CAGcast #213: The 2010 Tokyo Game Show Show

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:51 AM

CheapyD attends his 6th Tokyo Game Show, and along with Shipwreck and Wombat, shares impressions of this year's offerings.

Download - 64 minutes, 38MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):
Spoiler

Edited by CheapyD, 19 September 2010 - 03:22 PM.

#2 MethodManFTW

MethodManFTW

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:29 PM

sweet!

#3 rogXue

rogXue

Bringer of Death

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:32 PM

woot I was jonesing for my fix this week!

#4 RichMeisterMan

RichMeisterMan

Umbrella Executive

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:35 PM

Oh man, in the intro when it took you a minute to get to Shipwreck I got worried and thought maybe he wasn't there this week.

Really made me realize how much I like him on the show.

#5 Protocol Snow

Protocol Snow

Posted 19 September 2010 - 03:35 PM

Very nice surprise, CAGcast crew! :applause:

#6 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2010 - 04:15 PM

what a pleasant surprise!
Posted Image

#7 token2k6

token2k6

Posted 19 September 2010 - 04:36 PM

nice! I get so bored listening to music in my car, wish there could be a CAGcast every other day. thanks guys!!
Posted Image

My DVD/BD collection that out rivals my game collection: via DVD Profiler / My CAG tradelist.

#8 Porksta

Porksta

Sillier Mofo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:09 PM

I just noticed iTunes labeled this week's podcast "explicit".
I am famous for getting CheapyD to watch Swollen Tip while he was broadcasting live.

#9 Zero_Kirby

Zero_Kirby

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:23 PM

Very good surprise
Posted Image

#10 Mixer23

Mixer23

I was the Turkey!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:29 PM

Oh man, in the intro when it took you a minute to get to Shipwreck I got worried and thought maybe he wasn't there this week.

Really made me realize how much I like him on the show.

Same here, I got mildly panicked when it seemed like he was implying Wombat was the only other host present.

The articles I read seem to conjure up these images of Capcom executives sitting in a dark room with a cauldron and cackling about how no one will be able to buy this game used.

Do you really think I could start a fast food restaurant called McDonaldz and use the golden arches as my logo and get away with it?

#11 apathylad

apathylad

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:51 PM

On the Giantbomb discussion, it's worth mentioning that the subscriber benefits work on all the Whiskey Media sites (ComicVine, Tested, Screened, and Animevice). Becoming a yearly subscriber gets you a neat T-Shirt and no advertisements. Wikipedia summarizes the plans:

http://en.wikipedia....i/Whiskey_Media

The 5,000 subscribers number deadline got an extension, which is why the number was reached.

I saw a couple people comment that the new Dante was modeled after Ninja Theory's chief designer. I'm not sure if that's true, but I found the comparison amusing:

Posted Image

Edited by apathylad, 19 September 2010 - 10:55 PM.

#12 Guagloves

Guagloves

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:11 PM

Bocce Ball is in Sports Champions? Weird.

#13 repete

repete

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:38 PM

must download
Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 Achuba Nanoia

Achuba Nanoia

Tropical arctic fox

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:19 PM

StealhtCast, time to download. This just made my sunday a better day!
The most difficult game of all is life: 1up, no pause, no save-feature, no strategy guide. Just pray you can get someone to play co-op.

#15 MattJ1991

MattJ1991

Cheap Ass Matthew

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2010 - 08:20 PM

If Move can release some solid A+ titles that utilize the Move controls well, then I will pick it up. If it keeps releasing titles that are essentially bad PS3 games with pointless motion controls added then I won't. Simple as that.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 Phelmo

Phelmo

Phelmo 2 Strong

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:07 PM

I just noticed iTunes labeled this week's podcast "explicit".

I'm pretty sure that every single CAG-Cast is labelled as explicit.

#17 token2k6

token2k6

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:26 PM

If Move can release some solid A+ titles that utilize the Move controls well, then I will pick it up. If it keeps releasing titles that are essentially bad PS3 games with pointless motion controls added then I won't. Simple as that.

Well the way I see it, Move would be the lesser of the 3 with pointless motion controls. You're going to have triple A titles with it incorporated in. MSFT hasn't really announced any hardcore games that will use Kinect..I've heard some were announced at TGS, but not too sure..plus the fact that some PS3 games are getting patched up to utilize it, seem like they would work for the better.
Posted Image

My DVD/BD collection that out rivals my game collection: via DVD Profiler / My CAG tradelist.

#18 Nero514

Nero514

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:55 PM

Awesome New cagcast didn't thing we were gonna get one this week.

On the DmC subject yeah a lot of people on the Capcom forums during the first like 30 or so pages but most of the people not raging are upset that they are making a pointless reboot of series leaving no closure in the original story.

Great Show nonetheless

#19 HOVA uk

HOVA uk

Residential Fart Man

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:00 AM

Surprise podcast.. yaah yaaahh

Your flickr must feature several pictures of you drinking Mai Tai's otherwise tsk tsk.

#20 spineynorman

spineynorman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2010 - 01:08 AM

Woohoo! Nice surprise.

#21 Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone

Posted 20 September 2010 - 02:00 AM

CAGcast + Halo Reach = WIN

Here's to a great year of gaming in 2014   :beer:

#22 hectorlaparka

hectorlaparka

Posted 20 September 2010 - 02:24 AM

Listening.

#23 FishyJoe

FishyJoe

Posted 20 September 2010 - 02:51 AM

Nice, i'll listen to this as i grind out lt. colonel on halo reach

#24 BannedEpisode

BannedEpisode

Envious Eyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:40 AM

http://io9.com/56414...remain/gallery/

Saw this. Laughed.

#25 Fjordson

Fjordson

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:29 AM

Great episode. Glad that we got one for the week despite Cheapy's travels.

Regarding ads on Giant Bomb, there is something that you guys didn't touch on. Jeff and other staffers have said that they actually do have trouble getting ads. According to them, they've been told by companies numerous times that Giant Bomb reaches a very core market as far gaming goes so they feel ads wouldn't be all that effective on the site since they would be preaching to an audience who's already converted as far as gaming and gaming-related products. The other part of it goes in agreement with what Shipwreck said. Jeff's stated that they don't want to bombard visitors with obtrusive, unrelated ads. Both of those things sort of puts them in a bind when it comes to getting ad revenue.

Also, regarding Master Chief, I'm surprised Wombat and Shipwreck expected Bungie to wrap up Master Chief's story. Microsoft has spent a few years now building 343 Industries for that very purpose so that they can continue the franchise. It's been all but confirmed that 343 will make, or is already making what will essentially be Halo 4. Glad to hear you're enjoying the game, though. I'll be interested to hear what you think of multiplayer.

Once again, quality episode. Thanks for stayin' up late Cheapy!

#26 banodyne

banodyne

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:59 PM

Master Chief is in Halo: Reach. He's a hidden easter egg.

#27 WTPolaris

WTPolaris

Atypically Typical

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:34 PM

Hey guys, loved the Podcast this week. I thought I would make it a point to reply since Cheapy mentioned that he had gone to a Japanese Beer Garden in Tokyo that I would post about my similar experience when I was in Osaka in August and went to a Beer Garden myself. Though the Beer Garden I went to had Asahi beer and not Suntory(boy do I miss Chu Hi, by the way.), it also had something very unique, a very tiny Japanese woman singing full on German drinking songs. I thought CAG might get a kick out of this so I'm posting a video I took with my camera(sorry for the quality, it's on a tiny camera made for taking static photos.)

I loved the Beer Garden though! The one in Osaka is in the basement of what was called the Phoenix building, if I remember right? Food wise, they had giant loaves of garlic bread served in beer steins as well as the requisite sausage and cheese plates and also some good pizza(Italian?!) and the usual Japanese fare with daikon "salad" out the wazoo! If you ever get way down by Osaka, Cheapy, I think it's worth a stop in if only for the entertainment!

#28 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:35 PM

Just started listneing, eh, this episode sounded a tad muffled to me.

btw, Razor Callahan was from NFS: Most Wanted.
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#29 strife18

strife18

Finger Ling-ling Good!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:04 PM

Cheapy, I loved the remix of of Jamrock by Damien Marley at the start!
I have to finish the CAGcast but just wanted to post this before I forgot.
keep up the good work!
Posted Image

#30 Knoell

Knoell

Achievement Unlocked

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:40 PM

Am I just being dumb or is cagcast #213 not on itunes right now?