Photo
- - - - -

Dragon Age II - Gen. Discussion and Info - Mark of the Assassin DLC 10/11 800 pts.

• Please log in to reply
1523 replies to this topic

#1471 MrPiggles

MrPiggles

Better Call Saul

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:21 PM

DAIII just got officially confirmed, so I went ahead and made the thread for it, right here: http://www.cheapassg...d.php?p=9976469

#1472 Anexanhume

Anexanhume

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:05 PM

DAIII just got officially confirmed, so I went ahead and made the thread for it, right here: http://www.cheapassg...d.php?p=9976469

A bioware title thread not started by Ryu or X. This is new :)

Ah yes, Project Eternity.

Pros:
It's Obsidian.
Cons: PC ONLY.

Not sure I can overcome the butthurt long enough to throw a $5 their way but I'll try to make it happen for you two.

...Eventually.

Maybe after this we can get them to patch KOTORII with the real ending and content :D

#1473 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

The electronics of your heart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:18 PM

MrPiggles beat me to it. :D But it's cool since I'm already doing the Borderlands 2 thread right now, which I didn't actually start but instead inherited from a former poster who shall not be named. ;)

card.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#1474 MrPiggles

MrPiggles

Better Call Saul

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:41 PM

MrPiggles beat me to it. :D But it's cool since I'm already doing the Borderlands 2 thread right now, which I didn't actually start but instead inherited from a former poster who shall not be named. ;)

I made it wiki-editable so if you want to add/change something, go right ahead. ;)

#1475 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:47 PM

Maybe after this we can get them to patch KOTORII with the real ending and content :D

There are mods out there for KOTORII that give you that since most of that data was in KOTORII's game files. Now, whether or not those are available with new Steam version of the game, I do not know.

Also, not directed at you Anex, but how is PC Only a con? There are plenty of PC Only games that have been hugely successful.

As for this, I hope we get some details and teasers pretty soon, but I doubt it. My biggest gripe with DA2 was how unbalanced and convuluted the story flowed. A story needs to flow, not constantly change antagonists to the point you're like "who's next." Also, needs more Leliana. :bouncy:
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#1476 Anexanhume

Anexanhume

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:53 PM

There are mods out there for KOTORII that give you that since most of that data was in KOTORII's game files. Now, whether or not those are available with new Steam version of the game, I do not know.

Also, not directed at you Anex, but how is PC Only a con? There are plenty of PC Only games that have been hugely successful.

As for this, I hope we get some details and teasers pretty soon, but I doubt it. My biggest gripe with DA2 was how unbalanced and convuluted the story flowed. A story needs to flow, not constantly change antagonists to the point you're like "who's next." Also, needs more Leliana. :bouncy:

I know, but it's still not what Obsidian would have intended.

Also, it's only a con if you have a publisher/publisher's budget to answer to

#1477 chubbyninja1319

chubbyninja1319

Enchantments?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:28 PM

Frankly I would love it if all the people who hated DA2 would just go away and stop talking about it. But this is the internet, the only thing more fun than playing a game you like is complaining about a game you don't like. :lol: I predict that everyone who was "never going to buy another BioWare game again" after DA2, then "never going to buy another BioWare game again" after ME3, will all be back for thirds.

This. 100 times over. Ryuu, you beat me to it. Haters gonna hate, but it's funny how they find their way to the forums of games that they hate or that wronged them so thoroughly.

Like I said, DA2 is an under-appreciated gem of this generation and it's a great experiment that took the genre that relies on epic scale and made a tightly woven and thoroughly enjoyable character piece that set in motion the rest of the franchise. People don't seem to understand the series need something to trigger the future of the series now that the darkspawn had been beaten back.

Well, R.I.P. DA2 forum. It's sad that you ended this way
Spoiler

Over to the DAIII Forum!!
Chubbyninja1319.png
~<{ Whatever we were before, we are now the Inquisition }>~

#1478 Ink.So.Well.

Ink.So.Well.

Well.Went.Wild.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:34 PM

I'm seriously convinced that I'm the only person who enjoyed KOTOR II a little more than the original. The storyline was stupid, of course, but since I've never been a serious SW fan I couldn't care less. The game play was worth it. Everyone wanted a piece of my Jedi's Kitkat and the ending could have set up a half decent sequel.

Plus... DAT KELLY HU. My ears can't get enough of her voice.

But seriously... what was the real ending?

Also, not directed at you Anex, but how is PC Only a con?

Because I can't play it?

I'm far too stubborn and lazy to upgrade my PC. Consoles own me.

Stop trying to Scooby-Doo this. We're not going to solve this mystery for you. 

#1479 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:41 PM

Like I said, the requirements should be low as Fuck.

And the game's, like, a year and a half off bare minimum.

Posted Image

#1480 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:43 PM

Did people really hate the gameplay that much? I thought the gameplay was fine (better, even). It was just the loss of choice that affected the gameplay.

And the story and recycled environments are separate concerns of course. ;)

It didn't bother me one bit, though there was plenty of people bitching about it.

For me, the story could certainly have been better, though that can always be a complaint. The recycled environments were ridiculous.

Frankly I would love it if all the people who hated DA2 would just go away and stop talking about it. But this is the internet, the only thing more fun than playing a game you like is complaining about a game you don't like. :lol: I predict that everyone who was "never going to buy another BioWare game again" after DA2, then "never going to buy another BioWare game again" after ME3, will all be back for thirds.

Or fourths. ;)

#1481 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:52 PM

Did people really hate the gameplay that much? I thought the gameplay was fine (better, even).

I missed that question, but... yeah. It was pretty... really bad...

Posted Image

#1482 simosaurus

simosaurus

Wasting time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:10 PM

This. 100 times over. Ryuu, you beat me to it. Haters gonna hate, but it's funny how they find their way to the forums of games that they hate or that wronged them so thoroughly.

I hear ya. How about a general agreement that everyone who wants to continue to talk about how DA2 sucked, angered them, and was overall so bad that it adversely impacted their quality of life can continue to hang out here while the rest of us who are looking forward to DA3 can discuss it and share news over on the other thread.

Simosaurus.png

#1483 Zmonkay

Zmonkay

Awesome in Small Doses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:11 PM

Insert generic "DA:O better than DA2, would be excited for this if they confirmed a return to DA:O style, at least we have Project Eternity to look forward to" comment here...
For Sale: Like New/Opened Once Japanese Transformer 2010 Reissue Predaking http://www.cheapassg...291#post2498291

yourfree360games referal: SIGN UP AND GET FREE 360 games with easy and free (or dirt cheap) trial offers
http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=233445

#1484 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:43 PM

I hear ya. How about a general agreement that everyone who wants to continue to talk about how DA2 sucked, angered them, and was overall so bad that it adversely impacted their quality of life can continue to hang out here while the rest of us who are looking forward to DA3 can discuss it and share news over on the other thread.

I'm not even talking about here. :) The people here are cool dudes with interesting well-formed opinions, even if I don't always agree.

What gets to me is how EVERY SINGLE ARTICLE on a BioWare game on Joystiq or Destructoid or whatever gets flooded with 500 comments about how "Dargon Age 2 r teh suck mang!!!1" Broken record style, with nothing to add and nothing interesting to say.

#1485 Ink.So.Well.

Ink.So.Well.

Well.Went.Wild.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:10 AM

I'm not even talking about here. :) The people here are cool dudes with interesting well-formed opinions, even if I don't always agree.

This is why CAG is my "home" board so to speak. The average poster here is rational enough to differentiate between run of the mill critiquing and nonsensical vitriol spewing.

We can agree to disagree without taking personal offense like a bunch of weirdos.

Well... most of the time anyway.

My stance on the game hasn't changed much from when it was initially announced. Good game was good, but not what I wanted. A lot of minor changes combined to form enough of a problem that I couldn't justify multiple playthroughs. I adapted (as I always do) but wasn't having much fun doing so. I can see why people hated the wave based combat, but oddly enough it didn't bother me until I mistakenly ran a Nightmare playthrough. I will never make that mistake again.

Oh, and I still feel the core combat from DA:O to DA2 hadn't changed THAT much. Not enough for me to notice anyway.

What gets to me is how EVERY SINGLE ARTICLE on a BioWare game on Joystiq or Destructoid or whatever gets flooded with 500 comments about how "Dargon Age 2 r teh suck mang!!!1" Broken record style, with nothing to add and nothing interesting to say.

^This however... us "haters" are not to be associated with ever. We speak on behalf of ourselves not the rest of the internet. No Butthurt Bandwagons were used during posting of this message and it irks me when people overreact here because of the status quo of other boards/websites. It's remarkably stupid to generalize that quickly.

#1486 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

In case anyone missed it in the Deals forum:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=333861

Unlock all Origins and DA2 promo content for free (the content for DA2 is listed here, minus the "Fan Reward Pack - Arlathan Focusing Crystal, Band of Stolen Shadows & Hawke Family Crest" which was originally given out to fans at San Diego Comic Con).

#1487 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

Ryu beat me to the punch. I did it with no issues.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#1488 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

Going to replay the game on PS3 now and pick up some trophies to go with my achievements. :lol:

#1489 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

In case anyone missed it in the Deals forum:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=333861

Unlock all Origins and DA2 promo content for free (the content for DA2 is listed here, minus the "Fan Reward Pack - Arlathan Focusing Crystal, Band of Stolen Shadows & Hawke Family Crest" which was originally given out to fans at San Diego Comic Con).

The Fan Reward pack shows up for me.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#1490 chubbyninja1319

chubbyninja1319

Enchantments?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

The fan pack is showing up for me too. But, Sir Isaac's armor is not. That's the one thing I wanted in particular. Is it showing up for anybody else who didn't already have it?
Chubbyninja1319.png

#1491 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

The Fan Reward pack shows up for me.

Sorry, that was unclear, I meant it's the only one that you get that is not listed on the page that lists all the promo DLC.

#1492 giantqtipz

giantqtipz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

I am honestly having a blast so far.

I've just finished far cry 3 and picked up DA2 for $10 on BB. My first playthrough is on nightmare and it was frustrating at first, but with the right skillset, companions and tactics, nightmare is manageable... so far. I did die a lot, but not as much now.

I have no complaints about this game... I had a lot with Far Cry 3 haha, but this game is as addictive as DA:O to me.

I read about how the dungeons are reused. I did encounter that once (since I'm still early in the game, can't progress as fast on nightmare). But I don't think that's going to bother me, considering how often I died on nightmare, ill get used to the repetitiveness.

#1493 giantqtipz

giantqtipz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

okkk so ive just hit tge first major boss and im thinking of reducing the difficulty

im so unprepared for this fight.

i didnt bring any healers as well (didnt really use anders much).

my party consist of varric (locked), fenris, dw rogue and merrill

i have merrill speced in the primal tree, so all attacks are electricity based, and the damn boss and its minions are immuned to electricty! ughhh

im not dishing out any damage at all. since i was unprepared for the fight, i have to micromanage everyone every goddamn second. it is so annoying. it took me 20 mins just to bring the boss's health to 50%.

#1494 kdiddy1989

kdiddy1989

2011 NBA Champions

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

How would you rate Dragon Age 2 in comparison to DA:Origins? If I LOVED Origins, will I LOVE DA2? I just finished Origins and am about to start Awakening as I've cleared most the DLC. Excited to start DA2, and I'm thinking about playing it immediately after Awakening (as opposed to playing a different game in between)

#1495 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

The popular opinion (mine as well) is that DA2 is inferior to DA:O/Awakening. Saying that, I actually enjoyed Dragon Age 2 despite it's obvious flaws. The only advantage I would say it has over Origins is that the squadmates are far more interesting in DA2. But yeah, since you're in a Dragon Age streak, you should play it.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#1496 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

I guess I'll represent the ranting assholes who just can't let it go and say that, while I really liked DAO, I have to struggle to think of anything that I genuinely enjoyed in its sequel. Some of the art changes were pretty cool, I guess, and I am legitimately impressed that they made it much clearer how much damage is done by what, but pretty much everything else - combat, plot, characters, aesthetics, etc. - felt like a huge step down.

Posted Image

#1497 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

How would you rate Dragon Age 2 in comparison to DA:Origins? If I LOVED Origins, will I LOVE DA2? I just finished Origins and am about to start Awakening as I've cleared most the DLC. Excited to start DA2, and I'm thinking about playing it immediately after Awakening (as opposed to playing a different game in between)

I am a member of the probably very small group who liked DA2 a lot better than Origins. :)

The reuse of the same maps to represent different areas was really shoddy and undeniably a major problem. But that is pretty much the only thing I don't love about the game. I liked the aesthetic changes to the design of elves and qunari. I liked the voiced protagonist. I thought the party members were much more unique and interesting than in Origins. I thought the story was a refreshing change from the usual globe-trotting save the world stuff. And I appreciated the overall ME1->ME2 style streamlining of the interface and gameplay (though the changes were much less pronounced than in the Mass Effect series).

Go in with an open mind at least. I hope you enjoy it!

#1498 The Crotch

The Crotch

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

For all that I am a roiling mass of unadulterated hatred, the re-used environments were actually one of my smaller complaints.

Posted Image

#1499 Ink.So.Well.

Ink.So.Well.

Well.Went.Wild.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

How would you rate Dragon Age 2 in comparison to DA:Origins?

Decent at best, but thought DA:O was infinitely superior.

If I LOVED Origins, will I LOVE DA2?

The only person who can actually answer this question is you. Go in with an open mind as Ryu suggested but don't be surprised if a lot of the changes rub you the wrong way.

#1500 chubbyninja1319

chubbyninja1319

Enchantments?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:54 AM

I'm with Ryuu. I loved DA2. More than DA:O. They are just different in some ways. Both good, both worth playing. People who can't get past the reused environments or the contained and narrowly focused story don't see it for what I believe DA2 was.....a transition from the Blight to a much larger and more human threat. Politics.

Go read Asunder while you're at it. Great book that takes DA2 and spins the tension even tighter and sets up Thedas for DA3. Can't. Wait.

BTW, that DA Tome is coming out in April. Still sketchy details at best, but I think it could end up being pretty badass if you're into the detailed universe David Gaider and the DA team have created.
Chubbyninja1319.png