CAGcast #208: C*********s 101

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#91 firehawk12

firehawk12

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:32 AM

I'm sorry, but Shipwreck's how to pay 50% less for Xbox Live games thread is still up... and isn't that the same thing?

But yeah, it's very sketch either way.

#92 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 14 August 2010 - 02:55 AM

I'm sorry, but Shipwreck's how to pay 50% less for Xbox Live games thread is still up... and isn't that the same thing?

But yeah, it's very sketch either way.

Nope, that's completely within the intent and rules of the EULA of Microsoft XBLA games. It's not sketchy, it's knowing the rules of the DRM system that's in place on Live.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#93 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:15 AM

Holy shit that guide's more complicated than some of my Econometrics textbooks from University.

Anyone who can follow that thru to the end deserves to get a half-price game.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#94 Microshock

Microshock

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2010 - 04:38 AM

Nope, that's completely within the intent and rules of the EULA of Microsoft XBLA games. It's not sketchy, it's knowing the rules of the DRM system that's in place on Live.

Really? That's not sketchy? So basically giving another person a game for free is fine but using a glitch that's found online to get free games isn't? PSN gamesharing lets up to 4 other people get free games as well!

Uh huh. I think publishers sending you games non-stop is kinda of messing with your head.

Also, I think this is a fair time to criticize the "value rating system" for reviews.
How can you honestly rate a game with a cash value if you don't pay for it?

You don't feel any of the regret from buying a bad game and wasting the money. If I got something for free and didn't like it, i wouldnt say, i'd pay 5 bucks for it, i'd say "ITS A GOOD THINGS ITS FREE".
If a game is bad, it's bad. There should not be a cash value placed on it. You wouldn't buy some shitty food cause it's cheap as hell so what's the difference?
Transformers: Dark of the Moon - July 1, 2011 (was AWESOME)
STEAM- Microshocky Origin/Battlelog Microshock

#95 firehawk12

firehawk12

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2010 - 05:17 AM

Well, I don't think MS ever thought that two people would use it to share games, but fair enough.

I do agree that actually telling people how to get free SNK games was the really broken part. Although I wonder who SNK can go after in this case, if anyone.

#96 NickPedro

NickPedro

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2010 - 05:22 AM

Thanks for reading my question about the Japanese trains, Cheapy. I don't know what possessed me to write the word "shit" twice in my tweet to you but I guess it did make it sound all "street-like." It was hilarious that you were doing your Saint's Row voice acting right before you read it and it played right in. Made my day. Freaking hilarious! Great show as usual guys and stay gangsta.

#97 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 14 August 2010 - 05:57 AM

You wouldn't buy some shitty food cause it's cheap as hell so what's the difference?

McDonalds seems to be doing pretty well.

People have lower expectations from cheap food. Likewise, if you pay $10 for a game, you might be more likely to be satisfied by your purchase even if the game is mediocre.

You guys regularly talk about how you abuse the 5x download feature on psn, to get extra copies for free. Sure, you dont tell people how to do it, but you talk about it on the show regularly(if not psn sharing, then .torrenting movies), which makes it more 'legit' to do - hey, if cheapyd is doing so, I can do it as well.

Here's what SCEA president Jack Tretton told Wired right before PS3's launch:

"You can send that content to four other friends for that initial investment," said Tretton. "We want to get the game in as many hands as possible."

"It's not about generating profits at each and every interaction with the consumer," he said. "I think that really offsets the argument that says, 'Wow, that's a really pricey system.'"

http://www.wired.com...ony-disables-g/

Edited by CheapyD, 14 August 2010 - 06:09 AM.

#98 colkdry

colkdry

Posted 14 August 2010 - 06:09 AM

Hey Guys
This was an awesome show
Cheapy, your role of a street guy in saints row 3 was priceless
I'm buying the game just to hear what other ridiculous "street talk" you'll be saying.
KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK :D

#99 DietCokeJunkey

DietCokeJunkey

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:41 AM

Really? That's not sketchy? So basically giving another person a game for free is fine but using a glitch that's found online to get free games isn't?

You know what the difference is? One follows rules while the other directly violates them. At the end of the day, Ship's method still puts money in the developers pocket, whereas the glitch does not.

DarkZion9.png

so I decided to see what I could do with it and I got to the end but there's no way I can finish him off. 

#100 Cokomon

Cokomon

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:58 PM

Great show guys. I noticed that Shipwreck was really on target the whole episode, both in his commentary of the XBLA Glitch coverage and just dispensing snappy and snarky comments throughout the episode. Everyone was great this show, I especially loved the running gag about how "Japanese girls are nicer."

Also, get Esteban back on sometime in the future, he was a great addition to the show. I'm not saying he needs to be a permanent fixture of the show, as it sounds like he is on enough podcasts already.
Posted Image

#101 RichMeisterMan

RichMeisterMan

Umbrella Executive

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:57 PM

Wombat, when you hijacked that question from Estabon about living in Japan as a Foreigner I think your mother would have smacked the piss out of you if she had been in the room.

Not only that, but you haven't lived in Japan! So what the Fuck dude?!

Edited by RichMeisterMan, 14 August 2010 - 09:24 PM.

#102 Cokomon

Cokomon

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:10 PM

True, but he's heard Cheapy talk and complain about it enough that he has vicariously lived there.
Posted Image

#103 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:46 PM

Yeah, he was just making fun of Cheapy, not pretending he knows more about life in Japan than the guest who lives in Japan.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#104 theytookourjobz

theytookourjobz

We Gotta Go Back

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:57 PM

People have lower expectations from cheap food. Likewise, if you pay $10 for a game, you might be more likely to be satisfied by your purchase even if the game is mediocre.

"You can send that content to four other friends for that initial investment," said Tretton. "We want to get the game in as many hands as possible."

"It's not about generating profits at each and every interaction with the consumer," he said. "I think that really offsets the argument that says, 'Wow, that's a really pricey system.'"

So SCEA is OK with it, but what about the devs?

#105 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:32 PM

Wombat, when you hijacked that question from Estabon about living in Japan as a Foreigner I think your mother would have smacked the piss out of you if she had been in the room.

#106 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:50 PM

Haha, I asked that question. Wombat was just joking around and repeating what Cheapy said in previous podcasts. Estabon answered it at the end anyways and it was a good answer. It's all good. 8-)
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#107 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:32 PM

360 issue - dead horse
PS3 issue - not a dead horse

Don't beat the dead horse. If the PS3 issue had already been beaten to death there would be no need to talk about it. If you're an adult that comes home from a long day of work and has limited time to enjoy a game in the evening the PS3 downloads are a major issue. It becomes especially noticeable if you do the majority of your gaming on the 360.

If it makes you feel any better World of Warcraft has the same issue. It's impossible to play that casually because you get prompted for a 1+ GB download every now and then.

When issues or problems come about with various systems.. you work around it. Having to wait for slow downloads once every blue moon doesn't make the system worthless or unplayable. The last update only took a couple of minutes... so it may not be as much of an issue anymore. When I come home from working, I'm going to enjoy my main system regardless of whatever issues it has. Just like 360 owners did when their system was having problems that were much more significant.
Posted Image

#108 Microshock

Microshock

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2010 - 10:57 PM

McDonalds doesn't have shitty food. It may not be quality but it's decent and filling and cheap as hell. You've given good reviews to it on your Youtube channel as well.

But Shipwreck said a recommended buy price for Clash of The Titans was 10 bucks along with a middle finger. If it's that bad, why recommend anyone buy it for any amount of money? So people can torture themselves with a bad game and then say oh it was only 10 bucks?

10 bucks is still a good amount of money actually.
The rating system makes more sense with games that aren't jackshit horrible. Maybe 6 hour games that are GOOD but not worth 60 bucks and would be worth a buy at 20 or so?

But shit at 10 dollars is still SHIT at 10 dollars.
Transformers: Dark of the Moon - July 1, 2011 (was AWESOME)
STEAM- Microshocky Origin/Battlelog Microshock

#109 RichMeisterMan

RichMeisterMan

Umbrella Executive

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:20 PM

Haha, I asked that question. Wombat was just joking around and repeating what Cheapy said in previous podcasts. Estabon answered it at the end anyways and it was a good answer. It's all good. 8-)

I guess the sarcasm went over my head (Just like your video response, Wombat). He seemed so serious, and it seemed pretty inline with the things he does.

You know though, Wombat, I've addressed you in numerous other CAGcast threads and have never gotten a response. The first time I say something negative, or question the way you act I get one. And I am watching Kick-Ass right now. Have you ever seen it? If so, what'd you think?

Edited by RichMeisterMan, 14 August 2010 - 11:30 PM.

#110 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:22 PM

Enjoyed the show + Estabon
Thanks guys.

#111 Terabytes

Terabytes

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:59 PM

that story about people getting those xbox live arcade games for free pissed me off for two reasons: 1 because these tech news sites are vultures with no integrity and 2 shipwreck is such a wimp. hes a good guy but a real wet blanket.

#112 PepsiDriver

PepsiDriver

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2010 - 12:06 AM

I really enjoyed this episode. The conviction that Shipwreck had was heartfelt and I <3'd it. Along with the other thoughts from CheapyD and Wombat.

Esteban was a great addition to the show as well. Lots of funny bits that almost lead to my death in the gym this morning. Trying to do bench press and then someone mentions smelly vaginas, nicer Japanese girls and general silliness is not so good for my health.

Posted Image

#113 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2010 - 01:16 AM

I guess the sarcasm went over my head (Just like your video response, Wombat). He seemed so serious, and it seemed pretty inline with the things he does.

I don't think you're the only one. I don't think Estabon knew Wombat was being sarcastic either. ;)
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#114 jkanownik

jkanownik

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2010 - 06:05 AM

You know though, Wombat, I've addressed you in numerous other CAGcast threads and have never gotten a response. The first time I say something negative, or question the way you act I get one. And I am watching Kick-Ass right now. Have you ever seen it? If so, what'd you think?

You get ignored because you are an idiot. This time you were just an excuse to link to a funny video.
Posted Image

AC: 4682-1344-1734 (Leenie - Home)

#115 RichMeisterMan

RichMeisterMan

Umbrella Executive

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2010 - 06:52 AM

You get ignored because you are an idiot. This time you were just an excuse to link to a funny video.

Well see, this was the first time I've ever said anything directly to wombat that could be interpreted as trolling to any degree. Usually I attempt to ask him something comic or superhero related because I find him to be an authority on that topic.

So I would advise that from now on you know what you are talking about before decide to address me. If you do not know the flavor of the Kool-Aid then please shut the Fuck up. Thanks!

And Wombat is a grown ass man; I don't think he needs your punk ass coming to his defense or explaining why he does something.

Edited by RichMeisterMan, 15 August 2010 - 05:48 PM.

#116 spid

spid

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2010 - 01:29 PM

I have to admit when I saw the Joystiq story earlier in the week I did have second thoughts about why they posted. However, exploit stories are posted all the time across the tech industry. There are stories of exploits on Microsoft's IE for years. Jail breaking the Iphone has become a cottage industry. We all know about bit torrent because some journalist some where posted up how to do it at some point.

The difference between reporting a security story and a pirating story is not such a black and white thing . The idea that journalist should play ball with industry they cover seems to be a real thorny issue. On the one hand people love to take digs at the big gaming sites and magazines for getting exclusives for the promise of a good review score. While on the other hand you have guys complaining that a story should not be posted because it might hurt the industry.

#117 runscottie

runscottie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2010 - 01:39 PM

Hey guys good podcast! I think at first I wasn't so sure about Esteban, but by the end of the show he fit right in!

Anyways, I just had a quick comment to make about the portion of the show where Cheapy and Esteban shared about their thoughts on Japan. I spend 3 summers in Okinawa during High School and recently studied abroad in Nagoya. From these experiences and others that I know, it seems like in many ways Tokyo is more of an International city than a Japanese one, and so some of Cheapy and Esteban's observations are really dependent on the fact that they are residents of Tokyo as opposed to other areas of Japan.

I think Wombat hit it head on; Xenophobia, standing out like a sore thumb everywhere you go, and things just not being the way they are in America will usually give most Americans reason to want to return to the States. Also, for people who do JET, some get lucky and placed in big city areas, but plenty are thrown into the Japanese boondocks, rural villages where they might easily be the only white person the village people have ever seen up close and personal (besides the previous JET). Clearly, a much different experience than someone in Tokyo, where foreigners are still few but noticeably present.

Little known covered up fact: Every year a handful of JETs commit suicide, and usually ones who have been placed in aforementioned settings.

#118 Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone

Posted 15 August 2010 - 02:08 PM

Esteban was one of the best guests ever on the show!! Excellent show everyone!!!

Here's to a great year of gaming in 2014   :beer:

#119 4nik8tor

4nik8tor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2010 - 05:23 PM

As far as the exploit thing goes, its up to the individual to decide whether they steal the stuff or not.

Yes, maybe a website is to blame on some level for posting directions on how to do it, but ultimately it is the user who steals it, that will be held accountable.
I wouldnt get too upset Ship. These websites are just posting what they think is 'news'.
Maybe they used bad judgement in giving the details. But I would say it is news in any event.

p.s. I heard of the exploit (with directions) first on CAG.
and no.. I chose not to do it. although its tempting =)

#120 snakelda

snakelda

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:09 AM

How long has Esteban been living in japan?He said a long time resident and just wondering how long.