CAGcast #209: Calling All Farts!

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#31 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:53 PM

Only at the Realtime Worlds discussion part, but it seems like you talked about the things I posted in the questions thread, thanks!

Now I maybe wrong, but this is how I've understood the Crackdown 2 timeline with Realtime/Ruffian:

Feb. 07- Crackdown comes out

Summer/Fall 07- Crackdown is a huge hit, not just for the Halo 3 beta. Major Nelson and other media talk about the game constantly, sold millions of copies, and Realtime asks Microsoft about making a sequel. MS execs above Major Nelson level think it's just because of the Halo 3 beta and pass.

Fall 07/Summer 08- Realtime needs to make something to keep the doors open so APB is announced are development started.

Fall 08/Spring 09- Microsoft finally decides to have a Crackdown 2 to strenghen their weaking lineup of exclusives. The brass at Realtime, deep in production with APB, say it's too late. A few lower level execs and a group of workers from Realtime, perhaps seeing the writing on the wall, decide to splinter off and form a new company, Ruffian Games, with its first project being Crackdown 2.

Oct. 09 ish- Crackdown 2 development begins.

June/July 2010- APB releases and the game is not super polished at launch and fails for all the reasons already stated, and Crackdown 2 comes out and sells nearly a million units worldwide in less than a month even though most reviews state it's not a very revolutionary sequel.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
42869.png

#32 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:56 PM

Not only did Kotaku do seperate posts for NPD hardware/software, but Totilo also did an analysis post about what the numbers showed.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
42869.png

#33 Jinchuriki

Jinchuriki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:06 PM

Trust me Mass Effect on PS3 will sell at least one copy, and that's because I'm buying it!
Epileptic Gaming! Bitches
http://djwheat.tv/

#34 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:28 PM

I'm a light PSP user, but what comes out for it I enjoy. I built up a massive collection via Goozex and some cheap deals from Gamestop. What games I've bought for it I've enjoyed. I got Peace Walker, getting Valkyria Chronicles 2 day 1, pre ordering God of War only because of all the stuff you get for a preorder, and I'll get The 3rd Birthday (aka Parasite Eve 3) when it comes out next year.

Of course I wouldn't mind the Ys code ... :)

Edited by MSUHitman, 19 August 2010 - 08:43 PM.

42869.png

#35 the_void

the_void

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:44 PM

Great show guys. Just wondering if you guys are ever gonna do the show highlights episode that got postponed from episode 201, or is that not gonna happen now?

#36 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:52 PM

The reason I asked is Kotaku is my main video game blog. I'm a star commenter there and I like it's comment system vs. Joystiq (can't take the time to check my email just for my comment to show, sorry) and I can't stand Jim Sterling, who I believe gives games scores of 1-4 just to increase hits and posts on Destructoid to inflate their stats. Yes Sterling is worse than Crecente, I said it. Also Joystiq's comments are swarmed with fanboys, much worse than either Kotaku or Destructoid.

And they've just been silent about it. If you're going to say you're the No. 1 video game blog, how can you ignore the most important game story each and every month? I didn't even know the numbers had come out on Thursday until I saw them on CAG.

Oh and here's some rough site stats for their last NPD number articles-
April hardware- 13k views, 98 comments
April games- 14,700 views, 257 comments

March games- 19,500 views, 444 comments
March systems- 9,570 views, 187 comments

Feb. games- 8,472 views, 168 comments
Feb. systems- 19k views, 578 comments

Jan. systems- 9,650 views, 142 comments
Jan. games- 10,400 views, 197 comments

Edited by MSUHitman, 19 August 2010 - 08:45 PM.

42869.png

#37 apathylad

apathylad

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:01 PM

Wombat's farts sound like a duck quacking...which leaves a disturbing image of a Wombaduck in my head.

Anyway, good show guys. It seems that Mass Effect 2 is being brought over to PS3 to encourage interest to the eventual Mass Effect 3 multiplatform launch. Still, it seems a little strange to not bring the first game over. While you don't need prior knowledge to play most game sequels, Mass Effect is a very story driven game. I know that when I was playing through Mass Effect 2 with my imported character, I was looking forward to speaking to my old crew. These appearances probably won't be as meaningful to newcomers.

By the way, I never read the Boat Crash Chronicles, but now I'm glad they were mentioned.

Posted Image

#38 soliddragon

soliddragon

Early Adopter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:18 PM

Yeah! Gummi Bears FTW!

Y's Please!!
'Give me, One more medicated peaceful moment'
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

:ds: :360: :ps3: :3ds: :wii: :pc:

Spoiler

#39 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:20 PM

If you and Mrs Cheapy were having trouble with the British accents in Shaun of the Dead, why not just turn on subtitles?

I quite liked the second Matrix movie, too.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#40 easper

easper

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:24 PM

Good on Wombat for bringing the TV and movie love. White Collar is a fantastic show, and if you like Edgar Wright you need to check out the mid-2000s BBC series Look Around You. It's a pitch-perfect take on late-'70s educational programming, filled with dry narration, made up facts, and absurdist humor. Each episode is less than ten minutes long and it's amazing. Wright didn't exactly work on the show, but he has a recurring part as one of the scientists, and Simon Pegg and Nick Frost both have cameos. Look Around You was co-written by Peter Serafinowicz, aka "Duane" from Spaced (and here's a bit of trivia: he was also the voice of Darth Maul in Episode I).

#41 volt1up

volt1up

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:34 PM

I stopped reading destructoid because of Jim Sterling, he always pulls dumb sh*t like that.

#42 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:39 PM

Sorry to nitpick Shipwreck, but there's no "u" in Lara Croft. :)

Edited by Curufinwe, 19 August 2010 - 08:15 PM.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#43 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:21 PM

Sorry to nitpick Shipwreck, but there's no "u" in Lara Croft. :)

That's just my Ohio accent. I swear I'm saying Lara.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#44 stevew2607

stevew2607

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:24 PM

I have already preordered mass effect 2 on amazon I cannot wait! Hey how about that Ys code ;), that game looks awesome on the psp. It will be another classic action rpg that thrive on that platform.

#45 eataburger

eataburger

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:54 PM

Great episode guys! I prefer shorter shows to be honest.

I agree with Wombat about what Kotaku does or doesn't do isn't worthy of discussion on CAG.

Any possibility of an Andriod CAG app?

I agree with Cheapy. The song list for Guitar Hero is awful compared to Rock Band. Adding the keytar really opened up their song list to stuff that wouldn't otherwise work without it (like Werewolves of London!)

Oh... I'd like to be entered into the draw for the code.

Thanks!

#46 xrayzwei

xrayzwei

is ready to believe you

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:48 PM

Great show this week, a little short though.

Also putting name in hat for the Y's code. Thx.

#47 volt1up

volt1up

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:50 PM

NPD #s might be too game related for kotaku.

MNC having split screen online just convinced me to buy it, thanks for mentioning it.

Edited by volt1up, 19 August 2010 - 09:10 PM.

#48 iKilledChewbacca

iKilledChewbacca

Trading Time Out (Under Investigation) Do not trade!

• Trading Timeout - Under Review

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:54 PM

i gotta get rid of them x's on my nickname.

hahahaha xlax !!

#49 CaptainJoel

CaptainJoel

Church of Falcon

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:39 PM

Great show guys! I got to admit, the thing that grabbed my attention the most was probably the bit about the guy thinking that Kinect would sell an assload of units. That guy has to be crazy! I cannot see people seriously shelling out 150 bucks for it.

#50 Kezmer

Kezmer

Disgruntled Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:41 PM

I guess I am in the minority, every podcast I listen to seems to not care about Bioshock anymore. I would say it is not a yearly release like Shipwreck referred but it is on more of a 2 an 1/2 year cycle, I am kind of foggy but I think August 2007 and 2 came out February 2010. I am just the type of person that wants a good story in a game, the shooting doesn't have to be perfect for me. There is a Call of Duty every year and I never hear people complain about it, but more Bioshock with story and atmosphere is frowned upon. I just don't get it. This is all just my opinion.

I also never played Mass Effect 1 and only played Mass Effect 2. I did feel a little foggy at first but after the first couple hours I was hooked in enough to call in sick to work to play it. Easily one of the best games I have ever played in my life. I only wish we got a game every year of that quality and I am happy for PS3 owners to play it.
122445.png

#51 Nero514

Nero514

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:42 PM

Hearing Shipwreck say that the new cole was unique makes me cringe considering he looked like Nathan Drakes douchey cousin but whatever great cagcast also I never played mass effect because my computer sucks im looking forward to playing ME2 when it comes out

#52 RichMeisterMan

RichMeisterMan

Umbrella Executive

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:51 PM

I just want to say that the intro music has set my expectations for this show extremely high.

And to touch on Scott Pilgrim. Fucking Awesome movie. The visuals, transitions, and sounds were all incredibly entertaining. This coming from someone that hates Michael Cera; so if your hatred for him is why you aren't seeing it; go ahead and put that behind you temporarily and see this movie.

And Shipwreck! Dude...Hot Fuzz is the shit! You need to make it a priority to see that.

I agree with Cheapy about Hitman! Where the is it?! I played the dog shit out of Blood Money!

During the discussion about changing the main character in a game, you mentioned Dead Space, Wombat, but you didn't mean to. However, After playing it on the PC and catching a glimpse of what Isaac looked like in the very beginning of the game (apparently you aren't supposed to be able to, but it's broke) I hope they do change his appearance. He looked like a total goob.

Edited by RichMeisterMan, 19 August 2010 - 11:59 PM.

#53 Shibby2142

Shibby2142

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:26 PM

More monorail train, less Wombat. ;)

#54 Buuhan1

Buuhan1

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:30 PM

It's not pronounced Laura?! Well, I'm from Ohio too so I guess that explains it? So it's pronounced Lah-Rah instead of Lor-Rah? I always have had unique pronunciations...

http://www.youtube.com/KyleFedora

Posted Image
Backloggery

I'm 34 years old, and damned it, I want my freaking half-undressed anime chick.

In for 12 to afford a dozen roses for my body pillow Kimiko.

#55 RichMeisterMan

RichMeisterMan

Umbrella Executive

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:32 PM

It's not pronounced Laura?! Well, I'm from Ohio too so I guess that explains it? So it's pronounced Lah-Rah instead of Lor-Rah? I always have had unique pronunciations...

I say it, "Lare-uh" :-/

#56 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:43 PM

call her Boobs. much easier.
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#57 Xeigrich

Xeigrich

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:23 PM

This is only the 2nd or 3rd CAGcast I've listened to, but I'm loving it so far!

On the topic of Scott Pilgrim, I've read the books (loved them!!) and I'm eagerly awaiting the Xbox Live Arcade version of the game. I'm only a bit hesitant to see the movie because of Michael Cera... The thing is, I like him and I've liked the movies he's been in before, but the Scott Pilgrim character is more or less spastic, self-confident, energetic and just generally outgoing which is pretty much the exact opposite of the characters Michael Cera usually plays. I'm still gonna see it regardless, and I personally think anybody who hates Michael Cera should give the movie a chance... If any movie were to change your opinion of him even temporarily, this should be the one.

Also, I do wish they'd get on with the PSP2 or whatever successor may be in the works. The mediocre "improvements" they've been adding to each new variant have yet to justify upgrading from my old PSP-1000 to a 2000, 3000, or God-forbid a PSP-Go (never!). Personally, with the 3DS on the horizon and the console cycle starting to stretch, I think a well planned PSP2 launch -- with some sort of actual analog/slider and storage/media improvements -- could be closer than we think.

(mono train!!)

#58 Smallville123

Smallville123

CAGetmedown!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:31 PM

Good show gentlemen as always. The only thing about this week was i was surprised you made no mention of the ubisoft store dollar glitch that happened a few days ago. It was pretty nuts, and i was wondering do you think that is just as wrong as people exploiting the mw2 unlocking arcade glitch.
Insert clever line here......

#59 Nayson

Nayson

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:02 AM

I miss "It's Go-Daddy or go Fuck yourself." :(

That slogan was awesome.

#60 hectorlaparka

hectorlaparka

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:10 AM

I just came from the theater, and I gotta say, Scott Pilgrim vs The World was amazing. Usually, I hate Michael Cera, but he redeemed himself with this movie. It's a shame it's not doing well in the box office though.