Worms Reloaded discussion thread - Welcome new players!

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
[youtube]f7A8mloe-DI[/youtube]
http://store.steampowered.com/app/22600/

Worms Reloaded is the latest Worms game from Team 17 Software. It has everything that Worms 2 on XBLA had, plus tons of new stuff like custom maps and new weapons. Worms Reloaded is available through Steam. They offer a 4-pack. We have a group buy thread here.

Join the CAG Worms Reloaded Steam group!

Custom Maps
How to make custom maps.
You can use whatever art program you want, but you'll need the Paint.net app for steps 3 and 4 of the image editing process.

Editing the image
  1. Create the image in the format of your choice (2560 x 1280 resolution for horizontal maps or 1280 x 2560 for vertical ones) with a blank background.
  2. Maps are comprised of two parts: the background image/layer and the foreground image/layer.
    • Background: the non-interactive portion of the map; Worms can pass through it.
    • Foreground: the interactive portion of the map; Worms can stand on it and cannot pass through it.
  3. In Paint.net, create two layers. Put the background image on the bottom layer and the foreground image on the top layer. Double-click on the bottom layer and set its transparency to 253. Do not change the top layer's transparency.
  4. Save the image as a .TGA file with no compression and agree to flatten the image when prompted. Put it in the game's UserLandscapes folder.

Setting up the completed image for gameplay

• Start the game and enter the Landscape Editor. Load the .TGA file.
  • Set the spawn points of the worms, landmines, etc. Keep in mind that there will always be random mines and barrels in addition to however many you manually place.
  • Save the map. I recommend using the same file name as the TGA file for simplicity's sake. This creates 2 files: .LDS and .KEV. You no longer need the .TGA file, so delete it.

Sharing your map with the world

• You will need either WinZip or WinRAR to create an archive of the custom map files.
  • Start the compression program of your choice and add only the .LDS and .KEV files of your custom map. Do not add the .TGA file.
  • Create a screenshot (730 x 240 resolution) of your map. Just press PrintScreen during the game and find the screenshot in the game's screenshots folder. Then crop and/or reduce the image to the proper resolution.
  • Submit both the archive file and the preview screenshot here. It takes a while to be accepted and become available for download.

All done!

Share your custom maps here!

CheapAssGamerfullpicture.png

CheapAssGamer by EastX

Castlevania1NESMapfullscreenshot.png

Castlevania 1 NES by EastX

Kotakumapfullshot.png

Kotaku by EastX

9rj9ld.png

Tetris 2 Final by SEH

BionicCommandomapfullshot.png

Bionic Commando NES by EastX

Reviews

PC Gamer review
MMOMFG review
CasualGamerChick review

Links

Wormgineers - Custom maps & tutorials
The new weapons of Worms Reloaded

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey can anyone link me to the "Worms : Reloaded " group thread ? I am talking about the one where I can get into a 4 person group to purchase, THanks

So, I made a custom map in Photoshop. I was able to open the .tga file in the Worms editor, place spawns, barrels, etc... and it saved just fine as an .lds file. However, when I try to play the map with a friend, I can load it up and it seems to send the data fine, but when I click the checkbox to start, my game crashes. Anyone know what the deal is?

Got my map working. Play tested it a few times with some friends and we all quite enjoyed it, so I present my first Worms custom map.

Tetris 2 Final
9rj9ld.png

Download Here

Let me know what you all think.

Looks great, dude. Now I'm being just a little anal here, but if most of those rows don't have any spaces in them, wouldn't they disappear? Otherwise it's perfect.

And you guys could leave comments on my maps too! Even if they are silly.

Dude, Brian Crescente, was an instant WTF, and subsequent download for later, haha.

Good stuff in general, guys, like what's been posted so far. Keep it up.

I should attempt a retro gaming map just for the heck of it, and to finally get back into some design stuff that's gaming-oriented (haven't done much of that since the TE stick, eh).

[quote name='eastx']Thanks Bto! Don't forget to rate it at Wormgineers, please.

Next up... More pixel art goodness.

[snip][/quote]

Must... use... ninja ropes...

Love the Bionic Commando map. My friends and I have been playing the hell out of it.

I'm making another Tetris map, this time without full rows of blocks and a better block layout for more diverse gameplay.

I cant stop making maps with those damn Tetris blocks though. They just seem so perfect for the game.

How to use your own background:
  • Download the Paint.net app.
  • Create two layers. Put the background image on the bottom layer and the main image (the stuff the Worms can stand on and can't move through) on the top layer.
  • Double-click the bottom layer on the Layer palette and set its transparency to 253. Don't change the transparency of the top layer.
  • Save the image as a TGA with no compression and say yes when the program asks if it can flatten the image. The TGA is ready to be placed in Worms' UserLandscapes folder. :)
I also revised the tutorial in the OP.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first map to use a custom background is here. It took a lot of time to cut everything out and then add new areas to the level...

[youtube]DhdAUyLeH8o[/youtube]

BionicCommandoArea7.png

Bionic Commando - Area 7 by EastX

Looking forward to that new Tetris map, SEH! I have an idea for one too, but I am holding off on it due to your getting there first. Hydro, are you going to dip your toes into the custom map pool sometime?

Wow, I didnt know there was a new Worms game out. Looks pretty awesome! And the reviews sound good too. Ahh, the memories...now if they only would bring out another Lemmings as well. Unless I'm out of the loop there, too?

[quote name='GoodThreepwood']Wow, I didnt know there was a new Worms game out. Looks pretty awesome! And the reviews sound good too. Ahh, the memories...now if they only would bring out another Lemmings as well. Unless I'm out of the loop there, too?[/QUOTE]

There was a new Lemmings for PS3 (downloadable) and PSP a few years ago. Sony owns the property now, I believe.

Thanks for the invite, eastx. I sent a friend invite to everyone in the group. So which maps are must have on the wormgineers site?

bread's done
Back