I want to buy a PS2

mickeyp

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
We had a 60 gb PS3 that just broke, and they sent us a slim PS3 so I just lost backwards compatability. I have a lot of PS2 games so I wanted to get a PS2 can anyone guide me in getting either a used PS2 at gamestop( is that a good idea?) or a new one. My son is really upset that he lost all his saves from the PS3 as am I. Also if I get a PS2 do I need anything besides a memory card? Sorry if this is in the wrong place. Thanks

You will need a memory card and controllers of course - don't know anything about the PS3 and backwards compatibility; you might already have PS2 controllers, I don't know.

All the required wires should come with the purchase whether used from Gamestop or new.

If you have online games, the slim PS2 will work with the internet automatically if you have a network setup disc (this comes when you buy a new PS2). If you get the fat PS2, you will need to buy a separate network adapter.

Something else you might want to consider when choosing new or used: the new PS2 slims (even newer than the original PS2 Slims) don't require a power brick. If you buy used, you won't know which version of the slim you are getting unless you have a GameStop employee who knows his stuff.

The slim PS2s are pretty nice, for hardware console anyways. I would pick one up from GS without too much worry, you get a 90 day warranty from them I believe. You also can purchase a 1 year warrant for just like 10 bucks more.

The slim is better and also reads PS1 discs pretty well, but it doesn't have an internal cooling fan, so it overheats faster. The old bulky PS2 has internal cooling, but it doesn't play PS1 discs as well as the slim, and it be bought new. It would probably be better to go with the slim as long as you don't plan on doing a 24 hour gaming session. The slim can be bought new at GameStop for $100, used for $60, and the old bulky one can be bought used for $50. They all come with one controller and the required cables. On the used ones, you can get a 1-year warranty for an additional $15.

you can buy my ps2
i have a thick ps2 that has a good reader that will read a very scrached disc 85% of the time. the ps2 comes with memory card,cords and controllers. with 3 games.price of 60$

What everybody else has said, memory card(s) and controllers. I have a component PS2/PS3 cable for mine, it's an improvement.

Keep checking Amazon warehouse deals for a PS2. That's probably the best deal you'll find from a non ebay or craigslist type place.

[quote name='Hiei69']Keep checking Amazon warehouse deals for a PS2. That's probably the best deal you'll find from a non ebay or craigslist type place.[/QUOTE]

Aye. I have this funny feeling that SONY is going to keep the PS2 in the retail channel through Christmas 2011 and if we see another price drop it won't be until at least the next E3. I'd love to eat crow on this one but the PS2 is such a good revenue stream for SONY.

It seems like it is going to cost me some $ to replace backwards compatability I was used to with the PS3. How many memory cards do you need and what size? They don't have wireless controllers from sony for PS2?

if you have a memory card adapter for PS3 you just need one card and you can store your save file on PS3/usb drive.

No sony wireless controller

2 controllers and 2 or 3 memory cards (if you are going "official") plus a component video cable should just be enough.

IF you have the intention of playing FF XI, then you would need to go with the phat PS2 + HDD, which is getting hard to find.

[quote name='62t']if you have a memory card adapter for PS3 you just need one card and you can store your save file on PS3/usb drive.

No sony wireless controller[/QUOTE]
So I just buy one of these and then I can transfer saves to the PS3 slim for storage and/or then to my PC. I can transfer them back and forth if I need to? This was helpful info.

I would say two memory cards if you plan to bypass large save files such as those for saving your franchise in sports games.

There are larger third-party memory cards but I would stay away from them. Mine doesn't allow me to save or load files onto it straight from the game. I have to transfer the files to my official card and back using the system menu whenever I have to use the third-party memory card.

I have the PS3 and a PS2 Slim. I've had the PS2 slim since new(traded my PS2 Fat in for it). There are no issues with over heating or anything. It's a really solid system and makes transporting and storage much easier.

I believe Gamestop is selling the PS2's for like 45-50 dollars for the Fat systems and 60 for the slims. I bought my PS3 used from them(knock on wood) so far so good(this was in March).

PS2 controllers are like $15 used, gnabbed a 2nd one this past weekend and memory cards I think are $15-20. Great little system, enjoying it more now than I ever have and more than my PS3 which is collecting dust.

[quote name='astaroidz']I would say PS2 is good but why dont you go for PS3,it has got advanced features in it.[/QUOTE]

Did you even read the first post?

Get a new one. Warranty, hasn't been kicked around, etc. I'm not one to sneeze at $100 but given the quantity of good games, relative cheap-ass-ness of said good games, it's still a pretty great deal. I plan to buy one to keep "new" as a backup sometime soon.

[quote name='Halo05']Get a new one. Warranty, hasn't been kicked around, etc. I'm not one to sneeze at $100 but given the quantity of good games, relative cheap-ass-ness of said good games, it's still a pretty great deal. I plan to buy one to keep "new" as a backup sometime soon.[/QUOTE]
true- new is only $40 more than the used $60 so it would prob, be worth it. How long is warranty on new?

[quote name='mickeyp']true- new is only $40 more than the used $60 so it would prob, be worth it. How long is warranty on new?[/QUOTE]

I think it's a year but the one PS2 I've had go down on me *snicker* was due to user error so I never wound up calling Sony about warranties/repairs.

I have a original launch day PS2, but I will probably buy a slim once they go on clearance so I will have a backup one if my main PS2 ever gets the dreaded disc read error.

[quote name='El1te']I have a original launch day PS2, but I will probably buy a slim once they go on clearance so I will have a backup one if my main PS2 ever gets the dreaded disc read error.[/QUOTE]

Planning to do the same, just waiting for when it happens.

[quote name='mickeyp']We had a 60 gb PS3 that just broke, and they sent us a slim PS3 so I just lost backwards compatability. I have a lot of PS2 games so I wanted to get a PS2 can anyone guide me in getting either a used PS2 at gamestop( is that a good idea?) or a new one. My son is really upset that he lost all his saves from the PS3 as am I. Also if I get a PS2 do I need anything besides a memory card? Sorry if this is in the wrong place. Thanks[/QUOTE]
You sent a BC model into Sony and they sent you back a non-BC model? How much did you pay for repairs/swap out? If you paid the $175 pricetag that I've heard they charge for trying to repair the BC models, then you got ripped off by them for them replacing it with a slim model unless it was a new in box PS3.

As for buying used versus new with the PS2's, I would steer clear of fat model PS2's if buying used unless you're buying it from someone you know and can test it at length, since the fat models were the ones getting the DRE issue.

The slim PStwo's are really well made machines by comparison though. My one buddy and I had 12 hour gaming marathons on his slim system before and it showed no signs of a problem after such a long session.

But if you're looking for extra controllers and don't mind a wired one, Kmart is clearancing the silver PS2 controllers for $4.99 currently.

So they ran out of BC refurbished models already? I hope you got a brand new slim and not a refurbished one. Otherwise, you got jipped.

Go buy a new PStwo. The latest slim has integrated power supply so there is no power brick at all. As for controllers, get the Logitech Cordless Action controllers. They are very well made. You'll also need to get a memory card in order to save your game saves. Make sure you get the Sony first party cards. There is nothing more frustrating than losing your game saves to some third party card because you wanted to save a few bucks.

Speaking of it, I might buy a backup PStwo when stores start to clear them out on the cheap.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']

But if you're looking for extra controllers and don't mind a wired one, Kmart is clearancing the silver PS2 controllers for $4.99 currently.[/QUOTE]
Do they sell wireless controllers?

Unfortunately Kmart already clearanced out the Logitech wireless controller for PS2 a while ago and I don't believe there are any other models that they carry that are wireless aside from PS3/360/Wii controllers.

You could always try Gamestop, as they list several wireless controllers on their PS2 section: http://www.gamestop.com/Browse/Search.aspx?N=139+116

However the controllers from Gamestop are sketchy at best. You're really better off going wired unless you can find a new Logitech wireless one rather than buying one of the $20 wireless ones from GS.

I'm looking to buy a slim. Actually, I'm looking to get it for free from the sony rewards program. I just wanted to ask a bit about the reliability of the console.

I have 80gb BC ps3 I currently use for ps1 and ps2 games. I have a feeling that will not last forever and would like to keep this ps2 in storage until the ps3 craps out and I have to buy a slim ps3.

Is the last revision of the slim ps2 the most reliable and does it have any compatibility issues? I know they have some dvd issues, but I'm not really concerned about that. I'm more or less concerned with being able to go back and play some of these ps1 and 2 rpgs one day and I don't want my hardware to limit me. Thanks in advance for any advice.

After over a year with the newest PS2 revision (bought the Lego Batman bundle when it came out) I've yet to run into any issues with anything other than Taito Legends Volume 1. For some reason, Taito Legends 1 makes my PS2 (and my other, older, fat PS2 that I owned when I initially bought the game) sound like a jet engine.

Other DVD videos, DVD games, and CD-based games (PS1 and PS2) have worked fine.

im assuming the newer versions should be fine cause like every revision fixes all the problems of the later generation

[quote name='jughead']I'm looking to buy a slim. Actually, I'm looking to get it for free from the sony rewards program. I just wanted to ask a bit about the reliability of the console.

I have 80gb BC ps3 I currently use for ps1 and ps2 games. I have a feeling that will not last forever and would like to keep this ps2 in storage until the ps3 craps out and I have to buy a slim ps3.

Is the last revision of the slim ps2 the most reliable and does it have any compatibility issues? I know they have some dvd issues, but I'm not really concerned about that. I'm more or less concerned with being able to go back and play some of these ps1 and 2 rpgs one day and I don't want my hardware to limit me. Thanks in advance for any advice.[/QUOTE]

I have two versions of the slims (one ceramic white and one of the most recent ones) and I haven't had any issues with either one. I don't know of any compatibility problems.

which ps2 is the one with the disc read error or is it all of the old ones? like can i know specifically which modelS?

Just so I don't need to make a new topic for this, I'll just ask here. Is there any way to make the PS2 look any better on an HDTV? I used to play on my old 27", but after upgrading to a 32" 1080p the graphics on the PS2 look horrendous. I tried using component cables and I've noticed no difference. Any advice?

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']Just so I don't need to make a new topic for this, I'll just ask here. Is there any way to make the PS2 look any better on an HDTV? I used to play on my old 27", but after upgrading to a 32" 1080p the graphics on the PS2 look horrendous. I tried using component cables and I've noticed no difference. Any advice?[/QUOTE]

Some games allow you to play in 480p and you need to enable it either in the game's menu or by pressing X and triangle while the game is booting if it doesn't have an option in the menu. Also make sure you have the system menu set correctly to "Component Y Pb Br".

List of PS2 games that support 480p and widescreen: http://www.hdtvarcade.com/hdtvforum/index.php?app=custompages&do=show&pageId=19

If you are doing this and still can't get it looking good or your favorite game just doesn't support 480p, then you probably have a TV that just doesn't scale SDTV or EDTV to it's native resolution very well.

My TV scales pretty well, but I just don't like the way it makes my older games look so I choose to play it on my old ass 32" SDTV in the bedroom. I think that's just how most of the games were designed to look and there's nothing wrong with that. Do you still have your old 27"?

[quote name='Halo05']After over a year with the newest PS2 revision (bought the Lego Batman bundle when it came out) I've yet to run into any issues with anything other than Taito Legends Volume 1. For some reason, Taito Legends 1 makes my PS2 (and my other, older, fat PS2 that I owned when I initially bought the game) sound like a jet engine.

Other DVD videos, DVD games, and CD-based games (PS1 and PS2) have worked fine.[/QUOTE]\

That's weird because I have that same model and play both Taito Legends games on it and it's as quiet as a mouse.

http://kotaku.com/5668749/theres-a-new-playstation-2-bundle-in-town

The $99 Toy Story 3 PlayStation 2 bundle brings together the decade-old console with a copy of Disney Interactive's Toy Story 3 video game on October 31, two days before the smash hit movie hits DVD and Blu-ray. With the holidays coming, it's an excellent opportunity for Sony to grab a few more PS2 sales for parents not willing or able to spend the extra cash on one of today's fine video game consoles.

http://www.amazon.com/PS2-Toy-Story...2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1287627415&sr=1-32
this might be the best deal for a new ps2.

I still wish The new slim PS3 played PS2 games.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ivanhoe']http://kotaku.com/5668749/theres-a-new-playstation-2-bundle-in-town

The $99 Toy Story 3 PlayStation 2 bundle brings together the decade-old console with a copy of Disney Interactive's Toy Story 3 video game on October 31, two days before the smash hit movie hits DVD and Blu-ray. With the holidays coming, it's an excellent opportunity for Sony to grab a few more PS2 sales for parents not willing or able to spend the extra cash on one of today's fine video game consoles.

I dont see this bundle listed on amazon.com yet
but this might be the best deal for a new ps2.

I still wish The new slim PS3 played PS2 games.[/QUOTE]
To bad we already have the game for xbox 360.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']http://kotaku.com/5668749/theres-a-new-playstation-2-bundle-in-town

http://www.amazon.com/PS2-Toy-Story...2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1287627415&sr=1-32
this might be the best deal for a new ps2.

I still wish The new slim PS3 played PS2 games.[/QUOTE]
I got this PS2 model with the game today. Do you guys think it is ok to buy a used memory card playstation brand or do you think I have to buy a brand new one? Do you guys think I should buy the $7 replacement plan at Target supposed to be good for 2 years, I said what if you don't have it anymore they said they would give $ back.

[quote name='mickeyp']I got this PS2 model with the game today. Do you guys think it is ok to buy a used memory card playstation brand or do you think I have to buy a brand new one? Do you guys think I should buy the $7 replacement plan at Target supposed to be good for 2 years, I said what if you don't have it anymore they said they would give $ back.[/QUOTE]

Spring the extra money for a new brand name memory card. You won't be happy if you save 4 bucks only to lose all your saved games.

bread's done
Back