CAGcast #213: The 2010 Tokyo Game Show Show

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]CheapyD attends his 6th Tokyo Game Show, and along with Shipwreck and Wombat, shares impressions of this year's offerings.

[podcast]122[/podcast]
Download - 64 minutes, 38MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):
Intro: Jam Baile Rock - DJ Sujinho & Cassiano

Follow us on twitter
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Outro: Flash's Theme Reprise - Queen - Flash Gordon Soundtrack

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh man, in the intro when it took you a minute to get to Shipwreck I got worried and thought maybe he wasn't there this week.

Really made me realize how much I like him on the show.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Oh man, in the intro when it took you a minute to get to Shipwreck I got worried and thought maybe he wasn't there this week.

Really made me realize how much I like him on the show.[/QUOTE]

Same here, I got mildly panicked when it seemed like he was implying Wombat was the only other host present.

On the Giantbomb discussion, it's worth mentioning that the subscriber benefits work on all the Whiskey Media sites (ComicVine, Tested, Screened, and Animevice). Becoming a yearly subscriber gets you a neat T-Shirt and no advertisements. Wikipedia summarizes the plans:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey_Media

The 5,000 subscribers number deadline got an extension, which is why the number was reached.

I saw a couple people comment that the new Dante was modeled after Ninja Theory's chief designer. I'm not sure if that's true, but I found the comparison amusing:

1527653-yep4.jpg

If Move can release some solid A+ titles that utilize the Move controls well, then I will pick it up. If it keeps releasing titles that are essentially bad PS3 games with pointless motion controls added then I won't. Simple as that.

[quote name='Porksta']I just noticed iTunes labeled this week's podcast "explicit".[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that every single CAG-Cast is labelled as explicit.

[quote name='MattJ1991']If Move can release some solid A+ titles that utilize the Move controls well, then I will pick it up. If it keeps releasing titles that are essentially bad PS3 games with pointless motion controls added then I won't. Simple as that.[/QUOTE]

Well the way I see it, Move would be the lesser of the 3 with pointless motion controls. You're going to have triple A titles with it incorporated in. MSFT hasn't really announced any hardcore games that will use Kinect..I've heard some were announced at TGS, but not too sure..plus the fact that some PS3 games are getting patched up to utilize it, seem like they would work for the better.

Awesome New cagcast didn't thing we were gonna get one this week.

On the DmC subject yeah a lot of people on the Capcom forums during the first like 30 or so pages but most of the people not raging are upset that they are making a pointless reboot of series leaving no closure in the original story.

Great Show nonetheless

Surprise podcast.. yaah yaaahh

Your flickr must feature several pictures of you drinking Mai Tai's otherwise tsk tsk.

Great episode. Glad that we got one for the week despite Cheapy's travels.

Regarding ads on Giant Bomb, there is something that you guys didn't touch on. Jeff and other staffers have said that they actually do have trouble getting ads. According to them, they've been told by companies numerous times that Giant Bomb reaches a very core market as far gaming goes so they feel ads wouldn't be all that effective on the site since they would be preaching to an audience who's already converted as far as gaming and gaming-related products. The other part of it goes in agreement with what Shipwreck said. Jeff's stated that they don't want to bombard visitors with obtrusive, unrelated ads. Both of those things sort of puts them in a bind when it comes to getting ad revenue.

Also, regarding Master Chief, I'm surprised Wombat and Shipwreck expected Bungie to wrap up Master Chief's story. Microsoft has spent a few years now building 343 Industries for that very purpose so that they can continue the franchise. It's been all but confirmed that 343 will make, or is already making what will essentially be Halo 4. Glad to hear you're enjoying the game, though. I'll be interested to hear what you think of multiplayer.

Once again, quality episode. Thanks for stayin' up late Cheapy!

Hey guys, loved the Podcast this week. I thought I would make it a point to reply since Cheapy mentioned that he had gone to a Japanese Beer Garden in Tokyo that I would post about my similar experience when I was in Osaka in August and went to a Beer Garden myself. Though the Beer Garden I went to had Asahi beer and not Suntory(boy do I miss Chu Hi, by the way.), it also had something very unique, a very tiny Japanese woman singing full on German drinking songs. I thought CAG might get a kick out of this so I'm posting a video I took with my camera(sorry for the quality, it's on a tiny camera made for taking static photos.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atqeaEMm9RY

I loved the Beer Garden though! The one in Osaka is in the basement of what was called the Phoenix building, if I remember right? Food wise, they had giant loaves of garlic bread served in beer steins as well as the requisite sausage and cheese plates and also some good pizza(Italian?!) and the usual Japanese fare with daikon "salad" out the wazoo! If you ever get way down by Osaka, Cheapy, I think it's worth a stop in if only for the entertainment!

Just started listneing, eh, this episode sounded a tad muffled to me.

btw, Razor Callahan was from NFS: Most Wanted.

Cheapy, I loved the remix of of Jamrock by Damien Marley at the start!
I have to finish the CAGcast but just wanted to post this before I forgot.
keep up the good work!

I would like to comment on the Giantbomb issue as well.

When they did their major event, "The Big live live show...LIVE!" it was their way of introducing a lot of things. The first was the inclusion of their subscription system.

They said from day 1 they wanted minimal ads on their site. They were never against ads, or anything like that. It was just a overall philosophy that ads could hinder the experience of the user. So they wanted to make sure the ads they put on the site were not intrusive. Once their live show aired, they implemented many more ads to the website. No where near the amount that are on many sites, and not as frequent but they are there.

Also, they have quests (little games within the site that earns you points for use of the site similar to achievement points) that are sponsored. The subscription service was a way to subsidize the lack of ads. The subscribers have no ads whatsoever. Non-subscribers, which would be the majority of users get ads. So either way they are getting paid.

They actually have a ad sales team, and the rest of the things like most major websites like Gamespot. Giantbomb is actually a section of what is called, "Whiskey Media". They entail; Giantbomb, Anime Vice, Screened, Comic Vine, and Tested. Giantbomb being the largest. Their live event also introduced the ability to have one user/pass for all the sites. Giving users the ability to visit, comment, get updates, and view all the content from all the Whiskey Media sites.

What does this do? Gives the sales team more opportunity to put ads on each site by showing demographics of growth of all the sites. Is it a way to show somewhat artificial growth by the others sites...yes. Though, what has happened (the gamble is paying off) is that Giantbomb users have flocked to these other sites. Actively using them. Which before they knew of the other sites, but honestly did not feel it was apart of the Giantbomb family. Now, all the sites are treated by the users as equal sister sites with great content. Some sites have grown from 1-2 comments per article to 100-200 per article. Which is a great tool for any ad salesman.

So while subscriptions are a one time payment for any upgrades across all the sites (yearly or monthly), the ad revenue can be split amongst each site. That way they can have a great amount of ad revenue, coming from different areas of Whiskey Media, but still going into single Whiskey Media site. So instead of Giantbomb being a lone wolf in ads they all support each other. Obviously the biggest load to keep this going is Giantbomb because they are the premier site.

Things have grown dramatically for Giantbomb, and all the Whiskey Media sites since then. Heck, they may even have a chance of having Ice-T (Yes...THAT Ice-T) participate in the Giantbomb podcast.

So, while is it a very risky plan it is actually showing signs of success. It puts more emphasis for the sites to keep cranking out the content, and being a site for all types of geeks but honestly I think they like it that way.

Shipwreck's views on the new Dante seemed a bit inconsistent. First he says the new Dante looks like David Bowie, then he says the old Dante was the androgynous version. Surely if the new Dante looks like David Bowie then the new Dante must also be androgynous?

In any event, the new Dante actually looks more like the bastard love child of Robert Pattinson and Herman Munster.

http://www.gamezone.com/editorials/item/dmc_dante_doesnt_look_like_dante_anymore/

[quote name='figcoinc']Good Stuff.[/QUOTE]

very well done. Look normally, I like the 'off-the-cuff' conversation but Cheapy and Wombat sounded like morons in this discussion. Ship was wise to remain quiet.

[quote name='figcoinc']I would like to comment on the Giantbomb issue as well.[/QUOTE]

I have not seen any evidence of an ad team, so i'd like to know where you got that info. Also article comments are not helpful to a salesperson. Most major ad contracts stipulate that ads be in areas where comments are not allowed. My main concern was maintaining the revenue stream. Once you get the t-shirt and satisfaction of donating the 1st time, what reason do you have to renew that subscription?

I love Giant Bomb and I want them to succeed, but I just don't think the sub model should be their main source of revenue. Of course this is an outside observation, so really what do I know. But it is apparent you know as little as I do.

I think WhiskeyMedia was planning something like this all along. They have their suite of connected websites, now you have a unified log-in for all of them, and the dedicated users can pay for an ad-free experience (implying that more ads are coming) and some other bells and whistles. I don't think they ran out of money (they all just moved into a large building in SF), like any website they are just trying to figure out the best way to create some revenue.

So glad they dumped their new podcast idea, that sounded brutal.

[quote name='Wombat']I have not seen any evidence of an ad team, so i'd like to know where you got that info. Also article comments are not helpful to a salesperson. Most major ad contracts stipulate that ads be in areas where comments are not allowed. My main concern was maintaining the revenue stream. Once you get the t-shirt and satisfaction of donating the 1st time, what reason do you have to renew that subscription?

I love Giant Bomb and I want them to succeed, but I just don't think the sub model should be their main source of revenue. Of course this is an outside observation, so really what do I know. But it is apparent you know as little as I do.[/QUOTE]

They have mentioned a few times in their videos they have a partnership with a group that handles ads, and I believe they mentioned a few times in their video where they showed their new office. Of course only in passing because they rather speak about videogames/shenanigans. You can see a overview of what I said if you go to the marketing and advertising site.

http://whiskeymedia.com/advertise.shtml

The Ad Sales partnership is with Six Apart.

http://www.sixapart.com/about/press/2010/06/whiskey-media-and-six-apart-an.html

Six Apart brings them possible Ads, or markets for them but the Editors of each of Whiskey's site approves which ads that appears on the site. I know of Six Apart because a personal friend used them for a now defunct site (not Six Apart's fault).

If I remember right Wombat your job relates to Ads. Specifically a online ad groups. So it is understandable that this model makes little sense to you. To be honest I see the possibility, but it is a huge risk. Not the model I would embrace.

I honestly wish them the best. I did sign up for the yearly membership mainly as a supporter. They did state they have many more benefits coming to members very soon. I am sure they had ideas planned for quite some time. Just wanted to get this put forth to the community to see the reaction, and adjust accordingly. Now the hard work comes in keeping those subscribers.

So they do have Ad Partners, Ads, click-through revenue (similar to what Cheapy uses in terms of Amazon/Gamespot), and of course growing demographics on individual sites (especially now with multipass). So the comments statement I used was a basic example of something to show growth on each individual site. I am sure demo-graphical traffic data shows five rapidly growing user bases via their five sites. I just used the comments item as a representation that those sites traffic has risen. Which it has.

On a personal note, "But it is apparent you know as little as I do." was not needed, or appreciated Wombat. While I may not know the exact business model of Whiskey as do you; I was simply trying to do a analytical look at their business model based on what I seen, heard, and read while following the site. Very similarly to what you did, and do with many business plans from in other videogame subjects over the years. That was a back-handed insult that reeked of denigration considering I was not disrespectful to you, nor your analysis of their situation on the CAGcast.

Not every post on a message board is a invitation for argument, but at times a way for great conversation. If you had information, or a great point that may change may way of viewing a situation that would be great. I do not post as if my statement is the end-all-be-all, nor as nothing more than conjecture in hopes of learning more through discussion. If you did not mean it that way that is fine, since nuance of speech does not translate well via text on a message board. I just wanted to mention it.

[quote name='figcoinc'] Lots of stuff.[/QUOTE]

First, I am sorry you were offended and I apologize. Having some experience, I will say that using an ad network can be great way to add additional revenue to your site. It works best when used as addition to an internal sales person. Nothing is better to attract sales then someone who needs them. So I stand by my point that investing in an internal sales person is a direction they may want to consider. Again I apologize if I came off like a jerk.

Great Cagcast like always.

I must say I admire CheapyD as a father, being a parent and knowing how to let his son Tai to gaming is a great responsibility. Also I like how He keeps his privacy around his family, people wanting to see Miss CheapyD on photos after hearing her voice on episode 200th is just disturbing. (like Wombat said back then, rewinding, listening, finishing, going to sleep)

Keep the good work and keep the podcast free, because is one of the best sources on promoting a site.

[quote name='Wombat']First, I am sorry you were offended and I apologize. Having some experience, I will say that using an ad network can be great way to add additional revenue to your site. It works best when used as addition to an internal sales person. Nothing is better to attract sales then someone who needs them. So I stand by my point that investing in an internal sales person is a direction they may want to consider. Again I apologize if I came off like a jerk.[/QUOTE]

It is OK Wombat. I was just confused by the reaction. I assumed that it was not your intention. I just wanted to bring it to you attention.

I do agree with you on this point. It is not a model I would adopt, but it is a very interesting concept. I would like to see how this works out, and if it does work out could it work with others?

Even it does work for Whiskey I honestly do not see it working with any other type of site. The more traditional method of gathering ad revenue is a more secure bet for income. Especially if you trying to design a site that is bigger than a just personal blog.

[quote name='SilverPR']Great Cagcast like always.

I must say I admire CheapyD as a father, being a parent and knowing how to let his son Tai to gaming is a great responsibility. Also I like how He keeps his privacy around his family, people wanting to see Miss CheapyD on photos after hearing her voice on episode 200th is just disturbing. (like Wombat said back then, rewinding, listening, finishing, going to sleep)

Keep the good work and keep the podcast free, because is one of the best sources on promoting a site.[/QUOTE]

I agree SilverPR. I have always been disturbed by the desire of people insisting on seeing Mrs. Cheapy. Why subject yourself to hordes of statements (insulting, perverted, or odd) to a group of people who view their anonymity as a badge to be inappropriate. If she ever did decide to show herself great, but that is a personal decision she would make.

I do agree with the rest of that statement, but I would pass that on to Ship and Wombat as well. They work hard, do their best to gives us information and entertain us. Yes, it has opened doors to connections most of us will never obtain in the gaming world, but it is not their career (with obvious exception to Cheapy unless he sells this website).

Nice work squeezing out a podcast this week. Thoroughly enjoyed.

Not a lot of turdie talk lately. Cheapy, have you heeded your critics? Say it isn't so.

Still my favorite gaming podcast. Best sound quality, best pace. I tried listening to gam3r's Hit Points, and although it has potential, there is too much laughing into the mics (glad you're having a good time, but it's annoying to listen to) and mixed production/quality is too annoying for an hour.

Game Informer's up to 40 episodes, and there has been clear improvement. When the topic is interesting, I listen to that one.

Plus other podcasts have an issue with pacing. I don't know if it's intentional, but it makes for a more pleasant 'cast if you don't spend 10 minutes talking about BFBC2 without covering any new ground.

So what podcasts are you guys listening to and liking lately?

CAGcast- still the beast!

TGS is probably a bit more expensive of a show to attend as a publisher/developer since you have to travel all the way to Tokyo if you don't have a Japanese branch and then any Western games you could show probably aren't worth showing to the audience due to their lack of interest. At E3, you'll see a ton of companies from Europe, North America, and Japan since the audience is a bit more broad and full of the media with less of the general public there.

Giant Bomb and the other sites has more ads around the video pages from what I've seen. I don't think they're out of money since they wouldn't have moved to new, bigger offices and added two new sites with their own new staff members earlier this year. They'd just rather get money/support from their userbase than from advertisers just for the sake of being able to keep doing what they want to do. Now they have the opportunity to just add new features and content just for their users to keep them happy rather than just for having more places for ads so their advertisers are happy, which leaves the users as second fiddle. It wouldn't work for many sites since the staff has to make most of the content, but the users fill in the wikis on Giant Bomb, Screened, and the other sites so that they can focus on reviews, videos, podcasts, and other content that they want to do.

The podcast "perk" was one of the two dumbest moves they've pulled with the subscription, as they held the podcast hostage to try to get more subscribers when they had to be sure that they'd hit the target anyway. Not touching Screened, Tested, or any of the other podcasts shows that they weren't serious about it. The other issue is the complete lack of detailed info on what the subscription has to offer, as I've seen bits and pieces in the podcast, the Whiskey Media Blog, the Big Live Live Show, and their twitter account, but nothing in one place.

I found out about the podcast being held hostage on the podcast and was really disappointed until I found out about them offering the chance to get it freed with their Big Live Live Show, a seven hour streamed show on justin.tv, and that they reached that goal when I eventually saw links to their twitter account. None of this information was on Giant Bomb, Whiskey Media's site, or any kind of central Whiskey Media sub page that explained what your $50 got you. The closest I could find was a subscription FAQ that was all about the shirt and billing details.

Good show.

bread's done
Back