CAGcast #210: The Perfect Length

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 25 August 2010 - 05:50 AM

This week's big topics include: Metroid: Other M, game length vs. value, Game Room missteps, Move, Kinect, the latest game shopping and industry news, your CAGbag and Twitter questions and so much more.

Download - 95 minutes, 57MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Edited by CheapyD, 25 August 2010 - 06:33 AM.

#2 ChuckNoLuck

ChuckNoLuck

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:07 AM

Early CAGcast!!!!!!

#3 iKilledChewbacca

iKilledChewbacca

Trading Time Out (Under Investigation) Do not trade!

• Trading Timeout - Under Review

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:35 AM

YAY I love early CAG cast !!

#4 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:36 AM

Thanks I was bored I needed something to listen to.

#5 ch3zyp00fs

ch3zyp00fs

CAGcast Groupie.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:40 AM

awesome. something for the work day tomorrow.
Use the Swagbucks Google Search Engine and Win Prizes with me! Click the banner and lets get points and FREE SWAG!

Posted Image

#6 Indignate

Indignate

Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:45 AM

Just finished up last weeks show and gonna start on this right away.

Any reason why the font size for the note section is all screwy?

#7 raistlin

raistlin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:33 AM

Cheapy, have you tried Eve Online? After hearing your description of the kind of sci fi type game you'd like to play, I'd say you should check it out since there is a Mac version.

#8 Master Troll

Master Troll

Whaat is this place?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:59 AM

Wow so it looks like there are advantages to staying up at 3 in the morning. Thanks Cheapy!

I dont know guys
idiots are a diamond dozen nowadays :)

Posted Image

#9 Bluntsly

Bluntsly

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:00 AM

This and a new TRS will get me through the night shift... :)

#10 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:56 AM

If Shipwreck liked Other M a lot, I wouldn't be surprised since he loves games made by Team Ninja. Whether it be Ninja Gaiden, Dead or Alive, or Metroid. I also hope you aren't implying it's a short game.

Also Cheapy, a price point of $7 is better than $10, however a price point of 560 points is not. I hate the awkward points for DLC on the marketplace.

Edited by KingBroly, 25 August 2010 - 05:09 PM.

Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#11 reddjoey

reddjoey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:30 AM

Sweet, something to listen to between classes
Posted Image
Feel free to add me: Just send a msg saying you are from CAG after the FR
| Xbox Deal of the Week |

#12 SuxoR

SuxoR

What choice did I have?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:48 AM

Awesome new Cagcast just caught up to the latest eps :]

1xz7eo.gif

#13 Bezerker

Bezerker

Bezerker Barrage!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:01 PM

Woo, bombcast and CAGcast on the same day

538822.png

#14 Wickedsoul

Wickedsoul

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:55 PM

Great Cagcast.

I have to agree with you guys. I really do not see why some analyst believe that Kinect and Move will sell great. It is way to late to get into the motion control market for this generation. The Wii has dominated that market already for years and just NOW they are trying to break in ? My mom and fiance have a Wii which they play every now and then. None of them even know what the hell Kinect or Move is lol. I in know way consider them to be an excellent sample of the video game population but I consider them to be very casual players and if this were to have caught their interest in any way I probably would have heard about it =P

Can't wait for your review on Metroid: Other M.

For a game like ME2 vehicle base missions are cool... but if a huge portion of the game was based around random space combat, i think it would kill the feeling of ME. However if they were to implement a vehicle mission that involved space combat, I believe I would really enjoy that. It would have to be implemented as a part of the story and specific to only a section of the game. For instance an invasion of a planet or an escape (just examples I know they are cliche :) If they implemented space combat where you just roll up to a ship and engage in combat I would be pretty disappointed.

And to the person that lost his brother and was feeling guilty about using the PS3. Don't do that to yourself. You have to believe that your brother would be happy about you using and enjoying his PS3. Remember he loves you. When you play it... think of the good times you and him may have had playing it together. I'm sorry for your loss.

#15 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:57 PM

Haven't listened yet, but was the Chicago CAG meet-up (Sept. 11 @ The Galloping Ghost Arcade) announced on this episode? Maybe next one (if it wasn't)?

Thanks!

#16 Hoffer

Hoffer

I've got a 10" CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:57 PM

I looked up the Miranda cosplay pictures. Don't get me wrong, that chick is 1,000 times hotter than any girl I've been with. Saying that, I was a little disappointed. In game Miranda is way hotter. :)

#17 Wickedsoul

Wickedsoul

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:19 PM

HAHA thanks for the reminder forgot to look that up =P

I looked up the Miranda cosplay pictures. Don't get me wrong, that chick is 1,000 times hotter than any girl I've been with. Saying that, I was a little disappointed. In game Miranda is way hotter. :)

#18 Duck in a Pond

Duck in a Pond

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:43 PM

Awesome can't wait to listen!!!

#19 FasterTTW

FasterTTW

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:01 PM

In regards to the $7 XBLA price point:

Yes, it is more enjoyable than $10, but how much of this stuff would have been $5 a year ago? It seems like $7 is the new $5, and sadly they started moving to that just shortly after finally allowing you to buy $5 and $10 MS Point denominations. Now we're back to the spare change problem again.

To clarify: I think the Overlord DLC was well worth $7, but I can't say the same about the Kasumi mission.(enjoyable, but more palatable at $5). I'm sure Liara DLC will be a little more significant and not regrettable at $10.

#20 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:17 PM

I need to defend firehawk12's comment about importing ME1 save to ME2. What I thought he meant about being a Paragon is this: If you imported a ME1 save where you were Paragon and saved the Citadel, it will be mentioned by Miranda in ME2 and you will receive bonus Paragon points which stack with your Paragon points in ME2 and help you out with decisions in which you can side with both party members who are fighting.

From what I remember, if you started out in ME2 without any saves at all, they will mention that you failed at saving the Citadel and you start out as a Renegade by default. It's a big deal in terms of the story, imo. But like Wombat said, we can probably expect this issue to be addressed by Bioware in ME2 for the PS3.
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#21 sublime90

sublime90

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:29 PM

this is vegas.....wet t shirt mini game!!!!dancing!!!!canceled... *tear rolling down my angry face*
Posted Image
I was half cut, im not slippin man i slipped! - Max Payne

#22 MannishBoy

MannishBoy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:55 PM

Achievements on the Xbox part of the Win Phone 7 definitely go into your regular gamer score. See the Gizmodo piece here.

Every Xbox Live game on Windows Phone 7 has a 200 gamerscore, just like Xbox Live Arcade games, and will accrue to your overall gamerscore. That integrated experience is reflected in your Avatar as well: any customizations you make on the phone will be reflected immediately on the console, and vice versa.

Pretty cool.

That said, I'm waiting a year to see how things work out with the phone OS in general. I just bought an android phone last week (EVO).

#23 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:14 PM

I support Cheapy's suggestion for space battles in Mass Effect 3. It's the next step! Normandy vs enemy ships would be sweet.
63362.png
Blog | Twitter

#24 Aberforth

Aberforth

I used to love her

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:23 PM

I'm actually waiting for Windows Phone 7, and have held off from buying a smart phone until the WP7 OS comes out. My excitement comes from the fact that it will XNA games, and XNA is the easiest to develop games on, imo.
(Disclaimer: I'm basing this on the fact that I have no Mac, but would have to buy one to develop on it. In addition to that I think I remember hearing you have to pay for the development environment. Also, I've never used Objective-C (Android development), but can foresee it being more painful than using C#+XNA)

To fight the late release Microsoft has somewhat told it's developers to make interesting apps (I think I read that on ArsTechnica). Also, I'm assuming they'll learn from the iOS and Andriod marketplaces and keep a close eye on theirs.

However, I won't stand in line to buy a WP7 phone. I'm more cautiously optimistic. I want to see how well it's received before buying one.
I give up on everything, even giving up on everything.

#25 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:44 PM

I need to defend firehawk12's comment about importing ME1 save to ME2. What I thought he meant about being a Paragon is this: If you imported a ME1 save where you were Paragon and saved the Citadel, it will be mentioned by Miranda in ME2 and you will receive bonus Paragon points which stack with your Paragon points in ME2 and help you out with decisions in which you can side with both party members who are fighting.

I didn't save the citadel in ME1 and still got the options to side with both parties when they are fighting.

When I played on PC w/o importing an ME1 save, I didn't get these options.

#26 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:25 PM

I didn't save the citadel in ME1 and still got the options to side with both parties when they are fighting.

When I played on PC w/o importing an ME1 save, I didn't get these options.

You didn't save the Citadel but you were still playing as a Paragon in ME2 right? I think if you continued to choose all Paragon options in ME2 from the beginning, you will still be able to choose both sides during an argument. I only know that you get mega bonus from ME1 so it made it easier to max out Paragon compared to starting out with a blank slate in ME2.
63362.png
Blog | Twitter

#27 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:27 PM

From what I remember, if you started out in ME2 without any saves at all, they will mention that you failed at saving the Citadel and you start out as a Renegade by default. It's a big deal in terms of the story, imo. But like Wombat said, we can probably expect this issue to be addressed by Bioware in ME2 for the PS3.

Yeah exactly what I was going to say.
Spoiler
Also I hope Bioware is doing more than just that "Previously on Mass Effect" video that is on the XBL Marketplace right now for PS3-only users sake.

Although I have a sneaky feeling that
Spoiler
will always be dead in Mass Effect 2 games on either platform that start from scratch.

Yeah Cheapy for using the REAL Press Your Luck theme for this show. I'm assumming you'll talk about PYL later in the show (at the Mafia II discussion now) but I'm so pissed off at Ludia. I owned the PC version of the game (later traded on Goozex) and have the IPhone version and they don't use the real theme and the AI is some of the worst I've ever seen. It's sad when the Apple IIe version (the only other time PYL was officially released as a video game) is superior in every sense other than graphics of the version that comes out almost 20 years later.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
743275.png

#28 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:45 PM

Yeah exactly what I was going to say.

Spoiler
Also I hope Bioware is doing more than just that "Previously on Mass Effect" video that is on the XBL Marketplace right now for PS3-only users sake.

Although I have a sneaky feeling that
Spoiler
will always be dead in Mass Effect 2 games on either platform that start from scratch.

Ah yea, my memory is a lil hazy whether it was about
Spoiler
specifically. But importing a ME1 Paragon save file definitely had its perks for ME2.
63362.png
Blog | Twitter

#29 Buuhan1

Buuhan1

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:52 PM

Whoo! Day early! It's funny Wombat said "You have 209 episodes to listen to to find out I'm an ass." cause that's exactly what I've been doing. Up to CAGcast #24 right now.

http://www.youtube.com/KyleFedora

Posted Image
Backloggery

I'm 34 years old, and damned it, I want my freaking half-undressed anime chick.

In for 12 to afford a dozen roses for my body pillow Kimiko.

#30 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:25 PM

I also wanted to mention that I set up my Sync on my new Fusion. All I had to say was "Play Cagcast" to start the show