New CAG Feature: Community Lists

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:03 AM

Thanks to the efforts of Super Programmer John, CAGs can now easily create and maintain custom video game lists! Features include automatic box art insertion, access to latest prices, and several list formatting options.

We'll be keeping an eye out for quality lists to be featured on the front page and are looking forward to your feedback to see how we can improve upon this new feature.

Posted Image CAG Community Lists

#2 MattJ1991

MattJ1991

Cheap Ass Matthew

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:12 AM

I think this is a great way to expand an already quality website, but I will call bullshit on one thing you said. That being:

We'll be keeping an eye out for quality lists to be featured on the front page

You said the same thing about blogs when they were first launched and other then Shipwrecks and Wombat's reviews I haven't seen that at all. Not trying to sound like a dick (but I probably did) just stating my opinion.

I will say that the automatically uploading box art is a fantastic feature, so kudos to John.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:38 AM

Ouch, what a nasty first post =P

#4 MattJ1991

MattJ1991

Cheap Ass Matthew

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:39 AM

Ouch, what a nasty first post =P

Hey now, I said two nice things and one bad thing. So far that's +1 :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 ashkpa

ashkpa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:46 AM

More is better, though I doubt I'll use this, but who knows? In a year I may look at this comment and laugh at my ignorance.

Hi future self!

#6 paintball745

paintball745

PHD in deals

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:59 AM

Well like ship I am using excel and also like ship I am pulling my hair out over all the lost sleep trying to put it all in to this new list.

#7 Indignate

Indignate

Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:08 AM

I used to visit Gamefaqs daily to read the Featured Top 10, looks like I'll be doing that here now.

I think this is a great way to expand an already quality website, but I will call bullshit on one thing you said. That being:

You said the same thing about blogs when they were first launched and other then Shipwrecks and Wombat's reviews I haven't seen that at all. Not trying to sound like a dick (but I probably did) just stating my opinion.

I've seen a few blogs that some regular CAGs have written that have made front page. You have to remember that Cheapy used the word 'quality' and let's be honest here, most of the blogs aren't much on quality and the ones that are aren't even about video games in general.

#8 MattJ1991

MattJ1991

Cheap Ass Matthew

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:53 AM

I've seen a few blogs that some regular CAGs have written that have made front page. You have to remember that Cheapy used the word 'quality' and let's be honest here, most of the blogs aren't much on quality and the ones that are aren't even about video games in general.

That's a fair point

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 sokmaster

sokmaster

sweep the leg

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:20 AM

I'm really digging the new lists. I bet this is already planned, but I think there needs to be some search and sort abilities for the lists. For example, sort the lists by date added, most viewed, most comments, search list titles for keywords like "worst", etc. Also I noticed there was a facebook like option inside each list; could there also be an internal rating system so we could also sort by rating?

#10 John

John

Illusive Programmer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:25 AM

I'm really digging the new lists. I bet this is already planned, but I think there needs to be some search and sort abilities for the lists. For example, sort the lists by date added, most viewed, most comments, search list titles for keywords like "worst", etc. Also I noticed there was a facebook like option inside each list; could there also be an internal rating system so we could also sort by rating?

You can already search, there's a "lists" tab in the search bar.

#11 JP

JP

Proud member of the Ravens Nation!

• Trade-in Value Team

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:17 AM

Very interesting, will have to take a look into this deeper later today.

all-banner.jpg

CAG Apple Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/WWF IDs

CAG Game Database & You - Small little tutorial I guess you would call it.

#12 Broken Cage

Broken Cage

Don't Start Trouble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2010 - 01:20 PM

Does it show if the game is in the list-maker's collection or if they have beaten it? Cause I'd tranfer my GB lists over if that were the case.

I love the "Playing" and "Beaten" icons in my collection, but they're never used anywhere else.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I blog about playing video games: www.heavyattack.com

#13 zenprime

zenprime

A cat is fine too

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:56 PM

Is the lists tab going to be made to be more like the blog one? Right now all it has is: my lists and add new list. It should have: Latest Lists, and Friends' Lists

nyanya.gif

gallery_112191_5372_1370779853_8521.gif

#14 WhipSmartBanky

WhipSmartBanky

Bring on the free hooch!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:09 PM

Is the lists tab going to be made to be more like the blog one? Right now all it has is: my lists and add new list. It should have: Latest Lists, and Friends' Lists

I like this idea.

Now that, my friend, is a shared moment.

about.me/wsb

#15 Duck in a Pond

Duck in a Pond

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:30 PM

Great new feature!

#16 Dark_Sage

Dark_Sage

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:38 PM

We need to be able to delete our own lists and browse others' lists. Right now, the only lists we'll see are the most popular/newest ones.

Edit: Oh god. Please make it so we have an option to not display lists underneath our username by our posts. D:

#17 cdietschrun

cdietschrun

Over the Hills, Far Away

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:46 PM

Can we fix the picture issue where you click them and they shrink to 1 pixel, so I can't click on any embedded pictures in blogs or elsewhere instead of adding lists?
"Where there are cardboard boxes, there will always be Solid Snake." - MGS Database

#18 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:22 PM

Are all lists forced to be in the public feed? I'd use this for a list of games I've beaten since the current collection feature doesn't support that, but I doubt anybody cares what I've beaten so I'd like to keep it private to keep the feed less cluttered.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

#19 Dark_Sage

Dark_Sage

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:40 PM

There's an option to make them private.

Hide/Save as Draft?
If yes, this list will only be visible to yourself and moderators. Handy if this is a work in progress, or a list for personal reference

#20 MattJ1991

MattJ1991

Cheap Ass Matthew

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:43 PM

Solid idea Frisky, I wouldn't mind keeping a neat list of that either.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#21 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:17 PM

There's an option to make them private.

It works like it does on the blogs, which I don't care for at all.

I'd rather have an actual private category that shows up under My Lists and not be hidden under the general List page and the list needs to appear as a Private List in its page since it just looks like a normal list that everyone else can view. I wouldn't be able to tell that it's only viewable to me without guessing that because of it just having one view.

#22 John

John

Illusive Programmer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:43 PM

It works like it does on the blogs, which I don't care for at all.

I'd rather have an actual private category that shows up under My Lists and not be hidden under the general List page and the list needs to appear as a Private List in its page since it just looks like a normal list that everyone else can view. I wouldn't be able to tell that it's only viewable to me without guessing that because of it just having one view.

Private lists have now been split off in their own section.

#23 Ulvion

Ulvion

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:03 AM

How do you edit your own list? I accidentally posted one, and I hadn't begun adding anything to it. It seems that I just posed a blank page, and I can't find an option to edit it.

#24 Ulvion

Ulvion

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:04 AM

Never mind, I found it. I didn't notice the giant pencil icon to the right of the list page. >_<

#25 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:33 AM

Private lists have now been split off in their own section.

Thanks.

Is there any chance of adding a spot to show many games are in a list next to where it shows how many comments and views a list has? That's the only other thing I'd like to see so I don't have to scroll down down to the bottom to see how many games are on the list, if the list is numbered.

#26 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:55 AM

Cool feature.

Now how about letting us raise the price for email alerts above $60? :)

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=267508

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#27 John

John

Illusive Programmer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2010 - 02:25 AM

Thanks.

Is there any chance of adding a spot to show many games are in a list next to where it shows how many comments and views a list has? That's the only other thing I'd like to see so I don't have to scroll down down to the bottom to see how many games are on the list, if the list is numbered.

Done.

#28 John

John

Illusive Programmer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:10 AM

Cool feature.

Now how about letting us raise the price for email alerts above $60? :)

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=267508

That feature has been there for a while, you just have to go into wiki editing mode and change the upper price value. (And then wait for the moderation to be approved.)

#29 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:16 PM

Oh, I had no idea.

Thanks!

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#30 cdietschrun

cdietschrun

Over the Hills, Far Away

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:46 PM

Can we fix the picture issue where you click them and they shrink to 1 pixel, so I can't click on any embedded pictures in blogs or elsewhere instead of adding lists?

"Where there are cardboard boxes, there will always be Solid Snake." - MGS Database