Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper $19.99 @ Newegg

Walmarts have these for 19.99 from what I've seen. I'd say that's probably the price you'll see it at most places. And yes, wait for a lower price point. This game is a rental for sure.

I bought it at walmart a few months ago for $19.99 but haven't had a chance to open it yet. I bought it hoping that it would be like the movie From Hell. I will have to check it out tonight.

[quote name='mossman43']I bought it at walmart a few months ago for $19.99 but haven't had a chance to open it yet. I bought it hoping that it would be like the movie From Hell. I will have to check it out tonight.[/QUOTE]

It's a point and click adventure converted to the 360. I think its the third or 4th in the series but the first on the 360. It's a puzzle game. Most puzzles are not too obtuse but some really are... Some are just silly in their inclusion. (aka they're filler)

I found a good online guide when I went through it... It helped allot with the achievements. Some can be missed and its not really a game you want to miss achievements in as its not really a game with replayability. (also some of the voice acting is a bit rough.)

In complete honesty... It was my fascination with the case is what made me pick this up (I also waited till it was 20 bucks) and in that it really paid off... It covered allot of ground. From the murders themselves, to the letters (and the media's coverage of them), to the possible bumbling of the case by Scotland Yard, and, well, to the Antisemitism of that day and age... and it did so in very clever ways and its surprising T rated game shows this. (Anyone whose seen the crime photos of Mary Kelly can attest to this.)

That said I would still be leery of younger teens playing it... (I would let them play Halo if it matters.)

Very interesting conclusion to the game/case and one I really liked. Frankly, it was almost shocking in its as I expected something more by the numbers than it was Also the ending was... well, I guess the word I'm looking for is... humility but not at the same time. (I don't want to spoil the ending so I'll just leave it at that.)

Now, I'm not trying to talk them game up... I think my own opinion of it (probably around a 4 out of 5 on the CAG scale) will differ greatly than the average gamer... and I wouldn't argue if someone thought the game was even a low as a 1 star... so really 20 bucks isn't bad if its for you. If its not then you will hate this game.

I'm starting to see this at a lot of GameStop's. I think everyone is turning in the $20 Wal-Mart copy..though I think the used copy is something like $24.99 ($23 online) which isn't even funny. I guess my point is, it'll be something like $8.99 in a bin someday..

[quote name='token2k6']I'm starting to see this at a lot of GameStop's. I think everyone is turning in the $20 Wal-Mart copy..though I think the used copy is something like $24.99 ($23 online) which isn't even funny. I guess my point is, it'll be something like $8.99 in a bin someday..[/QUOTE]

It's not even worth 8.99. Its awful.

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']It's a point and click adventure converted to the 360. I think its the third or 4th in the series but the first on the 360. It's a puzzle game. Most puzzles are not too obtuse but some really are... Some are just silly in their inclusion. (aka they're filler)

I found a good online guide when I went through it... It helped allot with the achievements. Some can be missed and its not really a game you want to miss achievements in as its not really a game with replayability. (also some of the voice acting is a bit rough.)

In complete honesty... It was my fascination with the case is what made me pick this up (I also waited till it was 20 bucks) and in that it really paid off... It covered allot of ground. From the murders themselves, to the letters (and the media's coverage of them), to the possible bumbling of the case by Scotland Yard, and, well, to the Antisemitism of that day and age... and it did so in very clever ways and its surprising T rated game shows this. (Anyone whose seen the crime photos of Mary Kelly can attest to this.)

That said I would still be leery of younger teens playing it... (I would let them play Halo if it matters.)

Very interesting conclusion to the game/case and one I really liked. Frankly, it was almost shocking in its as I expected something more by the numbers than it was Also the ending was... well, I guess the word I'm looking for is... humility but not at the same time. (I don't want to spoil the ending so I'll just leave it at that.)

Now, I'm not trying to talk them game up... I think my own opinion of it (probably around a 4 out of 5 on the CAG scale) will differ greatly than the average gamer... and I wouldn't argue if someone thought the game was even a low as a 1 star... so really 20 bucks isn't bad if its for you. If its not then you will hate this game.[/QUOTE]

That was a fantastic summary.
Thank you for taking the time to elaborate.
Definitely has me reconsidering my pricepoint.

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']It's a point and click adventure converted to the 360. I think its the third or 4th in the series but the first on the 360. It's a puzzle game. Most puzzles are not too obtuse but some really are... Some are just silly in their inclusion. (aka they're filler)

Now, I'm not trying to talk them game up... I think my own opinion of it (probably around a 4 out of 5 on the CAG scale) will differ greatly than the average gamer... and I wouldn't argue if someone thought the game was even a low as a 1 star... so really 20 bucks isn't bad if its for you. If its not then you will hate this game.[/QUOTE]

I agree, the game is fun but flawed. Definitely worth 20, if you like the genre.

Monkey Island XBLA games are better investments IMO.

For a point and click game, I guess its ok. Just thought it was very boring and really only played it for the 1000 gs.

[quote name='vikingvessel']That was a fantastic summary.[/quote]

Hey thanks for reading it. :)

[quote name='vikingvessel']Definitely has me reconsidering my pricepoint.[/QUOTE]Cool, if/when you buy it in the future don't hesitate to send me a PM, even if its just to yell at me, as I wouldn't mind hearing another person's take on the ending.

(That goes for anyone.)

Our Senior Editor, Jenn, wrote a review for this awhile back, you can check it out here if you'd like.

She liked the game for what it is....a point and click mystery. I haven't had a chance to play it just yet, but some people might find it as a worthwhile time filler.

bread's done
Back