Photo
- - - - -

Pinball FX 2 - Free Paranormal table from 10/26 to 11/2!!!

• Please log in to reply
821 replies to this topic

#31 Pure Apathy

Pure Apathy

I got paid!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:46 PM

How so? I find it very accurate. They've improved the physics model over Pinball FX for sure, and likely use a tweaked physics engine from Zen Pinball over on the PS3.

The tilt doesn't seem to work very well at all for me. Plus there are times the ball seems to just hover for less than a split second and then drop down.

Formerly known as RawisJericho

Posted Image

#32 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:05 PM

Damn I'm in love... again. I kinda freaked out when I had a few check marks on the all downloads list and not all of the tables I owned. However the game recognized my tables and I'm downloading them now. Sheit, 322Megs and then 250 Megs for the tables I already own. That and RDR's Undead Nightmare Collection and I need to get Lara Croft DLC hahaha. My 120 Gig hdd is running out of space!

Omg this has elements of Game Room; challenges, highscores and such!
N7_Spectres are not trained, but chosen_N7, Check out my personal Gaming 4 Life gaming blog for gaming talk.Spybreaker.pnguc.png
:D Destiny, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Sunset Overdrive, The Master Chief Collection, The Witcher 3
3DS Friend Code: 0903-2908-9378

#33 ddhex27

ddhex27

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:08 PM

The new tables are amazing. The weight of the ball seems a tiny bit heavier than Zen pinball, but still no where near close to Williams.

Great, but not perfect.

#34 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:09 PM

Are their DLC machines you can buy for Pinball FX 2 now, or just the built-in ones? I ask because if I buy this I'll have 400 points left to spend to get the 800 points back. Can you buy the older game's machines as DLC? Any of those worth getting?

Also, I hope the physics are up there with Pinball Hall of Fame. Anything less would be a disappointment (and even PHoF wasn't perfect, but it was certainly way, way better then anything else.)

#35 mtxbass1

mtxbass1

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2010 - 05:11 PM

Are their DLC machines you can buy for Pinball FX 2 now, or just the built-in ones? I ask because if I buy this I'll have 400 points left to spend to get the 800 points back. Can you buy the older game's machines as DLC? Any of those worth getting?

Also, I hope the physics are up there with Pinball Hall of Fame. Anything less would be a disappointment (and even PHoF wasn't perfect, but it was certainly way, way better then anything else.)

Yes, you can buy the older tables. I think they are somewhere from 200-240 points each. I've got all the old tables except Excalibur. Rocky and Bullwinkle is good, as is Buccaneer. The Street Fighter table is hard as hell.

All tables should have a trial now...

Biolab is an absolutely amazing table. There is a pretty cool minigame where you guide the ball through a maze by using the bumpers. Great graphics and sound on that one.

Edited by mtxbass1, 27 October 2010 - 06:04 PM.

#36 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:09 PM

You do realize you're comparing a retail game to an arcade game. I think with the amount of space they had to deal with they did a pretty good job making a fun realistic pinball game.
N7_Spectres are not trained, but chosen_N7, Check out my personal Gaming 4 Life gaming blog for gaming talk.Spybreaker.pnguc.png
:D Destiny, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Sunset Overdrive, The Master Chief Collection, The Witcher 3

#37 intoxicated662

intoxicated662

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:41 PM

I really enjoy this new game and the updated tables especially the purchased ones but the rocky & bullwinkle seems a little bit clunky/slow to me.

#38 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:03 PM

I really enjoy this new game and the updated tables especially the purchased ones but the rocky & bullwinkle seems a little bit clunky/slow to me.

I just finished demoing all the classic FX tables, and I think Rocky & Bullwinkle emerges as the least interesting. The table feels like a tiny child-sized table, like, if you were at an arcade, this would be one for the kiddies.

Do we know what the Avatar awards are for this game? Pics?

#39 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:43 PM

I can't believe this but I feel a bit of nostalgia with the original Pinball FX tables. They're not even that old though! Haha I really love Speed Machine more, just feels and looks so good.

By the way the Rocky and Bullwinkle table is the most produced table within the bunch so I don't understand your reasoning thinking it's crap.

Edited by Spybreak8, 27 October 2010 - 10:13 PM.
Rocky Table Opinion

#40 Khalid

Khalid

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:27 PM

I just finished demoing all the classic FX tables, and I think Rocky & Bullwinkle emerges as the least interesting. The table feels like a tiny child-sized table, like, if you were at an arcade, this would be one for the kiddies.

Do we know what the Avatar awards are for this game? Pics?

http://www.xbox360ac...ad.php?t=268867

#41 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:33 PM

Took forever to DL the original shell, and now I have to re-DL all the imported tables? + I have to DL all the new tables... Eccchhh..

And that doesn't include the RB2 export. I won't be playing games the rest of the night. Too bad my area only has DSL...
Posted Image

#42 sp8001

sp8001

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:52 AM

Played thru all of them and they all look great. The physics are much improved over the 1st game and they feel great.

Looks like all the original tables got graphical updates as well. Buccaneer looks awesome IMO.

I am a happy camper :)

#43 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2010 - 01:52 AM

http://www.xbox360ac...ad.php?t=268867

Nice. Those look really sweet.

#44 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2010 - 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Khalid
http://www.xbox360ac....d.php?t=268867

Nice. Those look really sweet.

I'm digging the wizard shirt. :D

#45 Pure Apathy

Pure Apathy

I got paid!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2010 - 04:56 AM

How are the Earth Defense and Excalibur tables? Are they worth buying?

Formerly known as RawisJericho

Posted Image

#46 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:17 AM

I didn't notice the graphical update to Agents, but the skateboarding one that's a copy of Black Knight 2000 sure seemed to look better.

Of the new tables, I like the arabian and Lab themed ones the best.

I played this, and then zen, and it seems like zen has slightly better physics. The physics are still very good and much better than the original FX

I didn't really care for excalibur and earth defense.. I'll have to try them again.
Posted Image

#47 Redrazorback

Redrazorback

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:37 AM

I'm really enjoying this game so far. I love the updates to the graphics and physics of the original tables. Controls feel very good now. And the four new tables are well done. Now I'm tempted to buy the dlc tables from the original Pinball FX that I never got around to doing.

#48 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:04 AM

How are the Earth Defense and Excalibur tables? Are they worth buying?

Ehhh they're hit or miss I think. The main thing with both of these tables is that they're cluttered and seem very busy. That said both of them grew on me and I like Excalibur better than Earth Defense. Still I can understand liking Speed Machine, good table layout, over those two tables so I'd say try the trials.

I love the updates to the graphics and physics of the original tables.

Yeah I think I play better on the original tables and not just due to knowing the tables but because of the physics (Extreme is a good example there).

#49 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2010 - 12:07 PM

Got my review codes last night. Going to check this out tonight most likely. I never played the original so I'm going into this with an open mind.

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#50 utopianmachine

utopianmachine

Deal Ninja

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2010 - 01:19 PM

All tables should have a trial now...

Biolab is an absolutely amazing table. There is a pretty cool minigame where you guide the ball through a maze by using the bumpers. Great graphics and sound on that one.

I could be mistaken, but did all the tables have a trial beforehand?

Also, I second Biolab. It was one of the tables that made me really want the game. I traded a CAG for the codes for both the original and Pinball FX2 last night.

I'm a bit of a pinball junkie. I remember playing Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gotlieb Collection with much fondness during the brief time I owned a PSP. Pinball of the Dead for the GBA was much-loved, and Metroid Prime Pinball was a delight.

So saying, yeah, I had to own this.

By the way the Rocky and Bullwinkle table is the most produced table within the bunch so I don't understand your reasoning thinking it's crap.

What does that mean, that it's the most produced table?

I'm digging the wizard shirt. :D

I'm digging the wizard girl set. I'm a little confused about the wizard scoring system. I played this morning, and on the first table it said that I now had a wizard score of 5. It seems to have a tournament and a friends multiplier, as well as a multiplier based on how many tables I played. I played the table a second time, and my wizard score was still 5.

Does this score start over every day? Otherwise, I don't know how I'm supposed to hit 100,000 to get that avatar award.

#51 mtxbass1

mtxbass1

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2010 - 01:49 PM

Not to my knowledge. I know that every add on table I bought in part 1 was a pure blind buy.

To someone else above. I feel the same way about the older tables now. They're actually playable and fun. The nightmare dlc table used to really suck and now it's so fantastic.

I plan on supporting every single table they put out for this game.

#52 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 28 October 2010 - 01:59 PM

I tried a bit of the demo last night after finally getting the thing to download right. Live was acting very weird for my yesterday. It was saying not all services were available, but I had Pinball FX (and the Lara Croft DLC) queued up via the web page and they downloaded, but then were no where to be found. Actually they did show up in the Memory section of the Xbox settings, but Pinball FX was nowhere to be found in my list of games. I tried "redownloading" which took all of 2 seconds, but still it didn't show up. I gave up and then later it seemed like Live was back up and I could browse games in the marketplace, but still Pinball FX 2 didn't show up. So finally I deleted it from the hard drive via those memory settings and then redownloaded it and *finally* it showed up. Weird. Anyway, I liked what I played of it for the most part. The physics are certainly much better then the original (that I didn't like at all, in part because of that.) I've spent my 2400 this month, but I may pick this up with my freebie 800 points once I get that.

#53 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 28 October 2010 - 03:15 PM

I'm a bit of a pinball junkie. I remember playing Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gotlieb Collection with much fondness during the brief time I owned a PSP. Pinball of the Dead for the GBA was much-loved, and Metroid Prime Pinball was a delight.

I admit I am too. Williams Hall of Fame really got me interested in playing the real thing. There's a bowling alley/bar about 25 minutes from me that has like 40 machines, even the new ones Avatar and Iron Man!
Posted Image

#54 mtxbass1

mtxbass1

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2010 - 03:19 PM

I admit I am too. Williams Hall of Fame really got me interested in playing the real thing. There's a bowling alley/bar about 25 minutes from me that has like 40 machines, even the new ones Avatar and Iron Man!

Same here, except there's no local place to play. I've got a local contact that is wanting to sell me a completely restored Funhouse machine for $1500. It's absolutely perfect but I just can't justify that much for a single machine.

#55 reddjoey

reddjoey

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2010 - 03:35 PM

I found a table locally for sale, but the owner wants to research how much it's "worth" before he gives me a price. I am trying to lowball him because it's missing the key for the coin bank and doesn't have any balls. I'll post a pic when I get home.

OT:

While I am overloaded with AAA games to play, I spent a good amount of time yesterday with the FX1 tables and had a good time. I'm going to try and pickup some points this weekend and buy the FX2 tables and a couple DLC ones
Posted Image
Feel free to add me: Just send a msg saying you are from CAG after the FR
| Xbox Deal of the Week |

#56 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:07 PM

Also, I second Biolab. It was one of the tables that made me really want the game. I traded a CAG for the codes for both the original and Pinball FX2 last night.

So saying, yeah, I had to own this.

Yeah I have been playing virtual pinball for a while with Epic Pinball on the PC and also Metroid Pinball for the DS (the rumble pack with that game is really cool).

What does that mean, that it's the most produced table?

I'm saying it's the best table to use the license and have quality sound effects and diolague from the source material.

I'm digging the wizard girl set. I'm a little confused about the wizard scoring system. I played this morning, and on the first table it said that I now had a wizard score of 5. It seems to have a tournament and a friends multiplier, as well as a multiplier based on how many tables I played. I played the table a second time, and my wizard score was still 5.

Does this score start over every day? Otherwise, I don't know how I'm supposed to hit 100,000 to get that avatar award.

Yeah I can't figure out how to start a tournament or how that factors into the score but if you buy other tables that table multiplier will go up. I believe if you have friends you play the game as well you get a bonus there too.

I'm sitting around 126 for my Superscore and I purchased the new tables, imported the old ones and beat a few friend's highscores. Yeah haha I could play this game for hours with 13 tables to choose from now. :bouncy:

Oh one question though, with the Deep table how do you use the crane to collect the probe. I use the flipper to move the crane but always loose the probe even if I'm close to it.

Edited by Spybreak8, 28 October 2010 - 05:49 PM.

#57 woodcan

woodcan

TX Regional CAG VP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:57 PM

OK, I played a lot of pinball when I was kid but nobody ever "taught" me how to play pinball. What exactly is the tilt supposed to do? I thought it was just used in real machines to avoid free balls or cheating or something and don't quite understand the use of it in a digital pinball game.
Spoiler

#58 mtxbass1

mtxbass1

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:08 PM

OK, I played a lot of pinball when I was kid but nobody ever "taught" me how to play pinball. What exactly is the tilt supposed to do? I thought it was just used in real machines to avoid free balls or cheating or something and don't quite understand the use of it in a digital pinball game.

You can often bump a machine to shift the playing field under a ball. Lots of players will bump from the bottom of the machine to force a ball back out on to the field that has passed the bottom bumpers. It takes real skill to tilt a machine correctly, but once you learn how, it's quite awesome.

#59 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 28 October 2010 - 08:40 PM

You can often bump a machine to shift the playing field under a ball. Lots of players will bump from the bottom of the machine to force a ball back out on to the field that has passed the bottom bumpers. It takes real skill to tilt a machine correctly, but once you learn how, it's quite awesome.

Well, you use to be able to do "death saves" and "bang backs", but you haven't been able to do them on machines for quite some time now - they designed it out of newer games (newer being relative - you have to go many years back). I mean the real machines, of course. More importantly, that was, in effect, a cheat, which is why they designed it out of the games.

The real part of the game comes in the form of bumping the machine to affect the ball while it's in play (not out of play), and doing so without tilting. That's always been a part of the game. It's not a cheat - you can't just shove the machine and expect good results - too much and you're going to tilt. Pinball machines have a little pendulum inside them - a "tilt bob". It's a pendulum with a metal ring around it. If the tilt bob hits the metal ring it makes contact and you get a warning. Typically games are set up to allow two warnings, and then the third time it hits the ring you tilt. On older machines (early solid state and earlier), there were no warnings. If you were just to shove the machine the tilt bob would swing back and forth like crazy and hit it three or more times in one fell swoop and you'd tilt immediately.

There's a lot of skill to it. There's general bumping to coerce the ball somewhere (or away from somewhere), but then there's things like slap saves, which I'm pretty pretty good at. In essence you slap one side of the machine while flipping (slap the button), which for an instant jars the ball toward that flipper, then nearly immediately do the same thing on the other side. "BAP-BAP". If you do it just right you'll knock the ball over to the other flipper and then be able to flip it back up onto the playfield with that flipper. You do this when the ball is headed down the middle, but closer to one flipper then the other.

Alas, slap saves I don't think any video game has ever simulated. Not to mention the bumping in general. Pressing a button to bump the machine is not even remotely the same thing.

EDIT: while death saves and bang backs where designed out of the games, there was one Sega pinball machine that actually gave you a bonus for performing a death save. I can't remember which one it was now. It did this by noting that the ball had hit the rollover switch in an outlane, which would normally mean the ball drains. If you did a death save or bang back the ball would end up back on the playfield and if it hit another switch (likely), it then figured you'd done a death save and gave you a bonus.

EDIT2: Oops, not Sega, Data East. But really they were the same company. In fact the lone remaining pinball manufacturer, Stern, is really Sega, which was Data East. Sega bought Data East, then Gary Stern bought Sega Pinball. Anyway, the game was Data East's The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends (1993).

#60 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:05 PM

Ok I finally got how to control the crane for Secrets of the Deep and was able to grab the achievement. ^^

Anyone understand the tournament system in this game?!

Edited by Spybreak8, 29 October 2010 - 05:59 AM.