Nintendo DSi $149.99 / DSi XL $169.99 - Universal Price Drop Starts 9/12

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#31 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:05 PM

I know, If I was going to get a DS, I would get the lite for it's GBA backwards compatibility.

zactly

#32 bojay1997

bojay1997

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:20 PM

it's not just you. This is N64 hardware and it's a downgrade from the DS Lite because of the missing GBA slot. They can keep it high though because the DS is the best selling console on the market at the moment.

You're mostly paying for the two touch screens though. Think about how expensive cell phones are without a contract subsidy. While Nintendo certainly makes money on every DS sold, their margin is not as huge as you might assume.

#33 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:20 PM

I might jump on a DSiXL when everyone is after the 3DS since I already have a DSLite. DSiWare just doesn't interest me right now.

#34 Spacepest

Spacepest

Your Tax Dollars At Work

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:28 PM

*sigh* No price drop on the DS Lite? Disappointing....
"Videogames...why waste good technology (and $$$ ) on science and medicine?"

#35 kk012

kk012

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:34 PM

DS Lites have been on sale for $99.99, but I think $99.99 should be the new MSRP.

If the 3DS is going to be under $200, I'll pick one up.

#36 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:37 PM

$199.99 is under $200. :)

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#37 100xp

100xp

Blizzard Spy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:27 PM

you get and pay for a DS because it's the games are fun and portable, and yeah the new DS's touch screen is pretty nice. Consider a touch phone w/out a contract costs about $600, or $1000 over two years. (price + mandatory data plan).

a portable 360...a 180? would be sweet. hee hee.

#38 rumblebear

rumblebear

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:59 PM

Great, this just means Nintendo 3DS is going to cost 200 or more.

#39 ryanflucas

ryanflucas

Game Boy Collector

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:02 PM

These drops aren't big enough. It should have been:

NDS Lite - $99.99
NDSi - $129.99
NDSi XL - $149.99

Actually Nintendo could probably cut the DSi entirely from the product line. Most people will go for DS Lite or DSi XL.

#40 MorPhiend

MorPhiend

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:09 PM

These drops aren't big enough. It should have been:

NDS Lite - $99.99
NDSi - $129.99
NDSi XL - $149.99

Actually Nintendo could probably cut the DSi entirely from the product line. Most people will go for DS Lite or DSi XL.

Yeah, because the DS isn't selling any units at current price...:roll:

#41 BlindJoker

BlindJoker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:12 PM

Good thing I saw this as I was ready to purchase an XL to replace my lite. I would just ride the lite all the way to the 3DS first price drop, yes price drop, but the hinge on my lite has gone from not working to snapping off piece by piece.

Doubt it will make it much longer. Now to play the waiting game, the horrible waiting game.

#42 LuisRM

LuisRM

Midcore Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:30 PM

take advantage of the plus $20 trade in credit towards GAmestop

I have two DS Lites, one for me and the wife. They've both collected dust for about a year after the animal crossing craze died down.

Gamestop is offering a $30 trade in for a DS Lite + $20 credit for $50 total. All they need is a charger and a stylus.

After a quick look on ebay, they're going for $50 to $70 give or take. I may actually trade it in to gamestop just to avoid the hassle on ebay this time. Thanks for the heads up, the promo ends on Sept. 5th.

#43 Gamelore

Gamelore

Dark Elf Cleric

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:34 PM

I hope this drops DS Lite prices somehow...I don't really care for the DSi or XL since they can't play GBA games. on the other hand, it may mean 3DS this year? That would be a tough choice, if the 3DS is $199.

My main beef is the lack of rumble, and the lack of supported products, like the browser, Arkanoid, Guitar Hero, and that Japanese scanning game. That said, ignoring the portability, I vastly prefer the GBA Player for GBA games.

You've really got 4 categories of games for which there is a different optimal system:
GBA (normal) - GBA Player
GBA (special games that use motion or rumble, and aren't multiplayer) - DS Lite
DS (normal) - DSi XL
DS (games that use rumble or use both slots) - DS Lite

I bought an "Onyx" DS-Lite last week to replace my aging launch "White" whose color I've never been happy with, for those DS-Lite-only games.

I still want the XL for my DS-only games that don't use rumble due to the larger screen. Ideally, it would have TV-out, but XL is as good as it's going to get for now. Been waiting for a price drop!

#44 Chocoburger

Chocoburger

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:28 AM

GOD DAMN IT! I waited 6 years to buy a DS system and I JUST bought a DSi XL from amazon.com 3 days ago and it hasn't shipped yet but it won't let me cancel it. Can I return it unopened and get a full refund? Or will Amazon refund me the credit?

#45 LuisRM

LuisRM

Midcore Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:37 AM

GOD DAMN IT! I waited 6 years to buy a DS system and I JUST bought a DSi XL from amazon.com 3 days ago and it hasn't shipped yet but it won't let me cancel it. Can I return it unopened and get a full refund? Or will Amazon refund me the credit?

If it hasn't shipped, you should be able to cancel it. Otherwise, just go through the return policy and you may have to pay shipping, but you should get it put back on your card and not credit.

#46 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:05 AM

Yeah, you can't cancel right before an order ships. Amazon will give you a full refund minus the cost to ship it back them. They make it really easy to return stuff.

#47 Chocoburger

Chocoburger

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:10 AM

Well thanks, I guess I'll return it. Nintendo keeps screwing with me. I had bought a DSi and 26 days later DSi XL info was leaked and soon officially announced. *sigh* So I returned it but I have a useless case and screen protector now. Great.

I bought a Wii, and barely played it and soon it got a price drop and freebie game with motion plus. I should have just waited.

I can't stand supporting Nintendo these days, but they do make fun games. One thing's for sure I will by waiting at least 4 years on the 3DS... but MGS 3 is my favorite action game of all time and if that gets a full rerelease I will be powerless... damn it!

#48 Covnam

Covnam

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:39 AM

Not bad as I was thinking of picking up an XL to play at home now that there's a nice color (blue) out. Though I'll be waiting till the end of Sept. for the 3DS announcement first I think for the release date/price to make that final decision.

#49 Gamelore

Gamelore

Dark Elf Cleric

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:46 AM

One thing's for sure I will by waiting at least 4 years on the 3DS... but MGS 3 is my favorite action game of all time and if that gets a full rerelease I will be powerless... damn it!

Yeah, I swear I have so many backlogged 2D games, that, these days, I'm not attracted to having the latest new console. I can just play my old, sealed games for 10+ years.

Yeah right. I lose all that willpower when they discontinue the backwards compatibility (60GB PS3, DS-Lite), forcing me to buy now. I get locked into the current generation at a high price, and never get around to my older games.

It's a vicious cycle, but it ends when they stop making disc/cartridge-based games. At that point, I'll truly stop buying and get to enjoy my backlog :)

#50 megaman89

megaman89

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:22 AM

why does nintendo keep crappin on the fans that buy this stuff when it comes out. First they stick me with 2 ugly colors and now a price drop ><!!!!

#51 Justin42

Justin42

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:26 AM

Well thanks, I guess I'll return it. Nintendo keeps screwing with me. I had bought a DSi and 26 days later DSi XL info was leaked and soon officially announced. *sigh* So I returned it but I have a useless case and screen protector now. Great.

I bought a Wii, and barely played it and soon it got a price drop and freebie game with motion plus. I should have just waited.

I can't stand supporting Nintendo these days, but they do make fun games. One thing's for sure I will by waiting at least 4 years on the 3DS... but MGS 3 is my favorite action game of all time and if that gets a full rerelease I will be powerless... damn it!

Let this be a lesson to not wait until the tail end of a price level/system life/etc to buy something. ;) If you wait 4 years to buy the 3DS you'll be crying that the 3DS-XL came out 2 days after you bought yours.

#52 1NintendoFan

1NintendoFan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:33 AM

Yeah, I swear I have so many backlogged 2D games, that, these days, I'm not attracted to having the latest new console. I can just play my old, sealed games for 10+ years.

Yeah right. I lose all that willpower when they discontinue the backwards compatibility (60GB PS3, DS-Lite), forcing me to buy now. I get locked into the current generation at a high price, and never get around to my older games.

It's a vicious cycle, but it ends when they stop making disc/cartridge-based games. At that point, I'll truly stop buying and get to enjoy my backlog :)

:D That's the same way I feel. I have tried not to buy games, but that has not worked out so well. I'm still working on my backlog, but I keep adding new games as well.

I have decided that I will most likely stop buying new games at the end of this generation. This was actually the first generation of systems I bought systems while they were still in their prime as I usually waited until they were nearly done. I have a lot of games to get caught up on, so depending on the next gen systems and/or if they go download only, I think I may hold off for a while.

But, for now, I'm going to keep buying stuff that I don't really need... First up, the DSi Xl, followed by the 3DS :bouncy:

#53 Keo_san

Keo_san

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:34 PM

Nintendo got it right price cuts before the holidays. But microsoft getting it backwards price increases right before holidays.

#54 BlindJoker

BlindJoker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:17 AM

why does nintendo keep crappin on the fans that buy this stuff when it comes out. First they stick me with 2 ugly colors and now a price drop ><!!!!

I actually see the bronze being the better color of the three but I agree that they could of chosen better colors.

#55 Gara

Gara

Gao Gao Stegosaurus

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:36 AM

It's hard going back to smaller screens once you try the DSi XL. It's a great upgrade.

Although I think I am getting picky in my old age. I love the DS for casual fun game but despite the great RPG's I always end up bored with them because of the small screen and poor sound. I know headphones improve the sound but I am uncomfortable playing with headphones on any extended session.

Am I alone in preferring a large TV and nice sound on an RPG? Even on old games or GBA games I far prefer them on a large screen and decent sound.

Anyways, all that aside. I highly recommend the DSi XL. The 3DS still has small screens and even when I do purchase one I think I will continue to play my DS games on the XL just for the screen size. It's worth it
Posted Image
My Dvd Collection - My Trade List
Check out my tradelist for many rare anime titles.

#56 Kezmer

Kezmer

Disgruntled Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:15 PM

I was thinking of buying an XL. I had a DS Lite but it died years ago. I am pretty much seeing the general opinion the XL is worth the extra money. I was wondering about buying it now and having Best Buy do a price match on it on the 12th since they ahve the 30 day price match. not sure if It will work on a console.

any thoughts?
[URL="http://exophase.com/gamercards/"]Posted Image[/URL]

#57 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:38 PM

The best time to get an XL would be black Friday, wouldn't it? I'd kind of like to get rid of my DSi and switch to that.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#58 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:45 PM

Is it really that much of a surprise? Nintendo has been doing remodel & price drop thing since the original Gameboy. The same thing will happen multiple times with the 3DS.

And you're not really getting taken advantage of either. You've gotten 6-9 months more enjoyment out of your system than those who chose to wait for a price drop.

#59 Chocoburger

Chocoburger

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:45 PM

Is it really that much of a surprise? Nintendo has been doing remodel & price drop thing since the original Gameboy. The same thing will happen multiple times with the 3DS.

And you're not really getting taken advantage of either. You've gotten 6-9 months more enjoyment out of your system than those who chose to wait for a price drop.

Not me. :bomb:

#60 alamak

alamak

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2010 - 06:45 AM

Good grief maybe I'll get a shot at a $99 Lite on Black Friday :roll: