are actually wanting to get them something nice get them a nice kitchen appliance (stand mixer, blender, food processor, etc)

I still can't get over the snobish/money stuff.....If that carries over into the marriage it wont last very long...
Posted Image

#16 fatherofcaitlyn

fatherofcaitlyn

Der Uber Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:39 PM

Has your sister given you a kidney?
Synergize, bitches!
Posted Image

#17 Afflicted

Afflicted

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:53 PM

With the current divorce rate... maybe some giftcards to some lawyers?

Yeah, I am making a decent amount of money now though so I feel like I should stop being a cheapass for at least one day. Also, his side of the family is loaded so I don't want to give a bad impression or something.

So are you sure that his side of the family is loaded? or are they just extremely far into debt? Most of the time it's hard to tell.

#18 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:38 AM

Yeah you must be dirt poor running around with that new Iphone. There is being cheap and being a dick.

As far as ideas go, something like a getaway or a cruise could be nice if they are into that sort of thing. If they need help with costs for their honeymoon you could chip in on that.

Posted Image

#19 SpazX

SpazX

13 Billion Years in the Making

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:50 AM

Do you even like your sister?

If they're gonna be loaded like his parents then Fuck it, maybe they should get you something.

And if that doesn't work, then cash. It seems stupid to buy somebody something when you don't even know what to buy.

Posted Image

#20 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:04 AM

George Foreman Grill. /thread.

#21 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:20 AM

You don't know what your own sister would want as a gift? You should know her and him much better then we could ever guess. BTW, don't feel obligated to buy expensive gifts just because the guy is expensive. So what if you're that guy who can't afford a Rolex and a $1000 suit to go with it.

P.S. Sorry to hear your sister's getting married. Must be tough on you :lol: Who doesn't dread that day?

Check out @RealKrakrabbit - Twitter Page Full of News, Tidbits, etc., etc.

Also looking to make trades/sells to anyone who is interested. Check out my tradelist! :grouphug:

#22 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:21 AM

George Foreman Grill. /thread.

Yes. They have some reeeeal fancy grills now. I've seen some with a clock in them and how much your life decreases with each piece of meat you eat. :rofl:

Check out @RealKrakrabbit - Twitter Page Full of News, Tidbits, etc., etc.

Also looking to make trades/sells to anyone who is interested. Check out my tradelist! :grouphug:

#23 help1

help1

What a dumb username

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:37 AM

Wow. You sound super shallow.

I don't understand why you think it is super shallow, you just sound super cheap. A fucking HUG for your sister? That is beyond disgraceful. Sister's only get married once (ideally) and he is expressing his love and joy to her by giving her $2,000 in gifts. That is a major sacrifice there, and is a definite symbol of love.

Then again, I am used to indian weddings, and that is just the customary thing to do. I don't really know the rules with white people weddings.

I would give cash or giftcards. Maybe cash to the sister and a Best Buy gift card to the brother-in-law so he can buy a TV for your sister to enjoy :D.

#24 Malik112099

Malik112099

Got Wife?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:46 AM

Spending more on a gift doesn't equal loving that person more. Wanting to spend a lot to give a good impression to the rich family is shallow. My sister understands that money is tight. Money is tight for her as well. We all love each other and celebrated her union with her husband. Wanting to express your love with an expensive gift is more trying to compensate for not being thoughtful than it is a measure of love.

#25 J7.

J7.

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:48 AM

Money does not equal love. I would be more happy with something sentimental from my family than a $1000 gift. White people weddings? Anyways this whole situation is not right, you should not feel obligated to spend big bucks on them. If his side of the family treats you any differently because of it they don't deserve to be involved in your or your sisters life. If this is all your own thinking I would start changing my thinking.

#26 jbroush99

jbroush99

Old Tickle Feathers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:52 AM

Are you in the wedding?

#27 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:06 AM

I just got married and there is no better gift than money. Trust me. No one wants a fucking watch, or 90% of the shit on their registry.

This is what newly-married people want from what I have been told over the years.

#28 DestroVega

DestroVega

Life is short... stunt it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:12 AM

wrong forum to ask, obviously. I'd only spend a grand total though. 2 G's is very, very generous.

Destro1.gif            DestroVega.jpg

#29 ananag112

ananag112

CAGS FOR COCO!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:47 AM

Yeah, I probably should have mentioned that I am Indian, its a (South) Indian wedding, and its taking place in India.
Posted Image

#30 jbroush99

jbroush99

Old Tickle Feathers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:03 AM

Show up with $2,000 worth of beef steaks and hamburger from Omaha Steaks.