The Official Android thread.

• Please log in to reply
1858 replies to this topic

#91 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:59 AM

I hope so, but with verizon having a deal with MS, I doubt they made it easy to remove. At least you can use google maps still.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#92 weezyweazel

weezyweazel

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:30 AM

I've been looking at the Fascinate too, but it looks like it might have the same GPS issues some of the other Galaxy phones have been having:

http://www.youtube.c...1?feature=chclk

Edit: Got the link from this thread over at androidforums, might help put it into context for those unawares of the GPS issue on previous iterations of Galaxy S:

http://androidforums...gps-issues.html
[URL="http://profile.mygamercard.net/dwangerr"]Posted Image[/URL]

#93 Kuroi Kaze

Kuroi Kaze

Yes, I toss douches.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:18 AM

yeah i read the Epic lacks the issues of the other Galaxy phones but I guess I'll find out later this week.

sig.gif
Sekai wa hiroi yo!

#94 weezyweazel

weezyweazel

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:06 PM

yeah i read the Epic lacks the issues of the other Galaxy phones but I guess I'll find out later this week.

I've read the same. Kind of weird if they're all running basically the same software. Hoping it's not the hardware on the other versions!

#95 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:56 PM

Another review from CNET:

http://reviews.cnet....tml#reviewPage1

The bad: GPS positioning isn't always accurate. For now, you can't save apps to an SD card or voice dial over Bluetooth. Search is locked to Bing.

WTF!? So is this essentially a 2GB phone?

As of right now I'm leaning towards the Incredible, but since I waited this long, I might as well wait till the end of this year or beginning of 2011 for the LTE devices from Verizon.

P R O V E H I T O   I N   A L T U M

LinkinPrime.jpg

30stmsymbols.png

#96 Kuroi Kaze

Kuroi Kaze

Yes, I toss douches.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:13 PM

I've read the same. Kind of weird if they're all running basically the same software. Hoping it's not the hardware on the other versions!

there's an easy hack for the whole galaxy gps issue. my friend has already done it.

sig.gif
Sekai wa hiroi yo!

#97 weezyweazel

weezyweazel

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:27 PM

there's an easy hack for the whole galaxy gps issue. my friend has already done it.

I've been tempted to get the Captivate and do the GPS fix (as well as the lag fix) but I'm waiting to see what happens. Samsung said there will be a fix out for it this month.

#98 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:57 PM

Cheap plastic feel is due to most advanced tech in phones making it weigh less than 5 ounces. Super AMOLED is very light and Gorilla Glass is impossibly strong.

Again, I can't say enough how impressed I am with Samsung's line of phones. They annihilate the competition in the smartphone space.

No, I understand but the outer shell is super cheap looking and feels slippery. Granted a good case will fix that, but what sold me on the X was screen size. It's a pocket monitor lol.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#99 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:02 PM

Have to say I'm a little pissed about all of these things that have just come out after waiting a few months for this. Being locked to bing, not being able to save programs to the SD card, the still not fixed GPS issue. Feel like I waited just the be let down. I could have gotten the Droid X and probably been happy. About the only thing that still makes me want this is the native ability to play divx/xvid files, which was probably the biggest seling point for me to begin with.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#100 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:17 PM

Have to say I'm a little pissed about all of these things that have just come out after waiting a few months for this. Being locked to bing, not being able to save programs to the SD card, the still not fixed GPS issue. Feel like I waited just the be let down. I could have gotten the Droid X and probably been happy. About the only thing that still makes me want this is the native ability to play divx/xvid files, which was probably the biggest seling point for me to begin with.

Yup...I'm in the same boat man. To top it off it's available for $99.99 @ Amazon right now:

http://www.amazon.co...&pf_rd_i=507846

So for those of you with an Incredible or X...how does the memory work using a microSD card? Are no normally able to add apps to the memory card or only to the internal memory?

EDIT: That mysterious EVO looking HTC phone for Verizon looks to be an 'Incredible HD':

http://www.adannews....0-release-date/

Think this is the next one on my radar...*sigh*

LinkinPrime.jpg

30stmsymbols.png

#101 weezyweazel

weezyweazel

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:28 AM

Yup...I'm in the same boat man. To top it off it's available for $99.99 @ Amazon right now:

http://www.amazon.co...&pf_rd_i=507846

So for those of you with an Incredible or X...how does the memory work using a microSD card? Are no normally able to add apps to the memory card or only to the internal memory?

EDIT: That mysterious EVO looking HTC phone for Verizon looks to be an 'Incredible HD':

http://www.adannews....0-release-date/

Think this is the next one on my radar...*sigh*

HTC is holding a special event of some sort September 15 (in London I think?). Hopefully, they'll be revealing more information about the phone you linked to.

I had an EVO for about a month and loved it to death. Had to give it up because I found out my company gets a discount with Verizon that's too good to pass up.

#102 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2010 - 03:23 AM

I need to pick a phone and just go with it, otherwise I'll be waiting forever. If they change it so you can install things to the SD card I'll still consider the Fascinate. The bing thing isn't even that big a deal to me, plus I'm sure that once it's rooted bing will be no problem to get rid of.

#103 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2010 - 06:22 PM

I've been reading some reports online that indicate that 2.2 will solve most of the annoying issues that the Fascinate currently has, like being restricted to Bing, and being able to save apps to the SD card. It's also rumored that 2.2 will be available for the Fascinate by the end of this month.

If this is true, this is coming up on my radar again, now my only other major concern is the GPS issue.

LinkinPrime.jpg

30stmsymbols.png

#104 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:20 PM

I was playing with a Fascinate at the verizon store today. The GPS was having trouble, although part of that was because they didn't have the phone properly set up. After playing with some other phones for a while I went back after they had finished setting it up and played with it. The GPS worked in the sense that bing maps displayed a map and all, but the funny thing is the map was horribly outdated, it didn't have the verizon store I was in or any of the buildings near it. Updating it may have fixed that, but since these buildings are a few years old and the phone is brand new (I'd assume with up to date maps) I guess bing just doesn't update their maps as often. I don't know if it was accurate or not because of this. I'd say it knew I was in the general property of the store.

Every Droid branded phone I tried pinpointed to the outside of the wall I was standing near, crazy accurate.

edit- This article claims that all future verizon android phones will use bing.

http://www.phonedog....ndroid-devices/

#105 Kuroi Kaze

Kuroi Kaze

Yes, I toss douches.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:53 PM

Using my Samsung Epic. Perfect GPS, no issues whatsoever.

Amazing piece of hardware, pure and simple.

sig.gif
Sekai wa hiroi yo!

#106 RuzzT

RuzzT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:34 PM

Tried an Evo for 30 days and loved it, except for battery life, no keyboard and how hot it got. Had an Epic since launch and I am blown away! Not even on Froyo yet and it does everything I need plus some more. The SAMOLED screen, fast processor and backlit keyboard are total win.

#107 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:11 PM

This article claims that all future verizon android phones will use bing.

http://www.phonedog....ndroid-devices/

That turned out to be false:

http://www.engadget....ndroid-devices/

LinkinPrime.jpg

30stmsymbols.png

#108 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:39 PM

That scares me if Verizon is treating the Fascinate as some cheaper multimedia phone. Makes me wonder about updates and everything down the line. Verizon really screwed this up IMO, it's a good phone, but they seem to want it to fail.

#109 Kuroi Kaze

Kuroi Kaze

Yes, I toss douches.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2010 - 08:45 AM

just ran my epic through the most brutal battery test i could.

it lasted 20 hours of pretty aggressive heavy use with wifi on all day. i played a couple hours of mp3 and at the end just turned on the "flashlight" app to try and drain it.

what a powerhouse.

sig.gif
Sekai wa hiroi yo!

#110 manthing

manthing

etc, etc, etc, etc,

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2010 - 06:10 PM

Using a phone on Wifi isn't a 'brutal battery test'.
dont hate the player or the game just hate your salf

#111 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2010 - 08:20 PM

I forgot about this little story, OT really. When I went to the Verizon store, after I'd been there for about 30 minutes or so, some woman came busting in yelling and screaming. Apparently she thought her husband was cheating on her and wanted his phone records to check if he'd been calling some woman. When the woman at the desk refused she got crazy and started screaming at her. After threatening to call the police the woman left, only to return a minute later still acting crazy. It was the probably the weirdest, most unexpected thing I've seen happen in a store.

Edited by Clak, 12 September 2010 - 03:21 AM.

#112 Kuroi Kaze

Kuroi Kaze

Yes, I toss douches.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2010 - 05:59 AM

Using a phone on Wifi isn't a 'brutal battery test'.

constant wifi use for 20 hours is brutal considering most phones want you to disable wifi to "conserve battery life". like i said i was using it really often and hitting all the internet and multimedia features short of just playing HD video until it died. i know someone that watched all of the hd avatar movie on it and then watched another movie so maybe that's brutal enough for you.

sig.gif
Sekai wa hiroi yo!

#113 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:40 PM

Using Launcher Pro (or other launcher) it's possible to get google search back. The only thing that won't work is holding the button for voice search, that requires rooting.

http://www.androidce...ogle-search-fix

#114 Elite Bushido™

Elite Bushido™

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:57 PM

I forgot about this little story, OT really. When I went to the Verizon store, after I'd been there for about 30 minutes or so, some woman came busting in yelling and screaming. Apparently she thought her husband was cheating on her and wanted his phone records to check if he'd been calling some woman. When the woman at the desk refused she got crazy and started screaming at her. After threatening to call the police the woman left, only to return a minute later still acting crazy. It was the probably the weirdest, most unexpected thing I've seen happen in a store.

they could have actually went into her MyVerizon acct or told her how to, and look at past and current call logs...
Why save the world, when everything in it is falling apart?
:applause:

#115 manthing

manthing

etc, etc, etc, etc,

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:17 PM

constant wifi use for 20 hours is brutal considering most phones want you to disable wifi to "conserve battery life". like i said i was using it really often and hitting all the internet and multimedia features short of just playing HD video until it died. i know someone that watched all of the hd avatar movie on it and then watched another movie so maybe that's brutal enough for you.

No matter what you think, using WiFi to access data isn't a test of the battery.

If you really want a 'brutal' battery test, turn on 4G and use the internet like you did before.
dont hate the player or the game just hate your salf

#116 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:11 PM

they could have actually went into her MyVerizon acct or told her how to, and look at past and current call logs...

If it was her phone I'm sure they could have, but as I said it was her husband's phone that she wanted the records from. Plus she was acting batshit crazy, you want someone like that in your store?

#117 Kuroi Kaze

Kuroi Kaze

Yes, I toss douches.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:26 PM

No matter what you think, using WiFi to access data isn't a test of the battery.

If you really want a 'brutal' battery test, turn on 4G and use the internet like you did before.

Fine I'll 4G it up and report if anything goes bad, but so far I'm really impressed.

Did some 4G speedtests from my house.

8227 down
1281 up

Thanks, 4G!

sig.gif
Sekai wa hiroi yo!

#118 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:43 PM

According to sprint's map I'd be lucky to make a phone call from my house.

#119 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:53 PM

I got a chance to play with the Fascinate this weekend and I liked it a hell of a lot more than I would have thought. The phone is super light and the screen looks phenomenal. From what I saw it was pretty responsive, though I couldn't get the GPS to work since it needed and update or something. I'm anxiously waiting 2.2 to hear if the phone ends up becoming the phone I was expecting it would be.

LinkinPrime.jpg

30stmsymbols.png

#120 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:01 AM

I'm pretty sure I'll be getting it, I just don't know when.