CAG Lord of the Rings Online Kinship

AdvOfJet

CAGiversary!
Feedback
60 (100%)
To clear up some space on the main deals thread I though I would move things over to the PC forum to try and get a group together of new players since LOTRO has moved to F2P.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sales

Double Bonus Points On the Largest Bundle - Through 7/4
6,900 Turbine Points - $49.99

Store Sales - 7/8 - 7/14
Monster XP Boosts - 79-900 (20% off)
Skill Deed Boosts - 40-360 (20% off)
Slayer Deed Accelerators - 60-360 (20% off)
+25% Legendary Item Experience Tomes - 17-72 (20% off)

Summer Sale Week One
July 1 - Virtue: Valor - 207 (30% off)
July 2 - Dusky Nimblefoot Goat - 796 (20% off)
July 3 - Vitality Stat Tomes - 221 (25% off)
July 4 - Relic Packs - 45-1395 (10% off)
July 5 - Trait Slot: Virtue - 67 (30% off)
July 6 - Character Slots - 357 (30% off)
July 7 - Virtue Justice - 207 (40% off)

Summer Sale Week Two - Through 7/14
July 8 - Rune-Keeper Class - 597 (25% off)
July 9 - Might Stat Tomes - 222 (25% off)
July 10 - Virtue: Determination - 207 (30% off)
July 11 - Trait Slot: Class - 67 (30% off)
July 12 - Simple Rally Horn - 48 (50% off)
July 13 - 5 Addition Auction House Post Slots - 72-147 (25% off)
July 14 - Black Dye - 60-270 (40% off)

Get Ready For Isengard Sale - Undetermined End Time
All Quest Packs & Expansion - 20% off
Legacies - 20% off
Battle Potion of Restoration - 20% off

Pre-Purchase Isengard Expansion - Through 9/26
Legendary - $49.99
- Rise of Isengard Expansion
- 3 Rohirrim Style Mounts
- 3 matching Rohirrim Cosmetic Armour
- In-Game Title "Guard of the Isen"
- Access to Trollshaws, Eregion, Lothloerien, Moria, and Mirkwood Quest Packs
- 1,000 Turbine Points
- A 25% experience boost for all future and current characters up to level 65
- 3 Cosmetic Cloaks matching the colour of your armour and mounts

Heroic - $39.99
- Choice of 1 Rohirrim Mount
- 1 matching Rorirrim Cosmetic Armour
- 1 Cosmetic Cloak matching the colour of your armour and mount

Base - $29.99
- 1 Red Rohirrim Mount
- 1 Cosmetic Cloak matching the colour of your mount

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our Current Server - Riddermark

Kinship Name - Citizens Against Gnomes
Kinship Website - http://cag.guildlaunch.com/

If you want to join feel free to post and let us know. The more the merrier!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CURRENT MEMBERS
CAG NAME - CHARACTER NAME / CLASS - ALTS
* = Officer (PM for invite to the Kinship, or post in this thread)

* Kaltic -
Kalorin / Dwarf Champion.
Kaligard / Human Warden, Keladrian / Elf Rune-Keeper
* Draekon - Sorcha - Elf Rune Keeper, Brosco / Hobbit Burglar, Sorial / Elf Hunter, Draekon / Human Warden
* redline - Buvo / Hobbit Minstrel
* AdvOfJet - Quantus / Human Lore Master
* DarkonJohn - Darkon / Dwarf Champion
Nirvana92 - Conuiron / Captain
hustletron - Hustletron / Human Captain
Megiddo_CAG - Gatsby / Human-Champion.
DukeEdwardI - Rodhir / Elf Hunter
Megazell - Megazell / Human Guardian
LifesBane -
m_d_amore - Bigpar / Human Loremaster
halfbent - Zym / Hobbit Guardian
MBENNE - Stryn / Hobbit Hunter
I LIEK CHOCOLATEMILK - Sufjan / Human Guardian
AK85 - Legionarius / Elf Hunter
volt1up - Vanmurdergood / Human Champion
crystalklear64 - Wasp / Human Burglar, Gheed / Dwarf Hunter, Jams / Hobbit Minstrel
Logg - Loggjaw / Runekeeper
nuromutt - Tjinn / Hobbit Minstrel

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll join probably! Still need to setup an account and download the client again... I used to play back when LOTRO was first released and was P2P.

So..

Is this game any good? Is there any PVP or end-game PVE? How does it compare to the "other Juggernaut"?

I played it initially for a little while when it first came out. At the times I was coming off a year or so of WoW and I enjoyed LOTRO much more. At least in my opinion the main story line in this is vastly superior.

However with the base game being F2P now you can always just check it out and if you don't like it... nothing wasted or lost.

Well I know there is PVP. But when I played you couldn't play as any of the Evil forces, only the Good forces. That was the PVE though, however the PVP was when you could only play as The Forces of Mordor.

As how it compares to WoW, I'm going to say it was not as Commercially successful, and might only be interesting to those interested in the Lord of the Rings universe.

Still downloading....

Oh, and can USA players play with EU players?

I have a few friends with an EU account I've wanted to play with and just want to know if it's at all possible.

I just want to throw out there for people who played with a subscription at one point, but are now marked as Premium. Every zone except for the three racial starting zones cost a fee if you want to unlock them. So lets throw out some math...

Code:
Points  Zone            Levels   Instances   Raids
350     Lone Lands      22-32    1           0
595     North Downs     18-40    1           0
795     Angmar          40-50    3           1
695     Enedwaith       65+      0           0
695     Eregion         45-50    2           0
595     Euindim         32-50    3           0
595     Forochel        39-52    0           0
695     Misty Mountain  39-50    1           0
595     Trollshaws      30-50    0           0

-------------------------------------------------
5610   All Zones
If you subscribe monthly they're all unlocked but are taken away when you go back to Premium. Expansions like Mines of Moria and Mirkwood you keep. Of course you keep other things from VIP status such as unlimited gold, 5 bags, etc.

To gain points in the game you get around 5 for basic deeds, 10 for advanced, and 15 for the next tier. In the three starting zones alone if you take the time to do everything (it takes a while) you can make at least 500 points per character (I'm doing a rough estimate). As for the cost of points (not including deals):

Code:
Points  Cost
420     $6.50
1550    $19.50
2500    $29.50
5000    $50.00

However buying Mines of Moria (Price rose from $8 last night to $9.50 this morning) gets you all the content and a 30 day sub which counts as VIP. Because of this you get 500 turbine points for that month. Also for the next 30 minutes you can get the VIP starter pack from D2D for $5 which can get you a total of 1500 turbine points (because of the 1000 automatic and the 30 month VIP access). That is easily enough points to get Angmar, Lone Lands, and North Downs (which will level you up quite a ways). Along with that you will left with roughly 350 or so which is fairly close to another quest pack

Anyway onto the subject at hand. How we going to get this group up and running? Post in-game names or something? Because I am totally up for playing with a group of CAGs (even though I will be busy with Halo Reach from the 14th on).

I'm going to go ahead and throw out some info from the thread in the main deals forum that was helpful to me.

[quote name='Guerrilla']It's not too hard to find the Collector's Edition of Mines of Moria Complete for only a few dollars more, which includes:

647498b.jpg

• Unique premium book packaging
  • 3 in-game item tokens that can be used to pick from 8 different in-game items
  • 22” x 22” premium quality cloth map of the Mines of Moria
  • Special gold-plated replica of The One Ring complete with chain and pouch
  • Mines of Moria poster
  • Middle-earth map
  • The Lord of the Rings Online Art and Music Collection with the official Mines of Moria Soundtrack
  • Full color Collector’s Edition Starter Guide
  • Online Community Badge for LOTRO forums
  • Includes the 2007 PC MMO Game of the Year, Shadows of Angmar, all content updates, plus the Mines of Moria expansion.
  • 30 Days Free Game Time
  • Quick Reference Card
  • Product Key Card
  • 14–day free Buddy Key Cards (3 Keys)
  • Starter guide
  • Manual (pdf)
  • Entry into the $25,000 The Treasures of Moria Instant Win and Sweepstakes (probably expired)
It's backordered on Amazon for $9.99 (shipping eta 2-3 weeks), but eBay, local Gamestops, and other places will be around $10-12. Definitely worth the few extra bucks.[/QUOTE]

I managed to find a copy on half.com for $11.42 shipped! That ended up being cheaper than ordering the standard edition off Amazon and paying the standard shipping there (didn't really feel like spending $25 to get free shipping).

Also, you can find 60 day pre-paid cards from 3rd party sellers on Amazon for as low as $13 shipped. (Link) That's $6.50/month for VIP access and you get 1000 points over those 60 days!

[quote name='JeriKu']So..

Is this game any good? Is there any PVP or end-game PVE? How does it compare to the "other Juggernaut"?[/QUOTE]

Well I know Monster Play is exclusive to VIP members, which costs a monthly subscription of $14.99. Monster Play is the evil side of PVP. I don't think it says if you can or can't play the good side as a free or premium user though. But I have done enough searching and digging around for info last night. I am finally going to play.

One thing to remember is that nothing is really locked or blocked off to Free to play players. The areas are all open, you just won't get any side quests in the areas outside the starter zones. The "Epic Storyline" quests are available throughout the game for free.
(Of course at a certain point to get to a high enough level to complete those quests, you'll probably need to kill a lot of wandering monsters since you won't have the xp from side quests.)

The PvP is called Monster play and is unlocked at lvl 10 for VIP members. You can play as a monster from that point on in PvP. If you want to play as a hero in PvP, your hero needs to be lvl 40 I believe.

Also, I'd like to make the point that because a game is commercially successful, doesn't necessarily make it a better game.

The Petz series of games have sold 17 million copies.

The graphics in LotRO look MUCH better than WoW and a storyline based on J.R.R. Tolkien's classic fantasy series has a lot more to work with than one based on an RTS.

Anyone else notice that you have (or at least I do) 2 character slots? F2P people are only supposed to have 1 and I haven't used my VIP starter kit yet (and even with that the slots would be higher).

You're suppose to have two per server as a "Free" player. Go re-check the comparison chart.

EDIT: I'll also restart on Riddermark I guess. I have a level 35 on Meneldor but it's not really a big deal. Here's hoping that it's not too much of a pain to get points to buy quest packs. I went ahead and spent $5 at DirectDrive for the 1000 points since it's not much and I figure I might play this longer than I did before. Will post my character name(s) and their classes shortly.

By the way, each race starts in different areas for the most part. You start in a solo instance and work your way to the "newbie" instance (Dwarf/Elves or Human/Hobbit) and from there you unlock your home zones, which is the normal open world. It's not too difficult to get to the same starting area at that point I think.

EDIT 2: I'll stick with this for the moment on my characters

Sorcha - Elf Rune Keeper (My main character most likely)
Brosco - Hobbit Burglar
Sorial - Elf Hunter
Draekon - Human Warden

Odd that the character slot thing is the ONLY thing changed between the beta comparison chart and the actual game comparison chart. It is also annoying that no other website than LOTRO has the new comparison chart. I say that because the LOTRO website is crap. Try and find a FAQ (without already knowing where it is)... I dare you....

EDIT: Anyway I am Kalorin - Dwarf Champion on Riddermark. Level 8 or something. I won't be on much this evening (probably nearer to midnight I will be on).

Looks like once you finish the newbie instance you can get a Special Writ of Passage that'll allow free travel to wherever for a short while (in your mailbox). Guess it isn't as difficult to group up once you finish the newbie instance.

Anyhow, I don't really play late night so don't expect to see me on during that time. Also, don't try and start a kinship until we have at least 8 players that we can add to the kinship within the first 24 hours or else it will auto-disband.

I noticed that today-only they LOTO is offering 6,900 Turbine points for $49.95.

Compared to time cards going for $13 which give you 1,000 points (500 per month), it would cost about $91 in time cards to get the same number of points. Of couse, those time cards would also give you 14 months of VIP play time.

But if you buy the 6,900 points for $49.95 with this deal, couldn't you just buy most of the extra content you get as part of the VIP subscription?

Not sure if this is a good deal or not, but am tempted to buy it since the deal ends today.

I wasnt able to find the collectors edition but I did pick up the Standard Mines of Moria Complete for $5.00 at GS after using a $5 gift card I had laying around. Entered it in and it did add an additional month of VIP access to my account which means another 500 points again next month. Not to bad then its like buying the points and getting the expansion free.

So my total out of pocket for the game so far has been $10 for 2 months VIP access and 2000 points. Not too bad. I'm sure I can get at least that amount of enjoyment of out the game over the next few months.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']I wasnt able to find the collectors edition but I did pick up the Standard Mines of Moria Complete for $5.00 at GS after using a $5 gift card I had laying around. Entered it in and it did add an additional month of VIP access to my account which means another 500 points again next month. Not to bad then its like buying the points and getting the expansion free.

So my total out of pocket for the game so far has been $10 for 2 months VIP access and 2000 points. Not too bad. I'm sure I can get at least that amount of enjoyment of out the game over the next few months.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same situations since I picked up the D2D deal and ordered the Mines CE from Amazon for $9.99 (backordered, but I'm thinking it may ship sooner).

Does anyone know if they offer deals on the Turbine points on a regular basis, or is the $49.99 for 6,900 points a rare things due to the Free to Play launch?

Started playing LOTRO over the summer, currently a "premium" player with both Moria and Mirkwood unlocked but no way to get there =D. I know a decent amount of the game (obviously not endgame) and I rerolled a captain on Riddermark to play with some fellow CAGs. Names Conuiron, looking forward to seeing you all in-game :lol:

I'll make a new character for that server.

My game time for this game will be Wednesday 10:30 PM EST to 11:30 PM EST.

I post the name and such when I log on next Wed.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']To clear up some space on the main deals thread I though I would move things over to the PC forum to try and get a group together of new players since LOTRO has moved to F2P.

Currently we are looking at the Server :

Riddermark

If you want to join feel free to post and let us know. The more the merrier!

CURRENT MEMBERS

CAG NAME - CHARACTER NAME / CLASS - ALTS

Kaltic - Kalorin / Dwarf Champion

Draekon - Sorcha - Elf Rune Keeper, Brosco / Hobbit Burglar, Sorial / Elf Hunter, Draekon / Human Warden
Nirvana92 - Conuiron / Captain

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once we get at least 8 people playing on the same server we'll go ahead and get the kinship setup.
[/QUOTE]

DarkonJohn (CAG) - Darkon / Dwarf Champion (Riddermark)

Just starting out so my toon is only Level 5 at the moment. Also started a toon on Dwarrowdelf (Darkon/ Human Champion/ Level 7) before finding out that CAG was going to be on Riddermark.

Interesting that you can have two toons per server (not per account), but I'm not complaining.

I cant seem to stay connected tonight for anything. I play for about 30 seconds and then lose connection and just sit there. Seems things are definitely a little overloaded in the starter areas at least.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']I cant seem to stay connected tonight for anything. I play for about 30 seconds and then lose connection and just sit there. Seems things are definitely a little overloaded in the starter areas at least.[/QUOTE]

I've had a couple of disconnects, but not too bad. I guess the F2P newcomers (which include me) are loading up the servers.

Ok, sorry folks but I haven't had time to play yet. I've been busy all day and am probably not going to start playing until tomorrow. Once I get a character rolled though, I'll post it here and maybe we could get a kinship going on (is that basically a guild?).

I decided to make an alt (Because there are only 2 classes I want to play that are non-Mines of Moria... which I don't have yet). Kaltic, Human Minstrel.

So you should know all my names will start with the letter "K". Don't ask it is just my thing.

Hmm, I may try and join up as well. I had been thinking about giving this game a whirl (I only got to play it for about an hour during early beta), so this might be a good place to start. Let's see if it runs on the laptop... *downloading to try it out*

Yeah the kinship is the same as a guild in other MMOs.

I've added everyone as friends to try and see if anyone pops on. It actually shouldnt be too long before we are able to start the kinship. Once we have enough I'll buy the charter and get it put together.

Any ideas on a name ?

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Ok, sorry folks but I haven't had time to play yet. I've been busy all day and am probably not going to start playing until tomorrow. Once I get a character rolled though, I'll post it here and maybe we could get a kinship going on (is that basically a guild?).[/QUOTE]

Didn't you say that you added the VIP starter kit already? If so did you already receive your 500 VIP points? Since you are supposed to within like 2 or 3 days of starting the month subscription.

As for a name to the kinship... i'm not sure. Is the game ok with ass? Because if not than almost anything CAG related is thrown out (unless it is CAG). Anybody know this?

I received my bonus 500 points from the VIP this morning after activating my VIP last night.

I kinda assume that ass would be flagged in the game but not for sure.

Well I put my vote towards Cagian(s) (or CAGian(s)). That way we at least wouldn't have to bother with ass and wouldn't be the plain CAG.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']I received my bonus 500 points from the VIP this morning after activating my VIP last night. [/QUOTE]

Alright that is good to know. I am not sure if I want to use it now or wait until I level a bit first (not a big reason to wait though).

[quote name='Kaltic']Alright that is good to know. I am not sure if I want to use it now or wait until I level a bit first (not a big reason to wait though).[/QUOTE]

I added the code for the 1000 points, but have held off on the 30-day code because I figured it would take a while before my toons were ready for the higher-level content and didn't really need the 500 extra points yet.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']I added the code for the 1000 points, but have held off on the 30-day code because I figured it would take a while before my toons were ready for the higher-level content and didn't really need the 500 extra points yet.[/QUOTE]

Heh, I actually bought that and never looked into it. Didn't even know they were separate codes. Any thanks for giving me the info, I added the 1000 points but am saving the 30-day code too.

I actually forgot you can use alts to fill up the 8 minimum kinship requirements (So I can fill 5 slots). Anyhow, I don't agree with putting any stuff before or after CAG, such as CAGians. Should come up with something a little more creative like:

Fellowship of CAG
CAG Fellowship
Followers of CAG
Minions of CAG

Those sound pretty bad, I'll be honest, but I'll take them over anything tacked onto "CAG" itself. Time to brood on some more creative names to use. (Such as "CAG Ent Right" or "Hobbitual CAG")

EDIT: Of course we could break the mold of using CAG but still keeping it CAG themed like "Would Buy That For A Gold".

C A G - Courageous Agents and Gentlemen.

C A G - Citizens Against Gnomes.

[quote name='Megazell']C A G - Citizens Against Gnomes.[/QUOTE]

:lol: For some silly reason I actually quite like that one.

[quote name='Draekon']
Fellowship of CAG
CAG Fellowship
Followers of CAG
Minions of CAG

Those sound pretty bad, I'll be honest, but I'll take them over anything tacked onto "CAG" itself. Time to brood on some more creative names to use. (Such as "CAG Ent Right" or "Hobbitual CAG")

EDIT: Of course we could break the mold of using CAG but still keeping it CAG themed like "Would Buy That For A Gold".[/QUOTE]

Along those same lines we could also do something like ..

The CAG Council
Merchants of the Mark

Both are derived from actual group in Middle Earth

I'm really digging Citizens Against Gnomes.

[quote name='Kaltic']Didn't you say that you added the VIP starter kit already? If so did you already receive your 500 VIP points? Since you are supposed to within like 2 or 3 days of starting the month subscription.[/QUOTE]

I did add the VIP code to my account (but I wish I would have waited to activate until I had depleted the free content), but have not gotten my 500 points yet.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']I'm really digging Citizens Against Gnomes.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much agree. Still thinking of more names that have CAG, are CAG themed, or keep the same abbreviation as CAG as we still have a little time before we decide.

Who's going to be the leader of the Kinship by the way?

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']I did add the VIP code to my account (but I wish I would have waited to activate until I had depleted the free content), but have not gotten my 500 points yet.[/QUOTE]

Make sure that you make as many characters as you can so when you do end up as a Premium down the road you keep some of the once VIP benefits that stay with you on the downgrade (like having 5 bags).

Ages ago, I bought a hard copy of the game for $6. Would that retail activation code (that comes with the 30 days gameplay) get me any subscriber benefits now, or does that only work for the Mines of Moria expansion activation codes?

[quote name='LifesBane']Ages ago, I bought a hard copy of the game for $6. Would that retail activation code (that comes with the 30 days gameplay) get me any subscriber benefits now, or does that only work for the Mines of Moria expansion activation codes?[/QUOTE]

I assume that any key from a physical disc comes with 30 free days (VIP). If you used that and then got Mines of Moria, I don't think you'd get an extra free month of VIP but instead just the usual expansion benefit of Mines of Moria. However I don't really know for certain. For example:

People who bought the VIP starter pack for $5 during the sale the other day, the free VIP month worked for new players and players who had bought the original game. However players like me who bought all the expansions couldn't get it to work, which sucks. Regardless, the 1000 points for $5 was still quite worth it.

[quote name='LifesBane']Ages ago, I bought a hard copy of the game for $6. Would that retail activation code (that comes with the 30 days gameplay) get me any subscriber benefits now, or does that only work for the Mines of Moria expansion activation codes?[/QUOTE]

If you haven't used that code, then yes, I believe you would get 30 days VIP access and all of the benefits that come with VIP status (more character slots/500 points a month/5 bags/etc). But once that 30 days runs out, then you return to Premium status and all of the quests in Eriador (besides starting zones and the Epic Storyline questline) will become unavailable to you.

[quote name='Megazell']C A G - Courageous Agents and Gentlemen.

C A G - Citizens Against Gnomes.[/QUOTE]

Calling All Gollums - I don't compare myself to Gollum, but maybe if you tried to take away my precious games there might be some similarities ;)

[quote name='Draekon']Pretty much agree. Still thinking of more names that have CAG, are CAG themed, or keep the same abbreviation as CAG as we still have a little time before we decide.

Who's going to be the leader of the Kinship by the way.[/QUOTE]

Unless anyone has an issue with it ill head up the kinship. I've ran guilds on WOW, DAoC, Aion, and EQ2 in the past so i am fairly familiar with it.

[quote name='Guerrilla']Collective Anarchist Gang? :cool:[/QUOTE]

^ I like that one :)

[quote name='Megiddo_CAG']Interesting, installing it right now, haven't played an MMO since FF11.[/QUOTE]

I wish that game would go free... I absolutely loved it, but didn't want to pay each month. Then a lost my characters (after 3 months of inactivity your characters go bye bye) so I decided to never go back.

Great thing about F2P MMOs. I never feel like I have a commitment to play them. If I pay $15 a month it feels like I HAVE to get my play time worth of it. With this I could not play for 3 months and be perfectly fine with it.

EDIT: Also I am digging Citizens Against Gnomes.

bread's done
Back