Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

3D Blu-Ray thread

• Please log in to reply
2912 replies to this topic

#241 ScottsUSERID

ScottsUSERID

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:35 PM

Unfortunately they're up to $97.94 now...

Personally, I think if I buy any more glasses I'm going to get the Avatar set and sell off Avatar. Two pairs of glasses for roughly $150 isn't too bad. They aren't cross-platform compatible, but at least I don't have to deal with inaccurate color reproduction. At least that's what I've heard about these, due to different TV manufacturers using differently colored tints on the lenses...

I've read there are no issues with these glasses as you have to "sync" up the frequency and actually changes the tint on the glasses a bit to match the output of the TV brand. But once again AVS can be an ache to read threw lol.

#242 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:50 PM

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5927
Inception is being converted to 3D.

Not by Nolan or the other creators of the film:
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5944

It's a studio cash-grab, so I don't expect it to be a good thing.

I wonder if he'll change his mind about not doing The Dark Knight Rises in 3D too.

From the link I posted above, I don't think he will.

As some people try to point out over there, if you don't want to watch 3D, it's obviously already in 2D so enjoy that.
That forum is full of 3d haters. it's like they think all 2d movies are being replaced by 3d... i have yet to see a 3D exclusive movie.

The people who don't like the 3D in movies are the ones who don't see the benefit of it. Some movies made the 3D addition pointless, such as The Last Airbender and Clash Of The Titans, while others, it was a nice add-on, such as Avatar.

If they do it right, it's worth seeing the movie in 3D. If it's a cash-grab or doesn't make the 3D that worthwhile, it's not going to be a good idea.

#243 TsaebehT

TsaebehT

far from god

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:48 PM

Is anyone else using Playstation Media Server to serve 3D content to the Ps3?

I've never used the Media Server, what format is the 3D in and what's the process?

Killzone 3D is amazing, also. Fantastic job!

It's good I'll give it that, I'm playing it in 3D w/ Move, but at times it's really hard on the eyes. The aliasing is horrible being at such a low resolution lines just flicker on and off, then there's the LOD pop ups, and finally there's the lighting issues, where you're walking towards an area, say a cave, and it's fully bright and when you get to it it just "snaps" to a dark yet properly lit area.

Anyway, I had a question about these 3D Blu-Rays. Are they in actual 1080p, I mean to each eye? Games like Killzone, even though it's displayed in 1080p, are far from it.

#244 mcdaking84

mcdaking84

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:15 PM

MY dad just bought this tv, I'm trying to find him a good price on glasses

http://www.amazon.co...cp_ob_e_title_0

if you buy a panasonic tv do you get a discount or something on the starter kit?

#245 jacknicklson

jacknicklson

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:18 PM

Check out 3-d ultra clears
Reviews seem very favorable

EDIT: Apparently they dont have any for Panasonic tvs.

#246 ScottsUSERID

ScottsUSERID

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:15 PM

if you buy a panasonic tv do you get a discount or something on the starter kit?

You can try the Xpand Universal X103's. You can get them under 100 shipped most of the time.

#247 KillerRamen

KillerRamen

OMG Lilac PSP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:05 PM

No, but the Avatar kit goes on sale for $230 on Amazon all the time, so that's an option (a hell of a lot better than the $400 MSRP). You can also find the new style medium glasses on ebay for less than a hundred bucks and I've seen the old style glasses sold on Amazon for less than $100 too (I think they've hit $90 before... I don't remember). I can't speak for the quality of the 3rd party options because I've only used the Panasonic glasses.

I have the 42 inch version of that TV and it's awesome! I've really been enjoying the internet stuff a whole lot more than I thought I would. :bouncy:
Posted Image

#248 mcdaking84

mcdaking84

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:18 PM

that's good to hear. It looks awesome, I'm just happy they bought it so I can try it out and eventually buy myself one later this year. I got some promotional credit by telling them about a lower price so I bought them the avatar kit for about $200

Would you recommend getting a warranty on the tv?

#249 basketb

basketb

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:22 PM

Would you recommend getting a warranty on the tv?

An extended warranty usually provides two things:
1. a huge profit margin for the insurer.
2. piece of mind for the insured.

If you need the latter, by all means get an extended warranty. However, if you think you need an extended warranty beyond the one year Panasonic provides (for an additional one to three years) because you think your TV might break, you should ask yourself why you purchased that model in the first place.

#250 Stryffe2004

Stryffe2004

Overlord of the Obvious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:26 PM

An extended warranty usually provides two things:
1. a huge profit margin for the insurer.
2. piece of mind for the insured.

If you need the latter, by all means get an extended warranty. However, if you think you need an extended warranty beyond the one year Panasonic provides (for an additional one to three years) because you think your TV might break, you should ask yourself why you purchased that model in the first place.

Check your credit card as well. Some credit cards automatically extend the manufactuer's warranty. American Express, for example, doubles the manufacturer's warranty and that may be enough. I just bought a Mitsubishi 3D TV and bought the extended warranty for piece of mind. I had a Sony LCD rear projection that had the bulb "mess up" about a month after I bought it. the warranty took care of it and paid for it self. It has worked fine since. Moral of the story, sometimes warranties are money sinks and sometimes theyare actually good value.
Posted Image

#251 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:10 PM

Having had a 52" LCD TV require service outside its factory warranty period, extended warranties on this type of pruchase are one of the few times I'll buy one without a question. Said TV had an issue at 18 months' of life that was diagnosed to require a LCD panel replacement, was called in for service and was subsequently considered to be unrepairable due to cost ($5000 for parts and labor), so I was given 2/3rd of my purchase price towards a new set or the choice of a "comparable" replacement set. I went with the money, bought a better set with the money plus additional money out of pocket and went on with my day. The investment of the extended warranty returned more money than the cost of the warranty, so that was a worthwhile investment.

The issue is with TVs changing yearly or even more frequently than that, and with the attempts at more system integration on TVs, there's less parts as repair/replacement parts. Most of the time when the TV goes out, it's a LCD panel that needs replacement, even if it's just one of the smaller components on the panel assembly. If the panel is still being made, it'll get fixed, and if not, then it may be too expensive to fix. If it's in warranty/extended warranty, you'd either get a replacement set or money towards the purchase price of a set.

Since most 3D sets are in the 42"+ range and carry not-so-cheap pricetags, it's something to think about in regards to how long you're going to hold onto said TV.

#252 basketb

basketb

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:32 PM

Fry's B&M has the following two on sale for $9.99
Dinosaurs Alive! (Blu3D+Blu)
Grand Canyon Adventure (Blu3D+Blu)

#253 sendme

sendme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:24 PM

I have been wanting to build a HTPC for years now and when I do build one now plan on it being for 3d. I know I should be asking this on avsforums but just wondering has anyone used a nVidia card on their tv for 3d? I was wondering if you needed the nVidia glasses or the ones for the TV.

EDIT: nevermind looked it up. If I read correctly you need the glasses from nVidia just for setting up drivers. After that the ones for the TV can be used.

Edited by sendme, 04 March 2011 - 10:54 PM.

Posted Image

#254 johnmstewart

johnmstewart

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:22 AM

Fry's B&M has the following two on sale for $9.99
Dinosaurs Alive! (Blu3D+Blu)
Grand Canyon Adventure (Blu3D+Blu)

DAMNIT.

Wish I had a Frys near by.
Click the Picture to see My TradeList!

Posted Image

#255 johnmstewart

johnmstewart

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:34 AM

any idea where to get a Frys ad at?

I just found out we have one about 30 miles away!!!
Click the Picture to see My TradeList!

Posted Image

#256 basketb

basketb

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 March 2011 - 03:45 AM

In the Bay Area, it's in the newspaper. There's an on-line version here: http://newspaperads....false&pagenum=7

#257 jp2

jp2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:13 AM

if anyone's in position to test if the new 2011 Samsung glasses work with the 2010 TV's i'd very much appreciate the feedback.

Literature and a call to service seems to indicate 2011 only, but I've read multiple posts online claiming the 2011 glasses respond to both BT & IR emitters.

I'm wondering if I should chase down an MvA or HTTYD kit before they're gone for good.

While I'm at it, anyone have an inkling into Samsung/Dreamworks' plans for the non-current exclusive movies? I get the feeling MvA/HTTYD won't be retail anytime soon.

#258 doubledown

doubledown

Funky Daddy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:21 PM

if anyone's in position to test if the new 2011 Samsung glasses work with the 2010 TV's i'd very much appreciate the feedback.

Literature and a call to service seems to indicate 2011 only, but I've read multiple posts online claiming the 2011 glasses respond to both BT & IR emitters.

I'm wondering if I should chase down an MvA or HTTYD kit before they're gone for good.

While I'm at it, anyone have an inkling into Samsung/Dreamworks' plans for the non-current exclusive movies? I get the feeling MvA/HTTYD won't be retail anytime soon.

I'm interested also....I thought they were NOT though. I would assume AVS Forums might have some info....

EDIT: It appears they are NOT. Some users are reporting they are not working. This sucks and puts a bigger consumer F-UP on the whole 3D thing. Odds of 3D becoming widespread seem to be dwindling.

Edited by doubledown, 07 March 2011 - 04:58 PM.

#259 kilik64

kilik64

Carefree, Wherever We May Be

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:28 PM

I thought it was the 40 for a movie price tag that was keeping it from becoming widespread?

rcerboss bet his CAG card and lost, and now wont leave. 

http://www.cheapassg...te-september-9/

kilik123.png

#260 Stryffe2004

Stryffe2004

Overlord of the Obvious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:43 PM

I thought it was the 40 for a movie price tag that was keeping it from becoming widespread?

I don't think anyone is paying $40 for a 3D blu ray. The lack of compelling content is what is keeping market penetration low, in my opinion. There are more movie becoming available, but they really need to have two to three a month if they want to increase market share. Part of that could come from freeing up these manufacturer exclusives.

Sony is actually doing a good job of putting 3D games out. There looks to be a slow but steady trickle of 3D games starting with Killzone 3, followed by Crysis 2, Socom 4, Mortal Kombat (3D on Playstation 3 only), etc.

Hopefully broadcast 3D will become more prevalent. In the meantime, I am really enjoying my 3D. The pitcure is amazing and the 3D stuff is really nice to have at home.
Posted Image

#261 doubledown

doubledown

Funky Daddy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:00 PM

Yeah, it sucks the studios are not behind it fully. I mean Jackass 3 just came out, with no 3D.

#262 TsaebehT

TsaebehT

far from god

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:28 PM

It would be nice to see them support multiple versions of 3D as well, anaglyph, Trioviz 3D, etc. That way more people could enjoy it or at the very least give it a try. I'm pretty sure the 360/PS3 could do it, it's just a matter of them wanting to. Maybe not with the 3DBR but with the games they could. it really doesn't matter to me, I have 3D already, but it would help with market saturation. It's about getting 3D into as many people's heads as possible and eventually it'll be mainstream. Just "give" it to the elite few and it'll take longer to matter to anyone and that's even if it does in the end.

#263 jp2

jp2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:49 AM

Thanks doubledown... i think i'll try to find a reasonably priced HTTYD kit.

LOVE the movie, but I hear the glasses in that kit were still a little buggy... so will hope for the best and have them exchanged through Samsung warranty if they're too problematic.

The biggest shame on discontinuing the 2010 IR model is that pricing will remain high without retail outlets pushing stock. Soon they'll only be available as a 'part' from Samsung for full MSRP with no promo blu-ray.

#264 doubledown

doubledown

Funky Daddy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:54 PM

Thanks doubledown... i think i'll try to find a reasonably priced HTTYD kit.

LOVE the movie, but I hear the glasses in that kit were still a little buggy... so will hope for the best and have them exchanged through Samsung warranty if they're too problematic.

The biggest shame on discontinuing the 2010 IR model is that pricing will remain high without retail outlets pushing stock. Soon they'll only be available as a 'part' from Samsung for full MSRP with no promo blu-ray.

Yeah, it sounds like they have to support IR for 5 years, but after that, who knows. Although, it sounds like there are some good 3rd Party options out there. Anyone try some 3rd Part glasses? I have a Samsung LED 7000 series. I do not really like the glasses that came with my MvA kit. Although, I have a hard time spending $100 on glasses right now considering mine work.

#265 Stryffe2004

Stryffe2004

Overlord of the Obvious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:25 PM

Yeah, it sounds like they have to support IR for 5 years, but after that, who knows. Although, it sounds like there are some good 3rd Party options out there. Anyone try some 3rd Part glasses? I have a Samsung LED 7000 series. I do not really like the glasses that came with my MvA kit. Although, I have a hard time spending $100 on glasses right now considering mine work.

I have a Mitsusbishi and not a Samsung, but they use the same glasses. I have some of these:

http://www.amazon.co...99684079&sr=8-5

I also have Samsung glasses for the Shrek starter kit, but like the NXG much better. They are more comfortable and lose connection less. Samsung Amazon users seem to give them good reviews.
Posted Image

#266 jp2

jp2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:24 AM

i hear the 3rd party glasses synch much better, but are a tad heavier and brighter.

Heavier isn't much of an issue with me, but i'm concerned about the "brighter" aspect. I'd probably prefer if they were the only glasses I had, but felt it might yield a color consistency problem when using 2 sets/brands at once.

I'll stick with Samsungs so long as I get HTTYD at a fair price.

#267 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:07 AM

We have the same set.

Hows the ghosting for you? I keep wondering if newer glasses will fix it.

#268 doubledown

doubledown

Funky Daddy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:58 PM

We have the same set.

Hows the ghosting for you? I keep wondering if newer glasses will fix it.

Honestly, I've only used 3D sparingly. I've watched a few movies and a few 3D games and nothing has been horrible in my opinion. Although, I don't realyl have much to compare it to also. I've only seen one 3D movie in the theatre.

I basically got a good deal on my TV/Glasses Kit/BD Player, so that is why I went 3D.

#269 TsaebehT

TsaebehT

far from god

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:09 PM

Lol. Think about it, it's Jackass do you really even need it in 3D? :lol:

#270 GizmoGC

GizmoGC

I love Cheese

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:14 PM

Lol. Think about it, it's Jackass do you really even need it in 3D? :lol:

Since it was filmed and intended to be seen in 3D...yes.

Do we really need movies in color? 8-)