The Official Android thread.

• Please log in to reply
1858 replies to this topic

#151 Kuroi Kaze

Kuroi Kaze

Yes, I toss douches.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:09 PM

The galaxy S phones don't seem to be selling so well, so they aren't in low supply. Even though they have the same screens that have caused supply problems with other phones.

my store was sold out of epics. i had to order mine.

Congrats on the choice of the Epic. I bought two and they're performing beyond expectations as a veteran android user.

sig.gif
Sekai wa hiroi yo!

#152 VipFREAK

VipFREAK

Fun Knee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:20 PM

Since you apparently use Launcher Pro too I ahve a question for you, how do you get the little bar of dots for the home screens to show up? I keep having to guess which one i'm on, I thought it was on by default but I guess not.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. I'm assuming you mean the Switch Pro app?

^

That looks pretty cool.

Thanks changed it up a bit though. :)

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"

Trade List

#153 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:31 PM

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. I'm assuming you mean the Switch Pro app?

Thanks changed it up a bit though. :)

I just meant the home screen bar, or whatever it's called, the one that shows you which home screen you're on. I usually see it at the top or bottom of a screen, just shows you which screen you're on.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#154 VipFREAK

VipFREAK

Fun Knee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:39 PM

Oh, uh. I believe when I switched to Launcher Pro it went away?

Trade List

#155 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:30 AM

Yeah I found a setting for it in launcher pro, it's just a flat bar at the bottom of the screen rather than a row of dots. Not a big deal, was just wondering.
Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” -Mark Twain

“When a great genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign; that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." -Jonathon Swift

#156 VipFREAK

VipFREAK

Fun Knee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:47 AM

Ok. Cool. Anyway.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Trade List

#157 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:17 PM

Is it possible to download new unlock animations? Not a fan of the puzzle piece unlock and the launcher pro screen swipe seems to stutter if I use it.

#158 VipFREAK

VipFREAK

Fun Knee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:40 PM

^Puzzle piece?

Anyway,

Posted Image

Trade List

#159 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:44 PM

Yeah the Fascinate (I think all the galaxy S phones) have this unlock gesture where you fit a puzzle piece in a spot to unlock it. I bought this cool case that has a kick stand on it like an EVO.

http://www.verizonwi...chetypeId=12292

#160 VipFREAK

VipFREAK

Fun Knee!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:18 AM

That's cool. Now that I think of it, I'm kinda a kickstand whore. lol I had an Archos 704 with one, My EVO has one and the Archos 7o I'll be getting next month will too. Anyway, the Kick stand is great, makes holding the EVO that much more secure one handed.

Trade List

#161 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:09 PM

Yeah I sometimes pull the kick stand out and hang it over my hand for a little better grip.

#162 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:08 AM

Man, by the time you add in taxes, and all the other little fees, my bill is about $10 more than the actual charge for service.

#163 Kuroi Kaze

Kuroi Kaze

Yes, I toss douches.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2010 - 02:34 PM

The Epic doesn't have any puzzle piece unlock.

I don't think the Vibrant does either, but I'm not sure on that one.

sig.gif
Sekai wa hiroi yo!

#164 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2010 - 04:41 PM

Maybe it's just the fascinate then, it's stupid anyway. Having some mechanical looking lock would be cool, something that actually plays an unlocking animation.

#165 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2010 - 04:48 PM

How are you liking the Fascinate so far Clak? I'm just about to close the deal on it and I'm still having second thoughts.

P R O V E H I T O   I N   A L T U M

LinkinPrime.jpg

30stmsymbols.png

#166 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2010 - 04:56 PM

I'm liking it a lot so far. The bing thing is way over blown, I still haven't rooted mine because with Launcher Pro isntalled you can basically just ignore bing. Just get the google search widget and google maps. I do wish they'd hurry up with the 2.2 update, supposedly to be some time in October from what I've read.

#167 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:21 PM

Maybe it's just the fascinate then, it's stupid anyway. Having some mechanical looking lock would be cool, something that actually plays an unlocking animation.

Since I'm about to get one...(Best Buy will have them for free with 2year contract tomorrow only) and I've hated the puzzle lock screen look, I did some digging around and came across this:

http://www.androidzo...creen_hxov.html

It's $2 but I think I might have to get it. This site is what lead me to the app above. They also talk about a glass swipe option and connect the dots for the lock on the fascinate that might be worth a shot for you:

http://androidforums...lockscreen.html

Also...today I saw this on Engadget:

Posted Image

The Fascinate's ride at the top of Sammy's Android lineup for Big Red might be a short one -- a very short one. Feast your eyes on this monster, said to be the rumored SCH-i400 Continuum, whose biggest claim to fame would be the addition of a secondary OLED display below the main. What might you use it for? Well, it's called the "Ticker," and it'll show notifications and RSS updates (and judging from that picture, weather conditions, too). Naturally, one of the selling points is that you can access basic phone functionality and information without having to fiddle with the normal UI or turn on that big, power-sapping primary display; in fact, the Ticker will automatically turn on when you grasp the bottom of the phone. The Continuum's also got a microSD slot on the side (accessible without a battery pull) and a dedicated camera button, and judging from one of the shots we've got, it might be Galaxy S-branded.

http://www.engadget....e-the-displays/

Looks pretty cool, but I'm not waiting another month...so done with my iPhone 3G.

Edited by LinkinPrime, 01 October 2010 - 01:23 AM.

LinkinPrime.jpg

30stmsymbols.png

#168 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:40 PM

Any one know of any must have apps? Maybe OP could be updated with them and some battery saving tips. I know a quick google search can be done for the battery saving tips but it never hurts to have them in the thread also.
Posted Image

#169 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:46 PM

As far as browsers go, Engadget posted this today:

http://www.engadget....reigns-supreme/

Apps? Hopefully I'll learn more about them after I get my phone.

LinkinPrime.jpg

30stmsymbols.png

#170 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:23 PM

That first link goes to a shot of V for Vendetta, Linkin. I'm using the glass screen now, it's ok, but you have to really slide it all the way left or right it seems or it won't recognize it, don't really care for it much either. Might try the connect the dots thing. I figured some new drool worthy phone would come out soon after I bought mine, didn't think it'd be another sammy though.

I'm using Dolphin HD and Skyfire right now, Dolphin does seem slower, but the interface is nice, haven't used Opera yet.

I can edit the OP with any programs you all think are good.

#171 Kuroi Kaze

Kuroi Kaze

Yes, I toss douches.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:30 PM

wow the default was so fast i never even thought of going 3rd party. interesting specs.

quality apps:

DoggCatcher - RSS Feeds and Podcasts
Shop Savvy - Bar Code Scanning and Price Comparison
GMote - Remotely Control A PC Playing A Movie
Last.FM - Streaming Music
Bloo - Facebook Notifications (Unless someone has something better for this)
Meridian Player - Superior Media Player
Digital Clock Widget - Transparent Large Clock
Astro File Manager - Manage, Delete, Copy Files

sig.gif
Sekai wa hiroi yo!

#172 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:53 AM

If you like the Sense UI, but your phone doesn't come with it then one must have paid app is Beautiful Widgets. Not only does it mimic Sense well, but it comes with a ton of different clock and weather skins. You can point the date/time/weather touch functionality to any app on your phone as well, which saves you real estate for other apps. The package for $2 also includes better GPS, BT, airplane, and wifi widgets with added functionality to boot.

For free apps, G4 is a great one to have for us gamers; pretty self-explanatory gaming news feed. Sports fans either LiveScores or SportsTap. I like sportstap because it's an actual widget for your homepage, as opposed to just an app. However, it's kinda buggy and requires rebooting sometimes to refresh the widget when a game is being played. Otherwise I love it.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#173 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:00 AM

wow the default was so fast i never even thought of going 3rd party. interesting specs.

quality apps:

DoggCatcher - RSS Feeds and Podcasts
Shop Savvy - Bar Code Scanning and Price Comparison
GMote - Remotely Control A PC Playing A Movie
Last.FM - Streaming Music
Bloo - Facebook Notifications (Unless someone has something better for this)
Meridian Player - Superior Media Player
Digital Clock Widget - Transparent Large Clock
Astro File Manager - Manage, Delete, Copy Files

Added to OP.

#174 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:23 AM

That first link goes to a shot of V for Vendetta, Linkin. I'm using the glass screen now, it's ok, but you have to really slide it all the way left or right it seems or it won't recognize it, don't really care for it much either. Might try the connect the dots thing. I figured some new drool worthy phone would come out soon after I bought mine, didn't think it'd be another sammy though.

I'm using Dolphin HD and Skyfire right now, Dolphin does seem slower, but the interface is nice, haven't used Opera yet.

I can edit the OP with any programs you all think are good.

Oops...fixed it.

LinkinPrime.jpg

30stmsymbols.png

#175 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:50 AM

If you like the Sense UI, but your phone doesn't come with it then one must have paid app is Beautiful Widgets. Not only does it mimic Sense well, but it comes with a ton of different clock and weather skins. You can point the date/time/weather touch functionality to any app on your phone as well, which saves you real estate for other apps. The package for $2 also includes better GPS, BT, airplane, and wifi widgets with added functionality to boot.

For free apps, G4 is a great one to have for us gamers; pretty self-explanatory gaming news feed. Sports fans either LiveScores or SportsTap. I like sportstap because it's an actual widget for your homepage, as opposed to just an app. However, it's kinda buggy and requires rebooting sometimes to refresh the widget when a game is being played. Otherwise I love it.

Beautiful Widgets, another good one.

#176 JJSP

JJSP

Beyond economical repair.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:38 AM

Saw a commercial tonight - buy a Fascinate at Verizon, get any second phone free.

#177 pacifickarma

pacifickarma

Master of Orion

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:00 AM

My wife and I both picked up Fascinates at Verizon on Monday, and we're both in love with our new phones. I previously played around with the Droid X, which I found too large to fit in my pocket, and decided on the Fascinate. It's a wonderful phone!

#178 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:52 PM

My wife and I both picked up Fascinates at Verizon on Monday, and we're both in love with our new phones. I previously played around with the Droid X, which I found too large to fit in my pocket, and decided on the Fascinate. It's a wonderful phone!

That sucks...had you gone with Amazon or Best Buy (today only) you could have gotten the Fascinate for .01 or free w/2 year contract.

LinkinPrime.jpg

30stmsymbols.png

#179 Clak

Clak

Made of star stuff.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:07 PM

Wow, Amazon seems sold out now, glad I got mine while they had them. Maybe the demand is higher than I thought.

#180 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:10 PM

Clak, so is it true that you can only install 2GB worth of apps, as they can't go on the SD card?

I know I've heard that 2.2 is supposed to fix that issue, but seems like its still a while away.

LinkinPrime.jpg

30stmsymbols.png