3D Blu-Ray thread

• Please log in to reply
2913 replies to this topic

#1861 lukenot

lukenot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

I've been searching for really good/cheap DLP Link glasses ever since the 3D adapter came out for my 65" Mitsubishi DLP. I've been through a lot of glasses on ebay. Up to this point my overall favorite were TrueDepth 3D, comfortable fit, decent image, rechargeable, but there was always slight ghosting at the opposing edges of the screen. Ghosting of the far left side of the screen in the right eye, and vice versa. It wasn't too much of a distraction because I was focused in the center of the screen while gaming but at $60 for a single pair I wasn't even considering buying more, although I always had that nagging "what if something happens to them" in the back of my mind.

Recently I posted a deal on XpanD X102s, which I myself purchased. 4 pairs of glasses for less than one pair of TrueDepths and I've always heard such great things about XpanDs. Wow, was I surprised. Those glasses sucked ... bad! They cast this dark blueish hue, had extreme ghosting, arrived with dead batteries inside, and lost sync during under certain conditions, I'll get to that later. I was able to get replacement glasses and batteries from XpanD for the syncing and battery issues but the color cast and extreme ghosting was stil very much prevalent in the newer revision replacements. So now I have 8 pairs of glasses that still suck. :lol:

Previous to getting the XpanDs I had experienced the syncing issues, shifting colors with the eventual loss of sync, with other glasses while playing Uncharted 3, specifically the beginning of Chapter 18 - The Rub' al Khali. So in turn this has become my test for any new glasses I buy, the TrueDepth 3D and an older pair of no name box-framed glasses I have get through this without issue.

So after being disappointed with both revisions of the XpanDs and being back to only having one really good pair of DLP Link glasses, I went back to ebay to see if there were any new glasses that looked decent enough to try. I had bought some SainSonics previously and really liked how they looked and fit but they had the same syncing issues. So I found some cheap SainSonics, a different model, for $20(+$3 S&H) but I really didn't want to deal with the hassle if they didn't work out right and then I saw these ...

Posted Image

... at $24 I had to buy them! :bouncy:

So I got them last night and have hardly put them through their paces, only about a half hour of Skyrim really late last night and the Uncharted test a few times first thing this morning. They fit and feel great, very light-weight, and comfortable on the nose, more like passive glasses than active glasses. They do feel a little cheap but from what I've seen so far optically they are far superior to my TrueDepths, I didn't see any ghosting on my setup whatsoever. I had to turn my head almost to the point where my eye wasn't even looking through the lens anymore. The only issue I had so far was with polarity and that was during the Uncharted test, when the screen washes out and fades back in they seem to lose sync very quickly and sometimes this swap eyes on you, easily remedied by tapping the power button to swap polarity. Aside from that they worked flawlessly during the test, no shifting colors or loss of sync. I'll definitely have to test them out more extensively to see if other things trigger the eye swapping, which would really suck for people that aren't used to 3D and can't tell it's reversed because it can cause quite an eyestrain.

I've been meaning to post something about the extra XpanDs I have, I have 4 pairs of X102SUEs. If anyone is using them, you are pleased with them and would like another pair or two let me know. We can work something out, I don't want anything for them and might even cover the shipping if it's cheap enough. It'll just be glasses though as the batteries were dead on arrival and I'm not sure if I'm using other glasses yet.

Wanted to follow up with some feedback on these glasses now that I have been using them for a few days.

They are fantastic. By far, the sharpest DLP link glasses I own. I will have to recalibrate my brightness and contrast a hair, but these are way superior to the Xpands and Ultraclears I have been using over the past year. They are also very comfortable and fit right over my normal glasses without issue.

Off to order another pair.

#1862 pjb16

pjb16

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

I may have to order a pair to try out based off your guys reviews. Sick of my Xpands awful battery life.

#1863 starmask2k3

starmask2k3

CAG MASTER'S

• Trading Ban

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

anyone see silent hill in 3D how was it i was going to see it today but it's out of the regal :-(

#1864 starmask2k3

starmask2k3

CAG MASTER'S

• Trading Ban

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:36 PM

awsome, been waiting to pick up Titanic 3D. on another note... I know a lot of folks say that this is a pretty bad and not much 3D, but for those who care Clash of the Titans 3D is on sale for $9.99 new and $24.99 used!

http://www.gohasting...u/282475372.uts

hows the 3D boob part that's all i care about :lol:

#1865 starmask2k3

starmask2k3

CAG MASTER'S

• Trading Ban

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

do you think we will see any anime 3D blu-ray (real anime not cartoon)movies out soon

#1866 psunami

psunami

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:36 AM

Best Buy is selling the Sony 3D glasses for $19.99 right now.

Just bought 2 additional pairs for our theater. (It limits you to 1 per order.)

https://deals.bestbu...ica 3d glasses

#1867 SonictheHedgehog1337

SonictheHedgehog1337

That guy with the creepy signature

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

hows the 3D boob part that's all i care about :lol:

Worth the price for the circa 1997 Kate Winslet breasts. I didn't notice much 3D effect on the boobs themselves. Only on the background and foreground of the shot. They do look very good in general thanks to the remastered picture quality. It definitely looks a lot better than the VHS copy I wore out when I was 9 years old.

#1868 anderson4145

anderson4145

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

Sony Computer Entertainment America - PlayStation 3D Display Bundle $99.99 fantastic deal
http://www.bestbuy.c...&st=playstation tv&cp=1&lp=1

#1869 Sk

Sk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

The amazing Spider-Man is 19.99 on amazon right now.
http://www.amazon.co...g=bluray-034-20

#1870 md4man

md4man

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

The amazing Spider-Man is 19.99 on amazon right now.
http://www.amazon.co...g=bluray-034-20

For those that need nothing else to bump up the Amazon total to $25, Best Buy has it for the same price as well:
Link

#1871 Gameboy415

Gameboy415

16-bits of awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

Best Buy is selling the Sony 3D glasses for $19.99 right now.

Just bought 2 additional pairs for our theater. (It limits you to 1 per order.)

https://deals.bestbu...ica 3d glasses

They're $19.99 each at Amazon as well!
I grabbed 2 pairs myself. :D
Posted Image

#1872 doubledown

doubledown

Funky Daddy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:46 AM

Amazon.uk will have the Universal Monsters set on sale tomorrow. Not sure of the price. Has CREATURE in 3D though. I'm hoping for a deal on the movie only

#1873 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:44 AM

Amazon.uk will have the Universal Monsters set on sale tomorrow. Not sure of the price. Has CREATURE in 3D though. I'm hoping for a deal on the movie only

I wonder how low it will go. I checked earlier today when they were running the Hitchcock sale and it was like 53 bucks (mentioning because I know how much amazon prices change).

Posted Image

#1874 KyleN

KyleN

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

Thanks--was like $36 + shipping. I wish they computed the lightning deals the same way they do the regular items--you miss out on the VAT removal with the way they compute these lightning deals--they apply an adjusted discount to get it down to the lightning deal price after the VAT is already removed, so the lightning deal price is what you pay.

I figured for about twice the price of just the 3D movie you get 7 more, so why not.

#1875 anderson4145

anderson4145

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

http://www.tigerdire...SrSBmnBhCBewQhg

#1876 psunami

psunami

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

$7.29 is the cheapest shipping option.

#1877 DanteWarrior

DanteWarrior

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

Thanks. Got one for $8.60 shipped

#1878 psunami

psunami

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

Thanks. Got one for $8.60 shipped

How did you get it for $8.60 shipped? The only options here were for above $7.

#1879 KyleN

KyleN

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

How did you get it for $8.60 shipped? The only options here were for above $7.

I saw the cheap option too--economy residential only--are you trying to ship to commercial address?

Check here for Up-to-Date list of Current/Upcoming 3D BD titles (since this forum no longer has Wiki Posts)

kyool.jpg

#1880 psunami

psunami

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

That was weird, had a really old address on my account and caused the expensive shipping option. Thanks for the info all. Got it for $8.55.

#1881 grrouchie

grrouchie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

my shipping was $3.80 bringing my total to $8.77 shipped.
2013 Spending Tab

2013 Completed Games Tab

Follow me on twitter

Read my blog
That I update too often.

#1882 doubledown

doubledown

Funky Daddy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

Thanks--was like $36 + shipping. I wish they computed the lightning deals the same way they do the regular items--you miss out on the VAT removal with the way they compute these lightning deals--they apply an adjusted discount to get it down to the lightning deal price after the VAT is already removed, so the lightning deal price is what you pay.

I figured for about twice the price of just the 3D movie you get 7 more, so why not.

Totally missed out on my own deal...ugh....whoops. OH well. I really just want creature. Never drops on Amazon UK though

#1883 TsaebehT

TsaebehT

far from god

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

I watched Prometheus last night. It wasn't bad, I just didn't think it was anything special. Neither the 3D nor the movie itself was anything that'd make me watch it over again.

I may have to order a pair to try out based off your guys reviews. Sick of my Xpands awful battery life.

Have you tried modding the battery? Basically you cut it in half and fill it with a cr2032. I use a modded soldering iron with an X-acto and a small utility knife to do the job. I save the o-ring just to hold everything together but it's a little too snug to use in the glasses with it.

#1884 sparklecopy

sparklecopy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

Prometheus = In the future, Everyone will be a hipster scientist. And all those hipster scientists will be crazy ass dumb.

I watched Prometheus last night. It wasn't bad, I just didn't think it was anything special. Neither the 3D nor the movie itself was anything that'd make me watch it over again.

Have you tried modding the battery? Basically you cut it in half and fill it with a cr2032. I use a modded soldering iron with an X-acto and a small utility knife to do the job. I save the o-ring just to hold everything together but it's a little too snug to use in the glasses with it.

#1885 anderson4145

anderson4145

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

http://www.frys.com/product/7275753

#1886 supergrass

supergrass

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

Madagascar 3 is still on sale for $19.99 from Amazon and Best Buy. This is one of the best 3D movies out there in terms of popout and cool effects. Highly recommended from that standpoint.

#1887 larrythefatcat

larrythefatcat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:07 PM

I already bit on Titanic for $14.99, A Christmas Carol and Puss in Boots for $19.99 and I bought Spider-Man to return to Target... ;)

I'm very tempted to bite on Kung Fu Panda 1 & 2, Monsters vs. Aliens, Madagascar 3 and Pirates: A Band of Misfits... and the Amazon Store Card financing is making it even more tempting to get soooo much more stuff! :(

#1888 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

Madagascar 3 is still on sale for $19.99 from Amazon and Best Buy. This is one of the best 3D movies out there in terms of popout and cool effects. Highly recommended from that standpoint.

And it comes with a free $8 movie cash to see Rise Of The Guardians in theaters.

P R O V E H I T O   I N   A L T U M

LinkinPrime.jpg

30stmsymbols.png

#1889 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:37 PM

And it comes with a free $8 movie cash to see Rise Of The Guardians in theaters.

The big question is, however, I just picked up the regular Blu Combo pack for $8 yesterday, but is the 3D worth the extra $12? I'm on the fence about returning the regular copy and picking up the 3D version.

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#1890 xhonzi

xhonzi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:43 AM

Anybody else have a bunch of stuff from Amazon just sitting in "not yet shipped" state? I ordered 4 or so 3D blu last Sunday that still haven't shipped. Titanic briefly switched to "shipping soon" but is back in "not yet shipped" again.