Windows Phone 7 game discussion thread

• Please log in to reply
434 replies to this topic

#91 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2010 - 12:32 AM

Guess what. The phone getting hot would be due to the phone's designer, not Microsoft. And man, that was a stupid post, dude. You should pat yourself on the back if that's what you were going for.

Stop trying to make sense, man. There's no place for that on internet message boards.

#92 TurboPascal

TurboPascal

No Guts No Glory!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:37 PM

Going to wait until they fix the SD thing before I get the focus. Also would like to see what they are going to do about downloadable ringtones.

There will be update sometime in January

#93 TurboPascal

TurboPascal

No Guts No Glory!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:39 PM

Are there any other Windows Phone 7 developers here, or just end users?

I am in the process of developing in SilverLight for WP7 for some business apps but I am so darn busy have yet to try to develop a game but I have some Italian Card games I learned as a kid that I would love to develop

#94 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:28 PM

I just picked up the Focus this weekend after my girlfriend sent my iPhone 3g for a swim while it was charging, frying it and the SIM.

It was a toss-up between the iPhone 4 and the Focus, and while I'm familiar with the iPhone, I wanted to try something different (and getting an additional $50 off helped too).

After a few days of having it, I love it. The screen is amazing, the UI is sleek and smooth, and I've always preferred the Zune interface to the iPod's. Also, I have yet to drop a single call, or even lose coverage in the same spots where my iPhone failed me constantly.

My complaints?

1) Charging is a pain. Via USB it isn't feasible, is it barely outputs enough to keep up with the phone's consumption. So the only real way to charge is from the wall or the car charger. On the plus side, you can sync the phone wirelessly, so long as you have your PC on a wifi network. After 10 minutes plugged into the wall, the phone connects with the Zune software to sync. This feature is pretty snazzy.

2) Lack of apps. Some of my favorite apps from the iPhone are not available. Seeing as the phone has only been out a few weeks, I'm certain this will change in the near future, for the most part.

3) Custom ringtones. The selection of ringtones on the phone is pretty large, but they're all rather generic. But from I've read, as well as what is posted above, the update in January will tackle this, along with many other issues.

There are a few other little annoyances, but nothing I can't adjust to.

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#95 intoxicated662

intoxicated662

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:27 AM

both phones (focus & surround) look and seem poorly designed and made. For that price, i'd wait it out and i'm sticking to my iphone 4 for now. I had big hopes for this idea but i'll pass on it. It seems to be more like a Zune HD Phone. I guess it is catering to those who want to play games on the go and earn achievements as well while on the go and what not.

#96 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:06 AM

Don't know where you're getting that opinion, Intoxicated. Reviews of the Focus are almost entirely positive.

Anybody try to LG Quantum? I'm interested in its keyboard, though the 3.5 inch screen (as opposed to 4 inches like other models) is a downer.

#97 porieux

porieux

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:12 AM

I feel like this kind of waters down the meaning of the Xbox 360 achievement system in some ways. Of course, I think that about including PC games as well.... Oh well, whatever.

#98 bigdaddybruce44

bigdaddybruce44

Murders & Executions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:58 AM

Yeah, but a lot of things already water down the meaning, anyway. You have games with insanely easy achievements, like that Last Airbender game where you can get all 1000 GS in a like a minute or something. And then you have people who boost and trade achievements, which kind of goes against the whole idea of "achieving" them.

Doesn't stop me from being an achievement whore. Just saying.

#99 porieux

porieux

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:36 AM

^ I agree but at least those things are done on the same platform. It doesn't stop me from having fun with it either though.

#100 DoubleJG

DoubleJG

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:53 AM

Achievements on the go? Funny, lol.

Posted Image

#101 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:13 AM

Well, I retract my praise for the phone. While I like alot about it, the battery/charging issue is becoming quite the deal breaker.

Even with minimal use, and being plugged in most of the day while I'm at work, the battery is still almost half dead at this point. This is with manual retrieving email, wifi off, etc. And I've talked maybe a whole 20 minutes on it. All this and then taking 3-4 hours to fully charge? No thanks.

Looks like I'm going back to AT&T tomorrow to swap it for an iPhone 4. Unfortunate because I was really liking the phone, other than this.

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#102 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:20 AM

Spooge, maybe you just got a defective battery. Others in this thread don't seem to have the same battery problem.

#103 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:37 AM

Pocket God is coming with Live support:

http://wmpoweruser.c...indows-phone-7/

Pocket God Achievements

Also, here's a great site for keeping track of what games and apps are actually available on the marketplace:

http://wp7applist.com/

#104 jkimrey

jkimrey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:25 AM

I'd like to see a section devoted to WP7 under Microsoft Gaming.

Is that possible?

#105 intoxicated662

intoxicated662

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:35 AM

anyone have the HTC HD7 for T-Mobile? I have an iphone 4 and wanna know if it's worth making the change. I mainly use it right now for music (as an ipod) and can live without the other features. Another thing is, I already have t-mobile service and would prefer a smart phone instead of waiting for an unlock to come out for the iphone 4.

#106 dabamus

dabamus

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:35 AM

Just being as cleaver as they are with their advertising. It's fun stuff really.

Leave Beaver alone!
Posted Image

Posted Image

Too bad I see him being hit by a parked bus in the near future.

#107 starmask2k3

starmask2k3

CAG MASTER'S

• Trading Ban

Posted 13 December 2010 - 03:42 AM

So how much is it

#108 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:34 AM

anyone have the HTC HD7 for T-Mobile? I have an iphone 4 and wanna know if it's worth making the change. I mainly use it right now for music (as an ipod) and can live without the other features. Another thing is, I already have t-mobile service and would prefer a smart phone instead of waiting for an unlock to come out for the iphone 4.

I hear it's inferior features-wise to the Samsung Focus, but I couldn't tell you exactly how. I'm sure Engadget has reviewed it though.

#109 jkimrey

jkimrey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:34 AM

I don't have an HD7, but I do have a Samsung Focus, and I can tell you that I love the phone.

One of the main reasons, of course, is the OS. It's awesome.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with any phone running WP7.

#110 intoxicated662

intoxicated662

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:08 AM

I already have an app on my ip4 that lets me see who's on xbl and all that good stuff. I don't do much gaming on my ip4 except for rock band & guitar hero really. How's the gaming on a windows 7 phone though? I saw the hd7 for t-mobile on craigslist but damn $350? Forget about it, i'll wait. What's the memory on the phone anyways built in and can you upgrade via micro sd card or what? I don't know anyone who owns one of these phones.

#111 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:47 AM

I've revamped the OP with lots of new info. It should be a great way to keep track of what phones are available and from whom, plus what games are out and coming out.

Intoxicated, you'll find a review of the HD7 in the OP that answers your questions.

Edited by eastx, 14 December 2010 - 04:58 AM.

#112 jkimrey

jkimrey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:26 AM

Excellent! Great info.

BTW - Puzzle Quest 2 and Crackdown 2: Project Sunburst are releasing this week (Wednesday).

Sounds like two new good ones!

I've revamped the OP with lots of new info. It should be a great way to keep track of what phones are available and from whom, plus what games are out and coming out.

Intoxicated, you'll find a review of the HD7 in the OP that answers your questions.

#113 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:25 PM

Picked up a focus yesterday, I am VERY impressed so far. Ive been using a 3g iphone since launch.
the focus is very quick in everything it does, movement between screens and apps is very fast, definately faster than the 3g and seems faster than the 3gs though I only use that phone sporadically.
the interface is excellent, extremely intuitive and simple.

The reception is better than my iphone, I consistently lost coverage in my area of town and in the majority of my house. The lowest ive seen the focus reception is 3/5 bars 3g connection. I routinely lost 3g completely and frequiently lost coverage completely.

The call quality (ive only made one call) could be better, its a step down from my iphone.

It baffles me that they decided to make xbox friends lists require a downloadable app that you launch from within the xbox app. Friends lists should be readily visable in the core xbox app.
I wont develop a full opinion on the call quality until ive spent some more time with it.
at this point my only real problem is the xbox friends list hanging out 2 apps deep, and that is something id expect to be addressed.

Besides the excellent interface, the screen is the most notable feature. I havent spent more than a dozen minutes with the ihpone4 retina display but outside that phone, this is easily the best display ive ever seen on a cell phone. the colors are sharp and vibrant, the blacks are better than anything ive ever seen in a mobile device. The display does a great job os highlighting the big icons and widgets wp7 uses prominently.

I didnt have the highest expectations for the phone when I picked it up but have as a whole, been extremely impressed. It just does a lot of things right, it feels good, its simple, and there seems like a lot of upside to the platform.

My personal issue with the phone is an inability to use it in conjunction with my car stereo like i can my iphone. thats not a fault of the phone, i couldnt use an android phone either in the same way either.
"I am the Walrus" "Shut the Fuck up Donnie"

Posted Image

#114 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:29 PM

I already have an app on my ip4 that lets me see who's on xbl and all that good stuff. I don't do much gaming on my ip4 except for rock band & guitar hero really. How's the gaming on a windows 7 phone though? I saw the hd7 for t-mobile on craigslist but damn $350? Forget about it, i'll wait. What's the memory on the phone anyways built in and can you upgrade via micro sd card or what? I don't know anyone who owns one of these phones.

well the prices on craiglist are of course for uncontracted phones. im sure youll see iphone4's for hefty amounts too.
the samsung focus has 8gb built in and accepts up to 32gb micro sd cards.

Ive had several xbox apps on my iphone none of them are as stream lined, simple and full-featured as the wp7 xbox integration.

for costco members. i bought the focus from them yesterday for a whopping $50.

Posted Image

#115 jkimrey

jkimrey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:37 PM

paz9x,

You can pin the xbox live extras app to your start screen, so that you don't have to go through the games hub.

Picked up a focus yesterday, I am VERY impressed so far. Ive been using a 3g iphone since launch.
the focus is very quick in everything it does, movement between screens and apps is very fast, definately faster than the 3g and seems faster than the 3gs though I only use that phone sporadically.
the interface is excellent, extremely intuitive and simple.

The reception is better than my iphone, I consistently lost coverage in my area of town and in the majority of my house. The lowest ive seen the focus reception is 3/5 bars 3g connection. I routinely lost 3g completely and frequiently lost coverage completely.

The call quality (ive only made one call) could be better, its a step down from my iphone.

It baffles me that they decided to make xbox friends lists require a downloadable app that you launch from within the xbox app. Friends lists should be readily visable in the core xbox app.
I wont develop a full opinion on the call quality until ive spent some more time with it.
at this point my only real problem is the xbox friends list hanging out 2 apps deep, and that is something id expect to be addressed.

Besides the excellent interface, the screen is the most notable feature. I havent spent more than a dozen minutes with the ihpone4 retina display but outside that phone, this is easily the best display ive ever seen on a cell phone. the colors are sharp and vibrant, the blacks are better than anything ive ever seen in a mobile device. The display does a great job os highlighting the big icons and widgets wp7 uses prominently.

I didnt have the highest expectations for the phone when I picked it up but have as a whole, been extremely impressed. It just does a lot of things right, it feels good, its simple, and there seems like a lot of upside to the platform.

My personal issue with the phone is an inability to use it in conjunction with my car stereo like i can my iphone. thats not a fault of the phone, i couldnt use an android phone either in the same way either.

#116 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:49 PM

paz9x,

You can pin the xbox live extras app to your start screen, so that you don't have to go through the games hub.

Thank you. I actually discovered this about an hour ago and was coming back to this thread to edit my comments on it. I still think it should be simply integrated into the xbox live games app.

Posted Image

#117 jkimrey

jkimrey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:56 AM

Agree 100% with you.

I think there is a lot of room for improvement with all the different 'hubs'.

What excites me is that I think they have the basics down - nice, fast, intuitive interface. I like the way the various hubs work (overall) and like the tiles on the homescreen.

In all, I think it's a very good 1.0. Now we just need to get to 2.0 quick. ;)

Looking forward to the two new Live games released tomorrow (PQ2 and Crackdown 2: PS).

I've actually found myself playing Carneyvale lately - it's quite addictive.

Thank you. I actually discovered this about an hour ago and was coming back to this thread to edit my comments on it. I still think it should be simply integrated into the xbox live games app.

#118 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2010 - 05:45 AM

New promo. Buy a WP7 phone directly from the carrier and get a free Xbox 360 game (Halo Reach, Fable 3, Kinectimals, or Kinect JoyRide).

https://microsoft.pr...ffiliate_id=A15

#119 Xfactor19990

Xfactor19990

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:38 AM

hmmmm to buy a phone or not to, that is the question!

#120 TctclMvPhase

TctclMvPhase

Dismal Scientist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:35 AM

Don't know where you're getting that opinion, Intoxicated. Reviews of the Focus are almost entirely positive.

Anybody try to LG Quantum? I'm interested in its keyboard, though the 3.5 inch screen (as opposed to 4 inches like other models) is a downer.

Id love to here any thoughts on the Quantum as well. I like having the option of a physical keyboard since I tend to ramble. I don't midn the smaller screen, although the loss of AMOLED seems a bit of a downer.

Id also like to hear people's thoughts on battery life for the AT&T phones. One other benefit of the Focus is that the AMOLED screen should also improve battery life.

Also, are the touch screens as responsive as the iPhone's? I have been able to live with the onscreen keyboard on the 3G, but after seeing how big the differences can be, I have been hesitant about branching out.
http://www.engadget....ments-for-heig/