Photo
- - - - -

Duke Nukem Forever discussion - Out now!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
109 replies to this topic

#91 Mega Man

Mega Man

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:50 PM

One playthrough is enough. Got like 75% of the achievements I'm done

#92 Renegade Moose

Renegade Moose

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:47 PM

Yeah, I rented this on Redbox and played about an hour and half. Cheap $2 bias aside, IDK why all the hate. I guess its b/c most of the reviewers on other sites were younger than 10 years old when Duke3D hit and don't really get it. I'd say if you were a teenager (roughly 15-16, like I was) when that game came out, then Forever is not really a let down..

Every single one-liner that came out of Duke's mouth made me smile. All the fan service is great. The graphics are meh, but I think that is part of the appeal. I think its deliberate too. The controls handle surprisingly well, the variety of environments and vehicles is nice. Plus the achievements are/look fun, come easy and probably able to get close to 1000 w/ a couple play thru's.

Do I think its a $60 game? Probably not, but I will definitely add it to the library. No sense in hating this game..its definitely not bad-bad like the Dark Voids/Bionic Commandos of this generation..

Agreed, I think the game is getting a lot more flack than it deserves. Shipwreck's review seems to be the most fair that I have seen. Funny thing is how much praise it was getting from "journalists" before it came out and then post release everybody hates it. But that's their opinion, and as long as they back it up I'm fine with it even if I don't agree.

The game is far from perfect, but I just beat it last night and had a lot of fun. Duke's one liners made me smile and even actually laugh aloud at some spots. Really the only complaints I have are the graphics (though the art design is more creative than a lot of games these days) and the load times. It was nice to play a game where I can shoot enemies and not wonder how far I have to push forward to trigger the spawn to turn off (CoD).

I will probably get flamed for the CoD comment, but I liked Duke. I couldn't honestly recommend it at $60, but I know my friends that played the original in co-op with me would have fun with it, whether they rented it or bought it cheap.
Posted Image

#93 Matt Young

Matt Young

Follow the buzzards

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:38 PM

I was surprised about the reviews since I enjoyed the early access demo. Based on that, the game seems like a worthy $30 purchase. Full disclosure: I had never played a Duke game before this.

#94 S0DA POPINSKI

S0DA POPINSKI

New system, but such an last gen backlog still

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2011 - 10:40 PM

Agreed. MK9 is my favorite fighting game of this generation.

I third or 4th this or whatever. MK is a great game.

Duke would be like the Shaq-Fu of fighting games ;) Fuck

#95 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:35 PM

Demo has been posted online on Xbox.com (as well as available through the Dash), though it's a XBL Gold Exclusive for the moment:

http://marketplace.x...15-d80254548893

#96 nasum

nasum

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:04 PM

For those that have beat it, how long does it take on average difficulty for an average player? I'm pondering the $2 redbox, but don't really want to keep it for three days. If it can be done in one or two sittings over a 6-8 hour span then I think I'll grab it.
3DS Buddy Code 2767-0055-5245 send a pm with your code if you add and I will return the favor
XBL - Nasum2

#97 theytookourjobz

theytookourjobz

We Gotta Go Back

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2011 - 03:17 PM

For those that have beat it, how long does it take on average difficulty for an average player? I'm pondering the $2 redbox, but don't really want to keep it for three days. If it can be done in one or two sittings over a 6-8 hour span then I think I'll grab it.

I just redboxed it myself. Not due til tomorrow at 9, so I'll let ya know. If I can't finish it, I'll just re-rent it next week for another $2. Should be able to finish it in 4 days and for $4, it's not a bad deal.

#98 theytookourjobz

theytookourjobz

We Gotta Go Back

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:10 PM

Played a couple of hours and I fucking hate this game. Nothing resembling fun at all yet...

#99 JStryke

JStryke

Angel With A Shotgun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:36 AM

Finished my initial playthrough this afternoon. I'm a bit mixed on it. It had it's moments, but felt lacking. It being dated didn't bother me one bit. But I think for me, I was expecting more action than what I felt like I had. When I was blasting enemies, I was having some fun. When I wasn't, not so much. The minigames were also a nice touch, if a little frustrating (I'm looking at you pinball).

Overall, the only thing that I was generally displeased with as a whole was the load times. There may have been a few other minor things here or there, but if there were, they weren't dealbreakers by any stretch.

Also, only messed with it for maybe an hour, but for the single player being what it is, the multiplayer is fun. Reminiscent of the old duke / quake days. Just some crazy hectic fun. And minimal respawn time is a plus to me. My only complaint? I seem to suck. :razz:

I only rented it and will probably give it back tomorrow, but I can see myself picking this up when it hits $20 or so, if only to wrap up the final achievements (don't think I have time to do so now). That was another nice thing (although hardly important). It's a relatively easy 1000G. Just a few frustrating ones, but even those aren't too bad.

I stream on Twitch. At least two times a week. http://www.twitch.tv/jstryker416

JStryker416.png

#100 hustletron

hustletron

the struggle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:49 AM

I tried the demo and as much as I want to like it and as big a Duke fan as I am, this game looks terrible.

I thought it was cool in the beginning, fighting the big cyclops, then it just kept dragging on shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot till it died. I played till I picked up the shrink ray and turned it off.

Just couldn't get into the demo.

fs_overall.png

#101 theytookourjobz

theytookourjobz

We Gotta Go Back

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:53 AM

I tried the demo and as much as I want to like it and as big a Duke fan as I am, this game looks terrible.

I thought it was cool in the beginning, fighting the big cyclops, then it just kept dragging on shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot till it died. I played till I picked up the shrink ray and turned it off.

Just couldn't get into the demo.

Love your avatar. So ballin.

#102 hustletron

hustletron

the struggle

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:05 PM

Love your avatar. So ballin.

Tight butthole

fs_overall.png

#103 lolwut?

lolwut?

Thank you BasedGod

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:03 AM

If I'm at the
Spoiler
level how much longer do I have to go?

Edited by lolwut?, 25 June 2011 - 11:27 AM.

#104 JStryke

JStryke

Angel With A Shotgun

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:44 PM

If I'm at the

Spoiler

Spoiler

I stream on Twitch. At least two times a week. http://www.twitch.tv/jstryker416

JStryker416.png

#105 mrfury

mrfury

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:06 PM

If I'm at the

Spoiler

Spoiler

Posted Image

#106 mrfury

mrfury

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:12 PM

If you just blast through it without searching or anything it should last around 13-15 hours. If you actually spend time doing everything probably around 20 hours.
Posted Image

#107 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:26 PM

The PC version of Duke Forever is getting a patch that adds the ability to carry four weapons at once:

http://kotaku.com/58...eapon-inventory

But they haven't announced it for consoles yet. Let's hope!

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#108 CaptainKirk

CaptainKirk

Posted 24 September 2011 - 04:57 AM

I thought there was suppost to be some sort of free DLC for First Access Club...

...did it ever come?

#109 MillerTime2523

MillerTime2523

FUN TIMES IN CLEVELAND

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:48 AM

Just got this on sale at Gamefly. Not a huge fan but I'm going for 1000 g's in it and probably won't touch it again after that.

Anyone else just get into this game?

cavs1-sm.gifrangers2-sm.gifcle1-sm.gif
Now Playing

:360: FIFA 14

#110 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:52 AM

New DLC coming next week:

http://kotaku.com/58...oming-next-week

-Paul Acevedo