3D Blu-Ray thread

• Please log in to reply
2739 replies to this topic

#2371 anderson4145

anderson4145

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:08 AM

Has anyone seen Jumper or Predator in 3d? If so how did it look?

#2372 KyleN

KyleN

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:13 AM

Has anyone seen Jumper or Predator in 3d? If so how did it look?

Predator is not out until December 17

Check here for Up-to-Date list of Current/Upcoming 3D BD titles (since this forum no longer has Wiki Posts)

kyool.jpg

#2373 anderson4145

anderson4145

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:57 AM

Yeah, I missed that. I also read the review of jumber 3d on Blu-ray.com and the 3d doesn't seem to be very good so I think I'll pass.

#2374 psunami

psunami

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:03 AM

Ordered Epic and Predator for $25.50.

Not a bad deal at all.  

#2375 Fatbot3

Fatbot3

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:20 PM

Is there shipping and tax on the order?

#2376 numchuk nate

numchuk nate

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

Is there shipping and tax on the order?

No tax for me (Missouri); not sure about others. I think $25 is the threshold for free shipping. Picked up Abe Lincoln's Vampires and Predator for $25.xx, free shipping.

#2377 psunami

psunami

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:22 PM

Looks like we have nothing in the way of 3D deals for Black Friday at at this point.  Perhaps Amazon will come up big at some point, but it's been a bummer to see the ads come in without any deals to this point.

#2378 xhonzi

xhonzi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:26 PM

Bummer.  I've been waiting for BF to pick up a few titles.

#2379 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:32 PM

Waited too long.  FLASH coupon is expired. :(

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#2380 Tybee

Tybee

Rowsdower!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:32 PM

Safe to assume the Disney 3D catalog experiment ended with Little Mermaid? Can't think of a lot else (anything earlier than that would look pretty strange in 3D, though Fantasia might be a fun experiment, and Fantasia 2000 would actually probably be improved with the option of 3D -- at least some segments) that I'd want to see converted, but what they did try it on worked surprisingly well.

#2381 KyleN

KyleN

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:34 PM

Safe to assume the Disney 3D catalog experiment ended with Little Mermaid? Can't think of a lot else (anything earlier than that would look pretty strange in 3D, though Fantasia might be a fun experiment, and Fantasia 2000 would actually probably be improved with the option of 3D -- at least some segments).

I would think Aladdin would have looked good--the scenes with the carpet going through the underground caverns.

I wish they would at least release the 1 converted Star Wars film, and spend the money to convert the others--even if it's just for direct-to-3D BD releases.

Check here for Up-to-Date list of Current/Upcoming 3D BD titles (since this forum no longer has Wiki Posts)

kyool.jpg

#2382 KyleN

KyleN

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:35 PM

Waited too long.  FLASH coupon is expired. :(

I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did--with a name like "FLASH" I expected it to be expired by the end of the first day.

kyool.jpg

#2383 dakota0615

dakota0615

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:42 AM

So im assuming the ones I saw in the ads werent the 3d version

#2384 psunami

psunami

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:03 AM

The Last Emperor has been converted to 3D and should be available on January 1st, 2014.

http://www.stereosco...emperor-3d.html

#2385 Tybee

Tybee

Rowsdower!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:41 AM

I would think Aladdin would have looked good--the scenes with the carpet going through the underground caverns.

I wish they would at least release the 1 converted Star Wars film, and spend the money to convert the others--even if it's just for direct-to-3D BD releases.

Yeah, true. There are others from the 90s (Tarzan, Mulan, Hercules, even Hunchback) that would do well with 3D, but as B-list (or C-list) catalog titles, they're not worth the effort, I expect. Who knows, they may do it for Aladdin as a pillar title, but I doubt it.

Pixar's another consideration. WALL•E and The Incredibles are obviously optimal 3D candidates, but thus far they've passed on converting those. I'd weirdly enjoy seeing Ratatouille in 3D as well. Bug's Life? Meh.

Whether or not we see the existing Star Wars trilogies in 3D Blu probably depends largely on how Ep. VII does in theaters. If it reinvigorates the franchise and is a big moneymaker (hard to see how it wouldn't be -- Phantom Menace made a crapload even though it was itself a load of crap), then they'll be looking for any way they can to cash in, including premium 3D editions of the existing films.

#2386 Fatbot3

Fatbot3

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:44 PM

Yeah, true. There are others from the 90s (Tarzan, Mulan, Hercules, even Hunchback) that would do well with 3D, but as B-list (or C-list) catalog titles, they're not worth the effort, I expect. Who knows, they may do it for Aladdin as a pillar title, but I doubt it.

Pixar's another consideration. WALL•E and The Incredibles are obviously optimal 3D candidates, but thus far they've passed on converting those. I'd weirdly enjoy seeing Ratatouille in 3D as well. Bug's Life? Meh.

Whether or not we see the existing Star Wars trilogies in 3D Blu probably depends largely on how Ep. VII does in theaters. If it reinvigorates the franchise and is a big moneymaker (hard to see how it wouldn't be -- Phantom Menace made a crapload even though it was itself a load of crap), then they'll be looking for any way they can to cash in, including premium 3D editions of the existing films.

There's a lot of work in converting any source into the 3D but film is harder than CGI because it's so difficult to isolate segments with a detailed level of depth. Apparently ALL pixar movies are on the dock to get the conversion as even Cars was recently re-released and Ratatouille is coming after that.

I'd believe that Mermaid was the last of the 2D as it was sent out with no fanfare and received mediocre reviews on it's conversion. I'm gettin' it though.

As a completist I'd also like to see the Star Wars movies all released in 3D though that's kind sad in it's own way considering how horrible they are (ok, ep 3 wasn't' terrible).

#2387 KyleN

KyleN

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:22 PM

As a completist I'd also like to see the Star Wars movies all released in 3D though that's kind sad in it's own way considering how horrible they are (ok, ep 3 wasn't' terrible).

It just bugs me that the episode 1 was already converted but still not released on 3D BD. I hate that there are films that were shown theatrically in 3D that still aren't available--the effort to release them is minimal. Same goes for The Ant Bully and Beowulf--and a few others that are only available on region-locked 3D BD in other countries.

kyool.jpg

#2388 TheCarsForever

TheCarsForever

The Cars Forever!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:28 PM

Anyone hearing of good Black Friday 3D Blu Ray deals?  I haven't seen many yet and was hoping I was missing them.

#2389 dakota0615

dakota0615

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:59 PM

Well I guess im done with 3d since I just sold my ps3 and they just announced that ps4 will not support 3d wtf!!!!!

#2390 dakota0615

dakota0615

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:00 PM

Well I guess im done with 3d since I just sold my ps3 and they just announced that ps4 will not support 3d wtf!!!!!

#2391 KyleN

KyleN

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:20 PM

Wow, first no DLNA support & now no 3D?! The PS4 is sounding worse every day. I don't even use my PS3 for gaming so had no plans to "upgrade" anyway.

kyool.jpg

#2392 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:33 PM

The Last Emperor has been converted to 3D and should be available on January 1st, 2014.

http://www.stereosco...emperor-3d.html

That'll be an odd one to see done in 3D, though there are certainly lots of scenes that benefit from a wider field of view in a 3D space.  I wonder if it'll be a Criterion release or some other release, as I know that would be a double-dip for me from the Criterion I already have.

I think if they finish up the Pixar catalog for 3D titles and call it done, that wouldn't surprise me.  Wall*E and Incredibles would benefit quite a bit from 3D, only if they don't make it look worse in 2D which some titles have gone through.    They just released Cars 1 on 3D, so there's more to go from Pixar.

I think Mulan and Hunchback have the possibility to work well in 3D, though Tarzan and Hercules less so. 

I thought they had completed Ep 2 for 3D conversion though scrapped it coming out because Ep 1 did so poorly when it was re-released in 3D.  I know I passed on it and from what I read in reviews, it was only worth seeing in 3D if you hadn't seen it before.

There's a lot of work in converting any source into the 3D but film is harder than CGI because it's so difficult to isolate segments with a detailed level of depth. Apparently ALL pixar movies are on the dock to get the conversion as even Cars was recently re-released and Ratatouille is coming after that.

I'd believe that Mermaid was the last of the 2D as it was sent out with no fanfare and received mediocre reviews on it's conversion. I'm gettin' it though.

There's plenty of work that gets done in 3D conversion, yes, though I think there's been a lot of work to make it quicker and better since they started back in the days of the Tim Burton Alice In Wonderland movie.  Though, there's been a number of bad post-converted 3D movies to balance out each good one.

If the Pixar movies are all slated to get post-converted 3D then I might be double-dipping on some of them, as long as they're not a bad post-conversion.

Mermaid was supposed to come out in the theaters though when Monsters Inc did so poorly, they scrapped it. I don't think we'll get any more release-to-theater scenarios for 3D converted movies, though I'll certainly pick them up when released on disc if it's not a terrible job.

It just bugs me that the episode 1 was already converted but still not released on 3D BD. I hate that there are films that were shown theatrically in 3D that still aren't available--the effort to release them is minimal. Same goes for The Ant Bully and Beowulf--and a few others that are only available on region-locked 3D BD in other countries.

They may be holding it back for Ep VII release on Star Wars Ep 1 3D.

Beowulf wasn't a big seller at the box office nor on disc, so I don't see any big financial reason to bring it to the US.  Same for Ant Bully.

#2393 psunami

psunami

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:05 PM

Wow, first no DLNA support & now no 3D?! The PS4 is sounding worse every day. I don't even use my PS3 for gaming so had no plans to "upgrade" anyway.

That is pretty damn odd.  They are saying that there is no support for it at launch, so we may get it later.  Very strange.  

#2394 jonboy71

jonboy71

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:09 PM

Not True.  Launch day patch 1.5 adds 3d support

http://www.engadget....u-ray-playback/

#2395 doubledown

doubledown

Funky Daddy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:27 PM

Not True.  Launch day patch 1.5 adds 3d support

http://www.engadget....u-ray-playback/

Hopefully that is true.  That is from the 9th, all the NEW reports are from today....

#2396 dakota0615

dakota0615

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:35 PM

Yea there is one from today on ign that says different

#2397 jonboy71

jonboy71

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:18 PM

the IGN article only states no support based on the online user guide.  It has been confirmed there will be a patch (1.5) on launch day allowing for 3D support, there is just no mention of this in the article.

http://www.ign.com/a...ort-3d-blu-rays

#2398 anderson4145

anderson4145

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:00 AM

DLNA and MP3 playback will also be patched but it won't make it in time for launch.

#2399 doubledown

doubledown

Funky Daddy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:56 AM

the IGN article only states no support based on the online user guide.  It has been confirmed there will be a patch (1.5) on launch day allowing for 3D support, there is just no mention of this in the article.

http://www.ign.com/a...ort-3d-blu-rays

The 1.50 PATCH did NOT fix the 3D Bluray.  I'm a bit bummed out since I disconnected my PS3 and now have no 3D player for my TV.  ugh.  They better get their poop together.

#2400 anderson4145

anderson4145

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:36 AM

The 1.50 PATCH did NOT fix the 3D Bluray.  I'm a bit bummed out since I disconnected my PS3 and now have no 3D player for my TV.  ugh.  They better get their poop together.

It will be added in a later patch, it was never confirmed for launch day.