Windows Phone 7 game discussion thread

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
We also have a WP7 Deal of the Week thread that gets a lot more posts - check it out!

Windows Phone 7 Xbox Live Games

Format:
Game name | Price | WPCentral Review

Now available

Upcoming games
  • Age of Zombies - iPhone review
  • Asphalt 5
  • Backgammon
  • Battlewagon - $2.99
  • Bloons TD
  • Bug Village - Free!
  • Deal or No Deal
  • Finger Physics
  • Fragger - $2.99
  • Game Chest - Board Games (Checkers, Chinese Checkers, Backgammon)
  • Game Chest - Card Games
  • Iquarium
  • Little Wheel
  • Loondon
  • MUSH
  • Orbital
  • Real Soccer
  • Shao-Lin's Road (Game Room) - $2.99
  • Shoot 1UP
  • Sonic 4: Episode II
  • Sonic CD
  • TextTwist 2
  • Time Pilot (Game Room) - $2.99
  • Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction
  • Top Gun
  • Toy Soldiers: Boot Camp - $2.99
  • Toy Story Mania
  • Where's Waldo
  • Z0mb1es (on teh Phone)

Links

Check out post # 2, the WP7 Video Gallery!

Last edited by a moderator:
Windows Phone 7 Trailer Gallery

Current Xbox Live games

Multi-game Trailers - Updated 01/30

[youtube]-9LHIOP2S_c[/youtube][youtube]SFO81s_hhas[/youtube]
[youtube]F1xI6lUdtis[/youtube]

Game-specific Trailers - Updated 01/30

[youtube]q9sTDeJAbCg[/youtube][youtube]vLAKVCcVArs[/youtube]

[youtube]_90FQf3LmBI[/youtube][youtube]nRH_dyxElR8[/youtube]
[youtube]TYGRFAHbpVQ[/youtube][youtube]VziuBsEAx0c[/youtube]
[youtube]VY7N65QPDX0[/youtube][youtube]DLxnB78fvxs[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:
I read on some website that Widows Phone 7 games will all have 200 gamerscore just like XBLA games. The one thing I think is to get achievements and such, they will have to be approved by MS or something. Kinda like how the Xbox 360 is now. It has XBLA and Indie games. So, anyone can release an indie game on WP7, but they won't have achievements. To get achievements, you have to submit the game to MS for certification. Part of the certification process is MS making sure the achievements are a joke.

In my opinion, this has to be done. Crap 99 cent games flooding WP7 could ruin the whole idea of gamerscore. I've read Sony won't allow trophies on the PSP because of how easily the PSP can be hacked. They don't want people hacking every game to get all the trophies and then make the whole trophy system meaningless.

As for WP7 itself, I'm very interested in the Xbox Live aspect. Problem is I just bought an iPhone 4 at launch. So, I won't be switching any time soon.

What I am hoping for is MS putting this same software on the Zune HD. I would pick up a Zune in a second if I could have Xbox Live and these games on it.

[quote name='Hoffer']I read on some website that Widows Phone 7 games will all have 200 gamerscore just like XBLA games. The one thing I think is to get achievements and such, they will have to be approved by MS or something. Kinda like how the Xbox 360 is now. It has XBLA and Indie games. So, anyone can release an indie game on WP7, but they won't have achievements. To get achievements, you have to submit the game to MS for certification. Part of the certification process is MS making sure the achievements are a joke.

In my opinion, this has to be done. Crap 99 cent games flooding WP7 could ruin the whole idea of gamerscore. I've read Sony won't allow trophies on the PSP because of how easily the PSP can be hacked. They don't want people hacking every game to get all the trophies and then make the whole trophy system meaningless.[/QUOTE]

The distinction between XBLA and Indie games makes sense.

Do you have a link to this article I can put in the OP?

[quote name='saunderscowie']iPhone app maybe? Haha I wish.[/QUOTE]

If it goes the way of the Kin it might show up on other platforms.

[quote name='seanr1221']The distinction between XBLA and Indie games makes sense.

Do you have a link to this article I can put in the OP?[/QUOTE]

The very last sentence of this article says the games will be capped at 200 gamerscore.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/18/preview-xbox-live-on-windows-phone-7-and-launch-games/

The bit I said about XBLA and Indie games was just my thoughts. I don't think anything I've read discussed what I was talking about.

edit: Oh wait, 2 bullet points from the bottom it does mention almost exactly what I said. Maybe I did get it from somewhere. :)

Xbox Live features will only be available to devs who go through Microsoft to publish the games -- Indie Games can still be published on the phone for free or however much those devs want to set the price at

this is cool but how will it work? as far as what company will provide service for this? costs and such?? I already have an app on my iphone that lets me see my friends list, whos online and what they're playing, when they were last on, my achievements and when I unlocked them and what not so basically everything shown this app does it already minus being able to play those games on it but don't do any gaming really on my iphone anyways.

Gamasutra has an interesting article about Windows Phone 7.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29969/Interview_Details_On_Xbox_Live_For_Windows_Phone_7.php

To answer a previous question here is a small section from the article.

Like on the console, "there's a demo built into every game," says Unangst, and also similar to the console, Microsoft will be managing release dates as well as pricing and game selection. "A few" games will be released every week to Xbox Live on Windows Phone 7.

What do you guys think the pricing will be? Not sure they will go with low price, I tend to think right now, it will be high from at least 400 MS points to make sure not to lower the value the stuff on Xbox 360 marketplace. It would be so nice if they were cheap.

[quote name='Hoffer']If this doesn't come to Zune HD, I'm going to be pissed.[/QUOTE]

It won't. ZuneHD = Tegra 1 Processor. Windows phone 7 = Tegra 2. They aren't very compatible.

[quote name='thrustbucket']It won't. ZuneHD = Tegra 1 Processor. Windows phone 7 = Tegra 2. They aren't very compatible.[/QUOTE]

I don't want it on the existing Zune HD. Well, it can come out for it, but I wouldn't want that. I want a new Zune HD with Xbox Live.

[quote name='Khalid']What do you guys think the pricing will be? Not sure they will go with low price, I tend to think right now, it will be high from at least 400 MS points to make sure not to lower the value the stuff on Xbox 360 marketplace. It would be so nice if they were cheap.[/QUOTE]

Considering barely anything comes out at 400 points on XBLA anymore, I'd bet these games will take over that price point. I'd expect some bigger games to even be 800 points.

[quote name='seanr1221']Considering barely anything comes out at 400 points on XBLA anymore, I'd bet these games will take over that price point. I'd expect some bigger games to even be 800 points.[/QUOTE]

they cant expect to base the price on XBLA games. Many games on iphone are a lot cheaper. I mean Civilization Revolution on iphone is only .99

I really don't get the appeal of the OS look at the very least, it looks like it was thought up by a 5 yr old. I also don't get gaming using an accelerometer, it would make me want to pull my hair out more than play on one of these portable phones... With that said, I wouldn't buy a PSP but if M$ came out with a portable gaming system (literal make a 360 "portable") I might entertain it. Achievements still blow too...

I think the biggest problem it will have is catching on. When I take the train, it's amazing to see how many people are using iOS devices. If/when the iPhone is on Verizon, I can't imagine how popular iPhones will be.

I'll be getting one on release day as a Christmas present hopefully to replace my Zune HD and my current WinMo 6.5 Pro phone.

Choosing to go with GSM only providers until the first half of next year is suicide imo.

ios is popular but boring and restrictive (I'd rather have a daily colonoscopy than use itunes). Android is.... who the hell thought it's a good idea to run everything, even the OS, inside a java VM?! And it's as clunky as Winmo 6.

I am waiting for the next WebOS device. With HP's deep pockets, Palm should have enough resources to properly launch it this time. It's, by far, the best and most open mobile OS - all things considered.

Wow that looks absolutely crap tastic anyone see the Lag?

WP7 Failure.

- No Copy and paste
- No multi tastiking
- No tethering

exactly the same Weaknesses they claimed made the iPhone a deal breaker.

Whats their excuse now?? to Defend this.

Well they say yes the iPhone had the same weaknesses BUT it sold hundreds of Millions.

I'm watching the press conference live right now, and I've gotta say, everything looks really nice. I'm thinking that I'm gonna pick up an HTC HD7 to replace my Blackberry that I'm not really happy with.

Overall, the OS looks interesting. On the one hand, it's a bit bland. On the other, it'll be easy to navigate and use, especially with just one hand. One thing I've always absolutely hated about doing things on my iPod Touch is that it's not always easy at a glance to see if I have an email or app update or something. Doesn't look like you'll have this problem with WP7.

I was really interested in WP7 until they announced a GSM only launch. I'm on sprint and refuse to leave (too good of a deal).

To make matters worse, rumor has it that because of how strict ms is going to be with hardware specs, once it does hit CDMA/Sprint next year the hardware (CPU) will be nearly a year old.

Lame.

I'm curious how restrictive MS will be with the hardware specs in the future.

Android has a new superphone revealed every other week. Like, will a WP7 phone shown next summer be able to use Tegra2 processors?

The Live integration looks pretty cool. Definitely would enjoy playing games on the go and earn achievements.

Also, cool, early 2011 and they'll be adding in copy/paste. At least that means they were listening to people complaining about the initial lack for it.

Just unlocked my Blackberry so that in November I can throw it up on eBay and pick up a WP7 phone (likely the HD7 at this point).

My guess is we'll get gaming news when people get to play with them hands on. The Xbox Live integration was just a small part of his presentation.

[quote name='seanr1221']My guess is we'll get gaming news when people get to play with them hands on. The Xbox Live integration was just a small part of his presentation.[/QUOTE]

Which just goes to show how Microsoft is still a few years behind the competition. How much of the new iPhone events were dedicated to gaming the past few year? Quite a bit.

Dedicating so much of the presentation to apps already on other platforms and ignoring the gaming aspect was a bad move IMO.

[quote name='manthing']Which just goes to show how Microsoft is still a few years behind the competition. How much of the new iPhone events were dedicated to gaming the past few year? Quite a bit.

Dedicating so much of the presentation to apps already on other platforms and ignoring the gaming aspect was a bad move IMO.[/QUOTE]

I agree, only because I wanted to see more about the xbox integration.

I wouldn't be able to upgrade until January anyway, which should make the decision easier (if it's DOA, Live support fizzles out, hardware/software issues).

If I have to run bootcamp on my iMac just to upload music, I'd be pretty annoyed and that alone might make my decision for me.

bread's done
Back