Machinarium for $5 (PC/Linux/Mac)

rawrker

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
[IMG-R=6087]17178[/IMG-R]Shipwreck's 2 Cents: Indie developer Amanita Design is having a Pirate Amnesty Sale until August 12th in hopes of recouping some profits lost attributed to the many illegal downloads of Machinarium. They’ve cut the price of this point-and-click adventure game from $20 to a measly $5 and being the Cheap Ass I am, I decided to purchase it. I’m glad I did.

I’m about two hours into this delightfully animated game and I highly suggest picking it up if you are into the genre at all. It’s a classic story of boy robot meets girl robot, boy robot gets picked on by bully robots, boy robot and girl robot get separated, and boy robot must solve puzzles and cleverly combine objects to rectify the situation. The humor is charmingly innocent and the mind-teasers have been satisfying so far. Best of all, this game runs on PC, Linux, and Mac and has very low requirements. I’m playing it on my three year-old MacBook with no issues. As an added bonus you get MP3s of the soundtrack as well.

:pc:
apple.png
Machinarium $5.00

Right now Machinarium + its soundtrack is selling on the developer's website for only $5 until August 12th! This is apparently due to the amount of piracy involving the game, but still a nice little deal for a great game if you haven't had the chance to play it.

Note: You get downloadable versions for Windows, Mac, and Linux!

http://machinarium.net/blog/2010/08/05/machinarium-pirate-amnesty/

Last edited by a moderator:
Get it guys!!!! If you want to try it out first, there is a flash demo on the website (since the game itself was actually made in flash anyway). If you like old school adventures (not the mindnumbingly stupid tough ones), it's a great game. Plus, the art style is wonderful. I liked the game enough to buy the Collector's edition that was only available in Europe.

I recommend this game at $5. Anyone who loves Monkey Island type point-and-click adventure puzzle games will love this. And the humor and styling is great in this game as well.

I couldn't solve many of the puzzle without the help of a walkthrough guide though.

Awesome. I've heard good things about it and so I just checked out the demo. Loved it. Thanks OP.

demo is here for anyone that wants to try it out.

Man, I was writing about this deal while this was posted. Anyway, it's a good deal. I kinda wish I didn't buy it on Steam earlier.

Nice, I might just buy this as I can always use games for our otherwise fairly empty Mac...

Oh man, this is one of the reasons it's so taboo to play video games. (Especially on a PC.)

As a legitimate buyer, I have to say, I thank Amanita Design for this deal, but I wish the reason for the deal wasn't so sad.

Count me in for a legal buy.

Bump. Anyone who likes fun should be buying this right now. As long as you also like point and click adventure games. It did remind me of Monkey Island like someone else said. Awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='io']Nice, I might just buy this as I can always use games for our otherwise fairly empty Mac...[/QUOTE]

Same here. Bought it for the Mac version.

I own this game on Steam, and I can certainly say it's worth $5. It's a pretty tough game, and later, you may need to consult a walkthrough. Still, it's a fun ride.

Grabbed it without a second thought. I had wanted to play this before, but could not really justify $20. Definitely in for $5, although I feel sorry for them if their feedback is correct. Those type of piracy rates are simply shameful.

[quote name='Kurina']Grabbed it without a second thought. I had wanted to play this before, but could not really justify $20. Definitely in for $5, although I feel sorry for them if their feedback is correct. Those type of piracy rates are simply shameful.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, usually I debate things for a day or two, but, for this cause, I had to jump in right away. 5-15% is a frighteningly small number of legal players.

I've complained enough, I'm sure, but I love the PC as a video game platform. Therefore, it's a shame it's a hotbed for pirating, since it all-but-forces developers to stick to consoles.

Great game, definitely worth 5 dollars. It's quite difficult, but you can access hints in-game at any time if you need them.

And yes, saddest reason for a sale ever. Reminds me of how World of Goo had NUMEROUS "name-your-price" sales (including one where all proceeds went to charity), and it was STILL pirated to hell. And we wonder why we've heard nothing of an upcoming game from 2D Boy...

Picked this up as well. Not very good at these type of games but wanted to support the developer and will cheat (walkthrough) my way through the experience.

Wow very cool. Thanks OP. Ive wanted to get this ever since Giant Bomb did a quick look but 20 bucks seemed to steep. For 5 bucks im directly supporting the developer and getting the soundtrack free!

Technically, the soundtrack is included with all copies of the game. There's a certain folder, if you go in and change the extensions to .mp3, viola. Of course, I have no idea what the titles of the tracks are, doing it that way...

Just wanted to toss my recommendation onto the pile--this is a great game, plain and simple. If you have any interest at all in the genre, I recommend picking it up at this price...

Just wanted to toss in a recommendation for this. I have been playing nonstop since my previous post, and it is pretty sweet. Definitely glad I grabbed it, and it does provide a good challenge at times, as well as a few smiles with the small bits of humor added to the game.

Missed it when they were selling it for cheap with the charity bundle, will definitely get it this time around.

Whoa, did I miss a good charity bundle that included this game?

The only one I recall was when Amanita Design threw Samorost2 into the Humble Indie Bundle mix half-way through the event.

I would say this is still a good buy thanks for posting this. Piracy does hurt for small companies like this one. It is good that they are trying to promote a drive to help them possibly to develop other games.

thanks OP. this is a good deal, it will complete my Amanita collection. I have Samorost 2 from the humble indie sale but yet to play it..

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Whoa, did I miss a good charity bundle that included this game?

The only one I recall was when Amanita Design threw Samorost2 into the Humble Indie Bundle mix half-way through the event.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it was part of a charity bundle. There was a crazy deal for Christmas that you got Machinarium, Samrost2, both Soundtracks and hi-res art work for I believe $10.

I just bought this, figured for $5 can't go wrong and I remember Adam Sessler and Morgan Webb on xplay saying to get it because it was great. I just hope my 8 year old pc will run the game but it being flash based it should. Suprised it is 346.4mb in size. Thanks OP.

Btw, there's actually one part in this when you can kinda sort die, and I recommend letting it happen because it handles it with a joke and you lose no progress.

Also, do NOT run file cleaning software in the middle of playing this. The save files are Flash files and WILL be deleted.

Man, that's a great price for a great game - it really sucks they're losing that much to piracy. I picked up the Christmas bundle, but I might throw another $5 at them just to support a great game.

Bought it without even bothering with the demo. With so much good word of mouth, and the type of game that it is, I know I'll love it.

Right now it's telling me it has 2 hours and 15 minutes left to download. Sweet Zombie Jesus, my internet connection sucks.

[quote name='keithp']How big is the download, and how long is this game?[/QUOTE]

Not sure how long it is, but I think it was 350-400MB.

[quote name='Jodou']I'll wait on a Steam sale; devs lose my respect when they cry about piracy.[/QUOTE]

In for one, great game. Not to flame, but you struck a nerve - How would you like to work 10 hours a day and only get paid for 2 of those hours? It's a hugely pirated game, they have a right to complain.

[quote name='blitztwn36']In for one, great game. Not to flame, but you struck a nerve - How would you like to work 10 hours a day and only get paid for 2 of those hours? It's a hugely pirated game, they have a right to complain.[/QUOTE]
People will vote with their wallets regardless. Pirated game =/= lost sale and bitching about it only serves to alienate the consumer.

[quote name='Jodou'] Pirated game =/= lost sale[/QUOTE]

Ah, yes, the "I wasn't going to buy it anyway" argument never fails to amuse me. "Oh, it's good enough for me to play, but I was NEVER going to buy it, so don't feel bad." If you use it and get enjoyment out of it, that's the part where you're supposed to pay for that experience.

[quote name='Jodou']People will vote with their wallets regardless. Pirated game =/= lost sale and bitching about it only serves to alienate the consumer.[/QUOTE]

Why would it alienate those who buy games?

[quote name='msdmoney']Why would it alienate those who buy games?[/QUOTE]

Good question.

The only reason I would think this would be the case is if the dev were trying to justify a DRM scheme, which is clearly not the case here.

bread's done
Back