- - - - -

Fantasy Football "Who should I start?" thread, Version 2.0

• Please log in to reply
1134 replies to this topic

#31 klwillis45

klwillis45

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:55 PM

Yeah but the wrs are less than stellar.

Agreed but WR problems are way easier to fix than RB problems.
Your team looks quite good. You've got 6 spots that are auto-start.
Posted Image

#32 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:01 PM

I figured, but I picked up a ton of scrub wrs because I didn't trust Sidney.

does your league have an IR slot? if so, just throw rice in there for now, pick up the top WR available (or make a trade). wait for week 1 or 2 for someone to show some signs and pick em up quick.

Posted Image

#33 chimpster1313

chimpster1313

Cleveland Sports Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:20 PM

Yeah, that RB core will give you plenty of points throughout the season, but the WR's will definitely be hit and miss. If this is a keeper league, congrats on obtaining Golden Tate. I don't care what anyone says, that dude is going to be bank in due time.
Posted Image

#34 gbpackers94

gbpackers94

Julius, Ph.D.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:22 PM

To answer some questions: its a 12 team league, 1 keeper (michael turner), and 2 ir spots.

While sidney is injured who should be my 3 and 4 wrs?

#35 chimpster1313

chimpster1313

Cleveland Sports Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:27 PM

Morgan will be the 9er's number 3 behind Crabtree and Ginn Jr (in all likelihood), but I'd still put him as your number 3. As for your 4? It's really a pick em. I say just pick whoever is up against a weak pass defense that week.
Posted Image

#36 gbpackers94

gbpackers94

Julius, Ph.D.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:29 PM

Morgan will be the 9er's number 3 behind Crabtree and Ginn Jr (in all likelihood), but I'd still put him as your number 3. As for your 4? It's really a pick em. I say just pick whoever is up against a weak pass defense that week.

Devin Thomas is supposed to be #2 behind santana moss, and as much as I dislike the redskins, I have a feeling Thomas could actually produce this year with help from mcnabb.

Also ginn is available in free agents, should I bite? If so who should I drop.

#37 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:34 PM

A lot of love for Ryan Matthews this year. I'm seeing him go really early and I'm always leary of taking a rookie RB in the early rounds.
Posted Image

#38 gbpackers94

gbpackers94

Julius, Ph.D.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:36 PM

A lot of love for Ryan Matthews this year. I'm seeing him go really early and I'm always leary of taking a rookie RB in the early rounds.

Recently we've seen Chris johnson, ap, Joe Greene, and ray rice all explode.

#39 Kilraven

Kilraven

Mighty Meth Power!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:27 PM

Especially a rookie that will have some kind of split with Sproles. Much like Best and Smith in Detroit, I'm uncertain what kind of action they'll see. If it's like Rice and McGahee, who gets the goalline and who gets everything else?

#40 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:53 PM

Ginn their #2? Nu uh. He's working to lock up the #3 receiver spot on that team. Morgan is pretty well set as their #2 guy.

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#41 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:24 AM

got another draft tonight. its a new league with family members (brothers, nephews, in-laws etc) with a $50 buy in. so this should be pretty fun. but 7th pick instead of the 3rd means ill have a vastly different team, always makes sundays more conflicting...

Posted Image

#42 Danimal

Danimal

CheapAssing it Since 2003

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:49 AM

got another draft tonight. its a new league with family members (brothers, nephews, in-laws etc) with a $50 buy in. so this should be pretty fun. but 7th pick instead of the 3rd means ill have a vastly different team, always makes sundays more conflicting...

I know what you mean. The last couple years I've done a league on CAG as well as my regular league, and it seems like every weekend there's some sort of crossover, like your QB in one league is going against your DST from your other league. I think this year I'm going to just do my regular money league.

I'm curious- how many people in your family league? And how many of them have done fantasy football before? If they're all rookies at it, you could end up with a pretty sweet team and mop up. :lol:
Posted Image

#43 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:52 PM

I know what you mean. The last couple years I've done a league on CAG as well as my regular league, and it seems like every weekend there's some sort of crossover, like your QB in one league is going against your DST from your other league. I think this year I'm going to just do my regular money league.

I'm curious- how many people in your family league? And how many of them have done fantasy football before? If they're all rookies at it, you could end up with a pretty sweet team and mop up. :lol:

its a 10 person league, i think all of them have done fantasy football before except for one. as i expected my team is pretty different, but i did manage to get a few of the same guys, mostly non-starters. but no big deal, im not invested in this one so much like my other one. my main league we've been playing together for years, so its very competitive, we have rivalries and everything, plus its more money. also, this league is on ESPN, and im not a fan of ESPN fantasy. oh well, heres my second team.

7 Michael Turner, Atl RB
14 Ryan Grant, GB RB
27 Ryan Mathews, SD RB
34 Anquan Boldin, Bal WR
47 Steve Smith, NYG WR
54 Tony Romo, Dal QB
67 Brent Celek, Phi TE
74 Santana Moss, Was WR
87 Braylon Edwards, NYJ WR
94 Carson Palmer, Cin QB
107 Malcom Floyd, SD WR
114 Laurence Maroney, NE RB
127 Cadillac Williams, TB RB
134 Alex Smith, SF QB
147 Todd Heap, Bal TE
154 Dolphins D/ST, Mia D/ST
167 Bills D/ST, Buf D/ST
174 David Buehler, Dal K

Posted Image

#44 primetime

primetime

What time is it?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:10 PM

What do you guys think about picking up Fred Taylor off the wire? Right now I'm starting Chris Johnson and Ahmad Bradshaw with Barber on the bench.

Standard scoring league, what do you guys think?
Posted Image

#45 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:01 PM

What do you guys think about picking up Fred Taylor off the wire? Right now I'm starting Chris Johnson and Ahmad Bradshaw with Barber on the bench.

Standard scoring league, what do you guys think?

who else is available? its not too bad a pick up as long as you arent counting on him doing more than filling in your bye weeks. but maroney is playing for his job, not to mention the patriots backfield is more crowded than just about any team in the league.

Posted Image

#46 Kilraven

Kilraven

Mighty Meth Power!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:45 PM

Personally, I hate owning any back from NE or Denver. The only time you know who's getting the start (or most carries) is when the other half dozen on the team is hurt.

#47 primetime

primetime

What time is it?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:28 PM

Yeah, I hear you guys. I'm kinda wary of him too, but I have a bad feeling that Bradshaw is gonna end up burning me. I hope my gut feeling is wrong and he picks up where Jacobs left off a couple years ago.

As far as any other backs available, there's nothing that excites me. I think I'm gonna stay put for now, hope Bradshaw pans out, and deal either Rivers or Favre for a back if I need to pick one up later.
Posted Image

#48 Kilraven

Kilraven

Mighty Meth Power!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:58 AM

Yeah, I hear you guys. I'm kinda wary of him too, but I have a bad feeling that Bradshaw is gonna end up burning me. I hope my gut feeling is wrong and he picks up where Jacobs left off a couple years ago.

As far as any other backs available, there's nothing that excites me. I think I'm gonna stay put for now, hope Bradshaw pans out, and deal either Rivers or Favre for a back if I need to pick one up later.

Straight up, hold on to both until week 4 (favre's bye) and trade him. I prefer River's schedule - and entire receiver core - for the playoff run. So I'd hang on long enough get a solid trade and worry about your week 10 replacement later - there'll be plenty of QBs left for one game.

#49 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:24 AM

I'm taking over a team in a keeper league, 2 of my 3 keepers are Matt Forte and Calvin Johnson, I have narrowed down the other options to:
QB Jay Cutler
TE Brent Celek
TE Visanthe Shiancoe
K Stephen Gostkowski
DEF Philadelphia

Thoughts? The whole roster looked like this:
QB Jay Cutler
QB Mark Sanchez
RB Tashard Choice
RB Matt Forte
RB Willis McGahee
WR Santonio Holmes
WR Calvin Johnson
WR Johnny Knox
WR Sidney Rice
TE Brent Celek
TE Visanthe Shiancoe
K John Carney
K Stephen Gostkowski
DEF Denver
DEF Philadelphia
Posted Image

#50 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:18 AM

I'm taking over a team in a keeper league, 2 of my 3 keepers are Matt Forte and Calvin Johnson, I have narrowed down the other options to:
QB Jay Cutler
TE Brent Celek
TE Visanthe Shiancoe
K Stephen Gostkowski
DEF Philadelphia

Thoughts? The whole roster looked like this:
QB Jay Cutler
QB Mark Sanchez
RB Tashard Choice
RB Matt Forte
RB Willis McGahee
WR Santonio Holmes
WR Calvin Johnson
WR Johnny Knox
WR Sidney Rice
TE Brent Celek
TE Visanthe Shiancoe
K John Carney
K Stephen Gostkowski
DEF Denver
DEF Philadelphia

a kicker for your keeper? really?

out of your players id say rice or choice, to a lesser extent knox, sanchez and celek (TBD based on this year). there is zero reason to pick a DEF or K as your keeper.

Posted Image

#51 klwillis45

klwillis45

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:02 PM

Personally, I hate owning any back from NE or Washington. The only time you know who's getting the start (or most carries) is when the other half dozen on the team is hurt.

Fixed then big +1.
Posted Image

#52 ZForce915

ZForce915

Group hug!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:02 PM

a kicker for your keeper? really?

out of your players id say rice or choice, to a lesser extent knox, sanchez and celek (TBD based on this year). there is zero reason to pick a DEF or K as your keeper.

It sounds stupid, but Rice is out for the first half of the season and Choice is garbage in my opinion. I looked into the league and there is a need for a lot of pass catchers (RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/WT) so I might grab celek. Sanchez could be a good backup.

But in the scheme of things Number #1 K vs #10 K isn't going to win a league and I know that.
Posted Image

#53 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:23 PM

It sounds stupid, but Rice is out for the first half of the season and Choice is garbage in my opinion. I looked into the league and there is a need for a lot of pass catchers (RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/WT) so I might grab celek. Sanchez could be a good backup.

But in the scheme of things Number #1 K vs #10 K isn't going to win a league and I know that.

sure, rice is hurt right now, but its a keeper league and your choices are slim.

Posted Image

#54 IvanHood

IvanHood

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:54 PM

I know this has kind of been discussed before, but what the hell am I supposed to do with Sidney Rice (non-keeper league)? I can't put him on IR yet, and I already drafted Vincent Jackson with the knowledge that I wouldn't be able to use him for 3-6 weeks. Right now my other WRs are Mike Sims-Walker, Pierre Garcon, Austin Collie, and I picked up Nate Burleson when I heard about Rice. I'm thinking that there's not much left for me to do except wait and see if anyone on the waiver wire gets off to a strong start, but I'm starting to question my decision to keep Jackson and Rice.

#55 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:02 PM

I know this has kind of been discussed before, but what the hell am I supposed to do with Sidney Rice (non-keeper league)? I can't put him on IR yet, and I already drafted Vincent Jackson with the knowledge that I wouldn't be able to use him for 3-6 weeks. Right now my other WRs are Mike Sims-Walker, Pierre Garcon, Austin Collie, and I picked up Nate Burleson when I heard about Rice. I'm thinking that there's not much left for me to do except wait and see if anyone on the waiver wire gets off to a strong start, but I'm starting to question my decision to keep Jackson and Rice.

theres a good chance rice will be back before jackson, so its tough to say which to keep for the second half of the season. hopefully you'll be able to put rice on the IR before the season starts, and there probably wont be much movement on the wavier wire until after the season starts. best bet is to wait until after week 1 or 2 for someone to bust out (which always happens) or you might want to try and work a trade with garcon or collie since they are both on the colts. try training one of them (preferably collie) with a spare RB or other position for a better WR.

Posted Image

#56 Kilraven

Kilraven

Mighty Meth Power!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:24 PM

Personally, I hate owning any back from NE, Denver, or Washington. The only time you know who's getting the start (or most carries) is when the other half dozen on the team is hurt.

Fixed then big +1.

Double Fixed. +2!

(Good point on Washington, forgot they picked up LJ and No Longer Fast Willie)

#57 Kilraven

Kilraven

Mighty Meth Power!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:49 PM

VJax is tough. You've got a player that may very well sit out the entire season, or he may sign or get traded and be back in 6 weeks. If he plays you've got a stud receiver, even if he's traded to Seattle (as an example). I'd atleast hang onto him until week 1 - see how the contract talks are going.

Rice, on the other hand, I'd have dropped by now. It's not that he can't play football for atleast 8 weeks, it's that he can't even think about practicing or doing anything on that hip for 8 weeks. Even if he does recoup in 8 weeks, there will still be a a week or two getting into shape and more than likely eased into the line-up a few weeks after that.

#58 Danimal

Danimal

CheapAssing it Since 2003

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:50 PM

VJax is tough. You've got a player that may very well sit out the entire season, or he may sign or get traded and be back in 6 weeks. If he plays you've got a stud receiver, even if he's traded to Seattle (as an example). I'd atleast hang onto him until week 1 - see how the contract talks are going.

Rice, on the other hand, I'd have dropped by now. It's not that he can't play football for atleast 8 weeks, it's that he can't even think about practicing or doing anything on that hip for 8 weeks. Even if he does recoup in 8 weeks, there will still be a a week or two getting into shape and more than likely eased into the line-up a few weeks after that.

Completely agree with all of this. I would drop Rice immediately. Even when he comes back, he won't be last year's version of Sidney Rice. Not worth holding up a roster spot all season waiting for him to get back up to speed.

I'm going to stay far away from VJax in my draft this Saturday. I know he could pay big dividends and be a great value pick at some point this season, especially for owners able to grab him in later rounds, but I don't want the anxiety of wondering what his status will be.
Posted Image

#59 IvanHood

IvanHood

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:25 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Definitely gives me some things to think about. My point of comfort is that my starting RBs are Frank Gore and Steven Jackson, so hopefully neither of them gets injured.

#60 Lord_Kefka

Lord_Kefka

Son of a Submariner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:27 AM

I am going to be in three leagues this year, my one running league from the last 7 years and 2 new ones with some crazy point rules.

Now, in recent years I've grown accustomed to having a middle-end pick and I've had great success. Now I find myself actually loathing having #1 pick. Last time I had that was when LT was the man and broke down after two record setting years. I'm just about certain it will be Chris Johnson, even though I fell in love with Ray Rice last year after stealing him at 6th round. (Quick side note for ZForce - keep Celek, he had great rapport in the few games last year with Kolb, he was my 11th round sleeper).

So, my wrap around pick will be #24. I'm hoping Ryan Grant would be hanging around, but I'm guessing not. I would expect Roddy White, maybe Brandon Marshall....I don't know. I really don't like a lot of the guys ranked overall around that number. Some good steals in the middle rounds to be had I think.....anyone else get into this predicament?

Lord Kefka... you're insatiable.

My Tradelist