Machinarium for $5 (PC/Linux/Mac)

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#31 john_wheatly

john_wheatly

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:15 AM

thanks OP. this is a good deal, it will complete my Amanita collection. I have Samorost 2 from the humble indie sale but yet to play it..

#32 Bulrog

Bulrog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:58 AM

For 20 bucks I thought it was worth it, for 5 its a steal. This game is a ton of fun.

#33 skinsfan56la

skinsfan56la

Redskins Fanatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:10 AM

Got in for one of these. Played the demo and had some fun. To the backlog with yee.
Posted Image
R.I.P. Sean Taylor.

#34 videodrone

videodrone

Na, Na, Na, Na....

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:19 AM

Whoa, did I miss a good charity bundle that included this game?

The only one I recall was when Amanita Design threw Samorost2 into the Humble Indie Bundle mix half-way through the event.

I don't think it was part of a charity bundle. There was a crazy deal for Christmas that you got Machinarium, Samrost2, both Soundtracks and hi-res art work for I believe $10.

#35 ps2emotions

ps2emotions

8 bit heaven

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:02 AM

I just bought this, figured for $5 can't go wrong and I remember Adam Sessler and Morgan Webb on xplay saying to get it because it was great. I just hope my 8 year old pc will run the game but it being flash based it should. Suprised it is 346.4mb in size. Thanks OP.

#36 JAlbertL

JAlbertL

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:05 AM

I got it. I played a demo back when it was released. For 5$ I couldn't pass it up.

#37 Gregalor

Gregalor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:54 AM

Btw, there's actually one part in this when you can kinda sort die, and I recommend letting it happen because it handles it with a joke and you lose no progress.

Also, do NOT run file cleaning software in the middle of playing this. The save files are Flash files and WILL be deleted.

#38 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:51 AM

How big is the download, and how long is this game?

#39 INCyr

INCyr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:46 PM

Man, that's a great price for a great game - it really sucks they're losing that much to piracy. I picked up the Christmas bundle, but I might throw another $5 at them just to support a great game.

#40 Danimal

Danimal

CheapAssing it Since 2003

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:08 PM

Bought it without even bothering with the demo. With so much good word of mouth, and the type of game that it is, I know I'll love it.

Right now it's telling me it has 2 hours and 15 minutes left to download. Sweet Zombie Jesus, my internet connection sucks.
Posted Image

#41 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:13 PM

How big is the download, and how long is this game?

Not sure how long it is, but I think it was 350-400MB.

#42 carpwrist

carpwrist

√úbercharge Ready!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:27 PM

picked it up when the Indie Bundle was live, have not regretted it. Amazing game.
Saying you're really good at Borderlands is the equivalent to saying you suck at videogames.

That puts a genuine closed parenthesis at the end of my colon. :)

Posted Image

#43 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:38 PM

I'll wait on a Steam sale; devs lose my respect when they cry about piracy.

#44 blitztwn36

blitztwn36

hatersgunnahate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:42 PM

I'll wait on a Steam sale; devs lose my respect when they cry about piracy.

In for one, great game. Not to flame, but you struck a nerve - How would you like to work 10 hours a day and only get paid for 2 of those hours? It's a hugely pirated game, they have a right to complain.

#45 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:09 PM

In for one, great game. Not to flame, but you struck a nerve - How would you like to work 10 hours a day and only get paid for 2 of those hours? It's a hugely pirated game, they have a right to complain.

People will vote with their wallets regardless. Pirated game =/= lost sale and bitching about it only serves to alienate the consumer.

#46 Gregalor

Gregalor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:10 PM

Pirated game =/= lost sale

Ah, yes, the "I wasn't going to buy it anyway" argument never fails to amuse me. "Oh, it's good enough for me to play, but I was NEVER going to buy it, so don't feel bad." If you use it and get enjoyment out of it, that's the part where you're supposed to pay for that experience.

#47 msdmoney

msdmoney

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:17 PM

People will vote with their wallets regardless. Pirated game =/= lost sale and bitching about it only serves to alienate the consumer.

Why would it alienate those who buy games?

#48 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:30 PM

Good question.

The only reason I would think this would be the case is if the dev were trying to justify a DRM scheme, which is clearly not the case here.

#49 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:35 PM

I use the term consumer loosely, but for someone like me who is spectating they're drawing a line in the sand. You're either with us or against us, as if the sale wasn't designed to attract new customers but to 'redeem' pirates instead. Using piracy as a shield for failing sales is just sad.

Ah, yes, the "I wasn't going to buy it anyway" argument never fails to amuse me. "Oh, it's good enough for me to play, but I was NEVER going to buy it, so don't feel bad." If you use it and get enjoyment out of it, that's the part where you're supposed to pay for that experience.

You'd be surprised how many pirates turn around and buy the game once it reaches their price-point.

#50 DRM-Free

DRM-Free

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:55 PM

I guess I believed Amanita Design because they're not well known at all, and, at the same time, Machinarium got a lot of attention among gaming websites. It made sense to me that those unfamiliar with Amanita Design might pirate the game instead.

I do question how statistics on pirating can even be obtained; What thief in his or her right mind would announce illegal acts? Maybe this cry of piracy does make Amanita Design's staff appear like a bunch of "crybabies," "drama queens," or gluttons out for more sales. I can't confirm anything, and I definitely understand your point of view, Jodou. However, there is something to be gained: A great game at a great price.

Even if that makes me gullible, $5 was my price point for Machinarium anyway. I get the result I wanted in a way that supports an independent developer directly.

"Good enough for me," I say; Life's too short to dwell on $5.

#51 warfox33

warfox33

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:03 PM

Bought it. $5 was my price point on this game. The original price of $20 seemed high.

#52 warreni

warreni

Eminently punchable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:57 PM

I do question how statistics on pirating can even be obtained; What thief in his or her right mind would announce illegal acts? Maybe this cry of piracy does make Amanita Design's staff appear like a bunch of "crybabies," "drama queens," or gluttons out for more sales. I can't confirm anything, and I definitely understand your point of view, Jodou. However, there is something to be gained: A great game at a great price.

It's my understanding from reading the original AD webpage that the statistics were derived from looking at the kinds of questions that people would post on the forums. Presumably some percentage of the posts were from obvious pirates based on the context and/or content.

#53 vherub

vherub

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:10 PM

I found the story and how it was told one of the best examples of how videogames are not simply interactive books or movies, but their own independent leg on which communication and entertainment stand.

It's a much better experience playing it than complaining over it.

#54 Muitabui

Muitabui

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:43 PM

I only heard good things about the presentation and delivery of this adventure game
In for a purchase and on supporting these great developers
Posted Image
Posted Image

#55 rawrker

rawrker

Supreme Llama Tickler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:03 PM

I use the term consumer loosely, but for someone like me who is spectating they're drawing a line in the sand. You're either with us or against us, as if the sale wasn't designed to attract new customers but to 'redeem' pirates instead. Using piracy as a shield for failing sales is just sad.
You'd be surprised how many pirates turn around and buy the game once it reaches their price-point.

I'm sure pirates will purchase something tangible once it comes cheap because if they have the actual DVD/CD they can always sell it off later. That isn't the case with digital downloads.

#56 keithp

keithp

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:49 PM

And you know this, how exactly? First-hand, personal experience of pirating and then buying later? Or you just hang around alot of pirates?

#57 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:31 PM

And you know this, how exactly? First-hand, personal experience of pirating and then buying later? Or you just hang around alot of pirates?

All of the above.

Nowadays, I just buy games when they drop in price since I don't play as much, though.

#58 mikeyscheap

mikeyscheap

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:54 PM

A warning about purchasing this through them vs Steam; you can only download the game and soundtrack for up to two weeks after they send you the email confirmation. After that, you are out of luck, unless you email customer service, saying your hard drive was reformatted, or something like that. I went through this in December after I purchased it before X-mas and discovered that I couldn't download it on Xmas break. The first email wasn't returned, but the second one eventually allowed me to download it.

True, it's not as easy and convenient as Steam, so just be sure to download it and burn it to a CD sooner, rather than later.

#59 Gregalor

Gregalor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:18 AM

A warning about purchasing this through them vs Steam; you can only download the game and soundtrack for up to two weeks after they send you the email confirmation. After that, you are out of luck, unless you email customer service, saying your hard drive was reformatted, or something like that. I went through this in December after I purchased it before X-mas and discovered that I couldn't download it on Xmas break. The first email wasn't returned, but the second one eventually allowed me to download it.

True, it's not as easy and convenient as Steam, so just be sure to download it and burn it to a CD sooner, rather than later.

Stuff like this is the reason why I try to stick with Steam. Some people prefer the "freedom" of their digital games just being files that they download... I see it as a downside and prefer a client. I don't like having to keep track of and worry about some file, not losing it and such.

#60 Jaysonguy

Jaysonguy

Mr. Wonderful

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:04 AM

No, it alienates the dirtbags that steal the game

You want to support the people who steal games that's your decision