Pinball FX 2 - Free Paranormal table from 10/26 to 11/2!!!

Pure Apathy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
129 (100%)
Pinball games might not seem highly sought after anymore. Whether you blame it on the death of the arcade in America or the ever-increasing complexity of modern games, you're probably under the impression that the average gamer just isn't aching to flip a ball around a flashy cabinet.

But according to Zen Studios, its last XBLA game, Pinball FX, was one of best-selling games on Xbox Live Arcade. Come October 13, the studio will launch Pinball FX 2.

It arrives as part of Microsoft's new Game Feast promotion, a Summer of Arcade-caliber lineup taking place during the holiday season. Instead of giving it the usual sequel treatment, Zen Studios is considering Pinball FX 2 as a platform -- like Hasbro Family Game Night, the "game" can be downloaded free of charge. It won't include any tables, but you'll be able to import all of your original Pinball FX content, free of charge, and add new tables via custom content packs.

Old and new tables benefit from a revamped physics engine and graphical overhaul. The new tables are way more elaborate and really invoke the feeling of playing pinball at the arcade. While the old tables won't change cosmetically once imported into the sequel -- they're far less elaborate than their newer counterparts -- they will benefit from the updated physics, which dictate more realistic behavior for the ball.

The most fun I had with the game was in the multiplayer mode. It'll work over Xbox Live, but during my demo I was limited to split-screen play. Two players have their own individual tables, but share the goal of being the first to reach a certain score. For every missed ball, a set number of points is deducted. You can calibrate this to be five percent of your total score, ten percent of your total score or you could simply turn it off altogether. Racing toward the maximum score felt hurried and quite fun.

Pinball FX 2 will also offer comprehensive leaderboard data that will tie in some Achievements for good measure. Best three friends' scores on a table and get some Achievement points. In-game prompts tell you that you're closing in on a friend's score and update you on your own personal highlights while you play, and it's all part of the goal to make the sequel a much more social experience than its predecessor and to keep players coming back. And Pinball FX 2 already feels instantly accessible, thanks to the verisimilitude offered by its enhanced tables.

By giving the platform away free of charge, Zen gives fans of the first game a free update to all of their tables with new Achievements to earn. If you're a newcomer, you still get to try out trial versions of the newer tables and, if you enjoy them, can purchase them through a content pack. The first game's tables will also be available via another content pack.

It may be easy to write off Pinball FX 2 because it takes us back to a simpler time, but that's exactly what I appreciate about it most. There are no gimmicks, no crazy game modes, no fireballs or magical modifiers; it's just the pinball you've known all your life, except you play it on your TV.
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/31/pinball-fx-2-preview-the-pinball-youve-known-all-your-life/

Other pinball games on Xbox 360:
Pinball FX
Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection

Interesting. I wonder what new tables they'll have.

Hopefully they'll take a cue from the Excellent Williams collection and tighten up the physics to match that game closer, because the physics of FX were floatly, IMO.

I thought Zen Pinball on PS3 was better, but with this update, FX could be the new top game.

[quote name='2DMention']Interesting. I wonder what new tables they'll have.

Hopefully they'll take a cue from the Excellent Williams collection and tighten up the physics to match that game closer, because the physics of FX were floatly, IMO.

I thought Zen Pinball on PS3 was better, but with this update, FX could be the new top game.[/QUOTE]

You thought the physics in Zen Pinball were better than Pinball FX or the Williams collection? I didn't think it could get much better than the Williams collection.

Yeah. This is something I'd probably be interested in...if the Williams Collection didn't exist. There's really no topping that game at this point.

I'm really looking forward to this and I might buy a few more new tables. I was wondering why zen pinball was getting the same tables as pinball fx then I remembered that they were done by the same people. For them to give us pinball fx 2 free is great and i'm looking forward to new tables.

:applause: I wish other devs were as cool as Zen Studios. :D

The main reason i play Pinball FX from time to time is because it doesn't need a disc to play like Williams Collection haha.

[quote name='Pure Apathy']You thought the physics in Zen Pinball were better than Pinball FX or the Williams collection? I didn't think it could get much better than the Williams collection.[/QUOTE]

Nope. WIlliams still is better than zen, but I think zen is better than fx.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Yeah. This is something I'd probably be interested in...if the Williams Collection didn't exist. There's really no topping that game at this point.[/QUOTE]

If the Williams collection was releasing more tables via DLC, then I wouldn't care. As it is I'm looking forward to more tables in Pinball FX 2 and to see what they've done with the physics.

I loved the first pinball fx and bought it day 1, same thing goes for zen pinball and the tables they released on psn. I've got most of the tables on 360 as well so i'm happy to hear pinball fx 2 will be free and more companies/studios should try to implement a move like this. Pinball fx was part of a 'deal of the week' so that helped give the game more exposure and all. I for one am looking forward to getting this tomorrow and that street fighter table is killer.

when did this nomenclature of "table" come about? They've always been "pins" or "machines" dating back to the heyday of EM games by the likes of Bally, Gottlieb and Williams.

[quote name='sp8001']Just a few days away. I've really been looking forward to this. Can't wait to see it in action.[/QUOTE]

Me too. Too bad it's the same time as RB3. This game'll basically be free with the point card deals I've been getting.

I'll be curious to see if they learned anything from PHoF:tWC and got the physics close to that game.

[quote name='2DMention']Me too. Too bad it's the same time as RB3. This game'll basically be free with the point card deals I've been getting.

I'll be curious to see if they learned anything from PHoF:tWC and got the physics close to that game.[/QUOTE]

It will be free for me as well due to the Bing Reward Preview Program :)

The physics is FX1 just felt so awkward. I've seen the ball do things that would never happen in reality. It will literally stop from rolling down at an angle to dropping straight down. Like the ball is a shot-put or something. Just felt really weird. Still a lot of fun, but can't wait to check out the "shiny new engine" and "updated physics" to see how it plays. My hopes are high.

The 4 new tables look great too.

[quote name='sp8001']It will be free for me as well due to the Bing Reward Preview Program :)

The physics is FX1 just felt so awkward. I've seen the ball do things that would never happen in reality. It will literally stop from rolling down at an angle to dropping straight down. Like the ball is a shot-put or something. Just felt really weird. Still a lot of fun, but can't wait to check out the "shiny new engine" and "updated physics" to see how it plays. My hopes are high.

The 4 new tables look great too.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I'm cautiously optimisic that the physics will be better. Between their PS3 game, Zen pinball and FX, Zen pinball is slightly better with physics, though not by much.

Messed around with the demo this morning and liked it. Only played the trial of the Pasha table, but I was still impressed.

Oh, for those of us who downloaded the Bucaneer table for free hoping it would work in Pinball FX2, it doesn't.

I am REALLY surprised this was released today.

I was told by someone in direct contact with a relatively high up Microsoft Live Cert person just on Friday that it would be pushed a couple more weeks.

However, they have already been advertising it as part of their October promotion so it looks like they pushed it out.

That tells me to expect a few bugs and expect some updates soon.

Picked up the collection for 800. Seeing my old tables from the first game import in was very nice. I'm on the fence about Excalibur and Earth Defense, but the rest of the tables are pretty top notch. They've done well with this one IMO.

[quote name='Pure Apathy']Something doesn't feel right with the physics. It seems like it is off a bit..[/QUOTE]

How so? I find it very accurate. They've improved the physics model over Pinball FX for sure, and likely use a tweaked physics engine from Zen Pinball over on the PS3.

[quote name='2DMention']DLing now... (322M... Ouch!)

For those who've played it... How do the physics compare to Williams Hall of Fame or Zen Pinball?[/QUOTE]

It's very similar to Zen, if not nearly the same. Very good feeling IMO. The ball feels like it has some weight to it and I have very little problem putting it exactly where I want it.

The new boards are fantastic as well.

[quote name='mtxbass1']How so? I find it very accurate. They've improved the physics model over Pinball FX for sure, and likely use a tweaked physics engine from Zen Pinball over on the PS3.[/QUOTE]

The tilt doesn't seem to work very well at all for me. Plus there are times the ball seems to just hover for less than a split second and then drop down.

Damn I'm in love... again. I kinda freaked out when I had a few check marks on the all downloads list and not all of the tables I owned. However the game recognized my tables and I'm downloading them now. Sheit, 322Megs and then 250 Megs for the tables I already own. That and RDR's Undead Nightmare Collection and I need to get Lara Croft DLC hahaha. My 120 Gig hdd is running out of space!

Omg this has elements of Game Room; challenges, highscores and such!

The new tables are amazing. The weight of the ball seems a tiny bit heavier than Zen pinball, but still no where near close to Williams.

Great, but not perfect.

Are their DLC machines you can buy for Pinball FX 2 now, or just the built-in ones? I ask because if I buy this I'll have 400 points left to spend to get the 800 points back. Can you buy the older game's machines as DLC? Any of those worth getting?

Also, I hope the physics are up there with Pinball Hall of Fame. Anything less would be a disappointment (and even PHoF wasn't perfect, but it was certainly way, way better then anything else.)

[quote name='crunchewy']Are their DLC machines you can buy for Pinball FX 2 now, or just the built-in ones? I ask because if I buy this I'll have 400 points left to spend to get the 800 points back. Can you buy the older game's machines as DLC? Any of those worth getting?

Also, I hope the physics are up there with Pinball Hall of Fame. Anything less would be a disappointment (and even PHoF wasn't perfect, but it was certainly way, way better then anything else.)[/QUOTE]

Yes, you can buy the older tables. I think they are somewhere from 200-240 points each. I've got all the old tables except Excalibur. Rocky and Bullwinkle is good, as is Buccaneer. The Street Fighter table is hard as hell.

All tables should have a trial now...

Biolab is an absolutely amazing table. There is a pretty cool minigame where you guide the ball through a maze by using the bumpers. Great graphics and sound on that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='crunchewy']Are their DLC machines you can buy for Pinball FX 2 now, or just the built-in ones? I ask because if I buy this I'll have 400 points left to spend to get the 800 points back. Can you buy the older game's machines as DLC? Any of those worth getting?

Also, I hope the physics are up there with Pinball Hall of Fame. Anything less would be a disappointment (and even PHoF wasn't perfect, but it was certainly way, way better then anything else.)[/QUOTE]

You do realize you're comparing a retail game to an arcade game. I think with the amount of space they had to deal with they did a pretty good job making a fun realistic pinball game.

[quote name='intoxicated662']I really enjoy this new game and the updated tables especially the purchased ones but the rocky & bullwinkle seems a little bit clunky/slow to me.[/QUOTE]

I just finished demoing all the classic FX tables, and I think Rocky & Bullwinkle emerges as the least interesting. The table feels like a tiny child-sized table, like, if you were at an arcade, this would be one for the kiddies.

Do we know what the Avatar awards are for this game? Pics?

I can't believe this but I feel a bit of nostalgia with the original Pinball FX tables. They're not even that old though! Haha I really love Speed Machine more, just feels and looks so good.

By the way the Rocky and Bullwinkle table is the most produced table within the bunch so I don't understand your reasoning thinking it's crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Took forever to DL the original shell, and now I have to re-DL all the imported tables? + I have to DL all the new tables... Eccchhh..

And that doesn't include the RB2 export. I won't be playing games the rest of the night. Too bad my area only has DSL...

Played thru all of them and they all look great. The physics are much improved over the 1st game and they feel great.

Looks like all the original tables got graphical updates as well. Buccaneer looks awesome IMO.

I am a happy camper :)

I didn't notice the graphical update to Agents, but the skateboarding one that's a copy of Black Knight 2000 sure seemed to look better.

Of the new tables, I like the arabian and Lab themed ones the best.

I played this, and then zen, and it seems like zen has slightly better physics. The physics are still very good and much better than the original FX

I didn't really care for excalibur and earth defense.. I'll have to try them again.

I'm really enjoying this game so far. I love the updates to the graphics and physics of the original tables. Controls feel very good now. And the four new tables are well done. Now I'm tempted to buy the dlc tables from the original Pinball FX that I never got around to doing.

[quote name='Pure Apathy']How are the Earth Defense and Excalibur tables? Are they worth buying?[/QUOTE]

Ehhh they're hit or miss I think. The main thing with both of these tables is that they're cluttered and seem very busy. That said both of them grew on me and I like Excalibur better than Earth Defense. Still I can understand liking Speed Machine, good table layout, over those two tables so I'd say try the trials.

[quote name='Redrazorback']I love the updates to the graphics and physics of the original tables.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I think I play better on the original tables and not just due to knowing the tables but because of the physics (Extreme is a good example there).

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the physics upgrade in this! After playing the Williams Collection the original Pinball FX felt really stiff. The 2nd game makes some of those original tables which were almost unplayable really fun and much easier to navigate with the ball. If anyone wants to play multiplayer sometime feel free to add me! I'm having a blast so far with it!

bread's done
Back