Windows Phone 7 game discussion thread

• Please log in to reply
434 replies to this topic

#121 mailman27

mailman27

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:21 AM

Just checked the prices for the AT&T WP7 phones on Amazon and they are much better than the retail price. If I pick one up thru Amazon it should still qualify for the promotion right?

#122 Richlough

Richlough

Posted 23 December 2010 - 02:17 AM

What's the best deal for 2 HD7s from T-Mobile ?

They're $99 at Costco or $199 BOGO at T-Mobile are there any other deals that anyone knows of ?

card.pngl1.gif

#123 turls

turls

Clouds: no, Sunshine: yes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2010 - 02:12 PM

What I am hoping for is MS putting this same software on the Zune HD. I would pick up a Zune in a second if I could have Xbox Live and these games on it.

Yeah, typical Microsoft. A big push on flavor of the year by Microsoft, but my son's Zune HD which is barely over a year old is basically orphaned. There is no reason it couldn't have the same software integration as WinMo7 ala iPod Touch. And you can't get into the full experience of WinMo7 without BOTH a dataplan and the Zune Pass, at least with AT&T.

He's 12. He doesn't need a dataplan because he can use WiFi for when he needs data. But no, we can't have that option. So now his first cellphone is a smartphone-lite with no integration with Zune Pass, which is silly, when he could have just gone with a Win7 phone.

#124 turls

turls

Clouds: no, Sunshine: yes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2010 - 02:18 PM

(I'd rather have a daily colonoscopy than use itunes)

For music management, use MediaMonkey. It synchs directly with iOS. You still have to have iTunes, obviously, but I manage zero music with it.

#125 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 23 December 2010 - 02:53 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if MS puts some stuff on Zune HD, especially if the lower sales of the WP7 are true. Might as well make some extra cash in apps...plus the strategy works really well for Apple.

Market it as MS' portable to Xbox players, and you might have a hit on your hands.

seanr1221.png

#126 FluxDF

FluxDF

"Grrr" face

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2010 - 12:38 AM

What's the best deal for 2 HD7s from T-Mobile ?

They're $99 at Costco or $199 BOGO at T-Mobile are there any other deals that anyone knows of ?

Amazon had them for $49.99 around Thanksgiving. I'm not sure if they're still that price or not though.

#127 chubbyninja1319

chubbyninja1319

Cheap asses be like...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:02 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if MS puts some stuff on Zune HD, especially if the lower sales of the WP7 are true. Might as well make some extra cash in apps...plus the strategy works really well for Apple.

Market it as MS' portable to Xbox players, and you might have a hit on your hands.

Agreed and it'd be reason enough for me to get a Zune. I'm considering a W7 phone when my current contract w/ verizon is up in late '11. If they have a windows 7 phone, that is...
Chubbyninja1319.png
~<{ Whatever we were before, we are now the Inquisition }>~

#128 TctclMvPhase

TctclMvPhase

Dismal Scientist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:41 AM

I ended up going with the Focus. Are there ever any deals on the games?

I like the idea of the XBox Live marketplace, but I am a little bummed that theres a sale going on in the 360 marketplace, which doesnt seem to have carried over to the WP7 one. That and there isnt a lot of variety in the games available, but I didn't realize that WP7 phones were released just recently.

black_swan_movie-640x120.jpg

"I was perfect....

#129 Richlough

Richlough

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:01 PM

Can you play the Zune HD games on WP7 ?
I really want to try the PGR Ferrari etd .

card.pngl1.gif

#130 TctclMvPhase

TctclMvPhase

Dismal Scientist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:14 AM

Can you play the Zune HD games on WP7 ?
I really want to try the PGR Ferrari etd .

That seems to be a negative. I just tried to find it.

Also, I now hate you for bringing this glaring omission to my attention. The current selection makes the PSP Minis program look stellar by comparison.

"I was perfect....

#131 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:14 AM

0kMTFFgMPI8

Fruit Ninja and Pocket God, two iPhone favorites, are now available on WP7 as Xbox Live games. Gotta have 'em! Another new title is Gamechest: Logic Games, which contains chess, Minesweeper, and Sudoku.

Fruit Ninja review

Gamechest: Logic Games review

Also Kotaku has a new article with game recommendations.

Major WP& update coming next fall: http://www.engadget....pdate-in-augus/

Edited by eastx, 29 December 2010 - 01:03 AM.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#132 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:49 AM

Two new games came out this week:

Pac-Man $4.99
Tower Bloxx: New York $2.99

Last week saw the releases of:

Revolution $2.99
Rise of Glory $2.99

Pac-Man is grossly overpriced and Tower Bloxx is apparently pretty janky. I tried Rise of Glory and it seems like a decent 3D arcade flight game if you can master the controls. But mostly I just crashed repeatedly, so I didn't get into it.

BTW I finally got a Samsung Focus and love it. Will try to update the OP with new features and such if people keep the discussion alive.

-Paul Acevedo

#133 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:25 AM

I'd get a Zune or a portable Xbox if either fully supported Xbox Live Arcade games. Ikaruga and Galaga Legions/Pacman Championship on the go would be awesome. I'm currently happy with my cell phone.

#134 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:35 PM

There's now an Amazon Kindle app! It's really good, too.

-Paul Acevedo

#135 Conboy

Conboy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:54 PM

I purchased Fruit Ninja and it is a fun game to play, and my kids love it as well. Nothing like farming out achievements to your 6 and 7 year olds. Daddy needs achievements!
Posted Image

Posted Image

#136 Hoffer

Hoffer

I've got a 10" CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:20 PM

I want a Windows Phone so bad. I want to get XBL achievements on my phone. I'm just not ready to jump from my iPhone only for the games. I so want MS to announce a new Zune that runs the WP7 OS.

Looking at Major Nelson's achievements last night, I saw Flight Control. I've spent hours playing that game on my iPhone. To get XBL achievements would be awesome.

#137 Richlough

Richlough

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:20 AM

I returned my HD7's . Mine had a blemish inside the screen, and my wife didn't like the phone anyway .

Now I have the Samsung Focus and I'm alot happier .

Now I'm just waiting for the Project Sunburst servers to get running properlly .

card.pngl1.gif

#138 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:46 PM

Good news!

http://ces.cnet.com/...027850-283.html

In an WP7 OS update coming in February, app performance and load times will be improved. Games in particular will see much faster loading, the article says.

-Paul Acevedo

#139 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:17 AM

Updated the OP with links to each game's product page (when available) and prices. Suggestions are appreciated!

v-vQBl8WwFM

More good news. Microsoft's Game Room service is coming to Windows Phone 7. Sort of. Instead of the whole Game Room library coming to WP7 at once, games will see individual releases. Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, and Shao-Lin's Road have been announced so far. They should be only $2.99 and each one has Achievements worth 200 GamerScore.

91KTtc9AfQM

Another upcoming game, Fable Coin Golf, will connect to Fable 3 on 360, much like Project Sunburst connects to Crackdown 2.

qgdzO5DNX58

Full House Poker is a single-player poker game (argh) that will connect with the XBLA version of the game so that money earned on either platform is shared. It's also the first WP7 game to use Avatars. Here's a preview of the XBLA version.

Edited by eastx, 10 January 2011 - 04:24 AM.

-Paul Acevedo

#140 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:53 PM

Zombies!! is today's only new release. It's a board game and costs $4.99. I'll post impressions later.

-Paul Acevedo

#141 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:40 PM

Kotaku's run a new article about how WP7 is Microsoft's portable gaming solution.

Also I've created a discussion thread for both versions of Full House Poker.

-Paul Acevedo

#142 CouRageouS

CouRageouS

Rootbeer=Superwater

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:50 PM

I want a Windows Phone so bad. I want to get XBL achievements on my phone. I'm just not ready to jump from my iPhone only for the games. I so want MS to announce a new Zune that runs the WP7 OS.

Me too. I came in this thread because I started noticing some games on friend's lists that I never heard of and wanted to see any news on a new Zune.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#143 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:37 PM

Me too. I came in this thread because I started noticing some games on friend's lists that I never heard of and wanted to see any news on a new Zune.

That was my one CES prediction that didn't come through.

Then again, we haven't heard anything on Zune HD2, except some rumors from Gizmodo back in September, so who knows at this point.

Maybe in the spring we'll hear something.

However, I think MS will have to work on the pricing to compete with the iOS App Store. Weekly sales, even DOTW stuff, would help.

Who would ever think MS would provide the same product that's more expensive over Apple, it's like bizarro land :lol:

seanr1221.png

#144 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:16 AM

WQ4b8RQF2aM

Zombies!!! is a board game with 3D graphics. It supports both single-player and local multiplayer. Babaroga developed the game, which costs $4.99.

Players take turns placing city tiles until a city is built. They must try to either reach the helipad to escape or kill 25 zombies before the other players. Players draw cards that can provide them with weapons (when played in the right location), harm other players by stealing their zombie kills or forcing them to fight more zombies, and more. Combat is accomplished by dice rolls: get a 4 or higher to kill a zombie. Roll less than 4 and you'll have to use your limited supply of bullets or take damage. Dying sends you back to the starting point and takes half of your kills.

Zombies!!! has a Survival Horror single-player mode in which you try to escape the city or clear it of over 100 zombies. It's actually really fun and works great on a mobile phone. The game's 3D graphics are about PSOne-quality, but definitely pleasant for a mobile game. Anyone who's into zombies in general, enjoys board games/RPGs, or wants a local multiplayer game for their phone should give it a shot.

Note: Currently the Was it Worth it? Achievement (10G) is unattainable, but hopefully this gets fixed soon. The others are all fairly easy and fun to get.

-Paul Acevedo

#145 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:31 AM

KlJCmh5DggE

Ghostscape is an upcoming horror-themed adventure game from Psionic Games.

Footage of another game:
hwvJ0zgOZt8

Also I've started adding iPhone reviews of upcoming games to the OP so you can get an idea of what those games are going to be like.

Edited by eastx, 17 January 2011 - 08:13 PM.

-Paul Acevedo

#146 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:22 PM

New games out today. Both are ports of iPhone games and cost only $2.99.

o8XMhEP7o40
3D Brick Breaker Revolution is a fun Arkanoid clone. The framerate could be a little better, but otherwise it's a great game. IGN's iPhone version review

OQ1Hsbv9wXM
iBlast Moki is a physics-based puzzler. IGN really loved the iPhone version.

-Paul Acevedo

#147 Richlough

Richlough

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:16 AM

8 new Xbox Live games coming soon, including Super Monkey Ball 2

The full list is below.
Deal or No Deal
Game Chest – Board Games
Centipede
Backgammon
I Dig It
Implode XL
Super Monkey Ball 2
Zombie Attack 2: Second Wave

http://wmpoweruser.c...-monkey-ball-2/

card.pngl1.gif

#148 GLOCKGLOCK

GLOCKGLOCK

Too many games...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:45 PM

Has anyone heard an exact date for WP7 to hit Verizon? I thought it was 1st half 2011, but who knows if that is still the plan with the iPhone coming to Verizon shortly.

Hail to Pitt!

#149 spid

spid

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:01 PM

My guess is they will announce something around Mobile World Conference, Feb 14-17.

#150 TctclMvPhase

TctclMvPhase

Dismal Scientist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:00 PM

Has anyone here tried deving anything for WP7? Im curious what programs are recommended.

Also, any news on when that update is supposed to hit? I thought Id heard in January, but theyre running out of days, so I was wondering if it got delayed.

"I was perfect....