CAGcast #207: Anality

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#91 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:40 PM

That is how Castlevania games plays, you level up your character to go beat the shit out of the boss. You get random luck drops and want to evolve and upgrade. So are you saying that you are not a fan of the series? I recall Wombat saying that, but if you play through the first level and eventually upgrade it makes the game easier. The only thing I do not like about it is the time limit, I would rather they give you a grade for how long it takes you to beat a level. The game is a blast with friends. Well, I am not going to say you are crazy for not liking the game but each their own. Also, the first boss is not cheap, if you took the other path you would not have to worry about being attacked by all the enemies when you fall beacuase you will defeat them on your way up there. I did that co-op with a friend and he took one way and I took the other and we where trying to get all the chests and stuff. It is by far my favorite LIVE game I have purchased, though I have yet to play Shadow Complex...

As per usual, I think you are insane. To clarify though, I think I've played and beaten every Castlevania game that has released in North America. Even the crappy 3D games. Harmony of Despair is crappier than the crappy 3D games. In closing, purchase more Live Arcade games. (And looking at the ones you have played, you are saying this is better than Symphony of the Night, Ikaruga, and Pac-Man C.E.)
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#92 Khalid

Khalid

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:22 PM

He said favorite not better. You can have a favorite game without being the best.

#93 DarkNessBear

DarkNessBear

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:34 PM

Good show!

#94 Davestation

Davestation

Dont Cross The Streams

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:51 PM

As per usual, I think you are insane. To clarify though, I think I've played and beaten every Castlevania game that has released in North America. Even the crappy 3D games. Harmony of Despair is crappier than the crappy 3D games. In closing, purchase more Live Arcade games. (And looking at the ones you have played, you are saying this is better than Symphony of the Night, Ikaruga, and Pac-Man C.E.)

Okay, I just was not aware of your status on the series. I just like that Konami found a way to integrate co-op in the Castlevania series. I have enjoyed all the 3D PS2 games, the N64 games where garbage. We just have different tastes and there is nothing wrong with that and I am not the type of asshole is going to say you are retarded for not liking a game.

You played it by yourself, you played it with friends and you did not like it. I was just trying to understand the exact history of you and the series. I am trying to figure out what kind of gamer you are. Do you like Mega Man? I am getting the assumption that you are not a fan of "Hard" games (i.e. Demon Souls) and you also made a point to say that Castlevania HoD was "Cheap". So if you are the type of guy that does not like "Cheap" or hard games I would understand why you do not like certain games better. I hate "Cheap" games but do not mind hard games. Demon Souls is awesome in my opinion, but many of my friends find it too hard or some say its "cheap". I just say that the game is hard, not cheap. Mario Kart is a cheap game in my opinion...

Also, Ikaruga, and Castlevania Symphony of the Night are ports and not Live originals (I was referring to original games). I have a few games that I have purchased but forgot I owned and have not gotten around to playing them. The only one that I am interested in is Castle Crashers, but I only have paid $15 for one Live game and that was for Castlevania HoD. I do not like Micro$oft$ 1200 point pricing for Digital Downloads. I went to Target today and I got Alone in the Dark for $4.98, You are in the movies (with shit camera) for $4.98, and Tekken 6 for $9.98. So for $5.00 more I got three games. So why would I want to go out and buy "Digital Copies" from Microsoft when they have the worst "Sales" in Digital Marketplace (I do not go and buy stuff on the Wii often, but I think they never have sales so I guess Microsoft has the second worse sales in digital downloads?). As a consumer I would rather spend money on itunes or PSN.

EDIT - Wombat is right, Steam is not a major competitor to Gamestop. Thats just like comparing one Pimp pimping females while another pimp pimps trans-sexuals, sure both pimps are offering sex but it is to different markets and different clientele.

Edited by Davestation, 09 August 2010 - 10:07 PM.

[IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Users/Davestation%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://pid.us.playstation.com/user/Davestation.jpg%22%20width=%22235%22%20height=%22149%22%20border=%220%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E[/IMG][IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Users/Davestation%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://pid.us.playstation.com/user/Davestation.jpg%22%20width=%22235%22%20height=%22149%22%20border=%220%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E[/IMG]

#95 Microshock

Microshock

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:54 PM

If you get a game that you already own via a pack or something you can gift the game. Or you can even sell/trade it here on CAG. So you do get an extra copy.

Is there some underground market for used PC games that I don't know about? Gamestop doesn't even take in PC games and DRM prevents resell from being a legitimate option over buying new. Even before the days of oppressive DRM you couldn't even return a PC game to most retailers for anything other than another copy of the same game due to pirating.

Of course it would be awesome if I could sell copies of games on STEAM that I don't play or want anymore, but it would also be awesome if I could walk onto a car lot get into any car I wanted and drive off the lot with it. Let's be realistic though. It's not like some other digital game service offers you the right to sell your games, and seeing as how we live in a world of greed no company is ever going to offer you that opportunity. And if it did ever happen it wouldn't be up to Steam it would be up to individual publishers.

I'm not talking about buying digital media on platforms with no competition; like XBLM and PSN. Buying their full xbox and playstation games digitally is a stupid move on virtually all fronts because you can usually buy those game new at the store for cheaper or with bonus content for just a tad more than what you will buy it for on their respective networks. Or you can pick it up used for oodles less than their digital price point.

In the case of the console buying digitally is absolutely a mistake. Considering that there's not much of a market for used PC games and Steam's competitive pricing though there are obvious advantaged to buying digitally and especially on Steam. Which while not meeting everyone's standard of "perfection" I think it's safe to say that it's one of the best digital distribution models there is right now and a damned good one at that.

www.greenmangaming.com
They let you trade in your digitally bought games.
Your problem is that you're so blinded by Steam's conveniences, is that you don't see their downsides. You said its PERFECT when its NOT.

If Steam sells you digital licenses, then I should be able to do what I want with that license including sell it, trade it or give it away. Until that happens, it's never perfect.

By the way, trading PC games is quite popular on Goozex and other sites.

Also, once again, people who only buy digitally are blinded by the huge downsides that will happen if everything goes digital. No one will own anything.
Transformers: Dark of the Moon - July 1, 2011 (was AWESOME)
STEAM- Microshocky Origin/Battlelog Microshock

#96 jkanownik

jkanownik

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:06 PM

www.greenmangaming.com

How is buying Trine for $7.30 and then trading it in for $1.46 better than paying $4 or $5 for Trine on Steam?
Posted Image

AC: 4682-1344-1734 (Leenie - Home)

#97 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:10 PM

Hard games do not bother me. Repetition with no progress or little reward is what I can't stand in games. I find poor overall game structure simply unacceptable in regards to save systems, inventory management, and checkpoints. If I feel like the game is actively trying to screw me over, I detest it. So it's not the difficulty in gameplay that gets to me, it's the constraints that hinder a lot of games and make them unfriendly to play.
Posted Image

#98 RichMeisterMan

RichMeisterMan

Umbrella Executive

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:17 PM

www.greenmangaming.com
Your problem is that you're so blinded by Steam's conveniences, is that you don't see their downsides. You said its PERFECT when its NOT.

If Steam sells you digital licenses, then I should be able to do what I want with that license including sell it, trade it or give it away. Until that happens, it's never perfect.

By the way, trading PC games is quite popular on Goozex and other sites.

Also, once again, people who only buy digitally are blinded by the huge downsides that will happen if everything goes digital. No one will own anything.

I don't think comparing green man gaming which has roughly 243 games available for sale to Steam, which has 1100+ games for sale, is a very good comparison. The site you linked me too doesn't really seem to get popular titles either; No Mass Effect, Battle Field, Elder Scrolls, etc.

Not to mention it appears you get a one time download ticket when you buy games from them (I gathered this from the terms of service). So if your computer crashes I guess tough shit or at the very least jumping through a bunch of hoops by talking to their tech support? Steam though I can just install steam, log into my account, and BOOM there are all my games I just have to reinstall them and deal with lost saved files.

Goozex well take PC games, but not all of them. Like Battlefield Bad Company 2, Starcraft II, and Assassin's Creed 2 for instance; due to DRM I assume. DRM is only getting worse so as the years go by I imagine more and more games will become unable to be traded through goozex.

Don't get so wrapped up in my onetime nonchalant use of the word, "perfect". You are obviously opposed to digital distribution on the whole. I think if you ask people that are fans of digital distribution though, or people that are indifferent about it, if Steam has a good digital distribution model a lot of them would say it does indeed have a good system. Fine, it's not perfect, you got me, but shit...what in this world is perfect?

#99 Microshock

Microshock

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:13 AM

I don't think comparing green man gaming which has roughly 243 games available for sale to Steam, which has 1100+ games for sale, is a very good comparison. The site you linked me too doesn't really seem to get popular titles either; No Mass Effect, Battle Field, Elder Scrolls, etc.

Not to mention it appears you get a one time download ticket when you buy games from them (I gathered this from the terms of service). So if your computer crashes I guess tough shit or at the very least jumping through a bunch of hoops by talking to their tech support? Steam though I can just install steam, log into my account, and BOOM there are all my games I just have to reinstall them and deal with lost saved files.

Goozex well take PC games, but not all of them. Like Battlefield Bad Company 2, Starcraft II, and Assassin's Creed 2 for instance; due to DRM I assume. DRM is only getting worse so as the years go by I imagine more and more games will become unable to be traded through goozex.

Don't get so wrapped up in my onetime nonchalant use of the word, "perfect". You are obviously opposed to digital distribution on the whole. I think if you ask people that are fans of digital distribution though, or people that are indifferent about it, if Steam has a good digital distribution model a lot of them would say it does indeed have a good system. Fine, it's not perfect, you got me, but shit...what in this world is perfect?

I'm not opposed to it. Don't stuff your garbage in my mouth. I just don't want it taking over anything. Hard copies of games will always rule regardless if everyone in the world gets broadband because people want to own something.
Doesn't help that a huge majority of the cable providers in the US have caps.

Also, you asked if there was any digital distro that let you sell or trade games and I gave you one. It's not better than Steam but it does something Steam doesn't.
PC Gaming is very imperfect in general now.
Transformers: Dark of the Moon - July 1, 2011 (was AWESOME)
STEAM- Microshocky Origin/Battlelog Microshock

#100 RichMeisterMan

RichMeisterMan

Umbrella Executive

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:45 AM

I'm not opposed to it. Don't stuff your garbage in my mouth. I just don't want it taking over anything. Hard copies of games will always rule regardless if everyone in the world gets broadband because people want to own something.
Doesn't help that a huge majority of the cable providers in the US have caps.

Also, you asked if there was any digital distro that let you sell or trade games and I gave you one. It's not better than Steam but it does something Steam doesn't.
PC Gaming is very imperfect in general now.

Oh so you aren't opposed to it but you completely trash it? If it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck...

Green Man Gaming's only option is to trade back the game to them; I hardly count that as free rein over the content and yeah, it does something steam doesn't but without the games it's a totally moot point. Goozex, as I said, doesn't take all games and the list of games it doesn't take will only grow larger.

I guess there will always be a market for hard copies, but I don't feel the need to own my games in the same sense that you do. My life is no more or less fulfilled by the fact that my copy of Starcraft II only exists digitally.

#101 Davestation

Davestation

Dont Cross The Streams

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:19 AM

So when will you have your review up for Castlevnia Shipwreck? I am eager to read in detail what you did not like. I assume you are waiting to beat the game before you give it a full review. I wonder if you will change your perspective as you play it and beat it. Looking forward to the review!
[IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Users/Davestation%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://pid.us.playstation.com/user/Davestation.jpg%22%20width=%22235%22%20height=%22149%22%20border=%220%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E[/IMG][IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Users/Davestation%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://pid.us.playstation.com/user/Davestation.jpg%22%20width=%22235%22%20height=%22149%22%20border=%220%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E[/IMG]

#102 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:33 AM

Castlevania review will be up in the next day or so. I'm not sure I'm going to beat it. I've gotten to the last boss and died twice and I'm not sure what actually defeating him would add to the review.
Posted Image

#103 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2010 - 02:39 PM

Castlevania review will be up in the next day or so. I'm not sure I'm going to beat it. I've gotten to the last boss and died twice and I'm not sure what actually defeating him would add to the review.

The names of the developers you could possibly hunt down? Dracula is pretty pedestrian I think (I can beat about 50% on the time on Hard by myself now).
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#104 VaultDweller13

VaultDweller13

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:49 PM

Thanks for the Rhode Island love Wombat! Coffee milk is in fact our state drink. Other cool Rhode Island facts are we call water fountains bubblers, submarine sandwiches grinders, our state bird is the Rhode Island Red, a chicken, and the Big Blue Bug is our movie-famous (Dumb and Dumber) best landmark.
Posted Image

#105 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

How shiny are your balls?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:58 AM

I tried out the Castlevania HD demo and wasn't all that impressed at all for a $15 game. It was slow due to starting out with a blank slate that can't do much damage, so I eventually died before finishing off the boss and gave up. I'd think about it for $10 and will just wait for a sale before considering it again.

The updated rosters for Madden NFL Arcade sucked because of the favoritism they showed to rookies, so they generally made recently drafted players starters in the game even if they're going to be third or second string in real life. I decided to not update the game when I saw that Tim Tebow was the QB for Denver when he's not anywhere close to being the backup.

I'm guessing that people would be okay with the NBA Jam/NBA Elite 11 bundle if this was being done next year and not right around the same time as NBA Jam coming to the Wii like Dead Space Extraction with Dead Space 2 on the PS3.

Sony fixed the system updates so that they just patch the OS now instead of have you redownload the OS, so it took me just five minutes to update versus 20 minutes or so like previous PSN and XBL updates. If you don't just ignore your system for months at a time, then you won't have any update issues. It does suck to want to play a game with a friend or online and see that you missed an update, which happened for me with Bad Company 2 on the Xbox 360 recently. DICE released a huge mandatory update to play online that took at least an hour to download before I could play, so I ended up playing some single-player before just leveling up my assault class and quitting.

I searched on Metacritic for a Limbo review that mentioned horror and Cheapy was apparently talking about the Gamesradar review, which I saw on their front page that three of their five featured articles are stupid lists about haikus, sex, and fast games that told me not to take anything they say seriously.

I'm still trying to figure out how to put my DS in tag modein DQIX, though I'm 99% sure I wouldn't get anything from it anyway. It sucks to have interesting ideas like that be basically worthless in the west, so Square Enix should've taken a feature from MGS Portable Ops and based the map generation on Wifi hotspots that are around you and not other people with DQIX in tag mode in their DS.

Good show.

#106 Oburi

Oburi

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:14 AM

Great show this week.

#107 mclazyj

mclazyj

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:37 PM

Forgive me if this is a bit of a repeat, but I have not had the time to read through the entire thread yet. When I heard the disagreement between Cheapy D and Wombat regarding Gamestop, I had to agree with Cheapy.

See, Gamestop actually started a Digital Download service for games a few years ago, to compete directly with Steam. It works similarly to Direct2Drive. Gamersgate, etc. Now, is this a huge threat to Steam? Probably not, but it was something they set up to compete more directly with Steam.

Now if you are talking the brick and mortar Gamestop shelves vs Steam, Wombat is correct. PC Gaming sections in Gamestop have become like the porn section in a video store. You have to go to the back in a corner of the store, and everyone looks at you like you are a pervert. And then when you finally get to the generic, unmarked section of PC Games, the boxes look like complete shit, and they end up leaving half the contents in the package, INCLUDING SERIAL NUMBERS. Score one for Gamestop on that one. I pointed this out to their corporate stores in an article I wrote awhile back and basically told me it was not happening, even though I had pictures from 15 different stores. GRRRR!

#108 sunfiredragon

sunfiredragon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:22 AM

Better late to the party than never I suppose, seeing how the other cagcast is already up. :) Thanks for the discussion of Castlevania, I was looking forward to it, but once I saw some of the prerelease info on it got a little worried. I'm not surprised to hear about the complaints on it, but I am disappointed.

At least now I won't have to be disappointed AND out 15 bucks.