CAGcast #211: Very Controversial

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 01 September 2010 - 06:42 AM

Controversy abound with discussion on Mafia 2, Metroid Other M, used games, Xbox Live price hike, the latest game shopping and industry news, your CAGbag and Twitter questions and so much more.

Download - 96 minutes, 58MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Edited by CheapyD, 01 September 2010 - 07:11 AM.

#2 ChuckNoLuck

ChuckNoLuck

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:09 AM

Cheapy wants me to flunk college by always staying up for a new CAGcast. oh well

#3 paintball745

paintball745

PHD in deals

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:11 AM

Cant wait to listen to it thanks again cheapy.

#4 hectorlaparka

hectorlaparka

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:23 AM

Listening.

#5 bebop

bebop

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:51 AM

Boredom Solved!

#6 muzras

muzras

I Can HAZ Club NintendoZ?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2010 - 07:54 AM

I luvz cagzcastz ^_^. downloading 2 listenz. :D
[cp][/cp]
PLZ TO B 2 Donate-s0rz... Thankz-s0rz ^_^ :D
CAGz are teh bestz. :grouphug:

#7 Velo214

Velo214

Baby Lili is Here!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:03 AM

Great show as always! Thanx for making the funniest and coolest podcast around :)

#8 bobthecat23

bobthecat23

Més que un Club

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:44 AM

Sounds like the chipmunks when I download off of iTunes one my iPhone :(

Posted Image

#9 Bluntsly

Bluntsly

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:50 AM

Another night shift without boredom thanks to the cagcast

#10 drew327

drew327

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:28 AM

iPods are sold at Best Buy so they can sell you a service plan and 5 accessories (that is where the $$ is). Big Box retailers don't necessarily need disc-based games to make money (hardly make any on them), as long as there are accessories to sell.

#11 meager

meager

mooseknuckle?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:15 AM

Unfortunately, we are already trending towards disc-less gaming as a whole. Retailers are selling cards for downloadable games in B&M stores, and would probably be quite happy to be rid of the bulky, high-theft media. I'm still waiting for them to implement barcode reading into console cameras so I don't have to type in the stupid codes.

This does not bode well for consumers, however. Seeing as how much trouble it is to transfer downloaded content from one console to another of the same generation... what's the likelyhood that they will make these saves transferable to (and compatible with) future consoles? Not likely, since they can charge you again for new versions and just call you sol for less popular games they don't feel are worthy to update.

#12 AleetPanda

AleetPanda

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:25 AM

I worked in retail for a period and I can say for a fact that there is very little margin on video games and even less on ipods.

#13 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:30 AM

Cheapy why don't you look at what Klipsch and Nakamichi have to offer over Yamaha? You'll get better sound quality and authentic surround sound. You'll likely be able to easily mount them if that's what you end up having to choose from too.
Seriously don't pay for simulated surround sound when you can afford quality brands.
Posted Image

"Friends let friends eat each other out.".

#14 Fjordson

Fjordson

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:31 AM

Hell yes, CAGcast this early in the week is too good.

#15 Bezerker

Bezerker

Bezerker Barrage!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:10 PM

$10 says Wombat says something that makes ppl dislike him.

538822.png

#16 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:20 PM

First I should note I haven't listened to the podcast. I'm responding to some comments here. I hardly play any of my disc based games on the current consoles as it is. On my Xbox it's almost all XBLA and Indie downloads, though there are exceptions (Blur I play a fair amount, and Deathsmiles). On the Wii I do play more disc-based games, but that's because of the lack of demos for their download games. I'd play a lot more download games if they had demos for all downloads. Mostly, though, I play games on my iPhone, and that's obviously all download.

So, for me, a switch away from disc-based games wouldn't be a big deal, in fact would be welcome, but they've got to realize that a download game can't cost more then $15, and there has to be a demo available. Since you can't resell a download game, you've got to be sure it's for you, and that means demos. For similar reasons the price can't be too high since there's no resell value in the future. The exception to the must-have-demo rule is super-cheap games that you might take a chance on even without a demo, as long as the reviews are good. See good 99c games on the iPhone, like Monster Dash. Or games you know you're going to like, such as Carcassonne and Reiner Knizia's Samurai, in my case. The latter two suck up most of my gaming time these days.

Crunchewy.png

#17 ObiBen

ObiBen

Form Titan!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:19 PM

I just want to thank Wombat for saying that buying used games does not make you a bad person. After some comments on the Joystiq Podcast last week I was feeling like scum for even thinking about buying a used game.

#18 Shakey Steve

Shakey Steve

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:26 PM

Soooo cute at the end...Tai has a Japanese accent :D

#19 MannishBoy

MannishBoy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:39 PM

Bose does do well at marketing. As to Shipwreck's comment that nobody offers small speakers that are comparable size wise, that is not true. There are lots of other and better small speakers available. Energy, Klipsch, maybe Aperion, etc.

The old, old, joke is "No highs, no lows....must be Bose".

A good place to research is avsforums.com

#20 mastermind

mastermind

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:50 PM

Came in here to see if Cheapy posted his ringtones or not and was sad when I didn't find any info about the first one he played. I want that as my ringtone!
Posted Image

#21 RichMeisterMan

RichMeisterMan

Umbrella Executive

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:54 PM

Soooo cute at the end...Tai has a Japanese accent :D

Well imagine that! A half Japanese kid growing up in Japan has a Japanese accent!

...sorry, I couldn't resist. I'm an asshole.

#22 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:56 PM

It's not only the speaker size, it's the size of the receiver that makes Bose an attractive option to me. I don't want a bulky receiver and I haven't seen many other low-profile receivers. To be honest, the AVS forums have always had too much info for me. I often leave that site with more questions than I had to begin with.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#23 mik

mik

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:18 PM

We just finished our basement and I had been investigating surround systems when I became quite enamored of soundbars. Those Yamaha models you mentioned are really nice, Cheapy. I think you'd be more than pleased with one of those. I decided on an even smaller model, because my room is just not all that big. I got the Sony HTCT 150, which is <$300 and pumps out a ridiculous amount of sound. The surround effect is decent, but not on par with the Yamahas--but the sound quality is stellar. The other thing I love about the soundbar solution is the lack of wires. I run four HDMIs into the subwoofer and a single HDMI out to the TV, and that's it. And the HDMI handshake makes it so I control the volume of the system with my TV remote--even though they're different brands--without programming it to do so. Pretty sweet. Oh, and the HTCT is also fully 3D compatible if it matters to you (it did to me--you are right about Motorstorm in 3D. It's amazing). Here are some pics to show just how small the little bastard is:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#24 easper

easper

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:23 PM

The whole brouhaha about not being able to use abilities in Metroid could have been avoided. All they had to do was replace the "you don't have permission" concept with Samus's suit getting damaged at the beginning of the game and it taking a certain period of time for the various weapons and abilities to come back online. I agree with Ship, its just a game convention. But they should have come up with a better excuse, if only to keep players from focusing on something so trivial.

#25 FasterTTW

FasterTTW

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:28 PM

In regards to retailers not supporting digitally distributed consoles.. I have to disagree with Wombat.

Ship made a great example with the iPods.. the store profits on their sale but not necessarily on the media for them.. I haven't even seen stores try to push cd's as a way to fill ipods.

Here's another example: record players. You can buy them in any Target, and a lot of other electronic stores, and yet you'll never find a single record(or any parts for them) without stepping foot into a specialty or hipster shop. Record players are certainly not as popular as game consoles or ipods, and yet target feels ok devoting half an aisle to them in every store.

I think a *mostly* digitally distributed future will be here before we know it, and I think publishers would love that and will help that come to fruition.

I also think Cheapy is right in saying that seeing a title on the shelf in a store is a great way to create awareness.. so certainly they'll need to consider that as we move through this transition. Steam proves that it's possible.

======

In regards to Red Dead's collection quests: I wouldn't call them fun, but i didn't mind completing them on the road to 100%. Plus, I quickly discovered that if you park your horse so it's standing over top of the dead animal, you skip the skinning animation altogether! The perks you get for finishing the challenges aren't entirely useless either.

#26 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:38 PM

mik, your basement looks awesome!

Cheapy why don't you look at what Klipsch and Nakamichi have to offer over Yamaha?

Those brands aren't sold here. In fact, a vast majority of stuff that is available in America (especially HTIB stuff) is just not sold here.
Also, I don't remember if I mentioned it on the show, but my proximity to Tokyo Tower tends to cause speaker wire to transform into radio antennas.

Came in here to see if Cheapy posted his ringtones or not and was sad when I didn't find any info about the first one he played. I want that as my ringtone!

It's in a pack of 50 for $3.99
Wheel A
http://rcptones.com/Ringtones1.0.html

#27 Duck in a Pond

Duck in a Pond

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:55 PM

Can't wait to listen!

#28 Broken Cage

Broken Cage

Don't Start Trouble

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:00 PM

Digital Distribution doesn't work because Publishers overcharge for it, constantly. Look at Civilization Revolution, it costs $15 used at Amazon, $19 new at Amazon, and $29 for the digital version on Games on Demand. $10 MORE despite no manufacturing expenses. Publishers are Publishers, I wouldn't call them good retailers, and taking the competition of actual retailers from the equation will see games MORE overpriced than they are now. Mark my words.

As for the difference between used and Piracy, it's this. Used is singular. You can buy A used game, you can make a THOUSAND copies of a game. If Wombat buys a game, and I purchase it after him, there's still only one game. If Wombat uploads a game, and I download it, that game is still there for a million other people to download after me. To not see that simple equation makes the Penny Arcade guys seem awfully ignorant.

A single used game floating in the market is always traded for a value, whether it be a trade in for a store credit, or money that Gamestop uses to purchase an inventory of new games. A pirated game is always distributed freely, it never feeds back into any section of the industry, whether it be developers or game retailers.

There are also a hundred other variables to go along with destroying the used market. What happens to all the "used" games people don't want if they can't resell? They'd go in the garbage. More waste for the planet, but better for Publisher's bottom line. What about the employees of Gamestop? What about the Mom and Pop local stores? They get laid off and go out of business, but better for Publisher's bottom line. At some point, the big picture has to outweigh corporate greed.

As for the way to make up the money from Used games, Capcom just did it. $5 dollars for a full on game, with its own demo, that people can enjoy EARLY to help offset the cost of development. Improved DLC that isn't just Weapons/Skins or an extra mission with no narrative. Brand loyalty, not "fuck you if we don't get your money." Better business sense, not just "release any garbage we can for $60.00, and hope we make money." Honestly, do the math, how many games are released each year by Publishers, and how many are quality games worth the $60.00 price tag?

Sorry for the rant.

Posted ImagePosted Image

I blog about playing video games: www.heavyattack.com

#29 ZombieJeebus

ZombieJeebus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:38 PM

About halfway through, great show as usual.

Ship, thanks for bringing up Ipod to blow Wombat's argument out of the water. Wombat has brought this up before, and every time I end up shouting "what about mp3 players then?"

His counter argument about it only can happen if you are an iconic brand like an ipod is weak too. Last I checked Target, Walmart and Best Buy all had dozens of different mp3 players. And the retailers can't even make extra money off of those with iTunes cards to sell.

Sooner or later (I'm guessing toward the end of this console gen) MS or Sony will put a major game out for download on day 1 with it coming out on retail. That is 60 bucks that goes straight into their pocket instead of having to share it with a retailer. Why would they not want to do that?
"I love you. But I also love hanging up on you."
Cheapy D, 12/16/2009

#30 rogXue

rogXue

Bringer of Death

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:46 PM

I forgot I posted a review for you guys on the 25th. I couldn't copy/paste so I didn't bother putting it in here. Under rogXue in most recent if you want to waste the time to track it down.