Photo
- - - - -

Halo Reach Limited Edition Guide on sale at Amazon for $18.89 (ships in 1-4 mths)

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#31 paulwekiva

paulwekiva

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:10 PM

Why do people on this site like guides so much? Not trolling, just curious...since there are so many free walkthroughs and whatnot online. It has always been a legit question I have.

First, thanks to the OP. I saw the original price a couple of days ago and thought....wait forever for a clearance bin opportunity. But for under $19...nice!

To the member who posted the above question, I don't usually get guides for games, but my son is a big Halo fan (only M rated game he's allowed to play) and I think he will really enjoy the artwork. Apparently there is about 84 pages of art (!?) in this guide. We don't use it for getting through a game, though.

I won't go to Gamefaqs or websites for help on a game unless...
A) I have beaten the game and want to see what I may have missed.
B) If I enjoy a game a lot, but am seriously stuck somewhere in it for an insane amount of time (rarely happens). It usually ends up being something stupid I just didn't see.
C) I have a game that got shelved out of boredom or frustration and I decide to pick it back up and get it over with =). Example...if I EVER go back to Metroid Prime 2, I'll be using Gamefaqs thank you very much.

Paul

#32 Fossum206

Fossum206

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:12 PM

I haven't used a guide since the days of Perfect Dark...

I'm with mr_bungle as to why people still buy these. Collecting and/or artwork?

#33 karamsoul

karamsoul

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2010 - 01:12 AM

I haven't used a guide since the days of Perfect Dark...

I'm with mr_bungle as to why people still buy these. Collecting and/or artwork?

Depends on different things. My reason to buy a guide will be: RPG (definitely will buy one for that), how much I love a game (and therefore how much more information I want of it wrapped in a spine), the extras that come with the Limited Editions like artwork and commentary, and the collectability of the guide.

Also, guides make GREAT bathroom reading material when taking breaks in between the game. No time wasted!

I'm kind of a big deal...

#34 jsvalmont

jsvalmont

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2010 - 01:27 AM

Depending on the game, official guides can be much more in depth than the often fairly low quality and rushed ones that are on the web. Also unofficial online guides are not always finished within the first week or more of the game's release (with the exception of maybe a couple), so if its a game you are really excited about, hope to get 100% completion on, and want a walkthrough for a day 1 purchase, an official guide is generally the best place to go. I don't usually get them but I wouldn't really blame anyone for doing so.

I am, however, going to get this one since the price is so low (it was also in my goldbox - 17.95 total) and all the additional LE artwork and whatever other goodies there might be. Keep in mind though, I can't claim a lack of bias on this particular game: I am a pretty huge fan who is also getting the Legendary edition and already got the Reach LE headset and a pair of LE controllers.

#35 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 07 September 2010 - 01:41 AM

LMAO, a Halo guide back-ordered a month or better? Sad.

#36 DKRobbie

DKRobbie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2010 - 01:47 AM

Thanks OP! First Fallout, now Reach guides are getting some nice discounts today!

Did the Fallout LE go lower than 23.09 that I missed???

#37 wheremy

wheremy

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:17 AM

>_<.....u people make me sick.....im done

#38 jsvalmont

jsvalmont

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:02 AM

>_<.....u people make me sick.....im done

You sir are making me sick as well! Well actually, its probably just the end of summer pollen, and its not so much sickness as allergies.

#39 Nintendokid54

Nintendokid54

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:29 AM

Meh i ordered the regular version... but than i thought to myself for $5 more just i should just get the special version..

76561198020429748.png

#40 Mako1215

Mako1215

Mr.OneOfWonder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:42 AM

Meh. Only limited print guides for me,.

First, how can you claim prior non-existance to devalue a movement? I am sure the civil rights movement would love that. "Well, there was no movement to free the slaves before, so why is it relavent now?"

518793.png

#41 FurryCurry

FurryCurry

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2010 - 12:20 PM

I know I'm late to the party but it was in my Deals yesterday for $17.94. I figure, why not. If I don't get it I don't get it. If I do, I have a cool book to sit next to my RE5 strategy guide.

Buy everything! QUICK!

Posted Image

Forget the old lady! Shop! NOW!

#42 anarch

anarch

And all that could have been...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:36 PM

I know I'm late to the party but it was in my Deals yesterday for $17.94. I figure, why not.

Same. Damn nice deal.

#43 ragingst0rm6

ragingst0rm6

Savior, Conquerer, Hero, Villain.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:20 PM

For those who pre-ordered the Halo Reach Limited Edition Guide from Amazon when it was still more than $18.89, you may want to check with CS to see what price you will be charged. For me, it sounded like they were planning on charging me $23.xx since that was the price on their "release date" of September 3, even though the guide hasn't shipped yet. Let them know that the price dropped to $18.89 on September 6, and hopefully they'll make a "one-time exception" to your pre-order that hasn't shipped yet.

3G' and Friends Group Lowball is now OVER!!! Thank you, and please remember to leave feedback!!! 

Get a PS4 or $375 Conga Line, proof of payouts to CAGs in OP!

#44 reddjoey

reddjoey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:30 PM

For those who pre-ordered the Halo Reach Limited Edition Guide from Amazon when it was still more than $18.89, you may want to check with CS to see what price you will be charged. For me, it sounded like they were planning on charging me $23.xx since that was the price on their "release date" of September 3, even though the guide hasn't shipped yet. Let them know that the price dropped to $18.89 on September 6, and hopefully they'll make a "one-time exception" to your pre-order that hasn't shipped yet.

Did that yesterday and got the email. Got another one today saying it will be delayed as they are having stock problems. Expected delivery is now October
Posted Image
Feel free to add me: Just send a msg saying you are from CAG after the FR
| Xbox Deal of the Week |

#45 Thekrakrabbit

Thekrakrabbit

Is Making A Comeback!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:33 PM

If the guide ships in 1-4 months (that's what thread title says?), I'm thinking it is useless except for collector's purposes :rofl:

Check out @RealKrakrabbit - Twitter Page Full of News, Tidbits, etc., etc.

Also looking to make trades/sells to anyone who is interested. Check out my tradelist! :grouphug:

#46 ragingst0rm6

ragingst0rm6

Savior, Conquerer, Hero, Villain.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:45 PM

I'm getting it mostly 'cuz I like collecting LE guides. Although now I'm wondering if the stock problems will lead to over-publishing extra copies, which means plenty of guides left over when they penny out...in 2012.

3G' and Friends Group Lowball is now OVER!!! Thank you, and please remember to leave feedback!!! 

Get a PS4 or $375 Conga Line, proof of payouts to CAGs in OP!

#47 ivos

ivos

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:02 PM

iT WENT UP TO $23.09 RIGHT NOW

#48 Outlaw Tracker

Outlaw Tracker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:17 PM

We'll notify you via e-mail when we have an estimated delivery date for this item. It will ship separately. You can cancel at any time.

So far this is the only message I have - no other email so far about any date yet. But I'm wondering why Best Buy don't have this problem since they are still listing both guides as available for delivery on release day? Is this just an Amazon supply problem?
Posted Image

everyone is fighting in the fight night thread :lol:

#49 rockstarnati

rockstarnati

PlayStation 4 Day One Owners Club

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:55 AM

iT WENT UP TO $23.09 RIGHT NOW

Yeah, I just saw that. Crap... Kicking myself. Should have picked this up when it was a little cheaper.

PSN: rockstarnati | XBL: rockstarnati

Check out this thread to get an Xbox One or $480 cash/gift card for FREE! This is 100% legit!

The more CAGs who do it, the more CAGs who get free Xbox Ones, cash or gift cards!!!

Here. Have another! FREE Wii U or $350 cash!

But wait, there's moreFREE PS Vita or $300 cash!

And more still! FREE iPad Mini or $430 cash!

#50 SailorDaravon

SailorDaravon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:12 AM

So far this is the only message I have - no other email so far about any date yet. But I'm wondering why Best Buy don't have this problem since they are still listing both guides as available for delivery on release day? Is this just an Amazon supply problem?

Amazon occasionally does weird stuff like this when something is just coming into stock; in this case I think they have the books, but something in their system recognizes that they're not supposed to ship them out yet. But I think because it was originally flagged as having an earlier release date (I think 9/3 or something like that) it's doing weird things with their system. I've had this happen once or twice with some other guides, but still wound up getting it when I was supposed to.

#51 Mr Dude65

Mr Dude65

CAG Uber-Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:24 AM

Amazon occasionally does weird stuff like this when something is just coming into stock; in this case I think they have the books, but something in their system recognizes that they're not supposed to ship them out yet. But I think because it was originally flagged as having an earlier release date (I think 9/3 or something like that) it's doing weird things with their system. I've had this happen once or twice with some other guides, but still wound up getting it when I was supposed to.

Exactly what I was thinking.
This space reserved in memory of one of the greatest heroes we will ever know. He faced insurmountable odds and sacrificed all for what he believed in. He died so that we could delay the inevitable. His name shall be honored forever, and his legend inscribed into the annals of history forever. And his name was...

Marauder Shields.

Remember 03.06.12.
http://gamercard.xbo...ertag=Mr Dude65

#52 AshDOG

AshDOG

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:45 PM

So it looks like there will be six different versions of the guide? Maybe thats why it was delayed. :(

http://www.joystiq.c...rtans/#comments

#53 Mr Dude65

Mr Dude65

CAG Uber-Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:43 PM

So it looks like there will be six different versions of the guide? Maybe thats why it was delayed. :(

Fuck!!! How will I be able to get all six?????????? This better penny out fast!!!!!!!!!!!!
This space reserved in memory of one of the greatest heroes we will ever know. He faced insurmountable odds and sacrificed all for what he believed in. He died so that we could delay the inevitable. His name shall be honored forever, and his legend inscribed into the annals of history forever. And his name was...

Marauder Shields.

Remember 03.06.12.
http://gamercard.xbo...ertag=Mr Dude65

#54 Outlaw Tracker

Outlaw Tracker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:20 PM

Amazon updated me - est. delivery date is now 9/14 (I have Prime - 2-day shipping.)
Posted Image

everyone is fighting in the fight night thread :lol:

#55 Sharkey1337

Sharkey1337

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:22 PM

Amazon updated me - est. delivery date is now 9/14 (I have Prime - 2-day shipping.)

Awesome, yay!!!

#56 SailorDaravon

SailorDaravon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:58 PM

Brady has done this for a bunch of their LE guides, and we've known about the multiple covers for at least a couple of months, so I don't think that would have caused a delay :P